Home

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead

Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 05:38 AM

"Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dead"

By staff writers
September 04, 2006 02:14pm

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest and reportedly into his heart .

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) was called about 11am (AEST) and an emergency services helicopter was flown to the crew's boat on Batt Reef, off the coast near Cairns, with a doctor and emergency services paramedic on board.

Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

One report today said his American-born wife Terri was trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and was yet to be told of her husband's death.

The Irwins have two children - a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin, eight, and a three-year-old son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin.

Steve Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

In an sad twist, it has been reported that his new documentary was aimed at demystifying the stingray.

Irwin's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

Louise Yates said it was impossible to quantify how much Mr Irwin had meant to the Queensland tourism industry.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

"It would be difficult to estimate how much he was worth. And it would be difficult to underestimate."

She said Irwin had been a larger-than-life ambassador.

"It's not just what he brought but what he took with him when he travelled, his passion."

Australia Zoo, on southeast Queensland's Sunshine Coast, employs more than 500 people and attracts thousands of visitors every day.

But Ms Yates said it would be "unfair and unjust" to put a dollar value on Irwin's worth to the state, because of how much he had given.

------------------------------------

Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 05:44 AM

Oh my God...I wish this was a joke.

He lived life on the edge, but this still comes as such a shock.

His poor family.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 05:44 AM

What a horrible tragedy.

I just feel so bad for his wife and children.

Signor V.
Posted By: Jimmy Buffer

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 05:50 AM

This is pretty incredible. He has taken so many chances with wild animals, it's too bad it finally bit him in the ass(no pun intended). I always liked watching his show on Animal Planet. I guess it goes to show that some animals are wild for a reason. RIP Croc Hunter.

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 06:10 AM

Well, here is what I've been told of what happened.

The breastplate could have stopped the barb, but in a freak angle, it went UNDER the breastplate. Yikes.
Posted By: DonVitoCorleone

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 06:19 AM

[ Not funny! --JG ]

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 06:30 AM

I thought it was hilarious, Geoff.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
I thought it was hilarious, Geoff.
Not in the least, actually.

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 07:00 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EBwRE4bo30o
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 08:32 AM

This is crazy,i nearly went to see him at the zoo that he owns in brisbane Australia,Was such a brave man and insperation to others,This is so sad
Posted By: DE NIRO'S SISTER

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 11:02 AM

Yes it is i found this

News This is awful.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 12:24 PM

Pretty nuts when you consider a stingray got him after all the other crazy shit he's done in the past.

Sad, when I saw the news this morning I thought maybe it was a joke, but damn.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 12:31 PM

Sad news.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 12:59 PM

God speed to his family.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 01:24 PM

Wow!! I can't say I am a fan of the show, but everyone knows who the "crocodile Hunter" is. What a shame. I've only seen bits & pieces of the show, but that guy not only had a lot of guts, but I had an entertaining manner as well.

I hear he as left a wife and two young children. That's gotta be awful.

TIS
Posted By: Ice

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 03:42 PM

His show is going to be HUGE in syndication now that this has happened. People will wanna go back and see all the other times he was almost killed.

I thought it was a joke when I read it on the internet this morning b/c this is not the first time his death has been rumored. I couldn't believe it when I found out this one was actually real.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 03:42 PM

I'm shocked!

I wouldn't say he was a brave man for the things he did...I'd just say he had more balls than brains. But hey...he died doing what he loved.

I loved watching his show. This is truly saddening news. RIP.
Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:

I wouldn't say he was a brave man for the things he did...I'd just say he had more balls than brains. But hey...he died doing what he loved.
i agree. he died doing what he loved and also doing those for Us viewers. Thanks for the knowledge Crocodile Hunter.
RIP.

GoodFella
Posted By: exgigirl

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/04/06 07:38 PM

It is unfortunate a freak accident took him from his family and the world at such a young age, but as someone else said, he was doing what he loved and was trying to show others that all animals serve a purpose in this life. I am sad for his family. I enjoyed his shows very much.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/05/06 01:31 AM

He died doing what he loved; and it is indeed a tragedy.

However I can't help but find ironic the fact that he reportedly approached the stingray, apparently let down his guard and was fatally injured when, sensing danger the creatur used its only form of defense. Irwin had boasted many times about the ability to be in complete control over an animal...most notably when he came under fire two years ago for taunting a hungry crocodile while holding his infant son under one free arm.

While incredibly sad, this death ought to be a lesson that no matter how skilled and well-trained, we are NEVER completely in control over the nature of a wild animal.

Apple

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/05/06 01:35 AM

Again, from what I understand, the barb from the stingray was launched in a freak angle, and it got Irwin UNDER the breast/chest plate, which of course struck his vital organs.

If it had hit his chestplate, it would have been immensively painful and probably need medical care, but he would have lived.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/05/06 01:43 AM

He swam over the animal...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/07/06 05:19 PM

At last, a win for the Devil Rays.

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/08/06 04:39 AM

The thing is, I am sure that sting ray now has street cred in the animal kingdom.

"Bitches, I killed the Crocodile Hunter. Don't fuck with me!"
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/08/06 12:50 PM

Yeah very funny
Posted By: Double-J

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dead - 09/08/06 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
"Bitches, I killed the Crocodile Hunter. Don't fuck with me!"

Yo motherfucker, watch my tail, I'll bitch slap you back down to the Barrier Reef! :p
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET