Home

The ultimate Godfather novel poll.

Posted By: Anton The Penguin

The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/05/03 10:40 PM

I think it was bloody terrible, how about you?
Posted By: Anton The Penguin

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/05/03 10:42 PM

I went option 2 in the 1st question and option 1 in the second.

-Penguin
Posted By: DonColletti

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/05/03 11:37 PM

second to last choice and last choice

I loved the movie, so how could I not love the book? I have read other Mario Puzo's and I believe they are quite good.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/06/03 11:13 PM

Puzo is in no way a bad writer (no famous author is, but everything is relative--ie. he could be "bad" compared to someone else) but he isn't a classic author. Well, he could be classic in that he wrote the novel on which the best film ever was based!

The book was badly written IMO. But the fact is that it is a good novel in terms of plot and such, but in terms of literature, TGF was appalling IMHO!

mick
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/07/03 07:28 PM

Bloody terrible and appaling. Why did you guys read it then?
Posted By: pacino princess

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/07/03 11:19 PM

um-no offense, but what was the point of this? How can you say the book was "terrible" but THEN say it wasn't because it was the basis for the film? Very Strange. The movie would have been impossible without the inspiration of the book.

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/10/03 01:21 PM

Originally posted by MaryCas:
Why did you guys read it then?
Because I don't have foresight in cases such as this! And when I said "appalling" I meant appallingly written--the actual story and, at the time, the originality of the plot etc and masterful. grin

The movie would have been impossible without the inspiration of the book.
I couldn't agree more, PP! grin

How can you say the book was "terrible" but THEN say it wasn't because it was the basis for the film? Very Strange.
Firstly, since I am the only poster so far in this thread who actually commented on TGF novel being the basis for the film, I assume you are referring to me with your "Very Strange" comment--so he goes my explanation!:

I never said the book was terrible--Anton said that, but let's not direct the "attention" (for want of a better word) onto somebody else. The closest I ever got to saying it was terrible was saying it was "badly written" (note the italicised word for emphasis--there is a difference between a bad book and a badly written book! smile )

So, I said it was badly written because I think it is (my personal opinion). In no way do I think the novel is "terrible," as I for one like many others could not put it down after reading the first page, and finished it within a week! I love the book and would read it again, but it is in no way a fine piece of literature. But if I wanted to read and discuss fine literature, I would've posted a thread on Shakespeare, right!? wink

mick
Posted By: Michael Corleone 14

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/10/03 02:36 PM

I voted "A TOTAL MASTERPIECE OF WRITING!" to the first question, and "He's a BRILLIANT writer" to the second question. Without any doubt the best book I ever read! smile
Posted By: Micheal Corleone

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/21/03 10:24 PM

I thought that The Godfather was a great book, as long as it stayed on the main story, i.e. the Corleone Family. When it went in to the little side stories about Jules Segal, Lucy Mancini, and Nino, it became just an average piece of literature. I think that the reason I most liked the novel is because it provided so much extra information about the characters and events portrayed in the movie. On the other hand, I thought the dialogue in the book was not on par with the dialogue in the movie.

On the question of Mario Puzo, I said he was an average writer. I think that The Godfather was his only great book, and his other writings make him, IMO, just an average author.
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/22/03 04:13 AM

Classic Work of Art. Unbeatable in every sence. Quite possibly the best book ever written.
Posted By: RosarioAlaia

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/26/03 07:17 PM

Everything is subjective in these cases. I enjoyed the novel because of its' ability to expound further on the characters and situations. It is to be used as a companion to the film. Puzo himself said in the Godfather Papers that he did not want to write this book, but he was broke and the publishing company that was advancing him substantial amounts of cash wanted him to write a 'breakout' novel. The story is not truly fiction, it is based on the families and events of that era, and yes that does include Frank Sinatra.
Posted By: CamillusDon

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 04/30/03 01:53 AM

The novel was very good and was a real gripper for its tme...
Posted By: DonsAdvisor

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 05/29/03 09:53 PM

It is a great novel and great story. But not because of Puzo's mediocre writing abilities. From a literary perspective, Puzo is a midget compared with say a James Joyce. But then again Puzo was seeking to write, and hit upon, a work that would sell plenty of books. The result was a great feat: a classic that became part of the popular culture because of the story, not the writing.

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 05/29/03 11:41 PM

I think it has worked to his advantage, also. With it not being great literature, one does not have to put as much concentration in understanding it--the opposite to this would be someone like John Le Carré. It also increases the re-readability rating; it is so easy to pick up again and read and not put too much effort into concentrating. smile

Mick
Posted By: plawrence

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 05/30/03 01:00 AM

Originally posted by DonFerro55:
Quite possibly the best book ever written.
eek I hope you're not serious. confused
Posted By: joltinjoe05

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 05/30/03 04:10 AM

The Godfather was pretty good book. I read it pretty fast for my pace. I think most of that had to do with my love for the movie.

I'll say the book was quite good and that Puzo is a very good writer.
Posted By: Researcher

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 05/31/03 01:39 PM

I personally think it's not only an incredible storyline, but it was quite well written. The descriptions and metaphors are pretty good, and I think the book is just as good. Why does everyone hate it so much?
Posted By: Double-J

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 05/31/03 03:30 PM

The book is good. Not my favorite book, but a good read nonetheless, and accents well (duh! tongue ) off the movie, acting as a supplement. Puzo imho is not at the level of say Tom Clancy or Dean Koontz, but a good writer still.

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 05/31/03 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Researcher:
Why does everyone hate it so much?
I don't recall anybody saying they hated it. I think, compared to other literature I've read, it is not on a standard as other authors. Nobody hates it. smile

Mick
Posted By: CrazedHobo

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 06/18/03 06:53 PM

wow... I'm surpised howmany people thought the godfather book was bad... I loved it (although I have read better, but not on the mafia, and not by much).... neih... Mabye it was Sonny's penis that scared you all away eek lol (it did scare me too)

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 06/18/03 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Double-J:
Puzo imho is not at the level of say Tom Clancy
True grin

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 06/18/03 07:56 PM

Originally posted by CrazedHobo:
Originally posted by Double-J:
[b]Puzo imho is not at the level of say Tom Clancy
True grin [/b]
Crazed Hobo, welcome to the clan, m'man! grin Are you a Clancy/Jack Ryan fan too? Do a seacr h in general discussion about "Tom Clancy" and read my poll about the guy.

Mick

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 06/18/03 11:52 PM

That I am! grin So far I've read : (in this order cool ) Rainbow Six, The Sum of all Fears, Without Remorse, Executive Orders, and just finished Cardinal of the Kremlin smile IMHO Mr.Clancy is the best author there is grin and I'll do that search now cool

(and in case you havn't noticed I like using the smile ies grin )
Posted By: Pherdy

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 09/28/03 08:57 PM

The Only Book I Ever Liked!!

(the only book i ever read ssshhhtt!!)
Posted By: DannyMontana

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 10/02/03 02:04 AM

I'm still on it and its already great! After I am done I am gonna read Fight Club
Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 10/02/03 08:43 PM

I picked the Last Answers on the Poll.

HE WAS A GENIUS!!
Posted By: wilheim

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 10/02/03 11:50 PM

I have read close to 1000 books over 40 years and The Godfather along with Catch 22, a couple of Frederick Forsythe books, and the Winds of War, remain my favorites.

wil.
Posted By: Lakeville Road Boy

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 10/03/03 07:25 PM

Originally posted by CrazedHobo:
wow... I'm surpised howmany people thought the godfather book was bad... I loved it (although I have read better, but not on the mafia, and not by much).... neih... Mabye it was Sonny's penis that scared you all away eek lol (it did scare me too)
I thought that the book kind of rambled and didn't have a coherent theme. It's amazing that the novel spawned such great movies.

All of Puzo's books are also the same. He really didn't put a lot of pride in his writing after GF was published.
Posted By: DonTeflon

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 10/03/03 09:07 PM

I loved the movies. Haven't read the book yet, but it is in the mail on the way to my house right now. I hope it is as great as the movie. I will be back to vote as soon as I am done reading.
Posted By: Raymondo Corleone

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 10/11/03 01:16 AM

I don't care whether it is a "Good piece of literature" or whatever. I really enjoy reading it, and although technically one may say that it is flawed in it's writing, it's a damned good story with characters of real depth and development. I love reading it, and I think it's a masterpiece in it's own way.
Posted By: Santino Corleone

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 10/11/03 04:39 AM

I think it's a wonderful book, and Puzo a wonderful author. The Godfather remains my favorite book.
Posted By: Patrick

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 10/14/03 09:26 PM

if anything, i like the book more. it goes into the life of johnny fontane more which i think is great. -Pat
Posted By: TheCrazyMan

Re: The ultimate Godfather novel poll. - 10/30/03 12:55 AM

hey, i had to say that The Godfather stood the test of time to become a great novel, also with the help of the popularity of the first 2 films.

Mario Puzo was def. a genius in writing. Sure he might not have written out scenes like Tom Clancey would, but his writing provides a calming feel, but with the subtle tension building around you as the plot thickens, ie Michael and Sollozzo.

His other book The Last Don, in some ways it was like a remake of the Godfather for television. I've never read or seen The Last Don, but my father has read it,a nd he tells me that it is on par with the writings of The Godfather. I would also like to see The Last Don II.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET