Home

good accent?

Posted By: mr. soprano

good accent? - 11/05/04 08:53 PM

i was watching scarface yesterday with my spanish friend. i kept telling her how good pacino was in the movie, and how i think he pulled off the accient reasonably well. my friend on the other hand thought that it was pacino's worst perfomance. and that his accent was awful. my friend is not cuban, my friend is ecuadorian. but my friend says she knows cuban accents and that it was really off. what do you guys think?
Posted By: Intenzo

Re: good accent? - 11/05/04 09:09 PM

Well i have heard a lot of back and forth with that some of my friends fell like your friend but i think he did a great job for someone who is not cuban.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: good accent? - 11/05/04 09:15 PM

I also think it was a great perormance,who else could have played that role better than pacino.
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: good accent? - 11/05/04 09:17 PM

That is expected though. I think anytime you see someone portraying something they are not, but you are- you will see it as bad.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: good accent? - 11/05/04 09:20 PM

The guy was great in the part and for the most part had the accent down pat!

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: good accent? - 11/05/04 11:06 PM

I thought it was his best performance. The accent, his manerisms, and everything about him I just thought was so authentic. No matter how many times I watch it, I still have to convince myself that that's Al Pacino up there.

Re: good accent? - 11/05/04 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Irishman12:
I thought it was his best performance. The accent, his manerisms, and everything about him I just thought was so authentic. No matter how many times I watch it, I still have to convince myself that that's Al Pacino up there.
Yes, I agree. It's funny that you should put it that way. Earlier I was watching Frankie and Johnny and I was thinking of all of Pacino's movies and what roles was he really the most convincing, where you actually had to remind yourself that it was Al Pacino. Scarface is most definately one of them.

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Tom

Re: good accent? - 11/06/04 03:52 AM

wasnt tonys dad an american?it may have affected his accent but thats just something al pacino would say to someone who asked.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: good accent? - 11/06/04 10:15 AM

It's not that tough to compare Tony's accent to a real Cuban one... You don't have to personally know a Cuban, yourself. Desi Arnaz was Cuban, there's your example of the authentic accent right there. Granted, he'd been in America longer than Tony had, but that's the gist of it.

I think Pacino did a pretty good job. He slipped at some parts, but all in all, it was good.
Posted By: QTN

Re: good accent? - 11/07/04 02:53 AM

Well asking for the authenticity of a Cuban accent from an Ecudorian is like a Georgian critiqing a Virginian accent. LIKE THEY WOULD KNOW.

Yes, like Latin America, southern accents are very different and individualistic unique(lol) compared to each other.

From Cuban accents I've heard here and there, Pacino's acting, mannerisms, accent, etc. are spot on.
Posted By: babysinister

Re: good accent? - 11/07/04 11:15 AM

There are different accents among different areas within a given country. If you're from one city or region you may have a different accent than someone from another city or region. It's noteworthy that Cubans that arrived in the U.S. after Mariel (1980 onwards) not only speak Spanish different than the Cubans from the original migration wave (circa 1960-1966), but some also even look a different "type." So many people left that unfortunate country that even the traditional ethnic mix was altered and the culture itself was affected accordingly. Pacino's take on the "Cuban" accent is just as valid as Robert Duvall's Cuban accent in "Wrestling with Ernest Hemingway," which, by the way, is another fine performance.
Posted By: don vencent

Re: good accent? - 11/08/04 02:22 PM

after scarface he never lost his accent.
in donnie brasco he had it.
Posted By: Greek Sicilian Mafia Don

Re: good accent? - 11/08/04 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Letizia B.:
He slipped at some parts, but all in all, it was good.
Where did he slip exactly? in your opinion that is?
Posted By: don vencent

Re: good accent? - 11/09/04 03:52 PM

A Lot of latinos were mad because some Italian
was playing a cuban

Re: good accent? - 11/09/04 04:06 PM

Originally posted by don vencent:
A Lot of latinos were mad because some Italian
was playing a cuban
They were also mad b/c they felt that the movie was showing Cubans in a negative light
Posted By: Greek Sicilian Mafia Don

Re: good accent? - 11/09/04 04:47 PM

[b] A Lot of latinos were mad because some Italian
was playing a cuban
They were also mad b/c they felt that the movie was showing Cubans in a negative light [/b]
They should be proud of scarface, cubans I mean, it would be great to have your ethnicity attached to such a classic film.
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: good accent? - 11/09/04 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Greek Sicilian Mafia Don:
[b]
[b] A Lot of latinos were mad because some Italian
was playing a cuban
They were also mad b/c they felt that the movie was showing Cubans in a negative light [/b]
They should be proud of scarface, cubans I mean, it would be great to have your ethnicity attached to such a classic film. [/b]
rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Re: good accent? - 11/09/04 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Greek Sicilian Mafia Don:
They should be proud of scarface, cubans I mean, it would be great to have your ethnicity attached to such a classic film.
Tell that to the English after Braveheart & The Patroit, or even more recently with Jews after The Passion of the Christ lol
Posted By: Intenzo

Re: good accent? - 11/09/04 07:44 PM

It's true a lot of Cubans did not like Scarface because they felt it gave Cubans a bad name . The story is about a drug dealer that did what ever he had to to get to the top. and don't get me wrong I love the movie it's a classic but I can see how people would be bothered by this movie. rember in the movie his own mother tells him " It's cubans like you the give a bad name to our people" cool
Posted By: CommonMafiaHood

Re: good accent? - 12/15/04 02:18 AM

Pacino slipped at the part were he tells elvira, "I want you to be the mother of my children." You can clearly tell he had no accent whatsoever. If you own the movie watch that part and tell me what u think.

Re: good accent? - 12/15/04 02:38 AM

Originally posted by Intenzo:
It's true a lot of Cubans did not like Scarface because they felt it gave Cubans a bad name . The story is about a drug dealer that did what ever he had to to get to the top. and don't get me wrong I love the movie it's a classic but I can see how people would be bothered by this movie. rember in the movie his own mother tells him " It's cubans like you the give a bad name to our people" cool
Intenzo, yes that is very true. But by the same token should Italians be mad at Godfather or Goodfella's movies? Italians can also claim that those movies give them a bad name, and many have in the past. Should Jewish people be mad at Once Upon A Time in America? Should the Irish be mad at Sleepers? I think that it is ridiculous when an ethnic group gets mad about the portrayal in these kinds of movies. That is exactly what they are, movies! All groups in this world have bad apples amongst them, but that does not mean that ALL of those people from the ethnic groups are what they are portrayed as!

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: good accent? - 12/15/04 06:15 AM

Not to mention that with the exceptions(like former New York Governor Mario Cuomo, but he lost to George Pataki rolleyes so ya whatever lol ) here and there, Italian-Americans apparently dig movies like the first two THE GODFATHER films and GOODFELLAS.....you know, because they are good movies
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: good accent? - 01/22/05 09:06 PM

Why should someone get angry about a movie or tv series? Cant people just sit down and enjoy a movie for what it is?
Posted By: Jay_Jay

Re: good accent? - 02/10/05 10:21 PM

It woz a bit tricky 4 me 2 get wot he woz saying because if the action but now coz ive seen it so many time it so much easier to understand him
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: good accent? - 02/11/05 02:05 AM

It woz a bit tricky 4 me 2 get wot u woz saying because if the spelling but now coz ive read tha post so many time it so much easier to understand it
tongue
Posted By: Cancerkitty

Re: good accent? - 02/11/05 03:02 AM

Originally posted by Don Smitty:
Why should someone get angry about a movie or tv series? Cant people just sit down and enjoy a movie for what it is?
That's a good question DS. I'm Polish-Irish and I just can't comprehend getting offended by things like this. I like "dumb polock" jokes, I think they're funny. I like gangster movies with Irish people in them. There's nothing wrong with it. It's not a judgement of the entire culure (well, I guess the jokes are but they're harmless), it's just the portrayal of on Irishman, or Italian, or Cuban, etc. doing bad things. It's an entertaining movie, end of story for me.
Posted By: Rudik

Re: good accent? - 02/17/05 10:10 PM

I thought the accent was good. One of my friends always though Pacino was cuban.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: good accent? - 02/20/05 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Jay_Jay:
It woz a bit tricky 4 me 2 get wot he woz saying because if the action but now coz ive seen it so many time it so much easier to understand him
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
It woz a bit tricky 4 me 2 get wot u woz saying because if the spelling but now coz ive read tha post so many time it so much easier to understand it
tongue
[Linked Image] lol lol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET