Home

Is Scarface overrated?

Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Is Scarface overrated? - 04/10/09 05:32 AM

As much as I love Scarface, I can't help but think it's overrated. And seeing how dead this section has been for a really long time I thought this might bring it to life a bit.

Is Scarface overrated? Please discuss.

Posted By: The_Don_Is_Dead

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 04/10/09 01:39 PM

It is overrated in today's society, i would like to think that it is in my top 250 favorite films list.

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 04/11/09 06:31 AM

Maybe the movie went from underrated to overrated due to the popularity it received with the Special Edition DVD releases a few years back. I remember you couldn't go anywhere without seeing Tony Montana's face. T-shirts, posters, etc... I think there was a video game or two right?

An overload of a good thing can make people turn on it, and I think that's what has happened with Scarface.

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 04/11/09 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Maybe the movie went from underrated to overrated due to the popularity it received with the Special Edition DVD releases a few years back. I remember you couldn't go anywhere without seeing Tony Montana's face. T-shirts, posters, etc... I think there was a video game or two right?

An overload of a good thing can make people turn on it, and I think that's what has happened with Scarface.

Two video games, one was The World Is Your's and the other one was Money, Power And Respect.
Both of them were pretty shit actually, The World Is Your's is better though.
Brian De Palma is the main reason that i hate Scarface (the most overrated director ever).
Oliver Stone's script was pretty sub-par actually and Pacino was overacting.
But i still like it for some reason it is a pretty fun movie.

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 04/24/09 05:55 PM

So much for stimulating conversation, this section is dead.
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 04/25/09 03:03 AM

gonna help you here Blibble.

here in my country no one talks about Scarface so I had to vote for "no", it isn't overrated.

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 04/25/09 10:16 AM

But here when we say Al's name everyone says "Say Hello To My Little Friend".

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" would have been a better response whenever i say Al Pacino.
Posted By: karlyquo

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 11/28/11 02:24 PM

no,its not over rated,a true great gangster movie
one of als finest on screen performances!!!! clap
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 11/28/11 03:24 PM

Although one of my favorite films, I votes yes. I do think the film is overrated by all these so called gangsta rappers and shit.
Posted By: Frosty

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 11/30/11 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Although one of my favorite films, I votes yes. I do think the film is overrated by all these so called gangsta rappers and shit.
I agree, I liked some of the actors but didn't happen for me.
Posted By: ukwiseguy

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 12/28/11 01:20 PM

One of my favorite movies but yeah it is quite over-rated these days.

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 01/01/12 09:54 PM

I think this is what messed it up for me, Sonny said it !
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 01/06/12 07:47 AM

Overrated? No. Yeah, there are a lot of stupid kids and rappers that wear Tony Montana shirts. But those sames ones also wear stuff from The Godfather. Is that overrated too?
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 01/10/12 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Overrated? No. Yeah, there are a lot of stupid kids and rappers that wear Tony Montana shirts. But those sames ones also wear stuff from The Godfather. Is that overrated too?

I've never seen The Godfather been overhyped by gangsta rappers as I saw they did with Scarface. Hell, they even devoted an entire documentary to the dvd and blu-ray which focusses on how P. Diddy and his 'homies' loved Tony Montana and what he meant for them.

If it wasn't for Tony Montana, P Diddy wouldn't have been successful.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 01/10/12 11:57 PM

I've never seen The Godfather been overhyped by gangsta rappers as I saw they did with Scarface. Hell, they even devoted an entire documentary to the dvd and blu-ray which focusses on how P. Diddy and his 'homies' loved Tony Montana and what he meant for them.

If it wasn't for Tony Montana, P Diddy wouldn't have been successful.

The Godfather movies, like a lot of art, are popular with several different audiences. I don't see why one person's enjoyment of art need interfere with anyone else's.

Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 01/17/12 03:36 PM

Yes.
Posted By: babysinister

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 01/27/12 10:57 PM

I share this view, precisely. I'm old enough to have seen it when it came out, despite the fact that practically all the critics had panned it and it was surrounded by negative controversy. And it blew me away. The most intense movie I watched in the 80s. That is my defining perspective on the movie. Gangstas, marketing hype, cultists and revisionists notwithstanding.
Posted By: Blake

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 01/30/12 06:52 PM

No, it's not overrated. It's a super cool and some-what true to life movie with some crazy acting by Al Pacino. I'm not surprised it's so popular.

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 03/02/12 01:15 AM

Blake, I have to agree that Al Pacino, did a outstanding job , but he always does ! One hell of a actor ! He studies, his subjects, say going back away's Serpico ! Outstanding again ! He and Jack Nickleson, Robert DeNaro , Joe Peshi, Clint Eastwood ! And many others sorry I failed to mention names ! But anyone of us with any intelegence ( maynot be able to spell LMAO!) Knows what I mean ! I did not like some of the RAP , or stuff ! I love Jazz !!!!!!! But read above what Sonny Black stated in Lilo's post , nothing personal there Lilo ! Give me the Platter's, and such ! I will fricken love it !

Blake ! How are your fish doing my friend? Still have my 3 wisemen, or 3 stogies ! Don't matter they are good guys , my crew! LOL !

Frosty

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 04/07/12 03:31 AM

Wow this thread is still around? Interesting the votes are at an even 14 each.
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: Is Scarface overrated? - 04/15/12 02:03 PM

Really? To me thats about like asking if Jesus is overrated. First off the movie is a cult classic that is reborn with every new wave of teenagers that find a way to watch it for the first time. "Say hello to my little friend!" is a classic line that will never go away as long as the sun stays where it is now in relation to the Earth. The biggest mistake whoever is in control of the Scarface title is not push for The World is Yours 2 the video game, number one literary sold millions of copies and that was on PS2, just think what they could have done with the advancements of the PS3. In the game you take over Miami and secure your supply lines, all that's left now is the SE United States, then the rest of the US, and then take over the world baby! If you did not like this game you are an absolute idiot.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET