Home

Is this a mistake in the book?

Posted By: MStorrs

Is this a mistake in the book? - 12/10/01 05:21 PM

As I read the novel, I understood it to read that Sonny beats up Carlo in front of the bookie's shop 5 months after Carlo and Connie's marriage. This would place it in January of 1946, yet Carlo was taking book on baseball games.

Is this an error in the chronology?
Posted By: SC

Re: Is this a mistake in the book? - 12/10/01 06:47 PM

Originally posted by MStorrs:

Is this an error in the chronology?

Good catch, MStorrs. It apparently is an error. The reference to the baseball season starting, and the ending of the basketball season would make it April, which would have been eight months after Carlo and Connie were married, and not the five that Puzo wrote.
Posted By: Sonny

Re: Is this a mistake in the book? - 12/10/01 07:33 PM

Which reminds me, was it ever proven that the World Series (I forgot the year) was fixed (as suggested by Hyman Roth in GFII)????
Posted By: DonThomas

Re: Is this a mistake in the book? - 12/10/01 07:38 PM

I think so, Sonny. I'm not totally sure though. You better let one of the many baseball buffs around here answer that.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Is this a mistake in the book? - 12/10/01 08:27 PM

I believe it was proven, too (that the 1919 World Series was fixed).
Didn't several of the players testify at trial??
The Ken Burns PBS Series, "Baseball" covered this scandal quite extensively, but I haven't seen it in a few years. Anyway, the film "Eight Men Out" portrays this pretty well, too.
Apple
Posted By: SC

Re: Is this a mistake in the book? - 12/10/01 10:59 PM

There have been a few movies dedicated to the World Series scandal (most notably "Eight Men Out").

Arnold Rothstein was generally acknowledged to be the brains behind the scandal. Here's a link to a short bio on Rothstein: ARNOLD ROTHSTEIN and the WORLD SERIES
Posted By: Sonny

Re: Is this a mistake in the book? - 12/11/01 01:50 AM

Kewl...thanx mates
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Is this a mistake in the book? - 12/22/01 07:51 PM

Originally posted by SC:
There have been a few movies dedicated to the World Series scandal (most notably "Eight Men Out").

Arnold Rothstein was generally acknowledged to be the brains behind the scandal. Here's a link to a short bio on Rothstein: ARNOLD ROTHSTEIN and the WORLD SERIES

Leave it to old SC to supply the info and the links to gowith it!

Don Cardi
Posted By: Ricardo

Re: Is this a mistake in the book? - 02/06/02 02:00 AM

Judge Kenensaw Mountain Landis found eight of the Black Sox guilty, and banned them from baseball for life.
Posted By: Anthony Spilotro

Re: Is this a mistake in the book? - 02/07/02 02:18 AM

Good eye. I guess it IS a mistake.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET