Home

I have a question

Posted By: XJimmy the GentX

I have a question - 06/06/03 03:57 PM

I've noticed in reading Mario Puzo's books that he uses the term "Moustache Pete" to describe older mafiosos. What exactly does that mean or indicate? Just curious..
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: I have a question - 06/06/03 05:47 PM

"Moustache Pete" was a generic term to describe any old-fashioned, out-of-date Mafioso who clung to ancient traditions and, in effect, tried to replicate rural Sicilian Mafia practices in 20th Century America. The term derives from the vintage handlebar moustaches worn by these guys. However, the last of the "Moustache Petes"--Joe Masseria and Salvatore Maranzano, who were assassinated during and after the Castellemmarese War of 1930-31--were clean-shaven.
Posted By: XJimmy the GentX

Re: I have a question - 06/06/03 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
"Moustache Pete" was a generic term to describe any old-fashioned, out-of-date Mafioso who clung to ancient traditions and, in effect, tried to replicate rural Sicilian Mafia practices in 20th Century America. The term derives from the vintage handlebar moustaches worn by these guys. However, the last of the "Moustache Petes"--Joe Masseria and Salvatore Maranzano, who were assassinated during and after the Castellemmarese War of 1930-31--were clean-shaven.
Interesting. Thanks man!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET