Home

Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past

Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 12:03 AM

Yesterday, one of my daughter's oldest friends and her little sister were hit by a car walking home from the library. They are both in the hospital. I believe that the man who hit them was drunk, as the mother found out today that he is still in police custody.

My daughter's friend is in very bad shape. She has a tube in her head to relieve pressure on her brain, and they don't know if she's sustained brain damage. She has two tubes down her throat, and I believe one is doing her breathing for her. They thought they would have to amputate her leg below the knee because it was mangled and blue, but the orthopedic surgeon was able to straighten and reconnect the bones and the blood flow resumed. She's had plastic surgery because her forehead was flapping in the breeze. She's been moved to a hospital in NYC for now, and they don't know how long she'll be in a coma.

Her little sister fared better, and they said it's because my daughter's friend instinctively shielded her. She also had to have surgery to repair a broken leg, and she is so traumatized that she's unable to speak, but she'll be okay.

Please pray for her. Her mother is an escapee from an abusive husband, who has never financially supported the girls. She's a wonderful mom, and I don't know how she's dealing with this. When we saw her at the hospital today, she was holding up so well, until the two of us went into the lounge, and she totally lost it.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 12:19 AM

This is very sad and I most certainly send my prayers. My heart goes out to the family, and to your daughter. She must be very upset.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 12:37 AM

I sent you a PM.

Don Cardi
Posted By: SC

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 12:40 AM

What a terrible thing!

I'll say a prayer for all of them. Tell Little Miss SB to hang in there.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 12:45 AM

I will most definitely pray for them SB
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 12:55 AM

Thats very sad news,i hope everything goes well for you.I won't say a prayer for them but i will be thinking of them SB..

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 01:01 AM

Thank you all so very much for the kind words and thoughts. I was so proud of my daughter today. She went into the room, and held her friend's hand and talked to her. I can't tell you what this girl looks like, but my daughter totally held it together until she got out of the room, and I was amazed at her strength.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 01:05 AM

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 02:26 AM

My prayers have been said!

God Be With Them!
Posted By: Ice

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 02:33 AM

Your daughter will be a stronger person after this SB.

EDIT-I remember we all lost a bunch of friends in high school in a really short period of time. My class still has reunions and I think it's b/c we learned the value of life and friends in those days.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 05:34 AM

I offer my prayers for those sisters and your daughter. This is heart-breaking, indeed. I hope for the best.

I'm sure you're proud of your daughter.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 07:39 AM

Sorry to hear that SB, how devestating! My thoughts and prayers are with them.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 06:47 PM

I will pray for them, SB. I know you'll be strong for all of them.
Posted By: bogey

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 07:10 PM

I can't offer prayers, but I do wish the best for your daughter and her friends.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 08:34 PM

Wow, this is terrible news, indeed! I hope you're daughter's friend and her little sister pull through. I send my thoughts and prayers to their family, and of course the Babe family.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 08:45 PM

That's terrible! It seems so much worse when kids get hurt not because of something they themselves did wrong, but because of someone else's stupidity. Of course it would be terrible no matter what, but this way-- I mean just walking home from the library... It's sad.

I hope and pray that your daughter's friend will pull through and eventually be okay, and her little sister as well. I also admire your daughter for her strength, this isn't an easy thing to go through. It's good that you're there for her through this, being with her and taking her to see her friend and so on. I'll keep your family and her friend's family in my prayers. Keep us updated!
Posted By: JustMe

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 09:26 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that! May God be with them!

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/07/07 10:02 PM

Thanks, guys! I spoke to her mother today. She's been transferred to a hospital in Manhattan, and her little sister should be discharged this week. The little one is going to stay with her oldest sister at a friend's house, since she can't navigate stairs right now. My daughter's friend is unchanged, but they started giving her pain medication that will not put her as "out" as the others. We're hoping that she'll start to come out of the coma soon. Keep those prayers and good wishes coming!!
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/08/07 12:21 AM

I just read this now - what a horrible thing to happen. I hope they make a full recovery, and they are most certainly in my thoughts and prayers.

Signor V.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/08/07 02:10 PM

My continued prayers for their swift and full recoveries.

SB, what are the ages of the girls, if I may ask?
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/08/07 02:26 PM

SB,

How awful! I too will pray for your daughter's friend and for a full recovery. This is heartbreaking no matter who it happens to, but speaking as a parent, I can't imagine being able to cope if this happened to my child. Truly a heavy burden to bear. I pray all goes well.

TIS

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/08/07 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
My continued prayers for their swift and full recoveries.

SB, what are the ages of the girls, if I may ask?

The girls are 7 and 16. We've know the oldest girl since she and my daughter were in 2nd grade together, and it is really rough to see her like this. She's a very pretty girl, with the most absolutely beautiful red hair you've ever seen. I think one of the hardest things to see is that they had to shave a lot of her head for her various surgeries. Just awful to see her in that bed like that.
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/08/07 03:08 PM

What a tragic story. I will continue to pray for a happy ending.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/13/07 09:06 PM

Just wanted to bump this up. My daughter's friend is still in a coma, but they are starting to wean her from the respirator and she is now breathing more than 50% on her own. We're going to try to go see her tomorrow. Her little sister is resting, but not too comfortably. She has a leg cast from hip to toe and can't use crutches because of her fractured wrist. She's NOT liking the wheelchair, but the doctor told her that the cast has to stay on for at least 6 more weeks.

Please keep those prayers and good wishes coming. They need them now more than ever.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/13/07 09:33 PM

Prayers will continue until that lovely girl is home and back to 100%. The miracle in Missouri is proof good things do happen in the end. I'll hope and pray your friend's family has as much of a joyous ending in that their daughter will be back to her old self.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/13/07 10:57 PM

Sure will SB! ;)I agree with Beth. After hearing today's miraculous story, it only confirms that although some things may take a while, there "CAN" be a happy ending. My prayers are with the family.

TIS
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/14/07 12:18 AM

SB, I'm sorry I was so late to reply, but these girls are in my prayers.

Stories like these really put things in perspective.

I wish them the best in recovery.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/14/07 01:18 AM

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it. Hearing the hope in the mother's voice this morning, it was just heart-rending.
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/14/07 03:27 AM

That's horrible. My condolences... A girl in the class ahead of me at school died earlier this year in a car accident. Very sad, considering she was supposed to graduate this year.

How is your daughter holding up in all of this, if you don't mind me asking?

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 01/14/07 03:35 AM

LLC, thank you for asking. She's hanging in there. It's been rough on her, but she's been trying to think positively. Believe it or not, we've been through this before when my other daughter was 8. One of her friends was in a snowmobile accident and was in a coma for 2 months. She has realistic expectations on what to expect.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 05:02 PM

Just wanted to let you all know that my daughter's friend began to awaken about 10 days ago. She has difficulty speaking, but they think that she's just in pain after having all the tubes down her throat rather than a neurological issue. She is able to write short notes to her mom and sisters now. Best of all, she is being moved to day to a rehab hospital just 15 minutes from our house. Her sister goes back to the orthopedic surgeon on Friday, and he hopes to be able to put her in a walking cast, since she is still unable to use crutches and she HATES the wheelchair.

I want to thank everyone here for their prayers and good wishes, because I believe they had a lot to do with this miracle.
Posted By: Ice

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 05:08 PM

Poor, poor girl. Let's all hope this is part of a greater plan. I can't believe what this kid has been through.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Just wanted to let you all know that my daughter's friend began to awaken about 10 days ago. She is able to write short notes to her mom and sisters now. Best of all, she is being moved to day to a rehab hospital just 15 minutes from our house.

Don Cardi
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 05:11 PM

Good too hear things are on the up
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 05:13 PM

Glad to hear that things are looking up for them.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 05:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up SB. Hopefully being moved so close to home and being able to see family and friends will help tremendously in what is sure to be a long recovery. Tell her she has lots of strangers sending her best wishes.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 06:58 PM

Thanks again, everyone.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 09:12 PM

Very good news. May they continue to improve each day. These sisters are obviously close, and I'm sure this terrible ordeal will bring and keep them closer for the rest of their long and happy lives.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 09:56 PM

SB

I had not seen the post before today. I just read through it and am glad, after such a horrible situation, things are getting better. And may the person responsible rot in hell.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 10:16 PM

Very glad things seem to be looking up. Prayers do help!
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 02/07/07 10:32 PM

SB, I'm so glad this update was a positive one.

We're all pulling for them.

Signor V.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 05/23/07 03:33 AM

It had been quite some time since this accident happened. My daughter's birthday is tomorrow, and she had a party Saturday night. Her best friend was there. It was difficult for her, but she wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Her recovery has been slow and often brutal, but she is walking and talking and she can read and write. She has severe short-term memory loss and is unable to do even the most simple math problems. But she is alive, she is here, we can hug her and tell her we love her, and she can do the same for us. Her little sister called last week to tell my daughter that she can finally participate in recess again!

I wanted to thank all of you for your good wishes and prayers. I can't even begin to express how wonderful it was to see the two girls together Saturday night.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 05/23/07 03:49 AM

I am so glad to hear that you're daughter's friend is coming along with her struggles. I truly believe we have angels watching over us and helping us out.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: Since You've All Offered Prayers in the Past - 05/23/07 04:34 AM

SB, I'm so truly happy to hear that they're doing better. And even more so that they're surrounded by friends and family who love them and are there for them along the way. I pray for their continued recovery.

And happy birthday to your daughter! (An extra happy one, this time, no?)
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET