Home

Field of Dreams

Posted By: pizzaboy

Field of Dreams - 05/16/15 03:03 PM

I'm watching it on the MLB channel right now. It's the 25th-anniversary edition (which is actually a year old because the film came out in April of '89). Anyway, prior to the movie Bob Costas interviewed Timothy Busfield and Kevin Costner.

It culminated with Costner and Dwier Brown (who played Costner's father in the film) "playing catch" for the first time since they filmed the infamous final scene.

And the final scene is on right now, so I'm tearing up just a little bit. This movie obviously means a lot more to me now than it did then (my Dad's health and all).
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Field of Dreams - 05/16/15 04:21 PM

A fine film. Wish I had a dollar for every simpleton who says it isn't really about baseball.

(Oh, and he took the money and threw the Series.)
Posted By: SC

Re: Field of Dreams - 05/16/15 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: mustachepete
Wish I had a dollar for every simpleton who says it isn't really about baseball.

It really isn't about baseball.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Field of Dreams - 05/16/15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: mustachepete
A fine film. Wish I had a dollar for every simpleton who says it isn't really about baseball.

(Oh, and he took the money and threw the Series.)

You have a heart of stone, MP lol.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Field of Dreams - 05/16/15 06:45 PM

One of my all time fave sports pictures, pizzaboy. Me and a couple of the sports writers from the newspaper went out there and had a blast. That was back in my newspaper days. It's about 2 and a half hours west of me. That was in the mid 1990's and there was a lawsuit going on with neighbors, etc. Quite a mess if I remember correct. Any way, it was really a great experience and I'm glad we went.

It is now owned by a couple from the Chicagoland suburbs and I really don't know much more than that.

As a Sox fan, it was a great time for pictures. Eight Men Out came out in 1988 and then of course Field of Dreams in '89. God, I love baseball!

http://www.fodmoviesite.com
Posted By: goombah

Re: Field of Dreams - 05/28/15 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I'm watching it on the MLB channel right now. It's the 25th-anniversary edition (which is actually a year old because the film came out in April of '89). Anyway, prior to the movie Bob Costas interviewed Timothy Busfield and Kevin Costner.

It culminated with Costner and Dwier Brown (who played Costner's father in the film) "playing catch" for the first time since they filmed the infamous final scene.

And the final scene is on right now, so I'm tearing up just a little bit. This movie obviously means a lot more to me now than it did then (my Dad's health and all).

I lost my Dad when I was a pre-teen. Every time I see that ending scene, it brings tears to my eyes. Actually just thinking about it and typing this, my eyes are wet.

My Dad absolutely loved baseball. He was born in Canada and cheered for the Montreal Expos and the Indians. One of our best moments together was attending the 1981 MLB All-Star Game in Cleveland. He was so proud of Expos catcher hitting two HRs in the game. He also used to be my catcher while I practiced pitching in our driveway.

Fortunately, I have a wonderful 9 year old son who loves baseball. A highlight of any day is when we play catch. In fact, his Little League season started last night. He is the shortest kid on the team, but was the Opening Day starting pitcher. In the two innings he pitched before the rain came, he struck out 5 of the 6 batters he faced.

My son & I have watched "Field of Dreams" together and he definitely "gets" the significance of the movie. We also love watching two other great baseball movies (The Sandlot & Moneyball) together.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET