Home

Which comes first?

Posted By: Researcher

Which comes first? - 06/18/03 04:16 PM

There are many opinions on this, so time to square society's view: What do you guys think is best for maximum appreciation of The Godfather: Watching the film first, then reading the book, or reading the book first, then watching the film? Vote now!
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Which comes first? - 06/18/03 06:12 PM

I think it's always better to read the book first. That's true in any case, not just as it applies to THE GODFATHER.

Part of my enjoyment in watching a film based on a book I have read is to see what the screenwriter, actors, and director do with the original material and how they interpret it.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Which comes first? - 06/18/03 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Researcher:
...What do you guys think is best for maximum appreciation of The Godfather...
I don't necessarily think 'either' choice is the BEST one for maximum appreciation.

Of course there are many details in the book that give deeper background to what happens on the screen. However, I adored The Godfather for many years, and became a member of this board without even having touched the book...and I still haven't.

So I still feel that while the novel helps and hats off to those who constantly refer to it...reading the book to me is not a factor in appreciating the film.

However, if one DOES read the book first, I cannot imagine them not wanting to then run out & see the movie!!!

Apple
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Which comes first? - 06/18/03 06:42 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
I adored The Godfather for many years, and became a member of this board without even having touched the book...and I still haven't.
You've said that here before, and it never ceases to amaze me! confused How come?
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Which comes first? - 06/18/03 08:04 PM

I watched the film first and then the novel, but I really wish it had been done the other way round. Reading the book first is always better for me, in ANY case.

Mick
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Which comes first? - 06/18/03 08:23 PM

Originally posted by plawrence:
[QUOTE] ... How come?
Not interested enough, I guess. I still enjoy the film without it.
Anyway, from what's been discussed of it here on the Boards, I probably know more than I ever needed to (about Johnny, Luca, Lucy, Dr. Whats-his-name, Woltz, Khartoum's balls, etc...), and more than was needed when making the movie!!

Maybe someday.

Apple
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Which comes first? - 06/19/03 09:06 AM

Although I didn't read the novel until last year, I put that it would be best to read the novel before seeing the film!
After I read the novel it cleared up a lot of 'loose ends' from the film. smile

FH
Posted By: joltinjoe05

Re: Which comes first? - 06/20/03 04:04 AM

I saw the movie and then read the book, and I liked how that played out.
Posted By: Luca's boy

Re: Which comes first? - 06/20/03 05:53 PM

I liked watching than reading but normally, I like to read the book first.

Go Twins grin
Posted By: keyser soze

Re: Which comes first? - 09/09/03 03:57 PM

i hate the idea of reading a book AFTER seeing the movie....i like reading the book first because its like you are step ahead of everyone else....after i read the book, i watched the movie for the first time with my parents...they loved the movie and saw it about a million times, and I WAS EXPLAINING THINGS TO THEM.....like luca brasi's reality, al neri's past, how michael returned from italy, lucy mancini, fabrizzio's death, genco and others
Posted By: Mrs Apollonia Andolini

Re: Which comes first? - 09/09/03 05:49 PM

That's a hard one. The books are always better then the movies (time restraints for the main reason) If you read the book first yes you know some of the details unsaid in the movie, but on the other hand you may be disappointed in the movie since it doens't go into such detail.
I say see the movie first and then read the book.
Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Re: Which comes first? - 09/09/03 06:53 PM

i first saw the movie before reading the book. and its better that way, IMO. you will be amazed while reading the book because of the details of every character. and putting the dots together why did he became this? what was he before? where did he came from. . .

GoodFella
Posted By: wilheim

Re: Which comes first? - 09/10/03 12:00 AM

IMO no contest The book. I will say of all the books that ended up movies that I have read, GF comes the closest to being equal. You can just put more into the written word. When you read the novel you have to let your imagination take you to that time and place, MP was a master imo with his portrayal of the world The Corleone Family lived in.

wil.
Posted By: Don V

Re: Which comes first? - 09/10/03 07:56 PM

The movie first, than the book. The movie gives a great insight and the book stretches this out more, before watching the movie again.
Posted By: wilheim

Re: Which comes first? - 09/11/03 01:23 AM

When I read a fictional book, I always create an image in my mind's eye of each character and the different locations the story takes place. When comparing many of the imagined characters to the actors FFC actually cast in the movie, I was shocked how close he came to my imagined characters. Much of this of course comes from the descriptions written by MP. in the novel. FFC tried to physically match MP's characters whenever possible. One that was way off imo was Lucy Mancini.

wil.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Which comes first? - 09/24/03 04:23 PM

I picked the film because the book tends to drag in some places: Lucy, Johnny and his surgery, etc. Don't get me wrong, the book is good, but I think the film captures the majority of the book's best portions.
Posted By: Santino Corleone

Re: Which comes first? - 09/26/03 01:50 AM

I always like to read books before I watch their movie counterparts.
Posted By: Special Kay

Re: Which comes first? - 09/26/03 07:30 PM

I saw the movie prior to reading the book. Normally, I'd prefer to read the book first, but in this case I think I was much more satisfied having watched the movie before reading the book.

I didn't expect all the sub-stories and backgrounds that were presented in the novel. If I had read the novel first, I probably would have expected to see a lot of stories acted out, that ended up not making it into the film (Bocciccios, Paulie/Boxers).
Posted By: Pherdy

Re: Which comes first? - 09/28/03 08:53 PM

I agreed with Plawrence on this one and voted for the book, BUT I hate to read, don't ever read at all, and the only reason I did buy, read and actually enjoyed The Godfather-novel, was because I knew the story very well from seeing the movie. The book gave me a lot of background information and quite a few subplots I never knew existed.

so if it wasn't for the film, I wouldn't have read...
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET