Home

2005: Best Films

Posted By: Don Vercetti

2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 06:44 AM

So far I've seen 20 films from 2005 and I will update this list in the future.
----------------------------

1) Last Days
2) Broken Flowers
3) No Direction Home: Bob Dylan
4) Syriana
5) Jarhead
6) Batman Begins
7) War of the Worlds
8) Crash

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 06:45 AM

9) The 40 Year-Old Virgin
10) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
11) Kingdom of Heaven
12) Sin City
13) Cinderella Man
14) Wedding Crashers
15) Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
16) Four Brothers *
17) The Interpreter *
18) Mr. and Mrs. Smith
19) Hitch
20) Monster-in-Law
21) Hostage
22) Domino
23) The Longest Yard
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 06:45 AM

Did you see Syriana?

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 06:46 AM

I guess not. You should really see Syriana before you complete your list..

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 06:48 AM

If I did it would be on my list. :p

It's at my local theater but only ONCE in a day. I guess Syriana isn't that popular with the young crowd. :rolleyes:

I've been reflecting on War of the Worlds and The 40-Year-Old Virgin, and I'll be rewatching them soon. I'm considering moving them down to two stars but the more I think of the former, the more I only have a problem with the ending (not uncommon with Spielberg's latest films).

Anyway, I wish I had the money to get this on Tuesday. It's a bitch finding a job I don't hate.
Posted By: svsg

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 07:06 AM

I remember watching these. I will update as and when I remember more

Jarhead
Brokeback Mountain
Last days
King Kong
Syriana

Narnia

A History of Violence
Weatherman
40 year old virgin
transporter 2
crash

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 07:10 AM

I thought you disliked Last Days? What were your thoughts on A History of Violence? I missed my chance at seeing it.

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
I thought you disliked Last Days? What were your thoughts on A History of Violence? I missed my chance at seeing it.
I didn't dislike it, I said I will reserve my final opinion for later. I thought it was dull when I saw it, but as you explained, it was meant to be that way. I wrote the review soon after I watched the movie. But later the music and images kept haunting me for the next few days. I wanted to watch it again, but my roomie returned the dvd to blockbuster in a hurry. I will watch it again though. I rated it high now becasue of its uniqueness and ability to influence me without much dialogue. I will revisit my rating of the movie after I re-watch it.

I did not like A History of Violence that much. My thoughts on that movie is Here
Posted By: MistaMista Tom Hagen

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 08:24 AM

Top 20 Movies I Saw in 2005 (I only saw 20)
1. Brokeback Mountain
2. Layer Cake
3. The Weather Man
4. Capote
5. Wedding Crashers
6. Broken Flowers
7. Lord of War
8. Crash
9. Sin City
10. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
11. Good Night, and Good Luck
12. Jarhead
13. Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
14. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
15. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
16. Syriana
17. Munich
18. Batman Begins
19. Two For the Money
20. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 02:50 PM

10 Favorite Movies of 2005 in order:
1) Sin City
2) Cinderella Man
3) Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
4) King Kong
5) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
6) Walk the Line
7) The Wedding Crashers
8) Fantastic Four
9) Batman Begins
10) High Tension
Posted By: Omar Suarez

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 04:35 PM

1. Syriana (Stephen Gaghan)
2. The Squid and the Whale (Noah Baumbach)
3. Paradise Now (Hany Abu-Assad)
4. A History of Violence (David Cronenberg)
5. Munich (Steven Spielberg)
6. Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch)
7. The Ice Harvest (Harold Ramis)
8. Capote (Bennett Miller)
9. Winter Solstice (Josh Sternfeld)
10. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Shane Black)

Still need to see: "Brokeback Mountain"; "Match Point"; "The New World"

Runner's Up (in alphabetical order):
"Crash" (Paul Haggis)
"Jarhead" (Sam Mendes)
"King Kong" (Peter Jackson)
"Last Days" (Gus Van Sant)
"March of the Penguins" (Luc Jacquet)
"Me and You and Everyone We Know" (Miranda July)
"Shopgirl" (Anand Tucker)
"Sin City" (Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller, and Quentin Tarantino)
"Stay" (Marc Forster)
"The Upside of Anger" (Mike Binder)
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 05:11 PM

Last Days
Broken Flowers
Wolf Creek
Voksne mennesker (Dark Horse)
De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté (The Beat That My Heart Skipped)
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story

To be continued...

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 05:14 PM

A History of Violence
Me and You and Everyone We Know
Dear Wendy
Bacon's Arena
Batman Begins
War of the Worlds
Sin City
Corpse Bride

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 05:15 PM

Mørke (Murk)
The Overcoming
La Demoiselle d'honneur/Die Brautjungfer/La damigella d'onore (The Bridesmaid)
Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen (The Forest for the Trees)
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Stairwell
Monsters
Match Point
The Descent
Land of the Dead
Risk
On a Clear Day
Into the Blue
Millions
Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather

Re: 2005: Best Films - 12/31/05 09:14 PM

Definitely without a doubt!
"Walk The Line"

A true life story of Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash.
I was never a Johnny Cash fan, But after seeing this film i sure am now!

"Joaquin Phoenix" portrays Johnny Cash to perfection!
And i can't say enough about the performance "Reese Witherspoon" gives as June Carter Cash, never seen her in a drama role before!

Two very convincing actors! My hat go's off to them!
And THE OSCAR GO'S TOO "Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon!
Clapping
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/01/06 12:14 AM

I didn't have the chance to see many movies in 2005 I'll rank the ones I did see in order of enjoyment.

1 Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith(clearly the best film of the year of the ones I saw, and the best Star Wars film since Empire Strikes Back, a fitting end to the Star Wars franchise)
2 Lord Of War
3 Mr & Mrs Smith
4 Batman Begins
5 Sin City
6 Hostage(easily the worse of the 6)

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/01/06 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Iceman:
I didn't have the chance to see many movies in 2005 I'll rank the ones I did see in order of enjoyment.

1 Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith(clearly the best film of the year of the ones I saw, and the best Star Wars film since Empire Strikes Back, a fitting end to the Star Wars franchise)
I agree it was the best Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/01/06 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Omar Suarez:

Did you like that one? I was tempted to see it but ultimately passed after it got some mediocre reviews.
Posted By: Omar Suarez

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/01/06 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
[quote]Originally posted by Omar Suarez:
[b]
Did you like that one? I was tempted to see it but ultimately passed after it got some mediocre reviews. [/b][/quote]Yes I did, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
I went in expecting a cross between "Bad Santa" and "Fargo", but instead, the film was as dark as "Fargo", but not the hilarious "Bad Santa" followup that the trailer's made it out to be. It was a character-study of lost souls stuck in a dead-end existence, masquerading as a neo-noir.

I read many (bad) reviews for this film, but I honestly think I'm the only one who saw that aspect of the film. My candidate for the most mis-understood film of the year.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/02/06 04:58 AM

Star Wars Revebge of the sith was the best movie of the year

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/02/06 05:26 AM

Of all the movies I saw in 2005 these are the top 5:

1. Syriana
2. The Interpreter
3. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
4. Wedding Crashers
5. Kingdom of Heaven
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/02/06 02:59 PM

Wow, I've only seen four films mentioned so far. Sith, Land of the Dead, War of the Worlds and Sin City. Two of them were on copied DVD's. But I hate the cinema anyway. Last visit I spent half the time shouting at kids to shut up.

Loved episode III and Land of the Dead. Independence Day II, I mean War of the Worlds was rubbish and Sin City was highly overrated.

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/02/06 09:25 PM

Turi, at least three of those films (perhaps not Land of the Dead) were what I would call "big screen" films. I'm not too fond of seeing Sin City again, for my memory of it on the big screen was extraordinary. Same goes for Revenge of the Sith, to which time hasn't been too kind for me, but after seeing it in the packed theatre on its opening weekend, I thought it was a masterpiece, as far as filmwatching experiences go.

So, shame on you for funding piracy. :p

I do agree, however, how going to the cinema can sometimes almost ruin a film. I once saw Truffaut's La nuit americaine (Day for Night), and the forced laughter from the middle-class art-"lovers" almost ruined the fun for me.

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/02/06 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
Last visit I spent half the time shouting at kids to shut up.
I was in a similar situation yesterday watching the Chronicles of Narnia

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/03/06 12:28 AM

When I watched "A history of violence" people laughed in the theater during the philadelphia scene at the end. I wonder if the director had intended for a comedy scene before the climax...

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/03/06 12:31 AM

My friend and I were laughing too. He found it hilarious and I found it quite enjoyable as well. But the little teenie boppers yesterday during Narnia I was about to KILL

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/03/06 01:28 AM

2005 Reviews
Last Days - FilmCinemaMovie / Gangster BB
Broken Flowers - FilmCinemaMovie / Gangster BB

A few words for the year.

Interesting so far. The Longest Yard is my worst of the year. As for the whole ID4/War of the Worlds thing. The former is a horrible movie. The latter was a strong film for the most part, suffering only a poor ending. Poor endings have been a motif for Spielberg the last several years, unfortunately.

The 40 Year Old Virgin and Wedding Crashers. The former is genuinely funny for the most part, though the second half is more rocky and falls into some cliche bits of humor. Wedding Crashers was funny, but overrated and predictable. As much as I love Vaughn's movies on an entertainment scale, this film still suffered from poor humor. It's better than the last few movies he did like the horrible Dodgeball and Starsky and Hutch, but not amazingly.

Crash was a great idea for a film, but thinking back on it I am reminded too much of other L.A. films like Short Cuts and Magnolia. It turns out to be a good film, but best of the year according to Roger Ebert? Not close. Some scenes work beautifully, others feel like a made-for-school film about how racism is bad. However there is one brilliant moment in it. You embarrass me. You embarrass yourself.

Batman Begins was a great change. We've had the horror of a constant flow of corny, cliche comic book films made for no reason other than making money off of young audiences, not far from the definition of exploitation films. This is the first good one since the last Burton film, but it comes together as a great film, both drama-wise and in special effects, which for once didn't feel like a video game. I didn't see the Batman costume for a large portion of the film, and I didn't care, because the plot grabbed me.

Revenge of the Sith was one of the overrated parts of the year. I rewatched bits on my DVD which I plan to rewatch in full soon, and couldn't help feeling disappointed. The special effects everyone raved about, while great on the big screen, look like my Star Wars video games, only slightly better rendered, and minus the loading screens. The story is great of course and I still enjoy the film being a fan of the franchise, but it fails being better than any of the original films. With robots saying "Owie" and the horrible dialogue that Lucas had written for him, I can't say this is great at all. Lucas had to have someone else improve his poor dialogue, and it didn't help much at all. The transition between Anakin and Vader was ridiculously fast as well. One minute he's conflicted about what he did, and two seconds later he's being inaugurated as Vader.

I have three four star films this year. Last Days, Broken Flowers, and No Direction Home: Bob Dylan. Last Days should win best film, cinematography, and best original song at least, but it'll get nothing. Both Last Days and Broken Flowers are excellent character studies, the former being one of the best films in the last several years. The latter being Jarmusch's second best. Michael Pitt and Bill Murray did great jobs in their acting, both in subtle ways. For Pitt it was his body language and Murray, his facial subtlety. Scorsese's No Direction Home: Bob Dylan is an excellent portrayal of Dylan, and it's Bob Dylan himself. It succeeds where for example Ray failed. Both show love for their subject but Scorsese provides a much more intimate and real depiction. And the ending is perfect. Not a montage of bullshit, but one that evokes a sense of musical freedom and apathy. Playing what you want and not giving a fuck.

Jarhead was another great moment this year, from Sam Mendes. Wonderfully directed, although not the masterwork American Beauty was. Still it was a great film, with beautiful cinematography and an off-beat look at war from a bored point of view. It also proved to be very funny as well, without sacrificing drama.

Below are the three best of the year, four star films.

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/03/06 03:32 AM

I told my friends dad I really liked Brokeback Mountain, so he went and saw it, and hated it.

Now he thinks Im a total f ag.

Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/03/06 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Same goes for Revenge of the Sith, to which time hasn't been too kind for me, but after seeing it in the packed theatre on its opening weekend, I thought it was a masterpiece, as far as filmwatching experiences go.

I was lucky to see an advance screening of that at midnight in Cleethorpes of all places. Loved it then, got it on DVD now and still love it.

I get what you mean about the big screen feel though. After watching Apocalypse Now on the big screen a few years ago I came out having to adjust to reality.
Posted By: Don Zaluchi

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/03/06 11:11 PM

The best films I've seen in 2005:
Crash
Jarhead
Munich
Everything is Illuminated
Brokeback Mountain
Broken Flowers
King Kong
Syriana
Good Night, and Good Luck.
and maybe The Constant Gardener.
If I think of some more I'll have to edit this post :p
Posted By: Don Chater

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/03/06 11:45 PM

jarhead wasn't that good whatsoeevr

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/03/06 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Chater:
jarhead wasn't that good whatsoeevr
Could you be more descriptive?

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/16/06 09:53 PM

Updated list.
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/17/06 01:41 AM

I'm surprised so few of you put Walk the Line on your lists (if any). I loved that film. The acting alone made it great.

The Doc

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/17/06 06:53 AM

Yeah I loved it too. It came in at #6 on my list
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/17/06 07:02 AM

UPDATED Top 10 list of 2005:

1 - A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
2 - MUNICH
3 - SIN CITY
4 - GOOD NIGHT, GOOD LUCK
5 - LAST DAYS
6 - BATMAN BEGINS
7 - JARHEAD
8 - WALK THE LINE
9 - HP4: GOBLET OF FIRE
10 - THE DEVIL'S REJECTS

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/17/06 07:06 AM

Wow, I'm REALLY surprised to see you not only put Sin City at #3 but before Batman Begins
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/17/06 07:22 AM

Well, yearly rankings and reviews are nice, but when put to the task of cutting the mustard in naming the best and most impressive motion pictures of the year...as much as I enjoyed BATMAN BEGINS as a movie buff and long-time BATMAN fan, I still was shocked with SIN CITY. Besides affording Mickey Rourke a career-comeback in Hollywood in grand style(and ALMOST stealing the movie before the other stories had a chance), it actually gave Clive Owen an almost Movie Star-making opportunity...no wonder many wanted him to play the new James Bond. Three stories that range from vigialnte pulp justice, blood and brawn, to pure bullets and adventure, to a drama of sorts.

Not to mention that Robert Rodriguez, while seeming like a nice guy and impressive that he's Director/Writer/Producer/Composer/Editor/Cinematographer/Visual Effects Supervisor....all his movies had been meh or nothing extraordinary. One can blame his not-exactly exciting writing, or other reasons. Instead, with Miller's writings and storyboards virtually done already, he finally makes a GOOD movie. Lets hope this isn't simply a fluke for him.

Speaking of which, saw the trailer for Spike Lee's THE INSIDE MAN with Owen and Denzel Washington. Looks potentially nice.

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/17/06 04:17 PM

Well I'm glad you agree on Sin City Yeah I think I saw The Third Man trailer before King Kong and I remember it looking pretty good as well

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/23/06 01:47 AM

Updated with Cinderella Man.

Re: 2005: Best Films - 01/29/06 01:38 AM

Saw one of the most evocative, resonating masterpieces of the decade today. Malick's The New World is a beautiful film, contrasting two cultures (to which the title refers is deliberately unclear), and explores love, loss, memory and hope. In many ways it reminded me of The Magus, but there is a primitive, natural simpleness to this work which left me astonished. A phenomenal film which I cannot wait to see again, and think I will see it at the pics again, if I can.

See it, folks!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET