Home

"Walk The Line"

Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather

"Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 03:07 PM

"Walk The Line"

A True life story of Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash!
I was never a Johnny Cash fan, But after seeing this film i sure am now!

"Joaquin Phoenix" portrays Johnny Cash to perfection!
And can't say enough about the performance "Reese Witherspoon" gives as June Carter Cash, never seen her in a drama role before!

Two very convincing actors! My Hats Go Off To Them!
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 03:10 PM

Walk The Line (2005, Mangold) ****

The story of Johnny Cash. Re-tells the Man in Black's early life in Arkansas to the release of At Falsom Prison in 1968.

Amazing. That one word that can describe this film. Joaquin Phoenix gives an EXCELLENT performance as Johnny Cash. Reese Witherspoon? Is this the same Reese Witherspoon from those crap Legally Blonde movies? Hell
NO! She is also great as June Carter. Other supporting players are also wonderful. I also have to mention the cinematography, as it is wonderful here. Dark and gritty visuals, wonderful vibrant colors, and the MAN IN BLACK. It's all here. And of course, the freaking music. Excellent. Overrall, this is a great film.

Call me crazy, but if Joaquin Phoenix doesn't win an Oscar, or AT LEAST get nominated, I will be surprised.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 03:11 PM

One of the few C&W singers I liked. He just had a neat voice. I can't picture Joaquin Pheonix in the role, but by the brief previews and reviews, sounds like it's well done. Does this movie cover only is musical career, or his personal life, as far as drug use, jail time, etc.?

TIS

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 03:13 PM

Re-tells from his childhood in Arkansas to the release of At Folsom Prison in 1968.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 03:16 PM

Like TIS, JC was one of the few C&W singers I ever liked. Actually I hate C&W music except for Jonny Cash. TIS have you been reading my thoughts because I was going to say exactly the same thing about not quite seeing Joaquin as JC? But I'm eager to see this.

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 03:19 PM

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
Like TIS, JC was one of the few C&W singers I ever liked. Actually I hate C&W music except for Jonny Cash. TIS have you been reading my thoughts because I was going to say exactly the same thing about not quite seeing Joaquin as JC? But I'm eager to see this.
Yes Turi, I do mind reading on the side.

I'm with you on C&W music. I can't say I own any JC music (although I may have a 45 or two back in Michigan). I always laughed at "A Boy Named Sue". Remember that one? I also remember his music performed at Folsom Prison as being very popular at the time.

TIS

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
Walk The Line (2005, Mangold) ****

The story of Johnny Cash. Re-tells the Man in Black's early life in Arkansas to the release of At Falsom Prison in 1968.

Amazing. That one word that can describe this film. Joaquin Phoenix gives an EXCELLENT performance as Johnny Cash. Reese Witherspoon? Is this the same Reese Witherspoon from those crap Legally Blonde movies? Hell
NO! She is also great as June Carter. Other supporting players are also wonderful. I also have to mention the cinematography, as it is wonderful here. Dark and gritty visuals, wonderful vibrant colors, and the MAN IN BLACK. It's all here. And of course, the freaking music. Excellent. Overrall, this is a great film.

Call me crazy, but if Joaquin Phoenix doesn't win an Oscar, or AT LEAST get nominated, I will be surprised.
Yes, this is the same Reese Witherspoon from the legally blond crap movies
This film shows the talent she really has!

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
[quote]Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
[b] Like TIS, JC was one of the few C&W singers I ever liked. Actually I hate C&W music except for Jonny Cash. TIS have you been reading my thoughts because I was going to say exactly the same thing about not quite seeing Joaquin as JC? But I'm eager to see this.
Yes Turi, I do mind reading on the side.

I'm with you on C&W music. I can't say I own any JC music (although I may have a 45 or two back in Michigan). I always laughed at "A Boy Named Sue". Remember that one? I also remember his music performed at Folsom Prison as being very popular at the time.

TIS [/b][/quote]WOW---LOVE THE PICTURES! What a handsome guy this Joaquin Phoenix is!
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 04:31 PM

Movie fan A: Did you hear about that actress who was murdered? Reece...
Movie fan B: Witherspoon?
Movie fan A: No, with a knife!

Glad to see Phoenix is rolling in some weightier roles in now; I love him in Gladiator (2000).
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 06:02 PM

Great film. Better than Ray, but only by a hair.

Johnny Cash kicks ass. His best album is American IV: The Man Comes Around. Saw raw and filled with emotion.

The Doc
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
Have you listened to the entire Folsom Prison album? If so, how is it? I've only listened to Folsom Prison Blues and love it!

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 07:40 PM

At Folsom Prison blows everything else out of the water. The rawness of the sound and the live energy really gets it right. It's my second fav. of all his stuff. I really, really, suggest it.

Good Tracks:

~Folsom Prison Blues
~Busted
~I Still Miss Someone
~Cocaine Blues
~Give My Love to Rose

One of the best!

The Doc

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 07:49 PM

What's your favorite album of his?

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 08:35 PM

American IV: The Man Comes Around.

It's his last album made in 2002, right before he died. He made a video for one of the songs, Hurt(A fucking brilliant Trent Reznor cover), that was about his life and times. It's one of the best music videos I've ever seen. The songs sound very raw, along with his beat-up voice, but they are so great. The album has a lot of covers too, but some new ones and old covers of his own stuff. Definetly his best album because of the raw energy and honesty pumped into it by him.

The Doc
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 08:38 PM

WALK THE LINE - ***1/2 out of 5

A really good story that the film didn't depict was Cash's last few years, where after he was permanently exiled from Nashville, he made a comeback with the American Recordings label. Quite a tale of itself.

Really nice biopic from director James Mangold, who with his previous movies had shown quite a talent for getting the very best from his actors (COP LAND, etc.), and WALK THE LINE may very well be his best work yet.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/11/05 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:

It's his last album made in 2002, right before he died. He made a video for one of the songs, Hurt(A fucking brilliant Trent Reznor cover), that was about his life and times. It's one of the best music videos I've ever seen. The songs sound very raw, along with his beat-up voice, but they are so great. The album has a lot of covers too, but some new ones and old covers of his own stuff. Definetly his best album because of the raw energy and honesty pumped into it by him.

The Doc
I agree. I'm not a Nine Inch Nails fan, but I love that song, both the NIN and Cash versions.

I also love his cover of The Beatles' "In My Life." If it's one thing I heavily respect about him, it's his open-minded way of covering different songs, even if they aren't remotely in his genre, like "Hurt."

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/12/05 12:41 AM

I can't say that Cash has a genre. He has done so many of them. Rock and Roll, Country, Bluegrass, etc. The man is so talented in so many fields. To put your finger on Johnny Cash is to put your finger on a runaway train. The man is the best and genres can't hold him back.

The Doc

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/12/05 12:53 AM

Remember, Cash is like only one of THREE people to be in both the Country and Rock n Roll Hall of Fames. The others are Hank Williams and Elvis Presley.

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/12/05 01:12 AM

"Hurt" is such a great song, and Cash's sorrowful voice and his style of singing of that song really brought it home.

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/13/05 01:12 AM

SPOILER does anyone know the name of the song Johnny's playing on stage in Vegas when he collapses? END OF SPOILER

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/13/05 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b]SPOILER does anyone know the name of the song Johnny's playing on stage in Vegas when he collapses? END OF SPOILER [/b]
I forgot, but I think it might've been "Jackson", or "Ring of Fire."

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/13/05 01:38 AM

No it wasn't either of them because I know them. Actually, since this was my 2nd time watching this film, I think it was Cocaine Blues SPOILER because he was playing that at the end in Folsom prison and it sounded a little like it END OF SPOILER

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/13/05 01:40 AM

It could've been "Cocaine Blues", very well could've.

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/13/05 01:48 AM

No I don't think it was Cocaine Blues either because I just looked at the lyrics. The song I'm talking about has something about the days of the week. For example it says "On Monday something something something, on Tuesday something something something, etc" and something about having a striped shirt on and shackles on his feet
Posted By: Nice Guy Eddie

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/13/05 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b]SPOILER does anyone know the name of the song Johnny's playing on stage in Vegas when he collapses? END OF SPOILER [/b]
The song is called I Got Stripes.

The most kick ass picture ever:

Posted By: Nice Guy Eddie

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/13/05 07:32 AM

I Got Stripes:

On A Monday I Was Ar-rested (Uh Huh)
On A Tuesday They Locked Me In The Jail (Oh Boy)
On A Wednesday My Trial Was At-tested
On A Thursday They Said Guilty And The Judge's Gavel Fell

I Got Stripes --- Stripes Around My Shoulders
I Got Chains --- Chains Around My Feet
And Them Chains --- Them Chains They're About To Drag Me Down

On A Monday My Momma Come To See Me
On A Tuesday They Caught Me With A File
On A Wednesday I'm Down In Solitary
On A Thursday I Start On Bread And Water For A While

And Them Chains --- Them Chains They're About To Drag Me Down

And Them Chains --- Them Chains They're About To Drag Me

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/13/05 07:11 PM

Grazie Nice Guy Eddie!
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: "Walk The Line" - 12/14/05 02:31 AM

Great movie about a great performer! Saw it the second day it came out with a friend of mine who's a huge Johnny Cash fan.

Re: "Walk The Line" - 01/17/06 11:18 AM

It won 3 Golden Globes last night. Very well deserved. Reese is looking to take an Oscar home for WTL, too.

Re: "Walk The Line" - 01/17/06 02:32 PM

Yup, Reese is the front-runner...while Joaquin will be nominated, but his chances for victory for Best Actor are not strong, with Hoffman and Ledger leading the race right now.
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: "Walk The Line" - 01/17/06 06:45 PM

Reese Witherspoon as June Carter in I Walk the Line
Jessica Lange as Patsy Cline in Sweet Dreams
Sissy Spacek at Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner's Daughter (with Beverly D'Angelo as Patsy Cline!)

All EXCELLENT portrayals of women in country music. Who played their role better? Discuss...

tony b.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: "Walk The Line" - 01/18/06 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:

The Doc
I just bought this album and it's pretty damn good. Though there should be some warning on Hurt - Not to listen to it on the influence on drink or drugs. It becomes fucking intense.
Posted By: Debz

Re: "Walk The Line" - 02/19/06 11:00 PM

I went to see the movie on Friday, it was amazing I loved it!

Have you seen to video to his song "Hurt"?
I found it really emotional
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: "Walk The Line" - 02/19/06 11:06 PM

Saw it today. Really, really enjoyed it. Obviously made in the wake of Ray's success, though the inevitable comparison brings this out as the better film.

Re: "Walk The Line" - 02/19/06 11:35 PM

To date i have seen the excellent movie 5X - DVD will be out the end of the month!

Re: "Walk The Line" - 02/20/06 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debz:
I went to see the movie on Friday, it was amazing I loved it!

Have you seen to video to his song "Hurt"?
I found it really emotional
Hey Debz! Where have you been? How are you??
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET