Home

American Idol - 2014

Posted By: MaryCas

American Idol - 2014 - 01/15/14 01:36 AM

We used to have a few Idol followers, but in recent years they seem to have lost interest. Too much competition? Is it worn out? Thank God Nickie Minaj is not back. And Mariah Carey was a yawn. I think Urban, Lopez and Connick will be good. HC seems like he will stir things up. JLo will be saying "you are amazing, you amazed me with your amazingness." Keith will be Mr. Nice Guy. Starts tomorrow night.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 01/15/14 02:59 AM

I will probably watch, at least a few episodes. I saw HC in concert several years ago and he was so obnoxious that we walked out, so I am not a fan. Maybe he's matured.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 01/15/14 06:59 AM

I watch them all, for better or for worse. This is probably Idol's last chance, though, to do something new and different. The Voice is more entertaining. X-Factor is, well, not sure. The Sing Off is my favorite, but that only lasted like 6 episodes this season (after a two year wait!). ....actually, I think America's Got Talent has to be the most entertaining talent show out in America right now.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 01/17/14 02:45 PM

I watched the Wednesday show, not the Thursday. They made a few production changes with respect to the "look" like multi-screen shots. Visually more snappy. Harry C can be a bit sarcastic but he is musically astute as opposed to JLo. HC is a little bit of Simon, but smarter. The chemistry between the 3 was good. More like the first few seasons with Randy, Paula and Simon. Keith might have to notch it up a bit.

Good thing about the show was minimal weird acts; more of the good singers. Ryan is still the same.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 01/21/14 04:20 PM

I watched with my wife and daughter and thought it sucked, even with new judges.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 01/22/14 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: bigboy
I watched with my wife and daughter and thought it sucked, even with new judges.

Ummm, Why??

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 01/25/14 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Ummm, Why??
I guess just a personal thing. I thought they "Passed" some who weren't that good and other who I thought were good were sent packing. Also it used to be entertaining to see some of the really bad ones. Just glad Minage is gone

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 01/26/14 09:52 AM

Just glad Minage is gone

Good enough for me! wink ...and I agree w/ everything else you said!

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 01/27/14 02:47 AM

I have to tell you, I was not looking forward to this season, but I find myself looking forward to watching. Harry Connick Jr. is like a breath of fresh air. When he "auditioned" for Keith Urban last week I damn near wet myself, I was laughing so hard. JLo is as annoying as ever and seems to just love everyone, but I'm digging the bromance between Keith and Harry. Also, they seem to be much more musically astute and give feedback that is useful and constructive.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/06/14 03:46 PM

Watched last night - Hollywood. I think AI is trying too hard to create drama. It comes off as pretentious and contrived. There appears to be some talented, interesting contestants and the usual pile of imitators. Harry Connick is entertaining. The disorganized creation of groups has become a tedious bore. Maybe when they perform it will be entertaining.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/07/14 03:48 AM

I hate group night as well, MC. I always feel bad for those few whose group members seem psychotic. They just want to sing!

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/07/14 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I hate group night as well, MC. I always feel bad for those few whose group members seem psychotic. They just want to sing!

Didn't see the competition last night, but when they were organizing, one girl kept getting bounced around (she was a bit of a bitch though). One of her groups had a mother calling the shots. I guess she was there for an underage contestant. Such DRAMA! lol
Posted By: LittleMan

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/07/14 05:19 PM

I haven't watched this season. But one thing I could never understand about group night is how difficult it seems to be to learn the lines of a song. One's solo part probably consists of 4-5 lines and some have a real hard time remembering them.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/08/14 02:44 AM

Oh, you really need to see if you can catch Thursday's show somewhere, MC, if you foresaw the Mama Drama!

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/10/14 03:02 PM

Oh, you really need to see if you can catch Thursday's show somewhere, MC, if you foresaw the Mama Drama!

SB, I saw the highlight on Yahoo Primetime. That poor girl has that nutjob for a mother. I'm surprise Pink-Hair-Girl didn't pop her one.
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/10/14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I watch them all, for better or for worse. This is probably Idol's last chance, though, to do something new and different. The Voice is more entertaining. X-Factor is, well, not sure. The Sing Off is my favorite, but that only lasted like 6 episodes this season (after a two year wait!). ....actually, I think America's Got Talent has to be the most entertaining talent show out in America right now.

I really liked the Sing Off season that had Jerry Lawson on it. Not as much after that, but it is still amazing to me that these groups are performing without instruments.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/14/14 12:57 PM

They are down to 30. Some very talented people and some different styles. Unfortunately the format has gotten more staged and pretentious. Its a mutation of a reality show.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/21/14 12:33 PM

And then there were 13. Now the competition begins. The screamers and the "run" singers are gone. I think that might be a direct influence of Harry Connick. He implored that they SING. Keith followed Harry's lead. And Jennifer, "you're beautiful baby".

OK Geoff, you're going to have to tear yourself away from those other reality shows and provide your indepth analysis of contestants. Its a good mix of styles. Should be interesting.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/27/14 02:16 PM

I guess I'll talk to myself on this thread.

12 out of 13 are pretty good. The judges liked everyone. America will decide! Of the 13 songs, I only knew one, "Folsom Prison Blues"...I guess I'm officially old.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/27/14 03:20 PM

The show actually put me to sleep last night. I thought most of the singers were off-key, and I don't know if that was nerves or what. The only performances I really liked were Majesty's, the guy who sang "Folsom", Alex and MK. I was looking forward to Caleb, but fell asleep before he hit the stage. I think he's the most talented of the boys.

Edit: See, you're not alone, MC!

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/28/14 02:19 AM

The results show: Christine is gone. My prediction. Nothing special there...the karaoke factor. Caleb is good SB, maybe the most different-talented, but...will a rocker win? Probably not, but there are a lot of bands out there who could make him fit.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 02/28/14 06:15 AM

The show actually put me to sleep last night. I thought most of the singers were off-key....

I agree - I thought most of them were pretty bad. I made notes for Top 13, but not sure if I'll post them before Top 10. Just not into it this year as much, but, I agree that Harry is a total breath of fresh air -- and is funny as hell, on top of being totally right in his critiques at the same time.

Tonight's Bottom 3 were the ones I predicted last night, probably for the first time ever. (Tho my #13 wasn't the one to go - my notes are downstairs and I'm being lazy ;))

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/06/14 07:19 PM

According to Harry Connick most of the singers are singing flat or sharp. Must be those things they stick in their ears.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/06/14 07:36 PM

With the exception of Caleb and the country boys, I found performance after performance to be merely meh. Off in many parts, drowned out by the band and the backup singers, just one train wreck after another. I loved the beginning of Majesty's performance, but then she tried to hit that glory note, and my dog ran and hid under the couch.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/07/14 03:06 PM

With the exception of Caleb and the country boys, I found performance after performance to be merely meh. Off in many parts, drowned out by the band and the backup singers, just one train wreck after another. I loved the beginning of Majesty's performance, but then she tried to hit that glory note, and my dog ran and hid under the couch.

Agreed 100%. Emily got the boot last night. MK and Jena squeaked by. "Meh" oh, Yeh. Half of them could have been booted last night. I'm going out on a limb here, but I think these "kids" are victims of growing up in a bad musical time; screamers, big notes and those idiotic "runs" (they give me the runs). The combination singer-performer is hard to find and that is what Harry Connick is trying to encourage. Jessica has a great voice, but she looked like she was watching a tennis match. Sam has a unique voice (not pitchy), I'm sure the girls think he is cute, but the stage presence of a broom. Caleb better find a different kind of song to sing other than hard rock - high tenor - manic performance - songs. Who will rise from the heap?

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/13/14 12:06 PM

Hey MC, do you think Ben is going to go tonight. He should. He sounded very Karaoke. He looks like he is imitating himself, if that is possible.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/14/14 05:11 PM

Once again you are right...oh great one. Caleb is looking mighty strong right now and if Jessica picks the right songs she could contend. She has the best voice of the girls, but she has to get a stage personna other than disinterested.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/15/14 03:12 PM

Is Caleb the Meat Loaf look alike?

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/15/14 04:57 PM

We DVRd this week's episodes and have yet to watch them.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/16/14 12:28 AM

I noticed that Jessica walked away to the lounge after her performance without even chatting with Ryan afterwards. She just seems so disinterested in the whole thing, it's hard to care if she wins or loses.

I think that Alex, Caleb and CJ gave the best performances. Dexter was enjoyable, but he must have done that song 1,000 times, nothing special about it. I was not nearly as impressed with the girls, especially Malaya and Jena, who the judges raved about.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/17/14 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Marco
Is Caleb the Meat Loaf look alike?

Better looking than Meat Loaf. He doesn't look as meaty. wink

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/20/14 06:57 PM

So MC, .... another fairly boring show. I think the judges are too good at their job. It was more fun when Randy did his Yo Dawgs and Paula would say something that made no sense and Simon was being his sarcastic self. Harry takes it serious. Keith is just a nice guy and well J-Lo....has a nice butt, but we can't see it.

I think CJ will go this week. He can't sing on key. I fell asleep on a few.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/20/14 08:35 PM

Let's see if I remember how to do this... wink

Top 10 - "Top of the Charts" (Top 10's from 2011-Now)

Code:
B+  Alex     "Story of My Life"
B   Malaya   "When I Was Your Man"
B   Sam      "We Are Young"
B   Jess     "Pumped Up Kicks"
B   Caleb    "The Edge of Glory"
B-  Majesty  "Wake Me Up!"
B-  Jena     "Clarity"
C   Dexter   "Cruise"
D+  MK       "Perfect"
D   CJ       "Invisible"

In order of performance:

#9 MK sounded like a karaoke singer, certainly not "perfect". She's been consistent, though: consistently at or near the bottom. (#13, #12, #10 previous weeks)

#8 Dex has been slipping the past couple weeks, this was meh.

#7 Jena (spell it right already!) had a good performance, less 'goodly' vocals. Generally in the middle of the pack.

#1 Alex is one of my favorites, always in tune, always original. He needs to lighten up, though.

#2 Malaya I like as well. A- last week, first and only A so far this season. Previous two weeks weren't that good, though.

#5 Caleb was predictable, but I still love him -- he sang a Rush song two weeks ago!!

#10 CJ was very sharp most of the time. Usually middle of the pack.

#4 Jess stepped it up this week after being near the bottom previous weeks. Good vox, but enough energy?

#6 Majesty was goodish, but seemed timid. Apt song title.

#3 Sam definitely stepped it up this week. "Cheeks" seems to do well every-other week.

--

Notes on previous weeks:

TOP 13 (Theme: "This is Me"): I predicted the Bottom 3 correctly, but I had MK ("flat, not good") leaving instead of Kristen ("meh"). My Top 3 were Alex ("like him, nice voice"), Caleb ("great rock voice, but song choice?"), and Emily ("nice vox"). Group performed "Radioactive" on results day. Keith's "Taste Maker" this week: Jake Bugg ("Me and You").

TOP 12 (Theme: "Home"): I again had MK at the bottom ("better than last week, but still not good enough"), but had Jena ("upbeat, okay") #5 and Emily (who went home) at #7 ("seemed flat"). My Top 3 were Majesty ("very good, tho 'screamy' at the end"), Dexter ("pretty good"), and Sam ("good, pleasant"). Group performed Philip Philips' "Home," and PP himself performed his new single, "Raging Fire". Randy's "Taste Maker": Kodaline ("All I Want").

TOP 11 (Theme: "Songs from The Cinema"): MK ("better, but not gonna win this") missed the Bottom 3, by 1, this week. Jessica ("couple rough spots, weird tone/vibrato") earned that one. Sam ("okay, karaoke") was the third. My Top 3 were Malaya ("goosies, stepped it up, very good"), Alex ("top 2, good pitch"), and Caleb ("good pitch, rawks"). The group didn't perform but Harry did a medley; and, Mali Music was fast-forwarded over.

So yeah, not too many are consistently good yet.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/20/14 09:05 PM

Good job GF. Right on.

Alex needs to pick a song where it looks like he is enjoying himself. Jess too. They are not selling their songs. They could compete for the top spot, but Caleb might beat them out with a little more diversity. He's got the pipes.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/21/14 01:34 AM

IMO, top 3 were Alex, Malaya and Jess. I thought they all were exceptional. Harry seems to dislike Jess for some reason. I thought she was very good and actually engaged the audience for once.

Caleb does have the talent, but he's been a bit of a one-trick pony. I did feel bad for CJ. And MK needs to stop looking like she just sucked a lemon.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/21/14 05:39 AM

Top 10 - Results

"Post Show Supper Club" video

Results: Malaya, Dexter, Jess
Jess safe, Malaya safe, Dex B3

J-Lo performs "I Luh Ya, Papi"

Results: Alex, Majesty, Caleb
Alex safe, Caleb safe, Majesty B3

Harry's "Taste Maker": Royal Teeth perform "Wild"

Results: Sam, Jena, CJ, MK
CJ somehow safe, Jena safe, Sam safe, MK B3

B3 = Majesty, MK, Dex
Majesty safe, Dex safe

MK not saved. Finally.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/24/14 03:35 PM

That stupid I Luh You, Papi is stuck in my head.

MK had a decent voice but she really looked like she couldn't wait to go home, so America granted her wish.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/27/14 11:02 AM

Fell asleep and didn't see Jena and Caleb. My wife said Caleb is the best and she shut off Jena - too annoying. I like Malaya's energy. Not sure if her singing is good enough.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/27/14 06:55 PM

Top 9 - "I'm With The Band"

Briefly mentored by Fall Out Boy, the Idols sing a medley of band hits, including FOB's "Fire" as Ricky and the band play on stage.

No one was particularly bad this week, IMHO.

Code:
A   Caleb    "Dazed and Confused"
B+  Alex     "Don't Speak"
B+  Jena     "Bring Me To Life"
B   Jess     "Rhiannon"
B   Dexter   "Boondocks"
B   Sam      "Hey There, Delilah"
B   Malaya   "The Long & Winding Road"
B-  CJ       "If It Hadn't Beef for Love"
B-  Majesty  "Shake It Out"

Alex was great, I thought. Perfect pitch as always. Altho Keith thinks he needs more edge, and Harry wants him to move more.

Majesty sounded way off during the choruses, and was winded at the end. J-Lo thought her vox were all over the place, but performance was a perfect 10.

Dexter was typical, but one of his better ones. Judges want to see something else from him.

Malaya was okay, different. I still hear Archie singing this, and no one comes close. Harry thought it was a nice job, but she needs to work on her craft, not stardom.

Sam was his pleasant self, nothing wrong with it. Judges think he needs to connect emotionally more ("sing to your Delilah").

Jess was technically okay, but a little boring to me. Judges want her to draw them in more, but she's more confident.

CJ was off in spots, but had some nice grit. Keith noted that there's a difference between feeling, and simply sounding like it.

Caleb sings Zeppelin -- I knew that it'd be perfect! J-Lo thought he brought sexiness to it. Keith quipped "the band is with the singer"

Jena has an odd voice, but it was powerful. Harry said, "You followed it [Caleb]!" and J-Lo said "Fuck this" to the other judges (lol)

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/28/14 05:24 AM

Top 9 - Results

Results show is 30 minutes -- woohoo!

Randy's Recap (His Top 3: Caleb, Malaya, Jena)

Safe (via Big Screen): Jena, Malaya

Janelle Monae performs "What Is Love" from Rio 2

Safe: Alex, Jess, Caleb, Dextor

B3 = Majesty, Sam, CJ

B1 = Majesty, who is NOT saved.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 03/29/14 02:45 PM

I like Alex more and more each week. I think he is so talented and he brings his own style to every performance.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/03/14 02:13 AM

Top 8 - Audition Songs + Duets

No one was bad this week, but it was a bit sleepy for most of them, IMHO.

Code:
B+  Alex    "Fairytales" [sic.] (original)
B+  Caleb   "Chain of Fools"
B   Jena    "Rolling In The Deep"
B   Malaya  "Ain't No Way"
B   Dexter  "One Mississippi"
B   CJ      "Soul Shine"
B   Jessica "Blue-Eyed Lie" (original)
B   Sam     "Lego House"

JESS was good, nothing wrong with it, but a bit Zzzz. K: Move more; J: Perfect

CJ was okay, no problems, better than audition and previous weeks. Judges thought he did a good job

DUET: Jena & Alex, "Just Give Me A Reason" (B)

SAM was also good, but needs to mature more, vocally. H: Make a connection; K: Better every week

DUET: Jess & Caleb, "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" (B)

MALAYA was mature-sounding, almost. Great potential. J: Poised; K: Great, work on runs (perfect all 12 notes of the scale)

DEX sounded good, too, 99% of the time. H: Great to hear you sing

DUET: Malaya & Sam, "Lucky" (C+)

JENA was more confident, a big difference from the audition. K: Made it your own

DUET: Dex & CJ, "Alright" (B)

CALEB was "ready" yesterday, wow! K: Blues Warrior, R&R Viking; H: Try something new (subdued) next week

ALEX was very good, as usual. Good original, too. Judges agreed.

...when everyone's good, it's tougher to rank them! But I still was a little bored overall -- could've been just me, though.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/03/14 06:46 AM

Geoff, I was a little bored too, which seems to be the theme of this year's show. I think AI may have lost the formula for an entertaining show. Its hard to put a finger on it, but I was flipping back and forth with "The Perfect Storm", which was getting more flip time as the show progressed.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/04/14 01:38 AM

Top 8 - Results

(Still ecstatic Results shows are 30 mins! wink )

"Dinnertime Download" video recap

Safe: Dex, Jena

Ford commercial [why no music videos this year?? Or not yet?]

Daughtry (Chris; Top 4, Season 5) perform new single, "Waiting for Superman"

Safe: Caleb, Jess, Alex

B3 = CJ, Malaya, Sam

...Cheeks is the bottom... sings "Babylon" kinda poorly, yet is SAVED! (I guess he is kinda popular w/ the younger girls)

Next week: Top 8 Redux; Theme: the 80s

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/04/14 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
I was flipping back and forth with "The Perfect Storm", which was getting more flip time as the show progressed.

It's hard to flip out of disaster movies! wink

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/10/14 03:39 AM

Top 8 Redux - The '80s

With David Cook as mentor (he was great, actually!), and more duets.

Code:
B+  CJ     "Free Fallin'"
B   Caleb  "Faithfully"
B   Sam    "Time After Time"
B   Alex   "Every Breath You Take"
B-  Dex    "Keep Your Hands To Yourself"
C   Jena   "I Love Rock 'n Roll"
C   Jess   "Call Me"
C-  Malaya "Through The Fire"

JENA was interesting, but not strong enough voice. K/J: A bit low

DEX was okay, nothing special. H: Basic, fine; K: Started stiff

Duet #1 - Alex & Sam - "That Girl is Mine" (B)

MALAYA started off well, then lost it. K/J: Need to relax, focus

Duet #2 - Jena & Caleb - "It's Only Love" (Harry "went in" - to the audience - and ended up with a young girl on his shoulders) (B-)

JESS didn't blow me away. H: Sing the shuffle, feel the pocket

SAM was pretty good, original, and I love that song. J: Good job, H: watch young Ricky Nelson videos on YouTube

Duet #3 - CJ & Malaya - "I Knew You Were Waiting" [didn't grade it in writing]

ALEX was very original, to say the least. H: Coffee House; K: Bold; J: Missed the melody

Duet #4 - Dex & Jess - "Islands in The Stream" (B-)

Here, Keith starts drumming on the table, and the Judges -- then audience -- starts singing "Like a Virgin" -- then Ryan starts singing, and yeah, he can't.

CJ was a few notes short of perfection, IMHO. J: Started shaky; H: Great connection, practice pitch

CALEB finally proved: his power is > his singing, but!, he's still great -- but not #1! H: Waiting for this

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/10/14 09:20 AM

Aaaaaaah. Totally forgot it was Wednesday and didn't watch it. I have a good excuse.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/10/14 08:27 PM

I watched some, slept through the rest. Of what I saw, I thought that the performances were solid, with the exception of Malaya. I thought she was actually awful, and I'm a fan.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/11/14 02:04 PM

Top 8 Redux - Results

Dex, Caleb, Jess, CJ.... Caleb safe, Jess safe (My #7 - WTF?!), Dex safe, CJ (My #1, Bottom 2 - WTF?!)

Sam, Malaya, Alex, Jena.... Alex, Sam, Jena are safe, Malaya B2

As there is no more Save, Malaya goes home (whew). I like her, but she's not ready....

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/12/14 07:47 AM

I don't understand how CJ is still around. He has delivered some truly terrible performances. I'm shocked when he sings ON key.
Posted By: jace

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/14/14 02:34 PM

The judges seem to be trying to defend CJ more than they do with other contestants. He has a large group of people cheering for him from his hometown sitting in the audience, I think they may be influencing the judges just a bit.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/17/14 02:39 AM

Top 7 - Competitors Pick

Code:
B+  Caleb  "Family Tree"
B+  CJ     "Gravity"
B   Alex   "A Team"
B   Dex    "Muckalee Creek Water"
B   Sam    "Sail Away"
C   Jess   "Gunpowder and Lead"
C-  Jena   "Creep"

CALEB was good, as usual. K: Consistent, dynamic

JESS was disappointing, I've heard better versions. J: Off a bit; H: Practice rhythm

Duet: Sam & Alex, "Let Her Go" (B)

CJ was great, emotional; J: Create a moment, crescendo

DEX didn't do anything wrong, but it was kinda Zzz. K: Good, but make it your own

Duet: Caleb & Jena, "Gimme Shelter" (B+)

ALEX was good as always. H: Favorite of the night

SAM was pleasant, but I thought the song was boring. H: Making weekly progress

Trio: Dex, CJ & Jess, "Compass" (D)

JENA ruined a great song, IMHO, but the judges thought it was great (?!). H: Best of the night o.O

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/17/14 05:20 PM

Thanks Geoff. Fell asleep again. This year has been a big bore. I think the whole production is a bore. It plods along; too many commercials; the judges try making profound analysis; Harry is good , but too long-winded....blah, blah, blah. This should be the last year.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/18/14 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
...too many commercials...

The commercials are good to break up the monotony! lol ...but seriously, you don't have a DVR yet?? Those interminable 2 hr shows (incl. The Voice at this point) can be seen in 1.5 hrs max cool

And guess what? 2 more NEW shows are coming this Summer. uhwhat

But sure, there's been no ONE to root for (for me), but I have a few I like. But as for Harry, I think he's the smartest of the bunch, and I could listen to him all night. Among ALL singing competitions, only Ben Folds (from "The Sing-Off") is as musically smart as Harry, and I'm talking every series, over every season. I welcome his technical criticism over all the "I love you" b.s. heard over and over again by some.

Having said that, I LOVE these 30 minute (less on DVR tongue ) Results shows! wink

Top 7 - Results

Kevin Bacon does Ryan's short intro, incl. "This is American Idol"

Post Show Sliders video

Ford Idol Journey "Mustang for a Day"

Alex, Dex, Jena... Jena safe (My #7, their #1), Alex safe; Dex B2

CJ, Jess, Sam, Caleb... Caleb safe, CJ safe, Sam safe; Jess B2

B2 = Dex & Jess

OUT is..... Dexter (C'mon now!?!?!)... Dex exits singing, ironically, "Lucky Man"

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/18/14 11:36 PM

I fell asleep, too.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 04/26/14 02:44 PM

Better late than never...

Top 6 - Country & Rock 'n Roll

Code:
Rock

B+  Caleb  "Sting Me"
B   Alex   "Animal"
B   Sam    "It's Time"
B   Jena   "Barracuda"
C+  Jess   "Somebody to Love"
C   CJ     "American Woman"

JENA had one of her better performances. K: Killer, but release more

SAM did a good job. J: Goosies; H: Blossoming

CJ wasn't that great. H: Pretty good, but watch intonation

ALEX did a good job with a great song. K: Release more; J: Something missing, contained

CALEB (who awesomely dove to recover his dropped mic, without missing a beat) was obviously in his element, but song choice? J: Some real rock & roll ...stuff.

JESS was better than usual. H: Strong, nice job; K: Release more; J: Connect

If I hear Keith say "release more" one more time......!!

Code:
Country

A-  Alex   "Always On My Mind"
B   Caleb  "Undo It"
B   Jena   "So Small"
B   Jess   "Jolene"
B-  CJ     "Whatever It Is"
C-  Sam    "You're Still The One"

SAM was out of his element, karaoke. K: Relax more; H: More dynamics

CALEB pulled of a Carrie Underwood song, but it wasn't country-ish. H: More forced, but still extremely strong; K: (jokingly) "Can't wait to hear your country song"

ALEX sounded Paul Simon-esque, love this guy! H: Beautiful, an artist; K: More heartbreak; J: Perfect balance, beautiful

JENA wasn't country, either, but a good night for her (not one of my favorites). K: Such a good singer; J: Vocal took over, goosies; H: Didn't work for me

CJ was a bit better here. J: Didn't hit the mark, song choice; H: Didn't kill

JESS, again, was better than usual. K: Hated arrangement; J: Strong vocal

RESULTS

Video of Caleb's birthday dinner

Ford, The D.L. on the Idols

Randy's Reviews:
Caleb ("won the night"), Sam ("good"), CJ ("trouble")

Sam safe, Caleb safe, CJ B2

Jena ("strong"), Alex ("good night"), Jessica ("solid")

Jena safe, Alex safe, Jess B2

B2 = CJ & Jessica.

Leaving is...... CJ, who sings "Can't You See"

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/01/14 03:37 PM

Top 5 - America's Request
w/ Jason Mraz

Code:
Round 1

B  Alex   "Sweater Weather"
B  Jena   "My Body"
B  Caleb  "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing"
B- Sam    "Sing"
D  Jess   "Human"

ALEX was good, a fitting song. K: Could've soared; H: Popular sound

CALEB is better at belting than singing. J: Made it yours, goosies; H: Sing to audience, not camera; K: More feeling

Trio: Jena, Alex, Sam - "Best Day of My Life" (B)

JESS wasn't great, especially in lower register. H: Pitch issues but improved performance; J: Live in the song

SAM was okay, funky, a bit Zzz. K: Tough song; H: Need to be in the pocket, but something different

JENA's lower register was totally lost, but a decent stage performance (best of the lot). J: Own style now; H: You move, fun

Code:
Round 2

B+ Caleb  "Still of The Night"
B+ Alex   "Say Something"
B- Sam    "How To Save a Life"
B- Jena   "Valerie"
C- Jess   "Summertime Sadness"

Duet: Caleb & Jess - "Beast of Burden" (B)

ALEX was strong as usual. H: Didn't give in to emotion, performance of the night; K: Beautiful

JENA's voice (nasally vibrato) I'm getting used to. K: Killer vocals; J: Not best one (tempo, arrangement)

SAM wasn't bad, but not a great night for him. J: Shaky beginning, goosies; H: Pitch issues, dynamics issues

JESS was lackluster, even showing full leg. H: Perfect song for you; K: Lean into it more; J: Dig in more performance wise

CALEB = RAWK! K: Killer; J: Crazy!; H: Fantastic

Code:
Overall

1 Alex
2 Caleb
3 Jena
4 Sam
5 Jess

Alex and Caleb were very close, but Alex is the better singer. Jena edged out Sam with her stage presence. Jess, well, needs to go next.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/01/14 06:02 PM

Its a shame that Jess has no energy, charisma, fire, whatever. She has a terrific voice, a sultry look, but she couldn't sell a song if she needed a dollar. She is doomed to back ground music in a bar.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/01/14 09:18 PM

I believe Caleb will win based on last nights performance

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/02/14 03:01 AM

Top 5 - Results

Ryan forewarns about a "shocking twist"

"Roundtable Recap" video

#FordIdolJourney ("Party")

Keith performs his new single, "Good Thing"

Randy's Reactions:
Jena - "amazing, killed it"
Alex - "gave everything"
Jess - "didn't have best of nights"
Sam - "interesting night"
Caleb - "turned the place upside down"

Here's the "shocking twist": The Idols have 2 options. Either, 1) the lowest goes home, or, 2) no one goes home -- but, next week 2 go home.

The Top 5 vote: No One Goes Home (3) vs Bottom Goes (2) ...NOT unanimous, so, going home is... SAM (?!?!??!!!) WTF??!!! I know he wasn't going to win, but he certainly wasn't the worst one left! ohwell ....Cheeks sings "It's Time" as he heads off....

Part of me thinks the Producers introduced this choice option to give Sam a chance (cuz they knew he had the fewest votes, but, also knew he was a draw). Either way, I've been saying "WTF?!" too much during results shows. I think Alex should win. Caleb is awesome, and up my alley, but Alex is the better singer (I just wish he looked the part more). Jess still sucks and needs to go (again). Jena has a chance because of her stage presence, not her voice.

In any event... I'll be in Florida next week, so will try and take notes. No promises about posting them in a timely fashion, though. I hate "typing" on laptops. It's not typing, it's "pecking" for me (tho I'm 65 wpm on a real keyboard!). lol

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/02/14 05:30 PM

Yes, the producers speak. They wanted a balance of guys and gals. Who do you think would be the biggest commercial draw...think $$$$ for the Idol producers. Country has had the biggest commercial success, followed by balladeer (Clarkson, Underwood, McCreery, Archaletta, Clay Aiken). Pop-rockers not so good or the soul crooner (Chris Allen (who?), David Cook, the Soul Patrol guy, Lee Dweedle Zee, Reuben, Fantasia). On that premise......another commercial dud in the making. Maybe the quirky Alex could find a commercial niche.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/06/14 01:05 PM

Anyone see where Scottie McCreary's apartment was the site of a home invasion yesterday AM. No one was hurt, but the three thugs got away. He was living by NC State College

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/08/14 06:57 PM

OK, one thug in custody at present. Assume he'll squeal on his buddies
Posted By: Footreads

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/08/14 08:19 PM

I hate these shows because whenever I think the person is going to win. They get sent home.

I watch the voice UK and the USA. The voice Uk i was sure an older women Sally Barker was a going to win. That lady can sing she lost.

Then the voice US I was positive Sisuandra Lewis was going to win. She has a kick arse voice gone. Some Cowboy was picked before her by the fans.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/15/14 03:32 PM

Reporting from Flu-rida, last week:

Top 4 - Love

Code:
Breakups

B  Alex   "Too Close"
B  Caleb  "You Give Love a Bad Name"
B- Jena   "Heartbreaker"
C+ Jess   "Since You Been Gone"

CALEB sang understated, for him. K: Killah; J: Ready for prime time

JESS sounded raw, Joan-Jetty. J: Got attitude, but not your style; H: Show us how you feel

ALEX is perhaps the best singer left. H: Built tune up in own style every week; K: Take more command; J: No 'moments'

JENA was okay. K: Too forced; J: Controlled; H: Disconnect

Code:
Dedications

B  Caleb  "Travelling Band"
B  Alex   "I'm Yours"
B  Jess   "So What"
C  Jena   "Bad Romance"

CALEB didn't do too much, great vox. J: Tough to beat

JESS was better. H: Song choice again; K: Agreed; J: Not right for you

JENA, wasn't sure about this one. K: Really good; H: Nice job

ALEX was great, of course, but yeah, no 'moments'. J: Stayed linear, surprise us; H: Break it down and reinvent it

Code:
Makeups

A- Jena   "I Can't Help Falling In Love"
B+ Caleb  "Baby I'm Amazed"
B  Alex   "Yellow"
B  Jess   "You And I"

CALEB was awesome. H: Phenomenal; K: Killah; J: Your best performance

JESS was okay, nothing special. K: Perfect song for you; H: Came out swinging, killed it

JENA is always great with piano ballads. J: [Walked on stage to hug/kiss her]; H: Incredible; K: Musical platypus

ALEX was pleasant as usual. H: You needed that, great performance; K: Poetic vulnerability; J: Integral to this competition

----

My overall rankings this week: Caleb, Alex, Jena, Jess

Results

Ford: "What I Miss"

Harry imitates Scarface ("Say 'ello to my li'l friend") with Beignet sugar on his nose.

First one safe is..... Jena

"Picnic in the Park"

Next safe is..... Caleb

Last one safe is...... Alex (whew!)

Jess sings, something, finally out!

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/15/14 03:51 PM

Top 3 - AI's 500th Episode

Code:
Randy's Picks

B  Jena  "Titanium"
B  Alex  "Pompeii"
B  Caleb "Never Tear Us Apart"

CALEB is sick, so wasn't his most powerful, understood. J: You on your worst night are better than people on their best

ALEX wasn't at his best either, but he makes a good frontman. J: Elevated Alex; H: Saw wheels turning, more rehearsal would've helped; R: Dope

JENA was okay, didn't blow me away. H: High risk, high reward; K: Mixed in fun; J: Shaky, stiff; R: Started slow

Code:
Judges' Picks

B+ Alex   "Stay"
B  Caleb  "Demons"
B- Jena   "Heart Attack"

CALEB had to hold back, unfortunately. J: Makes you rely on other things, sang emotion

ALEX made it his, as usual. J: Beautiful, all yours, goosies; H: Really strong; K: owned that song

JENA's low parts I couldn't even hear. H: Wanna hear 100% all the time; J: Very lose, controlled

Code:
Hometowns' Picks

B+ Caleb  "Dazed and Confused"
B  Jena   "Creep"
B  Alex   "Story of My Life"

CALEB did this in Top 9 and got the season's only solid-A. B+ under the weather, and for killing the mic stand! K: Moment of miraculous healing; J: True Idol moment; H: Took full advantage

ALEX was my #1 in Top 10 week with this (B+), less magical tonight. J: So hard [to pick]; H: Very strong; K: Hard to follow "Stay"

JENA did this for Top 7, and I hated it (C-, #7) though the judges loved it then. Better this time. H: Even better than last time, don't envy voters; K: You so "belong here"

----

Interestingly, I picked each contestant winning a round and losing a round, so everything all even in that regard. I have to give the edge to Alex (B+/B/B) then Caleb (B+/B/B). Jena started out very annoying to me, and it took awhile to get used to that voice. She had her moments, and she'll probably be in the finale, but I'd rather see Alex and Caleb. I'd like to see Alex win, for being the most original and talented overall.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/15/14 04:51 PM

wow, YOU GUYS TAKE THIS VERY SERIOUSLY. WHILE I'M AN OLD MAN WHO REALLY ISN'T CRAZY OVER HEAVY METAL OR HARD ROCK, I CAN'T SEE HOW ANY OF THEM BEAT CALEB. EVEN WHILE SICK, HE HAD THE AUDIENCE AND JUDGES IN PANDEMONIUM. DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THAT WEASEL FROM NH IS STILL IN THERE. JENA IS ALSO GREAT

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/15/14 08:43 PM

I am with you, Geoff. I would love to see an Alex/Caleb finale as well. Caleb is very talented, but I'm afraid he's a one-trick pony. The judges have been pushing Jena, though, so who knows??

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/16/14 02:37 AM

DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THAT WEASEL FROM NH IS STILL IN THERE. JENA IS ALSO GREAT

THAT 'WEASEL' HAPPENS TO BE THE MOST TALENTED, OVERALL, IMHO.

The judges have been pushing Jena, though, so who knows??

Now we know....

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/16/14 02:44 AM

Results

We meet Ryan's new puppy, Georgia (looks like a chocolate Lab)

Weekly Dinner Recap

#FordIdolJourney reveals each contestant's debut singles, should they win: Alex, "I Love This Feeling"; Jena, "We Are One"; Caleb, "As Long As You Love Me"

Jena Goes Home (Farmington Hills, MI); finds out she'll perform with Paramore on the finale

Catching up with Danny Gokey (S8, Top 3) & Elliott Yamin (S5, Top 3)

S10 winner, Scotty McCreery, performs "Feelin' It"

Alex Goes Home (Mont Vernon, NH); will perform with Jason Mraz on finale

Caleb Goes Home (Asheville, NC); will perform with KISS!!!!!! eek cool

Results........

First going to finale is.... Jena
Next is.... Caleb

Aww, poor Alex, but I think he'll do just fine.

Tue/Wed finale next week.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/16/14 07:05 PM

A little off the topic, but I can't stand it that while one of the singers is singing, the damn cameras have to keep focusing on J. Lopez. Annoying- at least to me. My family has me outnumbered and they say Jena will win.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/21/14 06:41 PM

Top 2 - Finale, Part 1

This is it, Caleb "The Rock & Roll Viking" vs Jena "The Sleeper"....

Code:
Creator Simon Fuller's Picks

B   Caleb  "Dream On"
C+  Jena   "Dog Days Are Over"

JENA was okay, a bit meh. K: Breath control, own stage; J: Good start; H: Great job

Caleb hit the note! J: That what you gotta do! H: Phenomenal, but keep power throughout; K: Disagree, arc was exceptional.

Code:
Reprise fav song of season

B   Jena   "I Can't Help Falling in Love"
B   Caleb  "Maybe I'm Amazed"

Both from Top 4 week, I give them a tie here. Neither were as special/magical as the first time we heard them. First time, Jena was #1 (A-) and Caleb #2 (B+).

JENA H: Unique and special; K: Leader, trailblazer; J: Soul comes through, goosies

CALEB K: Don't lose feeling; J: More heart, less power; H takes a vote who won the first two rounds [K: Tie, J: Jena, H: Jena]

Code:
Potential Singles for Winner

B-  Caleb   "As Long As You Love Me"
B-  Jena    "We Are One"

JENA did okay with a crappy song, good performer. J: Really good; H: Nice work; H: Perfect for you

CALEB's song sounded retro-corny, great vox of course, felt long. H: You're gonna sleep tonight, Ali vs Frazier; K: Congrats to both; J: Good luck, America!

I pretty much have these two tied at this point. JENA will likely win, but I voted for CALEB -- whom I've loved all season.

Top 12 Idols sing "Break Away"
Posted By: Footreads

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/21/14 06:53 PM

I am not going to watch these talent shows anymore. Everytime I think I know the most talented contestant they never win.

I stopped watching this show when some guy named Chris daughtry lost.

Not watching the voice uk after Sally Barker lost.

Not watching the voice USA after Sisuandra Lewis lost.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/22/14 01:33 AM

The Season Spectacle Finale

Caleb & Jena do a medley of "We Will Rock You" (Caleb) / "Just A Girl" (Jena) / "It's Only Love" (both)

Sam Woolf does "Home", then with Phillip Phillips, "Raging Free"

Jennifer Nettles does "That Girl", then with Jess, "Wrecking Ball"

J-Lo (in a skimpy outfit) performs "First Love"

Caleb and KISS perform "Love Gun / Shout It Out Loud" cool

"AI: A Bad Lip Reading" [tho I can't find it at badlipreading.com)

Aloe Blacc w/ the AI Boys do "The Man"

#FordIdolJourney - celebrity riders (for their dressing rooms) + presentation of 2015 Ford Mustangs for each finalist

Finalist mentors, Jena: Choir Director Sherry & Caleb's guitar player, Josh, are each presented with a trip to the final, plus, Ford Fusions

Demi Lovato performs "Don't Really Care", and then "Neon Lights" with the AI Girls

Jena sings "Decode", then "Ain't it Fun" with Paramore

John Legend sings "You And I", then with Malaya, "All of Me"

Season Recap video

Alex w/ Jason Mraz perform "Love Someone"

Randy presents Ryan's family, Ryan "sings" "Right Here Waiting For You", then Richard Marx helps save the day

Highlights: The Judges

Darius Rucker (Hootie) sings "True Believer", then "Alright" with Dex and CJ

Lady Antebellum performs "Bartender"

A Chat w/ Caleb and Jena's families

The 3 Judges + Randy perform "True Colors / Go Your Own Way"

Judges' Final Thoughts: K: Both Killed It; J: Agreed; H: So proud of you two

Then to each other, the finalists say, "You da bomb!"

The winner is.............

CALEB!

Wow, kinda shocked -- the hard rocker usually doesn't win.

Minutes after being given the mic, and after a group hug, Caleb finally sings parts of his single, "As Long As You Love Me" -- his album drops August 12th.

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/26/14 02:53 PM

Told ya !!

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/28/14 10:59 AM

Would you pay $50 - $60 to see the winner in concert? Of all of the winners I might buy a ticket to see Carrie Underwood or possibly Chris Daughtry. That being said, I am not really the target audience since my concert going is limited to Billy Joel (this summer in Philly), Jimmy Buffett, and the Herman's Hermits!

Re: American Idol - 2014 - 05/28/14 01:53 PM

I wouldn't pay $50.00 to see any of them. I did pay $60-70 to see Carrie Underwood.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET