Home

FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs

Posted By: J Geoff

FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 10/21/06 07:37 PM

My Stuff >> My Messages

Okay, as some of you know, importing to the new version of UBB imported many PMs that you may've deleted in the past. It didn't import all your PMs, only those that either you -- or the other person -- had NOT deleted.

The PM limit has been raised from 60 to 200.

However, you may have more than 200 in your Messages Folder after the import. You will have to go thru and delete any PMs (now called PTs) that you don't want, to get you back under the limit.

BTW - PMs are handled differently, as you've noticed. PMs are actually now considered "Private Topics" -- so there is no "Sent" or "Received" box. They are displayed as topics normally would be in the forums. Just something to get used to.

When you get a new PM, you will see the usual flashing mail icon in the Top Nav bar, between "My Stuff" and "User List"

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 10/21/06 10:40 PM

Well that answers one of my questions. I had some PM's back from 2002 and didn't remember them at all. I thought somehow some old topics/posts got transferred to my PM's. Clears that up. I still need to get use to it though.

TIS
Posted By: Double-J

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 10/22/06 03:11 AM

Wow! PM's from when Patrick still was talking to me!

I'm flabbergasted.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 10/28/06 09:01 AM

JG, I've blocked a certain member and while I no longer see what he posts on Public boards, which is a great new feature, I still receive his PMs. Any solutions?

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 10/28/06 09:04 AM

Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
JG, I've blocked a certain member and while I no longer see what he posts on Public boards, which is a great new feature, I still receive his PMs. Any solutions?

Weird, cuz it's supposed to be the opposite - his/her posts should show up in the public threads, but you shouldn't get PMs from him/her...

If you PM the details to me, I can check it out closer...
Posted By: Mignon

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 05:13 PM

Geoff,

My PM icon is flashing even though I already read it early this morning.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Geoff,

My PM icon is flashing even though I already read it early this morning.

Hmmm... that could be related to the server time being off earlier (by 12 hours in the future)... if reloading the page, relogging back in, and/or clearing your cache doesn't work, it should stop eventually...

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 05:35 PM

I refreshed, deleted the cookies. How do you clear your cache?

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 05:43 PM

I refreshed, deleted the cookies. How do you clear your cache?

In IE: Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files
In FF: Tools > Options > Privacy > Cache

Did you delete the Cookies via your browser, or with the "My Cookies" link at the bottom of the page? You're better off with the link, as it'll only delete the BB cookies and not ALL your cookies...

You may have to log out and back in, too...

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 05:45 PM

In Internet Explorer 6 or 7, the "basic" formula is to go to Tools > Internet Options > Delete Cookies/Cache/Temporary Internet Files/etc.

In Firefox, it's Tools > Clear Private Data.

It may be more specific than that, so if you need help, let me know.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Double-J
In Internet Explorer 6 or 7, the "basic" formula is to go to Tools > Internet Options > Delete Cookies/Cache/Temporary Internet Files/etc.

It is more specific than deleting EVERYTHING. I already answered her question specifically...

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Originally Posted By: Double-J

It is more specific than deleting EVERYTHING. I already answered her question specifically...

Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 09:19 PM

Stupid, Stupid Flashy Thing won't shut off. Before, it wouldn't turn on, now it won't shut off!! I have no PMs, but The Stupid Flashy Thing won't stop!! I tried the delete Internet things and that didn't do a darn thing. I logged out and logged back in, and that didn't do it either. Flashy thing is making me crazy!!!!!!!!!!

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 09:26 PM

You to SB? I deleted the cookies through Geoff's link logged out logged back in restarted my computer but it won't go away. Thanks Geoff it's giving me a headache.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 09:35 PM

You clicked on "My Cookies" at the bottom of the page, and then clicked on "Expire Cookies", logged back in, and it's still blinking??

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 09:37 PM

Yes, Clifton, I did.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Yes, Clifton, I did.

Okay, well, I'm gonna become you and check things out... it didn't hurt Ice too much. I'll see if I notice anything

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/03/06 09:42 PM

I did it all again, just to be sure. I went into Tools, deleted cookies and files, then went to the bottom of the page and did the cookies thing, which automatically logs you out. Then I logged back in and the flashy thing is flashing!!

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/04/06 12:23 PM

Just a thought...maybe with the forum time being incorrect, since the PM's were "technically" sent before the actual time, it's reading them as new since they weren't opened after their creation.

Kind of like how yesterday, posts that had newer replies were lower than posts with older replies because of the problems with the time.

Until that situation with the clock gets sorted, I suspect this may be the problem if clearing cookies and TIFs doesn't work.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/08/06 07:48 PM

One thing I've noticed about PM's which disappoints me:

On the new boards, when posting in a regular forum, images can now be inserted either through entering a URL or directly from our hard drive.

In a PM, though, the only option for images seems to be the URL method - and that means you still have to use a photo-hosting service (which I do not).

Any chance that we will eventually be able to PM images from our hard drive?

Signor V.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/08/06 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
One thing I've noticed about PM's which disappoints me:

On the new boards, when posting in a regular forum, images can now be inserted either through entering a URL or directly from our hard drive.

In a PM, though, the only option for images seems to be the URL method - and that means you still have to use a photo-hosting service (which I do not).

Any chance that we will eventually be able to PM images from our hard drive?

Signor V.

I noticed that, too, and will ask if it's a possibility in the future... thanks for reminding me!
Posted By: EDERUKEY111

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/15/06 04:32 PM

MAN I WANT US TO BE CLOSE,I AM FROM NIGERIA,I WANT US TO BE FRIENDS.BELOW IS MY MAIL ID ederukey@yahoo.com,YOU LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT MY FRIENDSHIP.JOHNPAUL
Posted By: EDERUKEY111

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/15/06 04:36 PM

i want us to be pal,i am from nigeria,below is my mail id,ederukey@yahoo.com.JOHNPAUL

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/15/06 09:41 PM

Whoa. Let me get to know you first. I don't do it on the first date.

Is this one of those Nigerian email scams where I'm going to win something if I send my PIN number, or I get to help some nonexistent starving African child by draining my bank account?

And if you do sincerely want to be my friend, my apologies.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/16/06 01:57 PM

JG,
I noticed that when you reply to a PM, you have to scroll back up to the top of the page to go back to the Forum List (or anywhere else for that matter). Any way a button can be added to the bottom of the page? Just a suggestion.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/16/06 05:18 PM

JG,
I noticed that when you reply to a PM, you have to scroll back up to the top of the page to go back to the Forum List (or anywhere else for that matter). Any way a button can be added to the bottom of the page? Just a suggestion.

After 1000 PMs the past few weeks, you just noticed?

Some solutions: There's a "Top" link at the bottom-left of every post/pm, and there's also one in the bottom-right of every page. In addition, you could press the "Home" button on your keyboard. All these will bring you back to the top w/o scrolling...
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/16/06 07:51 PM

1000? she's had more than a thousand with just me haha

I'm a pm whore
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/16/06 07:52 PM

So you're a whore only in the evenings? How about during the day?

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/16/06 08:12 PM

Whores get paid for it... you're just a slut.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 11/16/06 08:43 PM

Thank God you were replying to DM. I thought that was your reply to my suggestion. And thank you. I never noticed the Top thingy.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 12/16/06 04:00 AM

Is there a problem lately with PMs Geoff? I know DC didn't receive a couple I sent, and I didn't receive some of his.

The old board had the feature showing if a pm was "read" or not. There's no way to tell on the new board is there?

Thanks

TIS

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 12/16/06 05:27 AM

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, at the bottom left hand corner of each PM you send, it will say Unread by: Signor Vitelli (if you PM me and I haven't read it yet). This will change to Unread by: none once it's been read.

Signor V.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 12/16/06 02:46 PM

Ah, I see it now. Kind of a goofy way to put it no??? Why not "read" or "unread".

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 12/16/06 03:01 PM

Not really, TIS. You can PM more than one person at a time now (i.e. you can have a PM discussion with say, ten people in one "thread").

This way, the "read/unread" feature makes sense.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 12/16/06 06:07 PM

Ah! I see. Once again I'm a couple bricks shy of a full load (I love that expression :p). Yea, now it does make sense. Goes to show you just how thoroughly I read the help section.

And not too long ago I wanted to PM several different people with the same message and did it all individually.

TIS

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/12/07 03:17 AM

My flashy thing isn't working. I had 2 PMs, but no flashy thingy. Not sure if I should've posted this in Bug reports, or here, but just wanted to let you know.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/12/07 03:39 AM

Don't you just hate it when your "flashy thing" doesn't work?

TIS

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/12/07 05:52 AM

It's very upsetting to be without a flashy thingy. When I sign on, and the flashy thingy is flashing, it just makes my whole day!

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/12/07 06:39 AM

Thank God for our flashy thingy's

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/12/07 06:51 PM

It's very upsetting to be without a flashy thingy. When I sign on, and the flashy thingy is flashing, it just makes my whole day!

my ears are burning lol

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/12/07 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

my ears are burning lol

Better your ears than other parts of your body. And btw, my flashy thingy is all fixed now. Must've just been a quirk.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/12/07 11:35 PM

Who's flashing their thingy around here??

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/13/07 12:28 AM

Who's flashing their thingy around here??

Sorry Don Geoff, won't happen again

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/13/07 07:13 AM

My thingy is flashing.

My God -- MALE MENOPAUSE!!!!!!!

Just what I need....

Signor V.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/13/07 02:48 PM

Ok, so I can't figure out how to post image, but speaking of flashing.... Isn't this little guy cute?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/At2009/Taketimetodance.gif

TIS

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/13/07 04:07 PM

Remind you of anyone in particular?

There must be a way to post that in a message.

Signor V.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/13/07 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

There must be a way to post that in a message.

Of course.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/13/07 05:05 PM

Thanks SC!!

Actually that was the secret "papparazzi" snapping photos of Geoff celebrating his recent birthday. You know what a "wild & crazy" guy Geoff is.

TIS

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/14/07 01:51 AM

OK, flashy thingy is not working again. Do I need to Expire my Cookies again??

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/14/07 01:54 AM

OK, flashy thingy is not working again. Do I need to Expire my Cookies again??

If it's there, but you just can't see it (it's a wider space), then refreshing the browser (CTRL-F5) should help. Otherwise, if you wanna bite your cookies, feel free. Can't hurt anything.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/14/07 02:23 AM

I know that you're the Don, but did you have to mock my cookies??

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/14/07 02:46 PM

Poor SB! It's bad enough that your "flashy thingy" is on the blink, but to have to expire your cookies as well?

TIS

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/14/07 05:33 PM

I don't like expired,moldy cookies

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/18/07 02:28 PM

Ok, who's messing with my PM "flashy thingy?" Now, I can't get it to stop flashing!!!! It's driving me nuts.

TIS

NEVERMIND....I figured it out. I had a PM I hadn't read yet. Thank goodness it wasn't my flashy thingy.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/18/07 10:25 PM

My flashy thingy has a mind of its own, and I, for one, am sick of it.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/19/07 06:06 PM

My flashy thingy has a mind of its own, and I, for one, am sick of it.

By the end of the month probably the board will be updated to a new version - many bugs will be fixed, and some new features added. Hopefully that issue will be cleared up for you, altho it could be a browser caching issue. Let's hope for the best!

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/19/07 06:33 PM

Will we have a chatroom or live chat?

TIS

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/19/07 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Will we have a chatroom or live chat?

Still working on that. Since this new software is fairly new, integrating a chatroom is more difficult than with forum software that's more established. But soon I hope!

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/19/07 07:15 PM

Why have the chatroom when you already have the shout box?

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 01/19/07 09:41 PM

Why have the chatroom when you already have the shout box?

No offense to Geoff ar anyone else, but I never cared for the shout box that much. It's kind of a pain. A chatroom or live chat seems to be quicker and runs smoother. Know what I mean?

TIS
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 02/02/13 03:51 AM

A couple of other posters have told me that they can't send me a PM. I've never had any problems sending or receiving PM's in the past and I did nothing to change anything on my account/profile. Can anyone tell me what's up?
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 02/02/13 04:40 AM

i just tried to send ivy one as a test and this is what i got...

This user is not accepting private messages.

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 02/02/13 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
A couple of other posters have told me that they can't send me a PM. I've never had any problems sending or receiving PM's in the past and I did nothing to change anything on my account/profile. Can anyone tell me what's up?

Check your account settings. Under MY STUFF and then EDIT PREFERENCES. There's a button there to "accept private messages".

Lemme know if this doesn't fix the problem.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 02/02/13 05:22 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Check your account settings. Under MY STUFF and then EDIT PREFERENCES. There's a button there to "accept private messages".

Lemme know if this doesn't fix the problem.

Thanks, I think that will do it. For some reason it was set to not accept messages.
Posted By: jace

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 04/07/13 06:08 AM

I have had a problem getting messages. I have always had it checked that I would accept private messages.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 04/07/13 06:09 AM

Originally Posted By: jace
I have had a problem getting messages. I have always had it checked that I would accept private messages.

What's up Jace

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 04/07/13 06:42 AM

This is a HELP forum, not a conversation forum...

jace, any more details?

Cuz for now, it looks like you're good to go....

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 04/07/13 06:47 AM

This is a HELP forum, not a conversation forum...

jace, any more details?

Cuz for now, it looks like you're good to go....

Thank you Geoff, I don't have any more details, can you send a test pm?

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 04/07/13 06:58 AM

Sent. Let me know...

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 04/07/13 07:17 AM

Sent. Let me know...

Problem solved!
Posted By: olivant

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 03/29/14 07:28 PM

Didn't know where to post this:

Over in the Sports Forum there is the Bonds Hit topic. The last post is by Barry. I read it at least an hour ago (1:30PM CST). However its time says Today 4:23PM (even right now it's only 2:27PM CST). How come?

Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 03/29/14 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

Over in the Sports Forum there is the Bonds Hit topic. The last post is by Barry. I read it at least an hour ago (1:30PM CST). However its time says Today 4:23PM (even right now it's only 2:27PM CST). How come?

Good question. It evidently has something to do with the server's maintenance done last night. Geoff will have to contact them.

Good catch, oli.
Posted By: Anonymous

(NA) Re: FAQ: Private Messages / PMs / PTs - 03/09/21 04:07 PM

The transcript of the GF has Vito telling Tom: "I want all inquiries made" instead of "I want no inquiries made."
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET