Home

How many times read?

Posted By: J Geoff

How many times read? - 07/22/03 05:43 AM

I'm wondering - How many times have we all read The Godfather, by Mario Puzo? Embarrassingly, I've only read it once, so far, but it's on my re-read list! (Actually, I'm not a huge reader (where's the time?), and have never read the same book more than once; but, this'd be one of them!)
Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Re: How many times read? - 07/22/03 08:14 AM

Same here Don JG, Once. . .

GoodFella
Posted By: lil_mafioso

Re: How many times read? - 07/22/03 02:41 PM

Well I've actually read the whole thing like four times but I red my favorite parts over and over again. smile
Posted By: plawrence

Re: How many times read? - 07/23/03 02:11 AM

I've read it cover to cover maybe three times, but I refer to it frequently for quotes and other info for my posts in the Trilogy & Novel forums.

Books that I really love I've read maybe 6-7 times each.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: How many times read? - 07/23/03 03:10 AM

I have just began my second reading of it. I read it when it was first out, and just ordered another copy and started reading it this past weekend. blush I am not very far into it, but it's been so many years since I first read it, that it's like reading it the first time.

Like P.L., I'm hoping to refer to it to spark some new opinions/threads about GF that we haven't covered. (Is that even possible?? lol )

TIS
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: How many times read? - 07/23/03 04:39 AM

I probably read the novel more than 250 times.

Re: How many times read? - 07/23/03 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
OMG!!! 250 times??? eek Ok, recite page 132 for me!!! No peeking now! lol

TIS
Posted By: plawrence

Re: How many times read? - 07/23/03 11:16 AM

Is that cover to cover? If so, that's about 7.5 times per year, or about once every 7 weeks. For the last 34 years. eek

I imagine, though, that it looks good on your "Professional Godfather Poster" resume.
wink tongue
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: How many times read? - 07/23/03 03:44 PM

250 times?? eek I better get crackin' then! (Hmm, maybe I'll plop in the cassettes whenever I'm driving wink )
Posted By: Mr. Baggins

Re: How many times read? - 07/23/03 06:59 PM

I've read The Godfather cover to cover twice.

I've read my favorite books maybe 7 or 8 times, and my all time favorite, The Lord of the Rings, I've read about 30 times.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: How many times read? - 07/23/03 08:47 PM

Welcome Mr. Baggins! LOTR is currently tops my wanted list with regard to books. grin

JG, I have never read a book twice either (too time-consuming; I like to read and move on), and The Godfather is no exception. I did start reading Catcher in the Rye for the second time recently, but then started reading A Clockwork Orange (which so far I do not like).

TB, 250 times? While that is asininely shocking, I am not surprised at all by your answer. GOod going. I'd say keep up the good work, but is there any need? wink

Mick

Re: How many times read? - 07/24/03 12:36 AM

Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
TB, 250 times? While that is asininely shocking, I am not surprised at all by your answer. GOod going. I'd say keep up the good work, but is there any need? wink

Mick
Though it seems compulsive (maybe it was compulsive), I loved the book so much that I read it through at least two or three times a month from the time it was published in 1969, through about 1975, then probably once a month after that. Crazy, I know, but then again, I'm a certifiable GF nut. eek
TIS: I used to keep a copy of the book (and the videos) in my office. I worked for a big company, and there were plenty of GF nuts under our roof. Trivia contests were constant. Sometimes I'd challenge someone to open a page of the book at random and read a paragraph. Then I'd respond with a quote or sentence, near-verbatim, from that page. I'm not sure I can still do it, but I did it then. My fantasy: I die and meet St. Peter at the Golden Gate. He says, "What did you do with your life?" I reply, "I memorized "The Godfather." His eyelids droop, his thumb turns down, and next thing you know, I'm falling into a place that's very hot...

Re: How many times read? - 07/24/03 02:50 AM

My fantasy: I die and meet St. Peter at the Golden Gate. He says, "What did you do with your life?" I reply, "I memorized "The Godfather." His eyelids droop, his thumb turns down, and next thing you know, I'm falling into a place that's very hot... [/QB]
You gotta look on the bright side TB. If St. Peter sends you to a very hot place, it may be
Vegas??? That's not so bad!! lol Then of course there's those cocktail waitresses! lol One man's hell, is another man's heaven!! lol

TIS

Re: How many times read? - 07/24/03 04:42 AM

Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Then of course there's those cocktail waitresses! lol

TIS
At my age, "two at a time" is strictly something for Fredo, not me. rolleyes
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: How many times read? - 07/29/03 03:04 PM

The first time read was 1970, second time 2003. It the only book I've read twice. Very refreshing to read it the second time, after seeing the films a hundred times.

Turnbull, I'm sure you would be in the Guiness Book of Records or maybe when you die you can donate your brain to science. I'm sure they would see little things in the cerebellum that would look like puppet strings. 250 times yeow! What does your shrink say about that? wink
Posted By: Don_Rozzini

Re: How many times read? - 07/29/03 06:21 PM

I have only read it once also. But it was only becuase it was a borrowed book. I am going to buy it once I get the money and This will possibly be the only book I read for a while.
Posted By: Enzo da baker

Re: How many times read? - 08/06/03 12:10 AM

one time only read but not for long
Posted By: Double-J

Re: How many times read? - 08/06/03 01:01 AM

I read it in three days. Only once. When I have some free time I will re-read.
Posted By: Disaffected

Re: How many times read? - 08/06/03 03:20 AM

Only once thus far, because as of late I have turned into a hardcore book nerd. And once I finish a book I go out and buy/read a new one. But I will get around to a second read in the near future.
Posted By: Vito's Legacy

Re: How many times read? - 08/06/03 06:36 PM

Well I enjoyed it so much, I just had to read it again... and again! grin (So I'm on my third reading!) But Turnbull... WOWZA! 250 times?! I don't think I've even watched the first Star Wars movie that much! eek
Posted By: Vito's Legacy

Re: How many times read? - 08/06/03 07:10 PM

... and Geoff, I sympathise with you in the respect of not being able to read stuff. Over five weeks ago I bought Thomas Harris' Hannibal Lecter trilogy, and right now I'm barely one hundred pages into Red Dragon! frown Indeed, where the hell is is the time? confused
Posted By: Alberto_Neri

Re: How many times read? - 08/06/03 11:17 PM

3 times here...

Anyone else who has trouble with determinating wheater Turnbull can be labeled a 'geek'? wink
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: How many times read? - 08/07/03 10:05 PM

Yeah, I agree: Turnbull really is a Godfather Geek, but we all love him for it anyway! smile

In all honesty, non-fiction books are more re-readable than fiction, as you have more to digest and learn, and they aren't as heavy-going.

Mick
Posted By: Don V

Re: How many times read? - 08/13/03 08:15 PM

I neva read it. Just saw the movies. But how much pages does the book have??
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: How many times read? - 08/13/03 08:24 PM

Ive read it 6 Times!

6! I THINK IT THE BEST NOVEL EVER, only to The Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men

Re: How many times read? - 08/14/03 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Omerta_Kosmos:
Hmmmmmm.... first read it in '93... reread it about once per year...just finished today...13 times!

But after the first time, I always skipped the Lucy parts, and most of the Johnny/Nino stuff...

So I guess technicaly, only once grin
O_K, your skipping of the Lucy parts and most of the Johnny/Nino stuff marks you as a true man of discernment. They are the Achilles' heel of the novel.
Posted By: goombah

Re: How many times read? - 08/14/03 12:31 PM

Once all the way through and other times for background/clarity or re-reading favorite parts.
Posted By: skaggerratt

Re: How many times read? - 08/14/03 10:37 PM

i have only read it once, but i do plan on reading it again most likely when i get THe Godfather in hardcover
Posted By: s_macaluso

Re: How many times read? - 08/24/03 05:47 AM

250 times? I love to read, but I've never come close to reading a book that many times. I'm just finishing up GF for the first time, and it's fast becoming one of my favorites. Oh, and Vito, Red Dragon is a great book when you get to reading it. Couldn't get through Hannibal, though.
Posted By: wilheim

Re: How many times read? - 08/24/03 06:52 PM

I thought I was bad with an estimated 20 reads over a 30 or so year period. Turnbull is by far the King.

wil. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Patrick

Re: How many times read? - 08/26/03 02:11 AM

i was just wondering if any of you ever read:
Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member
it's not a mob book, but more of a gang book. i got this out of my school library last year. this is not something that i thought i'd find there. lots of swearing, drugs, and violence. i only read when i have to. i read this because we needed to read a book of our choice and write prompts on it. i could not put this book down! it was great and it's based on a true story!
Posted By: AngelaMarie

Re: How many times read? - 08/26/03 04:33 AM

I hate to admit it - but I started to read it once, didn't like it, and never finished it.

Sorry, I just didn't like it. Now that I'm 10 years older, it's no better, in fact I can't read any fiction at all. I used to love to read. Now it's all I can do to read what I have to - eg the newspaper, instructions, stuff at work, etc. I'm just not a reader.
Posted By: Pherdy

Re: How many times read? - 09/28/03 08:59 PM

once and that's A LOT for me
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: How many times read? - 10/13/03 03:21 PM

i've read it twice once before seing the movie and once after.the first time i read it in 18 hours the second time i took my time and read it in 30 hours. i'm not a big reader but i can read fast
Posted By: Raymondo Corleone

Re: How many times read? - 10/13/03 07:39 PM

I've read it 3 times, each time in a space of about 12 hours. It's by far the fastest reading I have ever done, I just can't put it down. I also occasionally refer to bits of it when watching the films etc. Which is well worth doing I think.
Posted By: Nice Guy Eddie

Re: How many times read? - 10/15/03 04:31 AM

How the hell can you read the whole damn book in 12 hours??? eek I have read it once, and I've been thinking about reading it again, maybe this winter. ohwell
Posted By: Raymondo Corleone

Re: How many times read? - 10/17/03 02:09 PM

I basically read it start to finish, only taking time out for a few cups of tea. I've never read any other book in anything like such a short space of time. It's just so compulsive for me.
Posted By: Don Aleksandr

Re: How many times read? - 10/18/03 02:11 AM

I've read it maybe 6 times, still not tired of it. grin
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: How many times read? - 10/18/03 02:31 AM

I've read it Three Times.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Simonetta

Re: How many times read? - 11/07/03 01:15 AM

I have read the novel two times. I love the way Mario describes the Sicilian countryside. Does anyone know if Part II was made available in paperback?
Posted By: ScarfaceRH

Re: How many times read? - 11/17/03 08:34 PM

I've read it once, but I plan on reading it again.
Posted By: DonTeflon

Re: How many times read? - 11/18/03 08:12 AM

I haven't read it yet but I have it and it's on the list.
Posted By: Don Santino

Re: How many times read? - 11/22/03 03:51 PM

I've never read it but i really want to. havent really had the time to go and look for it at bookstores etc.
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: How many times read? - 11/22/03 08:05 PM

I've read it maybe only three times.

Re: How many times read? - 11/23/03 08:02 AM

Just bought it today, so ive already got stuck into it smile
Posted By: Meggie

Re: How many times read? - 11/25/03 04:50 PM

I havent read the novel yet, tell me is it much different than the movie?

Re: How many times read? - 11/26/03 12:23 PM

Well from reading about half the novel so far, i'd have to say that there are many elements that are different from the film. the novel, so far, is great and id suggest that you go out and get it.
Posted By: bogey

Re: How many times read? - 11/28/03 01:40 AM

i've read it more times than i can count..

and for my junior english class next semester, the teacher gives a list of books you are allowed to do a book report on, and guess which book is on that list!! thats right.. the GF. im prepared.
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: How many times read? - 11/28/03 06:08 PM

Well,

I recentley had to do a book report. SOMEONE ROBBBBED THE GODFATHER FROM ME! At least the Divine Comedies where good.
Posted By: Benchgod

Re: How many times read? - 11/29/03 05:55 PM

I've been reading steadily since I first got my hands on a copy back in '71. Read it 10 times b4 the movie came out, then read it 15 times after that. So, I've read THE BOOK (and I don't mean the old testament either. This is my bible) 25 times.

However, I did not see the question anywhere on this site as to how many times anyone of us has seen the movie. I know this is the book page but just in case....as of last week... I have seen the GF1 exactly 1,005 times since it first came out.... It's an illness, I'm on medication. Jerry Lewis promised me a telethon.

Sollozo wants to talk. Egatz, imagine the nerve of that sonofabitch....Whad he say....bada beep, bada bop, bada boop, bada beep....

Re: How many times read? - 12/05/03 02:24 AM

Benchgod- So can you quote any scene I name? tongue
Posted By: Don Pope

Re: How many times read? - 12/06/03 06:56 AM

sadly i havent read the novel yet at all
Posted By: Benchgod

Re: How many times read? - 12/12/03 07:11 PM

Hey, Don Sonny...........g'head...try me.

"I advised Michael on these matters. I never thought you a bad consigilieri. I thought Santino a bad Don, rest in peace."

"Ah, come on Carlo. Did you think that farce you played with my little sister would fool a Corleone?"

And, of course, who could forget the line that changed the course of Corleone history?....
"I'm with you now Pop. I'm with you now."

I could go on forever...but....typing hurts my fingers....actually....OUCH!

Re: How many times read? - 12/12/03 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Benchgod:
Hey, Don Sonny...........g'head...try me.
Hey we could make a game out of this-Try to stump Benchgod. Thats what my friends do with me....
Ok what about the scene where Mama says-You'll have to speak louder, the baby's crying. smile
Posted By: Don Pope

Re: How many times read? - 12/14/03 04:29 AM

when connie calls, after carlo beats her
Posted By: Valadius

Re: How many times read? - 12/25/03 04:03 AM

I'm actually now in the middle of reading it for the first time as I write this. Reason being: I just got it as a present.
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: How many times read? - 12/25/03 06:25 PM

Well, reading the book is a must for a fan. Without the book you don't know all the details. And then you also have to read it more times. I've read it 2 times, but when somebody asks me a question and I know the book provides the answer I can't remember. So maybe, to fully (as good as you can) understand GF you may have to read it many many times. Wondering how many times Turnbull read it. He knows almost everything about GF. Oh, I just read 250 times. Well guys, if you want to be as good as him/her (I don't actually know what he is, guess him) you first have to beat him at this point, then you might have a chance.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET