Home

Film: Art or Escapisim?

Posted By: Mike Sullivan

Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 01:57 AM

I reaise this question on here because we've seemed to be getting into arguments and disagreements on what purpose film serves. Personally, I find entertainment in a fine film, so I don't need to make a distionction like other have to. However, I'd like folks to post here their opinions on this...
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 02:08 AM

My take on it is in the Scorsese thread.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 02:09 AM

Sometimes movies provide a wonderful escape. Look at all the musicals of the 1930 that provided people a way to forget the Depression. There are some movies that achieve great art, and others that provide entertainment, some do both, and some achieve none of the above!

I think that a movie like Ocean's 11 provide great entertainment, but I would not classify it as a great film. There are movies that I love that I would not classify as artistic genius, but that doesn't mean that I don't love them.

Does that answer your question?
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 02:45 AM

Film is quite an extraordinary thing. Along with being entertainment, it lets you forget about life for a while (like the Piano Man). I watch movies all the time and they make me feel good and distant. They keep me going and place new ideas in my mind. Film is definitely a good thing.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 03:00 AM

Good question. I guess generally I like films that keep my interest. Like SB said, some don't have to be blockbuster smashes, and they can still be entertaining.

As with tv, I find I am drawn more to drama/mystery/horror as opposed to comedy. Generally speaking, I've really never been a huge fan of war or western movies, but like with all film genres there are exceptions.

TIS

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 03:24 AM

Well, no doubt, film is an art form when done correctly. It tranceds the celluloid it was printed on and can truly affect your soul. Hoever, some folks wind up feeling that a movie really doesn't mean a goddamn thig, which really lead to this question.
Posted By: Lavinia from Italy

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 08:44 AM

Well, I adore cinema and even though I don't mind spending a couple of hours just for mere escapism, my ideal movie is basically art. Now, what does "art" mean? Yeah, the typical "one million dollar-question", right! To cut a long story short, I dare say art is the human activity which makes mankind more similar to God. In fact, in the artistic process, the artist is similar to God. Through his talent, he creates. And offers his creation to the world as a fruit of his soul, by which not only he expresses himself as an individual but also testifies the human condition. In fact, when we experience art we are touched to the core as if we are part of it. What does a Botticelli's Venere, a Mozart's sonata, a Shakespeare's sonet tell us? They not only display the huge amout of their authors' talent, they somehow offer themselves to us, to our comprehension, to our sympathy. It almost looks as if we are a required part of the artistic process. In our souls, as long as they are captured and moved by the piece of art displayed to us, the artistic process is completed to our enjoyment. By means of art we embetter ourselves. The same process applies to cinema. We can have a lot of Harry Potters (no offence to the numerous HP fans we have here ), but only one Godfather (or two :p ).

Hope this make any sense?
Posted By: Vito's Legacy

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 12:00 PM

All forms of story-telling are to provide escapism, to which every film does to varying degress of success. I suppose certain types of films could be classified to art, but this is stricly open to inerpretation by people, as art can mean different things. (For instance, Troma Entertainment refer to themselves as producing "independent art", and their best output are films like The Toxic Avenger and Surf Nazis Must Die). The films of Ed Wood are also seen as post-modern art by many of his fans, so that just begs the question, how do you classify art in terms of film?

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vito's Legacy:
so that just begs the question, how do you classify art in terms of film?
how many years are we given to discuss this? :p
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 12:13 PM

Whether the result is good or bad, film making is always an art, just like any other art form.

Whether or not the result is "entertaining" is a matter of personal preference, just as other art forms are.

There are painters and paintings that I enjoy, for example, and some that I hate, but it's all still art.

And as far as your original question is concerned, "art" and "escapism" are certainly not mutually exclusive. In fact, I don't think that the two terms are lumped together in a question fairly.

You could ask if films are art or not, or a form of escapism or not, but I don't see the comparison of how they have to be one or the other.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[quote]Originally posted by Vito's Legacy:
[b] so that just begs the question, how do you classify art in terms of film?
how many years are we given to discuss this? :p [/b][/quote]Lav, so right...this could go on forever.

The neat thing about "art" is that it is so fluid. Almost undefinable.

The film medium has become a very technical expression, but it still consists of a visual and auditory stimulus. There are so many parts to a film; storyline, acting, color, scenery, sound, etc. Appreciation for film is almost limitless.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 12:30 PM

Why can't art be entertaining?
Why isn't entertaining somebody an art?
Who said Film must tell a story? If you want a story, why not read a book?
If a film entertains you to the max, why can't you call it a great film, if its purpose was indeed to entertain?
If we watch a film to escape our lives, why do we complain when a film is far-fetched?
Why seek realism in a film when Film itself is a very artificial medium?
Why do critics tend to hold the 'serious' over the 'comic'?
If a film makes us laugh, can it still address serious issues and provoke debates?

As DJ Shadow's Influx says, "Just a few thoughts been running through my head."

Mick

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
If a film makes us laugh, can it still address serious issues and provoke debates?
Sure it can Mick, but it must be Chaplin's or Allen's.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 12:50 PM

Quote:
Why can't art be entertaining?
And who said it can't? For someone to refer to a film is an art, must mean they deeply appreciate it, and hence, it very much entertained them.

Quote:
Why isn't entertaining somebody an art?
Of course it is -- be it comedian, ballet, volleyball, i.e. being successful at is another thing, depending of whether you're good or not.

Quote:
Who said Film must tell a story? If you want a story, why not read a book??
Uh... here we differ. All films must tell some sort of narrative (i.e. story), then it ain't a film, be it tedious and sometimes incomprehensible (Donnie Darko) or pretty straight forward (Lethal Weapon)!

Quote:
If a film entertains you to the max, why can't you call it a great film, if its purpose was indeed to entertain?
Absoloutly, it my mind, the original Terminator, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre,Superman: The Movie and Aliens are great films - sure, others will say otherwise.

More later Mick, what you say is very interesting!

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 05:34 PM

Quote:
If we watch a film to escape our lives, why do we complain when a film is far-fetched?
Well this is where personal taste comes in. A hardcore action fan may not see a problem with the ridiculous xXx movies, but would probably be totally turned off by The Matrix trilogy, with it's various sci-fi ideas. And yet regarding the later, there are those who feel it's a stunning example of film-making, and contains deep philosphical ideas. Others might say it's all pretentious rubbish. ... again, personal taste.

Quote:
Why seek realism in a film when Film itself is a very artificial medium?
This is a moot point, because what you've just asked is the central idea of escapism, to suspend disbelief in a "very artificial medium".

Quote:
Why do critics tend to hold the 'serious' over the 'comic'?
Because the majority of them, or rather, the most well-known and recognised come across as stuffy, self-important individuals who merely wax lryically about the same films every year, and praise the same films as classics. (Example: Dracula, the Bela Lugosi version, is a cheaply made and sometimes tacky film - I refer to in terms of how it's made, not how good the film is itself - and yet it's recongised as a classic. Now, Friday the 13th has production values that can be dismissed as cheaply made and tacky, and yet it's universally derided by most 'serious' film fans).

Quote:
Do you mean if the film is a comedy? But again, here's personal taste coming in, what makes someone laugh, does it have to be a comedy film? For instance, I think Vincent bitting off Joey Zasa's ear in Part III is hilarious - others, perhaps more sensitive types, would be horrified by such an action, (in real life no doubt! But I mean in the film itself). And yet, even though it made me laugh, yes Part III does address serious issues.

Lost In Translation is funny, but also, I feel, works as a subtle commentary on inter-personal relationships in marriage and loneliness.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 06:14 PM

I find film to be entertainment first and foremost but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy some of the things that a movie has to offer. Movies such as Raging Bull, JFK, Man On Fire I can watch those and really enjoy the editing/directing of the movies because I don't see that in most of the movies I see. For me, if something stands out then I'll say "hey that's nice" or something like that. But I don't go into a movie looking to rip it apart piece by piece.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
But I don't go into a movie looking to rip it apart piece by piece.
Exactly, how can one enjoy a film, be it a dumb action movie or a sophisticated war-time drama, then? I think too many people like to think of themselves as a film critic sometimes. I mean, it's different if you are a film critic - that's your job, but it's not that of the average movie-goer.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 06:58 PM

In rating films, I do that although I think "ripping" apart is a negative way of putting it.

I'm not gonna say "Hey man, Top Gun was great! ****!" I give good ratings to films that deserve it, entertainment is a different story, and rating a film by entertainment would be a flawed way of rating a film. Hell, that would mean giving more **** then Roger Ebert.

Everything began as entertainment. Painting, music, cinema. It all began as that, but it became art within time. And if you rate films just for entertainment, then what happens when you watch a film that's more extreme in art? Or what about old comedies that have jokes that may be too old for you? "IT WUZ BORIN!"

I rate Duck Soup ****, because it's one of the greatest comedies ever. It doesn't make me laugh out loud as much as more modern comedies do, but I'm not close-minded enough to say "IT SUKED." I appreciate it for it's time. My Best Ever list is based on cinema as an art form, entertainment is for the most part, a weak rating experience that I save for my FAVORITES.

If I'm watching a "dumb action flick" chances are it's a shitty movie, if that's the description.

Man on Fire entertained me a LOT, however I'm not gonna say it's great, because it's a horribly made film filled with Hollywood cliches.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
I'm not gonna say "Hey man, Top Gun was great! ****!" I give good ratings to films that deserve it, entertainment is a different story, and rating a film by entertainment would be a flawed way of rating a film.
Very interesting, and true too! I mean, I thought Donnie Darko was well-directed and acted, but beyond that I thought the storyline was a mess and it's ideas a load of pretentious rubbish. But even though it didn't particularly entertain me, would I tell people it's worth a look? Yes.

And when you say films that 'deserve it', again that's a personal preference, be it Top Gun or Singin' In The Rain. Ah, the brillance of watching films and discussing them with people - of which these boards are a sterling example! Please don't think I'm trying to put the average film-goer down who use a rating system when they're recommending a film - what does not work for me, may work for others - I just possess a dislike for many of the 'famous' film critics, and people who just imitate what they say when talking about films.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 07:46 PM

Yeah. Irish said "Ripping apart films" and from that I think my review of Raging Bull is a good example. I comment on the sound, acting, lighting, camera movements, all of that because that is what makes it great. What I did in that review is an expanded version of what most people do. "It's a great direction!" Why is it great? I tell people when I "rip" movies apart.

As for critics, I don't like a lot. JoBlo.com is one of the worst critics I ever saw. Ebert has his moments of good reviews, but his ridiculous ones as well, like his review of Dead Man with poor criticism, and his overuse of **** ratings in films like Spider Man 2 or other films.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 08:29 PM

The technical term for critically "ripping apart" is deconstruction. The same applies to poetry. And even paintings. Just as the director has constructed this piece, so we as an audience must deconstruct it, in order to find things that the director intended--and didn't intend.

We all deconstruct to a certain extent. Some films beg deep critical analysis. Look at any traditional Scandinavian film for an ambiguous film provoking diverse interpretations. The truth is, Hollywood has always been a financial business over an artistic one. It has target audiences, which is why we end up with so many generic "romantic comedies" and other genre films, adhering to what has already gone and has been achieved, and not what can be achieved. So, with that in mind, I can see why Hollywood productions (and that includes "Hollywoodized" non-Hollywood films) don't beg much deconstruction. Because, a lot of the time, what you see is what you get, and there is nothing else to be found upon a rewatch.

As a personal preference, the most rewarding films for me are the ones which you can go back to and watch again and see the same film which offers different things from the last viewing. Just like the most profound, most memorable poetry, is that which you can go back to and deconstruct again and again and find new things each time you watch them. With a film like Man On Fire (2004), I can't see that happening. You watch it, you enjoy it, you watch it again, enjoy it again, but the viewing doesn't evolve, doesn't provoke any further thought or emotion. Same thing with Scarface (1983).

To me, art is entertainment. If it doesn't entertain me, I don't like it. Irréversible (2002), one of the best films this decade, is possibly the most violent film I've seen, but it entertained me. I didn't smile at it or feel happiness from it; in fact, it repulses me and fascinates me at the same time. But in fascinating me, in inducing some kind of emotional attachment in me to it, it is entertaining my brain cells. On the other hand, Scarface (1983) is a film I've watched three times now, and with each viewing it seemed more gratuitous, arbitrary, repetitive and inconsistently paced; it didn't entertain me. But it's still art.

In that sense, I fully agree with Plaw; that art and escapism are "not mutually exclusive".

If we didn't deconstruct films, then we wouldn't have separate lists of films we like and didn't like. We wouldn't be able to react to a film in any subjective, emotional sense, neither positively nor negatively. And another thing: I don't watch a film to escape my life, but a good film certainly transports me into another world.

In short, the best art is that which entertains; be it entertain my eyes, ears, mind, or satisfies my want to escape by capturing my whole attention and make me unintentionally forget the world outside of a film. And, to elaborate further, the best art does all of those.

The varied responses to this great topic have been intriguing to read, and each have been digested fully in my pondering brain, which is striving to make some coherent sense of the excellent opening question.

Thanks for reading; and discussing,
Mick

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 08:55 PM

Quote:
The technical term for critically "ripping apart" is [b]deconstruction.[/b]
EXCELLENT defintion.

Quote:

The same applies to poetry. And even paintings. Just as the director has constructed this piece, so we as an audience must [b]deconstruct it, in order to find things that the director intended--and didn't intend. [/b]
(Somewhere, at a random American cinema in late May 1977) "And the stormtrooper banged his head on the Death Star door because?"

Quote:

As a personal preference, the most rewarding films for me are the ones which you can go back to and watch again and see the same film which offers different things from the last viewing.
"As a personal preference, the most rewarding films for me are the ones" are the ones which, through the strength and beauty of their narrative construction, manage to pull you into their world successfully (through 'escapsim' ) and make you genuinely feel for the characters, (be it love them, hate them, terrified of them, or pity them), and the situations they finds themselves in.

Quote:

You watch it, you enjoy it, you watch it again, enjoy it again, but the viewing doesn't evolve, doesn't provoke any further thought or emotion. Same thing with Scarface (1983).
I suppose here is where we discuss an individaul film and differ, but I do feel Scarface succeeds to a degree as a intriguing (and certainly entertaining) observation of the trials of an immigrant and is epic in scope, bolstered by an assured direction and a rousing preformance by Pacino.

Quote:

To me, art is entertainment. If it doesn't entertain me, I don't like it. ...But it's still art.
EXACTLY! That's personal preference! I do think Plan 9 From Outer Space is a very low budget film of certain merit, and my friends dismiss it as utter crap.

Quote:

In that sense, I fully agree with Plaw; that art and escapism are "not mutually exclusive".
It is an interesting idea...!

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 10:06 PM

Quote:
What I did in that review is an expanded version of what most people do. "It's a great direction!" Why is it great? I tell people when I "rip" movies apart.
Not all of us know the "movie lingo" of what this shot is called or that shot is called. I can sit back and say "oh I liked the way Marty zoomed in or panned around" or something, but some (at least here on this boards other than myself I'm sure) can apprecaite aspects of the movies but may not be able to describe why we like it. Again, not all of us here on this board are trying to win "Review of the week"

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 10:10 PM

Quote:
Again, not all of us here on this board are trying to win "Review of the week"
Nor is anyone else.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 10:17 PM

Right but there are some here who are like why didn't you like this or why didn't you like that? What is this 60 minutes? If you're that interested in a movie, watch it for yourself and form your opinion. My reviews aren't even in the same league as Capo's, Don Vercetti's, or ronnierocket's. I don't want nor do I expect them to. If people don't like the way members discuss their movies, then they should cease reading their responses

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/12/05 11:58 PM

Quote:
Right but there are some here who are like why didn't you like this or why didn't you like that? What is this 60 minutes?
Well when films generally considered great pieces of art or old classics as classified as boring or stupid, people usually want to know why, if there's any worthy reason aside personal taste. It's one thing to say "I didn't care for this, although it was a very well made film." and "It was stupid." Lawrence of Arabia is a film that did get boring at several points as far as my entertainment goes. It was a long film with a plot that I didn't care for as far as history goes, but I rate it ****, because it is one of the greatest epics ever made. Think about it, if I rated films based on entertainment of all things, then Goldeneye would be better then Lawrence of Arabia. I'll relate to this point with another art form, music. What if someone came on here and said that The Beatles sucked and their music was a bore? A band generally considered one of the greats being called stupid or boring by someone who has different musical tastes. An example is that I don't care for Green Day's music, but I have a lot of respect for them, because they are a great band. Sure if you said tomorrow that Citizen Kane was a stupid, pointless film then you'd get jumped on, and you tell us it's your opinion. If someone did the same to something you liked, you'd jump on them.

Quote:
Again, not all of us here on this board are trying to win "Review of the week"
I wasn't aware writing reviews was a competition. At the Movie Boards it's common for members to write reviews (although it’s in a drought at the moment). We post them here too because we'd like to hear other opinions.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 12:36 AM

Quote:
...some (at least here on this boards other than myself I'm sure) can apprecaite aspects of the movies but may not be able to describe why we like it. Again, not all of us here on this board are trying to win "Review of the week"
No-one who's seen a movie has to be in the 'in-the-know' for all the technical terms and what not to describe why they like a film. If that was ever the case, you wouldn't see a lot of movies being released. Some people could say they like a film, and then mention one particular actor was good and leave it at that, and that's okay. And then others like to mention all the technical and artistic aspects they like or dislike using commen film-making terms, and judge it on it's own merits rather then their personal opinion, and then slap a three or four star rating on it and that's okay too. Much like how we've been discussing what other people think what art is in terms of film, it comes down to personal preference.

And as such, no-one can say either review method is better then the other, 'cause they're different, and they are both used by different people because it's what they are most comfortable with, find easiest or even enjoy. Personally, for me, as someone who seriously wants to get involved in film-making - having read so much and seen so much - I think it's impossible, and slightly ridiculous, to take a product of the very complex method of film-making and then put merely 3 stars or 4 stars on it, and find a way to fit it into 'My Favourite Movies' list. When it comes to me recommending films, it's firstly my personal tastes and what I enjoy most that comes to mind when I talk to people, be it Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors or On the Waterfront, (which I've just watched). ... but that's my personal preference, and because I love the film medium so much and the debate it inspires, I'd never begrude anyone as to how they talk about it.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 12:37 AM

Quote:
[QUOTE]We post them here too because we'd like to hear other opinions.
And please keep doing so!

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vito's Legacy:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] [QUOTE]We post them here too because we'd like to hear other opinions.
And please keep doing so! [/b][/quote]Ahead of you. I have half a review for Elephant done, which will be my first in a while.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 12:47 AM

Quote:
[QUOTE] What if someone came on here and said that The Beatles sucked and their music was a bore? A band generally considered one of the greats being called stupid or boring by someone who has different musical tastes.
Ah, but the majority isn't always right. And I understand taht writing reviews isn't a competition. Just read what others post and if you don't like the way they review, don't read in the future. Capo doesn't seem to make a fuss about the way people post usually

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 12:54 AM

You missed my point, you would do the same. And to be honest, I do discard some opinions. I've read posts from several people who like Scorsese mostly for Goodfellas say that Mean Streets was a boring movie with no plot. When someone says that, of course I'm gonna challenge why, which I believe Capo has also done in the past. If that's all the person can say on the movie without any real reasons, then I generally don't even bother with it. Capo dislikes a lot of movies I think are great, such as Fight Club, but I respect his opinion because he validates it with respectable points.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 12:58 AM

Amen DV.

Trust me, I rather have someone hate a movie that I dig but back up their negative reviews with valid critical points, then someone to concur with me in liking a certain movie but then give almost ZERO valid serious reasons why, save for "It Rockz" or whatever IMDB-esque posting dreck.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 12:58 AM

Quote:
You missed my point, you would do the same. And to be honest, I do discard some opinions. I've read posts from several people who like Scorsese mostly for Goodfellas say that Mean Streets was a boring movie with no plot. When someone says that, of course I'm gonna challenge why, which I believe Capo has also done in the past. If that's all the person can say on the movie without any real reasons, then I generally don't even bother with it. Capo dislikes a lot of movies I think are great, such as Fight Club, but I respect his opinion because he validates it with respectable points.
I can understand when some say they don't like a movie and you wonder why (I'd do the same). But when I posted that I thought Mean Streets was boring, that's really all I could remember from it. It's been well over a year or so since I've seen that movie and when I posted that comment it had been a VERY long time since I'd seen it (and I've only seen it once) so I didn't have a lot to work with.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:00 AM

But again Irishman, like your review of FANTASTIC FOUR, a horrible mediocre-as-boiling-water-hell movie(*1/2 out of 5), you don't give a reason why MEAN STREETS is "boring".

Oh and please, none of that Michael Bay-Defense I've seen you give on some movies, you know...."Its Entertaining!"

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
But again Irishman, like your review of FANTASTIC FOUR, a horrible mediocre-as-boiling-water-hell movie(*1/2 out of 5), you don't give a reason why MEAN STREETS is "boring".

Oh and please, none of that Michael Bay-Defense I've seen you give on some movies, you know...."Its Entertaining!"
Not a Michael Bay fan but I do enjoy some of his movies first of all. And as I just stated above, it had been probably a year since I saw the movie and when I said it was boring. That's all I really remember from it except I didn't think it was nearly as well directed or edited as say Raging Bull or Goodfellas. If you're implying that I should watch the movie again to "validate" my opinion, guess again. I have no desire to see it right now (sometime down the way though probably) but I've got so much crap to watch it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down on the list

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:04 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] You missed my point, you would do the same. And to be honest, I do discard some opinions. I've read posts from several people who like Scorsese mostly for Goodfellas say that Mean Streets was a boring movie with no plot. When someone says that, of course I'm gonna challenge why, which I believe Capo has also done in the past. If that's all the person can say on the movie without any real reasons, then I generally don't even bother with it. Capo dislikes a lot of movies I think are great, such as Fight Club, but I respect his opinion because he validates it with respectable points.
I can understand when some say they don't like a movie and you wonder why (I'd do the same). But when I posted that I thought Mean Streets was boring, that's really all I could remember from it. It's been well over a year or so since I've seen that movie and when I posted that comment it had been a VERY long time since I'd seen it (and I've only seen it once) so I didn't have a lot to work with. [/b][/quote]Well, cool then. However do you realize what I'm talking about? You'd jump on someone too if they did the same. Picture someone saying "Scarface was the gayest movie ever." What would you do? You, like many others would reply..... intensely. :p

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:06 AM

I've heard some say Carlito's Way is better than Scarface. I don't agree with it and may ask them why and what they didn't like about Scarface but that's his/her own personal opinion and I respect it (no matter how much I disagree with it because there are entitled to feel that way)

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:11 AM

Meh, Carlito's Way was close to being better then SF. The plot and character was better. The problem was, both DePalma and Pacino didn't give that project the push they gave Scarface. Pacino pulled off better acting in the earlier film, and DePalma directed it better, which is why I rate it higher then CW.
Posted By: The Dr. who fixed Lucy

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:23 AM

Film = escapism.

Who can look at art for 150 mins straight?

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:24 AM

Umm, BARRY LYNDON?

Whatever.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
Someone who doesn't have ADD or a closed mind. :rolleyes: Two hours and 30 mintues is nothing.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:27 AM

Quote:
Film = escapism.

Hmm, you are on The Godfather boards... :rolleyes:

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:31 AM

Another thing I should mention. I do watch films to escape everyday life, among other things. However, that's irrelevant to rating films.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:35 AM

I concur again DV.

Oh and Irishman...

"I've heard some say Carlito's Way is better than Scarface. I don't agree with it and may ask them why and what they didn't like about Scarface but that's his/her own personal opinion and I respect it (no matter how much I disagree with it because there are entitled to feel that way)"

Just wondering, you read my CARLITO'S WAY review for RRA'S VIDEO BIN REVIEW? I discussed partially what I liked about WAY compared to SCARFACE. However, I'll go deeper whenever I review SCARFACE.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:40 AM

Artistic appreciation requires a degree of active criticism and interprtation, whereas escapism via an artisitc work allows passive appreciation and enjoyment derived through association with the characters or the storyline, a suspension of belief and a mild disassociation from the "real" world.

When watching the GF films, or indeed any other, the most enjoyment in my opinion comes from losing oneself in the world of the Corleones (or whomever are the protagonists) - escapism. Many movies certainly are works of art in the loose sense that they are gainful and enjoyable vehicles for escapism.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:42 AM

But escapism is irrelevant to GRADING movies. I was taken up in the world of Eraser, but it was one of the worst of the 90's.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:50 AM

Well has anyone considered that the whole business of GRADING movies as you put it is a sorry one? There's nothing worse than a "Top Ten" list of movies, nor more tedious than people who rate moves in terms of a percentage score or an A-F rating.

The quality of films are incommensurate and cannot be measured as 5 out of 10, or 72%, or B+ or whatever. One of the most inane questions to be asked is "What is the best film / your favourite film of all time". Only a person who had seen very few films could answer that question decisively. Anyone who has seen a good number of movies will appreciate that there is no single best film (either objectively or subjectively).

The answer to the art / escapism dichotomy lies in discovering the predominant reason for sitting in front of a screen for 150, 200 or however many minutes. I would venture that, while there are moments of genuine artistic class, the general part of a film is enjoyed through escapism and not through artisitc appreciation.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:54 AM

So THAT is why you didn't post in my Top 100 Movie lists for 80's and 90s....figures!

Anyway, lists are lists. They usually don't bother me, and I discard MANY of them. However, the only list that matters to me are the ones I compose for whatever occasion.

Oh and my rating for this topic so far...**/5.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 01:56 AM

No, it can be. Sure it's ridiculous to have a 66% scale or Yahoo's shitty ABC scale, but a simple four star scale is not tedious at all. It's not hard to consider a film a *** or **** film. Good or excellent. That's simplifying how good you think it is. Reviews is where the real appreciation is, because that opening describes the film and why it's great. A rating is nothing more then a stance on how good you think a movie is.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 02:28 AM

Yeah well after I finish watching a movie, I don't even think about pulling out the *** or ****s, or reaching for my red marking pen. I just as one question: did I enjoy it? Was it a film I would watch again, or recommend to my friends? Would I recommend it as a wise investment of x number of hours of my life? Like the emperors of Rome, I prefer the simplicity of a "thumbs-up" or "thumbs-down" approach - I liked it or I didn't.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 02:37 AM

Well you have your way and I have mine.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 02:39 AM

I'll get my coat.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 02:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah well after I finish watching a movie, I don't even think about pulling out the *** or ****s, or reaching for my red marking pen. I just as one question: did I enjoy it? Was it a film I would watch again, or recommend to my friends? Would I recommend it as a wise investment of x number of hours of my life? Like the emperors of Rome, I prefer the simplicity of a "thumbs-up" or "thumbs-down" approach - I liked it or I didn't.
My friend, you are an idiot. We pull out the pen and hack away at a film to see if it's worth to be recommended. That's our method. We take into account the things that matter, not just "Do I feel good after seeing it?", etc.

Just saying "I liked it" or "I didn't" isn't fair to the film, and it's not wise to go arround recomending films in that manner nor doing that overall in life. You need to take into account the Possitive and the negative.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 02:45 AM

Quote:
Mike sullivan
You need to take into account the Possitive and the negative
I do. The positive gets a thumbs up, the negative a thumbs down. What could be simpler. It's popular entertainment, not something that requires analytical or scientific precision.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 02:55 AM

Quote:
[quote]Mike sullivan
[b]You need to take into account the Possitive and the negative
I do. The positive gets a thumbs up, the negative a thumbs down. What could be simpler. It's popular entertainment, not something that requires analytical or scientific precision. [/b][/quote]Why not analyse it though? If someone can try and analysie the works of some Spanish dude by the name of Dali, why not look at a film by the name of "The Godfather"? Or surely you wouldn't be here unless you wanted to discuss this more. Well that's what we do with other movies.

What makes the film tick? Why DID I like it? Why just mearly dismis the film so quickly?

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 03:00 AM

Quote:
Meh, Carlito's Way was close to being better then SF. The plot and character was better. The problem was, both DePalma and Pacino didn't give that project the push they gave Scarface. Pacino pulled off better acting in the earlier film, and DePalma directed it better, which is why I rate it higher then CW.
IMO Scarface is Pacino's best role. I can't even begin to imagine how many times I've seen this movie but I still have a hard time believe that is indeed Al Pacino on screen (Mr. Michael Corleone himself) because he was so real and authentic.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
I concur again DV.

Oh and Irishman...

"I've heard some say Carlito's Way is better than Scarface. I don't agree with it and may ask them why and what they didn't like about Scarface but that's his/her own personal opinion and I respect it (no matter how much I disagree with it because there are entitled to feel that way)"

Just wondering, you read my CARLITO'S WAY review for RRA'S VIDEO BIN REVIEW? I discussed partially what I liked about WAY compared to SCARFACE. However, I'll go deeper whenever I review SCARFACE.
No I haven't read it. No offense but your reviews are a little long (not that that's a bad thing) and I'm usually doing other stuff while I'm online (such as keeping up with this BB games)

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 10:42 AM

Quote:
Many movies certainly are works of art in the loose sense that they are gainful and enjoyable vehicles for escapism.
But previously you just said, and I quote 'Films = Escpaism', and now you are saying many films are art, and escapism also? If your intention is to disagree, you need to be a little more clear.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 10:46 AM

Quote:
I would venture that, while there are moments of genuine artistic class, the general part of a film is enjoyed through escapism and not through artisitc appreciation.
But that, and I'm sure everyone is understandably sick of hearing of me say this, is personal preference. Neither of the way you and Vercetti review of films is wrong, there's no official way of watching, enjoying and making an opinion on films. You and me might not appreciate the appeal of a personal favourites list or star ratings, but these guys do and it seems to enrich their film viewing experience. And one should be thankful for the thoughtful debates their reviews inspire.
Posted By: suspect_5

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 12:01 PM

That is what is great about film it is all things to all different people. It is anything you want it to be. You want to escape it can take you away. You want to feel, it can touch any emotion. You want to learn, it can teach you. You want to see, it can show you. You can argue all you want and no one will ever be wrong because film is as much the person watching as it is the person making. You can look at Birth of a Nation and see “man they were really racist back then” or you can see the birth of modern editing. You can look at Man on Fire and see clichéd filmmaking or you can see a tremendous use of style in editing and musical score. But no matter which way you look at it War of the Worlds still had a crappy ending.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 12:16 PM

Quote:
Sure it's ridiculous to have a 66% scale or Yahoo's shitty ABC scale
Crap I include both, my reviews must really suck

Yes I give movies a percentage score AND a letter grade, not only that but I *gasp rate on entertainment/merit . I know but it is stupid and inane to rate on how I feel about a film’s entertainment value, it is sooooo subjective, well so is a four star system – it is all subjective to what we think is important.
I have watched a lot of movies, more than the average American. I have taken classes in production and appreciation. I know that some movies are better constructed than others, I mean even I won’t argue a Man on Fire over a Birth of a Nation but I rate how I do because not everyone is like me. (or Don V/Capo/Ronnie or any number of other board members) When I was watching Million Dollar Baby with my family and there were those excellent shots of the gym in darkness, I commented on how beautiful the shots were with the harsh shafts of light and they just looked and me like “shut up”.
I’m not saying that well constructed films can’t be entertaining but still yet Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould is not for everyone. Just like some people refuse to “read” a movie (I’m talking literally Capo, I know you “read” film but I’m talking subtitles here) some people just want to see something. I rate how I do because when a friend or friend of a friend asks “Hey what is good in the theater or DVD” I give them an answer I think is suitable to them, sure I’ll still try to throw out a well constructed film but I also give them the latest Ice Cube film because that is what they want to see.
Don V, Capo, and Ronnie rate on historical merit and that is fine with me, I read their reviews and thoughts and I actually like them, I like to read a hardcore somewhat pretentious opinion because I like to watch films for their construction too. But to me the guy down the street doesn’t care about tracking shots or canted angles, he wants to know if there are tits in it or if the fight scenes are that Wire-fu stuff. I’m a critic for that guy.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 04:31 PM

I don't review movies just for historical merit. What historical merit does Collateral have? It just came out and it's still a great movie.

Anyway, the reason I dislike a 70%-ish scale is that it's too much for me at least. If I use a scale like that I feel reduced to turning cinema into a math equation. When I first began rating with a /10 scale, I rated some movies 6.9/10 and I realized how stupid it was for me, so I just did 7/10 and 7.5/10, then I soon went to **** scales. As for ABC, I have no problem with it, but Yahoo's is horrible.

B+ = Memorable
A- = Almost Perfect
A = Outstanding

What the hell? Kind of a big leap. And A+ is "Oscar worthy" which to me is a bad rating description. If anything I'd switch A and A+'s descriptions. However, Yahoo is good in organizing a Top 100 list, among other things.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 07:04 PM

A word or two on my personal rating system. I rate films from zero to four stars. I don't use half stars, because to me it makes things unnecessarily complicated, and, as Don V stated about the percentage system, makes filmwatching oddly mathematical.

My system is as follows (with examples, I've tried to choose one from each decade when possible)...

Four stars marks a film of outstanding and lasting quality, a milestone in cinema history, remarkable for such aspects as direction, writing, acting, cinematography or some other aspect of filmmaking technique.
Examples: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919), Battleship Potemkin (1925), Duck Soup (1933), Double Indemnity (1944), Vertigo (1958), Weekend (1968), Taxi Driver (1976), A Short Film About Killing (1988), American Beauty (1999), Gladiator (2000).

Three stars indicates a film of excellent quality, but cannot be given four stars due to a lack of cinematic importance, or the film is simply too much of an acquired taste to be classed as a wide-appealing masterpiece; or, on the other hand, a film worth seeing only for historical reasons. It can also be interpreted that three stars indicate three strong, unrelated reasons for admiring a film.
Examples: Easy Street (1917), Bringing Up Baby (1938), Laura (1944), All That Heaven Allows (1955), Goldfinger (1964), Medium Cool (1969), Eraserhead (1976), Full Metal Jacket (1987), The Shawshank Redemption (1994), Batman Begins (2005).

Two stars is a generally entertaining or engrossing film of high production values; perhaps an underrated small feature or an overrated classic, or even a provocative film deemed too gratuitously controversial or limited in its audience appeal.
Examples: The Floorwalker (1916), Un Chien Andalou (1928), Chickens Come Home (1932), It's a Wonderful Life (1946), Limelight (1952), Lolita (1962), New York, New York (1977), Paris, Texas (1984), Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999), Snatch (2000).

A one star film marks either a watchable second feature or a disappointing film which should have been better, if it was to be made in the first place.
Examples: Midnight Patol (1933), Deux Hommes dans Manhattan (1958), Peeping Tom (1960), Live and Let Die (1973), Made in Britain (1982), Fight Club (1999), Mystic River (2003).

No stars indicate a totally routine production or worse: they may be watchable, but no merit is to be found in doing so, and are at least equally missable.
Examples: Police (1916), Midnight (1934), Pollyanna (1960), Soldier Blue (1970), Annie (1982), Armaggedon (1998), The Butterfly Effect (2004).

Why do I rate films? Well, a friend of mine, who's been watching films for many years, rates them by colour, for personal preference, in his film log: red for his favourites, green for watchable, average films, and blue for stinkers. A very simplistic system, but one which brings personal preference into it more than anything.

I only rate films as a means of recommending them to other people. As long as they know what I mean by the stars, and not what they assume them to mean, it's an effective system. But in all honesty, I prefer the actual review of the film more than any amount of stars. That's why, in the reviews I write and post, you don't find any star ratings in them. Just like Time Out and Sight & Sound's reviews, which are the best you can read in terms of critical analysis. If I wrote a review on every single film I've ever seen, I'd do away with stars. But until then, this is the only way of keeping personal track of what films to watch and not to watch.

Thanks for reading,
Mick

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 07:33 PM

"No I haven't read it. No offense but your reviews are a little long"

Wow, for a man that posts alot(especially that giganticly-long YANKEES thread)....this is so rich.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 08:07 PM

Yeah but my posts aren't half a thread page. They're usually just a line and not long to read

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 08:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah but my posts aren't half a thread page. They're usually just a line and not long to read
x3000 over 1-2 weeks... :p

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 08:49 PM

Now another question, what do you consider the films of Uwe Boll? What do you call a film that is neither art nor escapism ? Well I guess you could consider it art if you consider the torture an art. Or you could consider it escapism if you consider it actually gives you a sence of escaping something when you walk away from it...

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/13/05 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] Yeah but my posts aren't half a thread page. They're usually just a line and not long to read
x3000 over 1-2 weeks... [/b][/quote] That's your own choice if you choose to read them all

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 12:50 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] Yeah but my posts aren't half a thread page. They're usually just a line and not long to read
x3000 over 1-2 weeks... [/b][/quote] That's your own choice if you choose to read them all [/b][/quote]It wouldn't be as much a problem as long as you'd try to put more quality into some of them.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
[b]
quote:
x3000 over 1-2 weeks... [/b][/quote] That's your own choice if you choose to read them all [/b][/quote]It wouldn't be as much a problem as long as you'd try to put more quality into some of them.
Any ideas? I mean, how much quality can you put in a game designed to guess the capital of a state/country?

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 01:04 AM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b]
quote:
Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
quote:
Any ideas? I mean, how much quality can you put in a game designed to guess the capital of a state/country?

What's the quality in even playing that game?

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 01:10 AM

Bah, the worst in the game section is the music thread. no one pays attention to what others listen to. They just post there over and over to promote their favorites. :p

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 01:31 AM

Well it just proves my point, how much quality can you put in the games thread? I didn't know quality was such a big part of Mike's life

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 01:36 AM

I'm not talking about that. I don't have a problem with games, but the music thread is kind of pointless. It's on every forum I've been at minus the MB, and no one does anything other then posting songs that they probably weren't even listening to.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by suspect_5:
Now another question, what do you consider the films of Uwe Boll? What do you call a film that is neither art nor escapism ? Well I guess you could consider it art if you consider the torture an art. Or you could consider it escapism if you consider it actually gives you a sence of escaping something when you walk away from it...
I would consider Boll's films to be CRAP.

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 04:34 AM

Quote:
Well it just proves my point, how much quality can you put in the games thread? I didn't know quality was such a big part of Mike's life
It should be a big part of your life too... Or do you just like shit?

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 02:11 PM

Some sh*t is ok, but not all sh*t. But again I asked for suggesstions on how to make the BB Word Game posts more "quality" like? In the Name That Actor thread or the Screenshot Thread, all you're doing is guessing the name of the movie/actor and posting a new one. Again, how much quality can you put in it?

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 05:15 PM

Good quality or bad quality?

Anyway, this thread is serving little purpose now, other than to debate something which wasn't in the original art vs. escapism subject.

Mick

Re: Film: Art or Escapisim? - 08/14/05 06:49 PM

I agree Capo, we're getting off the subject. I think basically it just depends on the person watching the movie and we're all not going to convince each other otherwise
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET