Home

Il Patino

Posted By: juventus

Il Patino - 10/01/05 05:19 PM

In the novel a nickname of Vito Corleone is Il Patino...
What is that? I know that Il Padrino means the Godfather but i've never heard of il Patino...
Since my Italian (and sicilian) isn't very good I asked my father (who is a Sicilian)...He never heard of the word Patino..Neither does my uncle (who is also Sicilian)....

So, does anybody knows what it is? Maybe a western-sicilian dialect or something (because my family is from eastern-sicily)....
Posted By: Don Pappo Napolitano

Re: Il Patino - 10/01/05 05:21 PM

Maybe it`s a joke name...it sounds funny
Posted By: mr. soprano

Re: Il Patino - 10/02/05 07:17 AM

or it could have been a typo

Re: Il Patino - 10/02/05 03:31 PM

He was called Il Patino many times, not just one time...
Posted By: JustMe

Re: Il Patino - 10/02/05 07:01 PM

In which language were you reading the book, juventus?
I've read it in English, and there's no mention of this word.

Re: Il Patino - 10/02/05 07:20 PM

Originally posted by JustMe:
In which language were you reading the book, juventus?
In Dutch...
It's really strange that it isn't mentioned in the English version..

The first time it's mentioned in my dutch version is at the end of the paragraph were don Vito is hearing the request of Nazorine (Enzo the baker).
On the end of the paragrpah my dutch version said this (I translated it to english):
There was just one man who can take care of this. Il Patino. Don Corleone.

What word do they use on that place in the original (english) version?
Posted By: Dawood Ibrahim

Re: Il Patino - 10/03/05 05:43 AM

Originally posted by juventus:
[b] In which language were you reading the book, juventus?
In Dutch...
It's really strange that it isn't mentioned in the English version..

The first time it's mentioned in my dutch version is at the end of the paragraph were don Vito is hearing the request of Nazorine (Enzo the baker).
On the end of the paragrpah my dutch version said this (I translated it to english):
There was just one man who can take care of this. Il Patino. Don Corleone.

What word do they use on that place in the original (english) version? [/b]
They use GodFather.

And there was only one man who could arrange such an affair. The Godfather. Don Corleone.

Re: Il Patino - 10/03/05 02:12 PM

it happens the same with the Godfather in spanish, for Tom Hagen is written "Consigliori" instead of "Consigliere". Maybe it is a mistake of the editor and not the type because it appears all the time, maybe it happens the same with il patino...
Posted By: JustMe

Re: Il Patino - 10/03/05 05:39 PM

I think it's a mistaken "Il Padrino". As far as I know, that's Godfather in Italian.

Re: Il Patino - 10/04/05 03:35 PM

I think it's a mistaken "Il Padrino". As far as I know, that's Godfather in Italian.
Yes thats true

Re: Il Patino - 10/06/05 03:25 PM

I guess...
Posted By: julioclaudio

Re: Il Patino - 10/07/05 06:37 PM

I donĀ“t understand it, but in this link exists a reference wink

http://www3.isrl.uiuc.edu/~unsworth/courses/bestsellers/search.cgi?title=The+God father
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: Il Patino - 10/11/05 12:47 PM

I think it's the Sicilian for "Padrino". In Sicily they pronounce the "d" and "t" consonants in a very peculiar way, and due to that pronunciation in the "dr" consonant group the "r" almost turn silent. I wonder if this make any sense to you? confused rolleyes
Posted By: Don Larzono

Re: Il Patino - 12/04/05 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
I think it's the Sicilian for "Padrino". In Sicily they pronounce the "d" and "t" consonants in a very peculiar way, and due to that pronunciation in the "dr" consonant group the "r" almost turn silent. I wonder if this make any sense to you? confused rolleyes
Could be yes. The sicilian D followed by an R could very well sound like a T. But you can still hear the R, even though it's a strange sicilian R.
And if it's sicilian it would be "U Padrinu", and that's pretty far from Il Patino. O sbaglio Lavinia?
Posted By: segnorina

Re: Il Patino - 01/16/06 10:04 PM

That's all nice,but I also have una domanda tongue What is 'padrone'?I know for 'padrino'...
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Il Patino - 01/17/06 01:42 AM

None of the Italian/English dictionaries online list "patino" or "il patino." I found a literary reference here:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/litali.7ici/Portsec/Itaprov/ens/ens04.htm
You probably are familiar with this Dutch forum:
http://forums.marokko.nl/showthread.php?t=188265
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Il Patino - 01/17/06 03:17 AM

Haha lol

I knew we could count on TB

Re: Il Patino - 01/18/06 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Don Larzono:
And if it's sicilian it would be "U Padrinu", and that's pretty far from Il Patino.
sorry for the delay, DL, I saw this post just now! smile
Well, "Patino" is definitely not an Italian word, but it could be an Italianized Sicilian, though. You know what I mean? smile For instance, if I want to Italianize an English word I could say "il godfader", which is the way a less skilled Italian than I ( grin ) would pronounce the word "godfather"!

Re: Il Patino - 01/18/06 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
I found a literary reference here: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/litali.7ici/Portsec/Itaprov/ens/ens04.htm
that is a mistake. The correct word there is "pattino" (not "patino"), meaning a tiny boat.

Re: Il Patino - 01/18/06 02:24 PM

Originally posted by segnorina:
That's all nice,but I also have una domanda tongue What is 'padrone'?I know for 'padrino'...
"padrone" means master, owner.
Posted By: Dominic Corleone

Re: Il Patino - 02/28/06 12:25 AM

it happens the same with the Godfather in spanish, for Tom Hagen is written "Consigliori" instead of "Consigliere". Maybe it is a mistake of the editor and not the type because it appears all the time, maybe it happens the same with il patino...

in mine it's "Consigliori", and i live in Connecticut - bought at
borders.
Posted By: anthony lee

Re: Il Patino - 04/17/06 05:09 PM

my godfather novel also says consigliori and i live in england
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET