Home

Another Scarface remake?

Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Another Scarface remake? - 10/14/11 06:39 PM

http://screenrant.com/scarface-remake-universal-robf-132906/

Call me crazy but I am not against it....as long as they update the character for the times and not try to simply remake DePalma's version.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 10/14/11 08:00 PM

Which ethnic group will be represented?

My prediction: Eastern Europeans or Russians, considering it's going to be set in the present day.
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 11/30/11 03:59 PM

From Dark Horizons:

Quote:
Meanwhile "Training Day" writer David Ayer has signed on to pen the latest remake of "Scarface" at Universal. The new film will combine elements of the 1932 original, Brian de Palma's 1983 remake whilst setting it all in a modern crime world.

Ayer tells Deadline that he has no plans to do a straight up remake of the 1983 film. Instead he'll use the universal elements from both films - "a specificity of place, there was unapologetic violence, and a main character who socially scared the shit out of people, but who had his own moral cod . Each was faithful to the underworld of its time."

Sounds like good news. Ayer is a decent choice for the remake, and I like his philosophy with this. The original took place in Chicago, 1983 version in Miami, I wonder where the next one will take place. Ayer is a LA guy, so maybe there, although I would like to see it take place somewhere international this time around.
Posted By: AmericanCrime

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 07/26/12 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Which ethnic group will be represented?

My prediction: Eastern Europeans or Russians, considering it's going to be set in the present day.

I think it'll be an Albanian or a soemone from former Yugoslavia. I'm with you on that. And hopefully be set in NYC...
Posted By: TheKillingJoke

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 08/01/12 02:32 PM

I'm not against remakes. As long as they take an original, different approach to the context. I detest shot-for-shot remakes.
My guess is on the Albanians or on the Mexicans, since they are the two main up-and-comers.
Posted By: jace

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 08/03/12 05:54 PM

No Al Pacino movie should ever be remade. At least not his great ones. I think no one would wish for Serpico remake with Colin Farrell, or Scent of a Woman with Harrison Ford. Pacino made Scarface the movie it is.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 08/03/12 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: jace
No Al Pacino movie should ever be remade. At least not his great ones. I think no one would wish for Serpico remake with Colin Farrell, or Scent of a Woman with Harrison Ford. Pacino made Scarface the movie it is.

But don't you see the irony of your post? Pacino's "Scarface" was a remake. And some would argue that Paul Muni's "Scarface" was superior (although I'm not one of those people).

That being said, I agree that this story doesn't need to be retold for a third time. It's time for Hollywood to get original.
Posted By: jace

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 08/04/12 06:43 AM

Good point. I was referring to Pacino though, his movie was same themes, but modernized, and ethnicity changed. Very different script too, the trip out of country, the killings, the torture scene. Pacino made it respectable. He is also such a great, as was Muni, but each made their Scarface what it was.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: jace

But don't you see the irony of your post? Pacino's "Scarface" was a remake. And some would argue that Paul Muni's "Scarface" was superior (although I'm not one of those people).

That being said, I agree that this story doesn't need to be retold for a third time. It's time for Hollywood to get original.
Posted By: FrankGaglianoJR

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 08/20/12 07:23 PM

I think a scarface remake would me unbelivable however, it has to be the right man in the leading role spot, I dunno Johnny Depp??, Armand Assante?? i dunno it will be very very very very tough to top any pacino movie pacino is the best actor ever to talk this earth in my personl opinion.
Posted By: FrankGaglianoJR

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 08/20/12 07:23 PM

Just a opinion.
Posted By: Wilson

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 08/22/12 09:01 PM

Not quite sure how this would fly.

Al Pacino is a legend and doing a remake of Scarface would just be silly.

In my opinion Johnny Depp already had his own version. It was called Blow.
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 09/03/12 05:07 PM

Johnny Depp as Scarface? He's a talented actor but i just can't buy into him as a tough guy. Same with DiCaprio.
Posted By: Wilson

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 09/04/12 02:05 AM

Have you ever watched the movie Blow with Johnny Depp? That is what a remake of Scarface would be like with him in it. But its already been filmed so no need to try it again.
Posted By: ThePolakVet

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 09/10/12 03:31 PM

If they make it as a Russian crime group, I hope they do not tatoo them from head to toe as they always do, lol.
Posted By: ismokeonce

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 11/29/12 07:36 AM

Have watched Blow and it's one of the best movie ever of Johnny Depp.. This is awesome and is really worth watching for so many times.
Posted By: ChiSox74

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 02/05/14 07:05 PM

The only way it would really be current is to make the lead character Mexican and set it in L.A., Arizona, or Texas...I would love to see it brought back to Chicago, but for it to capture the intensity of the most recent cartel wars I think it would have to be physically close to Mexico, but in the United States...and there would have to be Santeria, La Nina Blanca, narco-corridos and beheadings
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 05/19/14 07:09 PM

I am dead set against this remake one thing it has already been done via the 1983 version. And a remake of that one would just ruin the 1983 version. I heard it will feature the mexico connection, I will not watch this remake at all I will stay true to the 1983 version which in my view is the best remake of all time period.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 05/20/14 08:20 AM

I have read the 1929 Armitage Trail's noveland this is something that I would recommend also to you, because the book has little in common with the 1932 movie starring Paul Muni.
Because began in the 1916 when the protagonist wasn't yet called Tony Camonte, a name that will take after it had been disfigured during WWI; family thinks that he dead valiantly in combat,for don't humiliate the family will adopt the name of Tony Camonte, while his brother will honestly career in the police, he climbs the top of the Mafia.
Now the book is much more intense that the movie, which at the time seriously risked censorship and not to be screened, and deserves to be faithfully adapted for the cinema.
Don't make useless remake of the remake of DiPalma mvie with other ethnic groups in place of the Cubans.
Posted By: afriendofours

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 06/01/14 05:05 PM

All of these remakes sound potentially horrific lol.

Scarface, goodfellas, the godfather, donnie brasco etc are all movies that most definitely should never be remade.

I hate this era of remaking movies Hollywood is going through, here's hoping it peeters off before they ruin anymore classics.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 06/03/14 11:33 AM

afriendofours the Brian dePalma 1983 Scarface was already a remake of 1932 movie based on the 1928 book of Armitage Trail.
So read the book, and after you read it, see yourself the movie in 1932.
The book is much nicer than the 1932 movie in which given the time, was ordained to the director to include a scene where it was said that not all Italian-American were gangsters.
I just suggested is to make a new movie not a remake,faithfully based on the book.
Posted By: don illuminati

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 09/04/14 12:07 PM

Why not do a film on the rise of the corleonesi in Sicily and their overpowering and slaughter of the Palermo families in 1981 and 1982. It would offer the allure of drugs, money, brutal murder, torture and betrayal all in a true story.

the vehicle could be centered around Toto riina, Bernardo provenzano, leoluca bagarella, Salvatore inzerillo or Stefano bontate.
Posted By: DonKostic

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 09/06/14 01:50 PM

There's already a miniseries on Toto Riina called Il Capo dei Capi.
Posted By: DonMega1888

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 11/28/14 04:26 PM

Kinda a waste

No actor could top Pacino in this, it's a role he made his own
Posted By: Greenlandzone

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 02/10/15 01:42 AM

Thanks. I was searching the same information since many months. Thanks for your hard work.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 03/26/15 01:27 PM

Scarface remake moving forward
Posted By: Paul Pisano

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 09/11/16 06:01 PM

if they are going to do a true scarface movie it should be about capone since that is who the character is based on. after being in a fight and having his face cut capone was referred by others as scarface. as to who can play the part it is up in the air. i would have loved to see a capone movie with james gandolfini in it but that is not going to happen.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 09/27/16 08:33 AM

Here we go again...?

Antoine Fuqua Circling New ‘Scarface’ At Universal
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 10/28/16 05:38 AM

They have been talking about it for nearly a decade now. Two is enough.
Posted By: BigRed

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 02/05/17 05:46 PM

Michael K Williams was made for this role.

Definitely didn't get it eating pineapple.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Another Scarface remake? - 02/11/17 09:09 AM

It seems it's finally true...

Universal sets Scarface reboot for 2018

'Scarface' reboot with 'Rogue One' star Diego Luna gets release date

So...

Written/polished by: Cohen Brothers
Directed by: TBD
Starring: Diego Luna
Taking place in: Modern day Los Angeles
Releasing: August 10, 2018
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET