Posted By: Don Pappo Napolitano

Did you like Scarface? - 08/28/05 10:09 PM

I didn`t
Posted By: Nice Guy Eddie

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/29/05 04:04 AM

Thats because you have bad taste.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/29/05 05:19 AM

I liked it, but it's not one of my favorite movies.
Posted By: tdkpaul

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/29/05 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Don Pappo Napolitano:
I didn`t
wow, what a intelligent topic and what a explanation

that tops everything

@ topic

I did
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/29/05 01:16 PM

SPAM tongue

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/29/05 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Nice Guy Eddie:
Thats because you have bad taste.
Because my favourite movie is The Godfather, do you still think I have a bad taste? I don`t like it because, Tony Montana prefers to solve things with violence than his brain like Vito or Michael, of course we are talking about differents movies, and I did not like the ending when Montana dies. I would rather him to kill or his enemies, especially the one living in Bolivia.
Posted By: Peter_Clemenza

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/29/05 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Nice Guy Eddie:
[b] Thats because you have bad taste.
Because my favourite movie is The Godfather, do you still think I have a bad taste? I don`t like it because, Tony Montana prefers to solve things with violence than his brain like Vito or Michael, of course we are talking about differents movies, and I did not like the ending when Montana dies. I would rather him to kill or his enemies, especially the one living in Bolivia. [/b]
I like Scarface for the reasons that you dislike it, Don Pappo Nepolitano. (The last scene of) Scarface was not like many other generic movies.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/30/05 04:38 AM

I didn`t
My favorite movie of all time
Posted By: don vencent

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/30/05 02:27 PM

same here

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/30/05 10:31 PM

I thought Scarface was a great film. Though it is overrated.
Posted By: mr. soprano

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/01/05 07:33 AM

overrated it maybe...but its still a movie that i can sit down and enjoy. its not the godfather, and it was never meant to be the godfather, so comparisons are not appropriate. but i also wonÂșt say he has bad taste because he doesnÂșt like the movie...come on guys, lets let the guy have his opinion...but voice it when you start a thread.

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/01/05 05:27 PM

Thanks Mr Soprano, it is true, I did not like the movie though I have to admit it is not bored.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/01/05 10:04 PM

Scarface is a very entertaining and enjoyable movie. Al Pacino does a fantastic job as Tony Montana. While it is not a top of the line classic, it is a cult classic within it's own rite. It does have a large following. By no means does it compare to a Godfather type movie, but it does carry itself well. The Godfather movie is a deep movie with a main plot, and multiple sub-plots with almost every character. Scarface on the other hand is more of an action type movie with a general plot. It happens to be one of my favorite movies. Not a movie where, like the Godfatehr, you can watch it a hundred times and always pick up something new or different. But definitely a movie that you can watch over and over again and again and just sit back and enjoy it everytime.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about movies, and it is not fair to accuse someone of not having any taste, etc., because they don't enjoy a movie the same way that you do.

Me, I alway teel da troot, efen wen I lye!

And das it mang! Chu dunt lye Tony Muntana mang, den das chu problem mang. Den jus don't wash him, Ok? Ok. wink

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: wiseguy2000

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/03/05 06:16 PM

I love this movie.
I think Al Pacino was a better actor in Scarface than in the GF movies.
Why didn`t he earned an oscor for his role as Tony Montana?
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/04/05 11:00 PM

I feel Scarface is perhaps one of the most over-rated films of all-time. While it is a great film to watch, and a must-see for any Pacino fan, it is immensly over-rated. I feel that Oliver Stone speant too much time concentrating as making it as differant as he could in comparison to The Howard Hawkes 1932 version that he completely neglected any substance or moral. The 32' version--which took place in a prhobition-era Chicago, for anyone unfamiliar--had a bit more to it. While today it would fail to come through, for its time it had much more of a message than the DePalma 1983 verion; although, I find this to be true of most of the gangster films of the 30s and 40s. The only thing that brings this script to life is a combination of great visuals and quite the performance from Al Pacino.

But the one thing that really bothers me about it is the lack of substance. Although the great lot of the characters depicted in gangster films come to a similar fate, in some cases repeatitively, I feel that Tony Montana's final punishment isn't represented as charismatically or as originally as say, Henry Hill of Goodfellas. The final shootout is indeed very fun and entertaining to watch (I enjoyed it on the level of cheap-thrills), it is pure asthetic's. It give little dramatic-ease or climax to the story, if any.
Posted By: Joe Batters

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/05/05 05:20 AM

Scareface is a great movie and Al Pacino's acting in it is mind blowing......He really turned it on to play that role....wow think how hard it would be to talk like that throughout an entire movie.. for months....but on the other hand it definitly doesn't compare to the GF triology but it is up there in the best movies of all time......It is a great film....It's jsut missing some of the things that would have made it a GREAT GREAT film like GF I II and yeah I and II....(III)

[Linked Image]
Joe Batters
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/05/05 08:57 PM

Super film!
Whats not to like?

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/05/05 09:12 PM

Originally posted by wiseguy2000:
I think Al Pacino was a better actor in Scarface than in the GF movies.
lol
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/06/05 02:19 AM

Great film,not seen it for a while though,thats why i never join in the dialouge games lol
Posted By: scarfacefan

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/06/05 07:30 AM

My name answers the queston

I'm not surprised if some people don't like it. People have said it before, we all have different tastes.

There seems to be a new "Scarface is overrated" thread every week! There should be more "Madagascar is overrated" threads
Posted By: Vito The Godfather

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 09/06/05 06:09 PM

Of course I liked it, loved it. The end is amazing,without a doubt my Favorite top 5 movie of all time for sure. One of Al Pacino's best performance evah mang, chou anderstand?
Posted By: segnorina

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 01/17/06 11:41 AM

I loved it.
I loved it.
The world is yours grin
Pacino was great.
He was different in GF,not worse.He is a great actor.GREAT.I loved him as John Milton,too wink
Posted By: Ayperi

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 01/17/06 02:32 PM

Will someone tell me what "i cono" means? I really wanna know. I like Scarface but liked other pacino movies better.

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 01/17/06 04:12 PM

It's sort of a slang when you are pissed for like " Damn It, Fuck."

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Rudik

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 01/19/06 03:51 PM

Scarface was an Ok movie. nothing near the godfather. what made the movie good was al's performance. but there was no realism in the movie. it was like video game.
Posted By: Toni_corleone

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 01/21/06 04:01 AM

Great movie but not Al Pacino's best work he was way better in the godfather than he was in that movie I didn't think his accent was very good lol maybe it was just me but I thought Mike was his best character Tony would have to be his worst.

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 01/21/06 05:50 AM

Originally posted by Toni_corleone:
I didn't think his accent was very good. Tony would have to be his worst.
Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I respect it. But I strongly disagree with that.

Are chu kitting me mang! Dat guy's accent was on da money mang! Dat Al Pacino guy did a grea yob playin Antonio Montana.

In my opinion he had the cuban accent down pat.

Guineas, Mob Guyz, I dont truss dem!

wink

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 01/21/06 08:34 AM

It's one of my all time favorite films Al Pacino did a fantastic job as Tony Montana. The ending is excellent
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 01/23/06 04:38 AM

I loved it.
Posted By: Luciano Fanucci

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 03/05/06 09:09 PM

I for one loved Scarface.
Posted By: steph_in_NC

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 03/05/06 11:11 PM

I also love Scarface. Although The Godfather movies are my favorite, no one can deny that Al Pacino's performance in Scarface is awesome as well. (Just in a different way.)

The characters of Tony Montana and Michael Corleone cannot be compared. They come from totally different backgrounds and are two totally different individuals.

Scarface is a great movie! One of my favorites! smile
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 03/06/06 11:56 PM

Yes I do like Scarface. Also the 1932 Scarface version was great.
Posted By: Mr.MojoRisin

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 03/07/06 08:17 PM

I loved it, infact it's one of my favorite movies.
Posted By: Gangster_10

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 04/26/06 08:42 PM

Scarface and the Godfather should not be compared. They are two seperate movies. Althought they are both "Gangster" films they are on two different time periods, and two different kinds of gangsters. Although a little comparison can be made of Tony's life and believe it or not Vito's. They both came to this country with nothing and built empires, the only difference of course Vito lived to pass the empire down to his children. Whereas we all know Tony's fate. But it can be said that if Tony would have followed rule no. 2 "Dont getr high on your own supply" his empire might have stood the test of time. Because when not all "coked-up" Tony was smart and cunning and brave as hell.

-Gangster

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 04/26/06 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Gangster_10:
Scarface and the Godfather should not be compared. They are two seperate movies. Althought they are both "Gangster" films they are on two different time periods, and two different kinds of gangsters. Although a little comparison can be made of Tony's life and believe it or not Vito's. They both came to this country with nothing and built empires, the only difference of course Vito lived to pass the empire down to his children. Whereas we all know Tony's fate. But it can be said that if Tony would have followed rule no. 2 "Dont getr high on your own supply" his empire might have stood the test of time. Because when not all "coked-up" Tony was smart and cunning and brave as hell.

-Gangster
Some valid points Gangster_10.

I love both movies for their own reasons, but as you said, they cannot be compared.

Welcome to the boards.

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: anthony lee

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 05/02/06 05:58 PM

i like the godfather more but i love scarface

but it does depend on my mood , if am in a destructive mood (am a teenager so wa u expect??) ill watch scarface but if am in a different mood ill watch the godfather
Posted By: JRCX

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 05/04/06 04:53 AM

First time i saw scarface i was disapointed (I thought i was going to see a movie about al capone LOL) then i thought, all this unneccessary violence and cursing... then, after seeing it again and again over the years, you have to love it... sure, he is insane, but its a great fantasy flick... and the moral reasoning... he lost his life because he was not willing to kill a politician in front of his family, he rebelled against the authorities, paid the price, but in my opinion died a hero, if that is at all possible... i can only equate it to highplains drifter, where the outlaw comes in, proves he is one of the better guys even though an outlaw, cleans house, and then rides off into the sunset, except here, he dies in his jacuzzi lol... love it or hate it, any pacino or "shoot 'em up" mafia collector should have it in their library.
Posted By: reynols

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 05/10/06 10:05 PM

scarface is a great film about the rise and fall of one man
it is overrated but nevertheless a great film
Posted By: Wiseguy_1872

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 06/17/06 09:54 PM

I think Scarface (1983) came just at the right time, historically and politically it captures the 'me first' attitude of the nineteen eighties just before that attitude became part of popular culture.

With that in mind it's interesting that Oliver Stone was the scriptwriter; the whole 'age of excess' ethos links nicely with the Stone-directed 'Wall Street'.
Posted By: Don Alessandrio

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 06/23/06 09:10 PM

Only problem I have is Pacino playing a latino. Although he does do an amazing job.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 06/24/06 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Don Alessandrio:
Only problem I have is Pacino playing a latino. Although he does do an amazing job.
You have a problem with Pacino playing a Latino. But Pacino did an amazing job playing a Latino? confused

Makes perfect sense to me! rolleyes
Posted By: Don Alessandrio

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 06/26/06 06:58 PM

my comment was a bit of an inside joke. one of my friends (a very Italian guy) dislikes very much that Pacino played a latino. He also dislikes Andy Garcia playing an Italian. I was just making fun of him. Since he is pretty much an idiot, but he has been very consistant in his views.
Posted By: yakup_cemil

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 07/02/06 05:48 PM

i really loved it and i ll watch it again today because scarface have a lot of action scenes than Godfather and also i m crazy about Al pacino...
Posted By: Martin Joseph

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 07/05/06 09:36 PM

I liked it, and I didn't like it. When I watched it for the first time I thought it was great, but then when I went to watch it again I found myself fast forwarding, or using the menu selection to get to parts I wanted to see.
Posted By: Brwne Byte

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 07/14/06 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Don Alessandrio:
my comment was a bit of an inside joke. one of my friends (a very Italian guy) dislikes very much that Pacino played a latino. He also dislikes Andy Garcia playing an Italian. I was just making fun of him. Since he is pretty much an idiot, but he has been very consistant in his views.
Posted By: Brwne Byte

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 07/14/06 07:21 AM

Sorry 'bout that,guys.I ment to reply on what you said there.I'm new,so this is my first time doing the "reply to quote" thing. eek Anyway,what I ment to say was this: No disrespect,but I think your friend is silly for complaining about Al Pacino playing a latino.It is an actor's job to play something he is not,that's what being an actor is all about.If you can act well,(like Mr.Pacino can); then that is all that counts.It is that latin role that helped establish him as a succsessful actor today.But everyone is entitled to there opinion of coarse. smile
Posted By: Janice

Re: Did you like Scarface? - 08/10/06 01:23 PM

I watched it for the first time on cable last week. Thought it was rather dated, but Pacino was superb. And how hot was Michelle!

I just bought the two disc DVD set of Goodfellas. Am going to watch it today.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET