Home

Devil's Advocate, What was he?

Posted By: scarfacelondon

Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/25/05 11:16 AM

My friend and me were arguing what was Pacino in Devil's Advocate?

My friends explanation:

"He wasn't the Devil, he was the guardian angel who wanted Kevin (Keanu Reeves) to do the right thing and quit the little girl case. Pacino (guardian angel) wanted to show him that if he chooses the wrong path , bad things will happen to him".

My explanation:
He was the Devil because in the end he said "Insanity is my favourite sin", if he was the guardian angel he wouldn't have said that.

What do you think, who is right? or if you have different explanation, you are welcome to explain.
Posted By: Krlea

Re: Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/25/05 12:10 PM

He's definetly the devil. Remember how he makes Charlize (the wife) see things and go crazy? In the begining of the movie when Keanu gets the child molester off, Pacino sees him as a perfect addition to his team, because he knew Keanu would do anything (including getting a child molester he knew was guilty off) to win.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/25/05 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scarfacelondon:
He was the Devil because in the end he said "Insanity is my favourite sin", if he was the guardian angel he wouldn't have said that.
He was the Devil all right but what he said was: "Vanity is definitely my favorite sin".

He gets everyone's best when they do things in vain. Even after Kevin supposedly saw everything and didn't represent that child molester, he talked him into doing a TV report on how he is a great person for doing so, which still falls in the category of vain.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/25/05 06:14 PM

He was a combination of
1)Personification of the evil within humans
[Also that of the external temptations on humans].
2)Satan referred to in bible.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/25/05 06:47 PM

He was the Devil and there are all kinds of great clues in that movie. One is that he always wears cuban style boot heels (to hide his cloven hoofs) and he also does a thing with his tongue like a serpent. When Keneau Reeves' wife says "the only thing worse than having no father was having mine," he says "I can relate, believe me." Also his name, John Milton is the same name as the poet who wrote Paradise Lost.

As an aside, in the final scenes, Christabella, the half sister is preparing for Keneau to have sex with her so they can give birth to the Antichrist. During her preparations she takes a dagger and hides it. I have always thought the plan was to Kil Reeves once he had performed his "service."
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/26/05 04:36 PM

Or perhaps she was like a Black Widow Spider, that kills its mate after insemination.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/26/05 05:11 PM

As Don T said, there are many clues and indications that he is The Devil.

But my favorite part is when He and Reeves are on the train, and the spanish guy pulls a knife out on him, and he whispers in the guy's ear in spanish, decribing exactly what his wife is doing in the bedroom and describes the spanish guy's own bedroom to him. He's the devil, no doubt.

Good scene.

Don Cardi

Re: Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/26/05 06:01 PM

DC.....Smoking a "jumbo" and then going to his favorite green bed spread!
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/28/05 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
But my favorite part is when He and Reeves are on the train, and the spanish guy pulls a knife out on him, and he whispers in the guy's ear in spanish, decribing exactly what his wife is doing in the bedroom and describes the spanish guy's own bedroom to him.
I agree with DC. I love the scene. Such a way to intimidate and help your fellow man at the same time.

The dialogue at the end "taste, but don't swallow" was classic along with the scene where Milton's dabbing his finger in the holy water at the cathedrol (causing the water to steam).

Re: Devil's Advocate, What was he? - 07/28/05 08:37 PM

There are a lot of great scenes in that movie. Two of my favorites are Pacino's "Eddie Barzun, Eddie Barzun," rant where Eddie is rinning through the park, and also the rant about "God is an Absentee Landlord." Pacino is just sooo great.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET