Home

All time best selling novel?

Posted By: Machiavelli

All time best selling novel? - 06/30/02 06:27 PM

In the paper back copy of The Godfather i have, there's a redsticker that says "THE ALL TIME BEST SELLING NOVEL IN PUBISHING HISTORY". So i was wondering if this was accurate or not. Can somenone provide more informations such links or stats on what other best-seller that were out sold by The Godfather? I am counting on you, Turnbull:). You seem to have the more insights for these things.
Posted By: Snake

Re: All time best selling novel? - 06/30/02 08:51 PM

I don't have the stats, but I can't hardly believe that The Godfather is "the best-selling novel in publishing history." That's gotta' be hype, man...and yes, I like the novel a lot. But with so many other timeless classics, not to mention the great works that have been published since, I cannot believe it's sold more copies than, say, Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, or Bram Stoker's Dracula. And this is to say nothing of Clancy, Rice, Grisham, etc. But, as I said, I don't have any "proof"...still, I think it's gotta' be hype.

Re: All time best selling novel? - 06/30/02 10:21 PM

Thank you for your opinion. That's what i thought too. I am still waiting for Turnbull. grin
Posted By: Snake

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/01/02 02:21 AM

Aye, Machiavelli! "Turnbull's a good man"! cool
Posted By: Anton The Penguin

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/01/02 11:31 AM

Hmmmm, "the best-selling novel in publishing history". I like the book but that is just hype, like Snake said. I'm not entirely sure The Godfather's earnings but I believe that The Lord Of The Rings, Gone With The Wind, and possibly even Harry Potter would've sold more. I must say though that The Godfather is a better book than GWTW and FAAAAAAR better than HP, yet I have to say I'm an avid LOTR fan. My #2 favorite book of all time is The Godfather.

Anton
[Linked Image]

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/16/02 11:50 PM

For those of you that cares, i recentky find out that indeed The Godfather isn't the all time best selling novel. That title belongs to Valley of the Dolls published in 1966 ad with 30 millions copies sold. So why did they blatanly lied on the sticker?
Posted By: MPuzo2

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/17/02 04:56 PM

Actually, It was at the top of New York Time's bestseller list for 64 consecutive weeks.
Posted By: CamillusDon

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/17/02 06:42 PM

1966- Valley of the Dolls was a sexy steamy book for its time.....today HA!
Machiavelli seems like you answered your own question..how about a link to your info....
Posted By: SC

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/17/02 08:29 PM

"Valley of the Dolls" is indeed the best selling novel of all time. (The best selling book of all time is "The Bible").

See this link for the short list: BEST SELLING BOOKS OF ALL TIME

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/17/02 08:31 PM

Originally posted by SC:
"Valley of the Dolls" is indeed the best selling novel of all time. (The best selling [b]book of all time is "The Bible").

[/b]
I am talking about novels and the bible isn't a novel, is it? Any ways, here's the link:http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/bestsellerFARQ.html

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/17/02 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Machiavelli:
I am talking about novels and the bible isn't a novel, is it?
Machiavelli -

What part of the first sentence in my last post here didn't you understand? I stated that the best selling novel of all time is "Valley of the Dolls".

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/17/02 08:44 PM

Originally posted by SC:
[b]I am talking about novels and the bible isn't a novel, is it?
Machiavelli -

What part of the first sentence in my last post here didn't you understand? I stated that the best selling novel of all time is "Valley of the Dolls".[/b]
SC, I made a mistake amd my post was a reply to Don Camillus. I thought you would have figured that out since he was the one questioning me. I didn't even see your post, so chill out.
Posted By: Blake

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/17/02 08:48 PM

Yeah I was in this book store and it said the bible was the best selling book of all time!

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/17/02 08:51 PM

SC, I made a mistake amd my post was a reply to Don Camillus. I thought you would have figured that out since he was the one questioning me. I didn't even see your post, so chill out.
Beg pardon. Chill out?? You quoted my post, and responded to me .

Loosen up, Mac.
Posted By: Daniel Corleone

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/18/02 07:06 AM

Originally posted by SC:
[b]
I am talking about novels and the bible isn't a novel, is it? Any ways, here's the link:http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/bestsellerFARQ.html[/b]
Thanks for the link. Does it update everyday? week? I bookmarked it (useful for trivia, info., games, etc). [Linked Image]

DC
Posted By: CamillusDon

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/18/02 02:43 PM

Thanks for the link..caught some interesting things off it....

...people in my main office said the Bible or Webster's Dictionary ....But they were not Novels.
Posted By: Almammater

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/19/02 10:58 PM

Machiavelli wrote :
In the paper back copy of The Godfather i have, there's a redsticker that says "THE ALL TIME BEST SELLING NOVEL IN PUBISHING HISTORY".

The back cover of my English paperback copy reads : "THE RECORD-BREAKING BESTSELLER" !!! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Nothing but hype fellas ! Marketing strategies don't move in mysterious ways !

As for best-selling novels, I don't have stats but I just want to point out that novels that belong to school/college curricula sell more than others, so I'd say that classical novels sell more than more recent books that get forbidden after a few years. But it may not be the case in America where there is no national school program.

Anyway, I want to add Shakespeare works to the list, although he wrote no novels but plays and sonnets. They sell as good as the Bible and popular English dictionnaries.
Posted By: Ricardo

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/30/02 03:44 AM

I've read before that The Godfater sodl 30 Million copies, so wouldn't it TIE with Valley of the Dolls.

I haven't looked at this link yet, nut i'm expectig it to be the Godfather, Lord Of Teh Rings, etc. near top.

The edition he is referrign to i I BELIEVE the Redcover Paperback 25th anniversary...1994.

Bible...6 Billion how many people actually BUY the Bible? Besides Churches, I borrow mine from Church? Pocket Bible is probably a Best Seller lol

The Pope probably doesn't even have more than 1 personal bible!

ANYWAY....there numbers are NOT based on sales or else they would be more accruate than...." about 6 billion"

Mao Zedong's Red Book sold 800 Million copies? I guess there ARE 1 billion peopel in CHina lol.

I Forgot about Guiness lol

Sorry, Cam/SC, but i doubt the authenticity of this site.
Posted By: Ricardo

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/30/02 03:48 AM

I guess you WERE right if i found the same info elsewhere!

http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/bestsellerFARQ.html

I didn't even know Exorcist HAD a book!
Posted By: Almammater

Re: All time best selling novel? - 07/31/02 06:22 PM

Ricardo wrote :
Bible...6 Billion how many people actually BUY the Bible? Besides Churches, I borrow mine from Church? Pocket Bible is probably a Best Seller lol
English literature students and teachers buy the Bible (a pocket edition at least) 'cuz most American and English writers have been influenced by the Bible, so you need to know it to understand their books better and be able to analyze them.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET