Home

A Mario Puzo Question!

Posted By: Scarlett

A Mario Puzo Question! - 11/02/02 08:18 PM

Does anyone who posts here know much about Mario Puzo? What I was wondering was he born in Sicily and did he have inside knowledge of "The friends of the friends" or did he just do a lot of research? He seems to know everything about what he was writing about with exact detail!
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: A Mario Puzo Question! - 11/03/02 12:16 AM

Mario Puzo was born in Hell's Kitchen in New York on Oct. 15/1920. His parents were from Naples, Italy. As far as I know Puzo did not have any Mob ties and his work was all a result of intensive research. Puzo himself has declared that his portrayal of the Mafia is a heavily romanticized one and differs with the real thing. On his supposed Mob ties Puzo said in a AP interview in '96 "Where would I have time to be in the Mafia? I starved before the success of The Godfather. If I was in the Mafia I would have made enough money so I wouldn't have to write." Aside from this, Puzo was a rather stocky man who loved food, gambling and cigars. He could be mistaken for a Mobster or associate based on his appearance but the fact that all his work was based on research alone shows his genius.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: A Mario Puzo Question! - 11/03/02 06:10 AM

Don Jasani is right! Puzo had no connection with the Mafia. He said that the only two incidents in the novel that were based on his real-life observations were guns being passed between apartments, and a woman evicted because of a dog. But he was such a terrific storyteller that he made his account of the Mob utterly convincing. After the book became a hit (no pun intended), many Mobsters wondered out loud who he based Don Corleone on, and who his real-life "godfather" was who gave him "access" to base his observations on.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: A Mario Puzo Question! - 11/03/02 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
Don Jasani is right! Puzo had no connection with the Mafia. He said that the only two incidents in the novel that were based on his real-life observations were guns being passed between apartments, and a woman evicted because of a dog.
"Coach" and "Sally Rags", the two bookmakers who worked with Carlo, were based on real people Puzo knew (see "The Godfather Papers" by MP). Apparently, Puzo was quite a gambler himself.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: A Mario Puzo Question! - 11/03/02 02:53 PM

Originally posted by plawrence:
[QUOTE]"Coach" and "Sally Rags", the two bookmakers who worked with Carlo, were based on real people Puzo knew (see "The Godfather Papers" by MP). Apparently, Puzo was quite a gambler himself.
Yes. I read somewhere that Puzo wrote GF to generate the money to pay off gambling debts.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: A Mario Puzo Question! - 11/03/02 03:53 PM

BTW, "The Godfather Papers" is a great read. Tons of interesting stuff in there.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET