Home

An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969)

Posted By: SC

An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969) - 08/07/01 09:14 AM

I found this gem on the internet, and thought I'd share it with you guys. It's a book review from April, 1969 (just as the novel was being released) by Dick Schaap, for The New York Times. (Schaap would later go on to author many sports books.)

The really weird thing is I remember reading this review when it first appeared (I was a senior in high school, getting ready for my summer break before going to college....I was looking for a few books to read over the summer).

BOOK REVIEW of \"The Godfather\" (1969) CLICK HERE
Posted By: Sonny

Re: An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969) - 08/07/01 04:20 PM

I didn't read it yet. I'll save it and read it later.

Thanx mate.
Posted By: sonny's girl

Re: An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969) - 08/08/01 02:43 AM

I read the review. My comments being has anyone read the Portony's Complaint? Anyway I find that Schapp did include a good list of likeness between the two stories. But my question is Were there any part of Puzo's Godfather that you found weak?

Re: An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969) - 08/08/01 04:18 AM

In addition to "The Godfather" I read "Portnoy's Complaint" that summer ('69) as well. It was a decent, kind of funny story, but not nearly as good as "The Godfather". (It was later made into a movie which did fairly well at the box office).

Personally, I found some of "The Godfather" storyline's a little weak. The whole business with Nino Valenti, Dr. Jules Segal and Lucy Mancini was distracting. I suspect Puzo included these parts to add "gratuitous sex" which was popular in the fiction of the time.
Posted By: Joey T

Re: An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969) - 08/08/01 04:54 AM

Jules Segal was boring and unneeded, thus the reason he was scrapped for the movie. On the other hand, although irrelevant to the tale, Nino Valenti was a good character. If enhanced, he could have meant more, but the story flowed better with him being a bit player. Still, I liked him. I've read 'Portnoy's Complaint' and truly agree with SC bout that one. Aight, I'm out.
Posted By: sonny's girl

Re: An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969) - 08/10/01 03:35 AM

I guess you can say that's why the left that out of the movie. But I didn't understand why they had Lucy and Dr. Jules such a major part in the book?
Posted By: ftw_from_ny

Re: An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969) - 08/11/01 08:36 AM

In reference to review:

Sonny was shot on the toll booths at the entrance to the Loop Parkway, off of the Meadowbrook Parkway (which runs north-south from Southern State Parkway to Jones Beach or - Long Beach...)nullnullThis guy should stick with sports...

Re: An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969) - 08/11/01 10:47 AM

Originally posted by ftw_from_ny:
In reference to review:

Sonny was shot on the toll booths at the entrance to the Loop Parkway, off of the Meadowbrook Parkway (which runs north-south from Southern State Parkway to Jones Beach or - Long Beach...)This guy should stick with sports...

You're right, ftw. Dick Schaap, who wrote that review, was based in New York, and familiar with its geography (he co-authored ".44", a good novel about the Son of Sam killer), but he missed Sonny's death spot in his review.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: An original book review of "The Godfather" (1969) - 08/21/01 06:59 PM

Super article. What did you think of the book, honestly, SC smile
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET