Home

Sylvester Stallone

Posted By: Danito

Sylvester Stallone - 05/01/13 11:31 PM

Actor, Director, Producer, Writer, Winner of the Golden Raspberry for Worst Actor of the Century.
Your opinion about him?
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 01:14 AM

I remember seeing an interview with Stallone. I think it was with Oprah. She asked him if after all the "Yo, Adrienne!" jokes, was he laughing all the way to the bank? And he smiled sweetly and replied, "I don't know about laughing, but I may have giggled a few times."

He's actually a very intelligent man and I understand that he has quite the impressive and extensive art collection.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 01:20 AM

He took a real chance insisting that he play the lead in Rocky. Anyone who can accomplish what he has in Hollywood and remain a pretty decent guy deserves accolades. Besides he's a paisan.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
He took a real chance insisting that he play the lead in Rocky. Anyone who can accomplish what he has in Hollywood and remain a pretty decent guy deserves accolades. Besides he's a paisan.

I think the unspoken tragedy of Stallone's career is that his break-out part was an Oscar-nominated, dramatic part...but the rest of his career oriented around action movies. Some were terrific, but really that pigeonholed him and in some cases, wasted that talent. The fateful period was the late 70s when dramas F.I.S.T. and PARADISE ALLEY flopped and FIRST BLOOD was his first hit non-ROCKY movie.

But even as an action figure, he sure made some dumb choices. What the hell was he thinking with OVER THE TOP, the world's sole (so far) movie about arm wrestling?

Still he was involved in some good movies. ROCKY, CLIFFHANGER, COPLAND, FIRST BLOOD, hell I actually enjoyed his recent BULLET TO THE HEAD which critics and audiences ignored. I also have a fondness for the flawed but entertaining DEMOLITION MAN.

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 02:10 AM

Reminds me of what Stallone wrote in the jacket of the "Rocky" album. He desperately wished that he could write music because he felt that nobody else could capture the raw emotion that was essential as the soundtrack to this film.

When Bill Conti played the Rocky theme for him the first time, Stallone couldn't believe his ears. He felt that it perfectly matched characters that were "human ships crashing in the night". He realized that he should have known that Bill Conti was up to the task because, after all, he is Italian.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 02:13 AM

Tho I gotta say I've not seen many of his recent films (honestly many don't appeal to me), but I loved Sly right from Rocky (btw, I credit The Italian Stallion with my variation of my GF BB name) wink

While I loved Rocky, I find the Rambo films appeal to me more. I agree with SB, Sly is actually very intelligent. I always looked forward to seeing him when he was on Johnny Carson because not only is he down to earth, he's got a great sense of humor too. Worst actor of the Century? NO way IMHO

Then again, like Oli says, he is a paisan. smile

One more story I know I've mentioned before. Many years ago (15/20) a co-worker's husband did some cement/pool work at Sly's Beverly Hills home. (Damn was I jealous). Anyway,long story short. He told Sly that his wife worked with a huge fan AND that she was Italian too. LOL What I found to be incredibly sweet is, he went in the house got an 8X10 Rambo pics (must have them handy?) lol Anyway, he autographed it "To my Spaghetti Sister, Love Sly" smile So yea, I say he's down to earth and even tho I don't see many of his movies anymore, I still like him. Never met him but have his autograph.

TIS
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 10:53 AM

I like him. Absolutely love the Rocky movies, especially the first two.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 03:59 PM

First Blood is a classic.. I like Sly..

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 04:58 PM

Oh yea, I LOVE First Blood. Good story and Sly was so hot!! smile

I also liked Cobra, Tango & Cash oh, and Cliffhanger. Talk about phobias. Just watching some of those shots made my stomach do flip flops. panic

Tho it got trashed, I didn't hate Rhinestone as much as the critics.But for God's sake, Sly should NEVER sing again. Talk about no voice. lol

TIS

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 05:59 PM

I liked FIST. I thought it was pretty good, and I never understood the bad reviews. My favorite role of his, though, is in "Copland", it was so out of the box for him.

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I liked FIST. I thought it was pretty good, and I never understood the bad reviews. My favorite role of his, though, is in "Copland", it was so out of the box for him.

Oh yea, I liked FIST too as well as Copland. I forgot about those two. I even didn't mind his first (I think)film "Lords of Flatbush". I remember seeing previews on tv as the movie was released. I thought to myself..."hmmm, who's THAT guy?" smile

Sly is now stereotype as a Rocky/Rambo and it's hard to break that mold for many. Just like Bruce Willis will always be John McClain. ohwell All good characters but unfortunate for the actors.

TIS
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/02/13 11:10 PM

TIS, Sly and Willis aren't compatable. In fact Sly wishes he has the freedom Willis enjoys.

Yes the bread and butter that pays Willis' bills are action movies, but his terrific everyman quality and great comic charisma and willingness to wear his age on his sleeve has allowed him to be casted in many non-action movies, some even pretty darn respectable award-winning pictures.

PULP FICTION, 12 MONKEYS, LOOPER, WHOLE NINE YARDS*, UNBERAKABLE, THE SIXTH SENSE, SIN CITY, MOONRISE KINGDOM, etc.

Then add in his action movies and overall you have a pretty good, pretty underrated career.

*=Only time in existence that Matthew Perry was tolerable. That's a miracle done by St. Bruno. Too bad he shared no magic for that wretched sequel.
Posted By: Danito

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/03/13 08:09 AM

I respect Stallone for his struggles and his dedication.
But as an actor? Seriously, he can put on two faces: The innocent dog, and the angry fighter.
Has he ever played a complex role?
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/03/13 09:11 AM

Was never a fan of STOP OR MY MOM WILL SHOOT though...or his re-make of GET CARTER. The original can't be touched in my humble opinion!
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/08/13 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Danito
I respect Stallone for his struggles and his dedication.
But as an actor? Seriously, he can put on two faces: The innocent dog, and the angry fighter.
Has he ever played a complex role?

I agree. He has the acting range of Tony Danza. I liked some of the Rocky and Rambo movies, but I never found him to be a very good actor.
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/08/13 06:58 PM

Remember Cobra? lol

Marion Cobretti: "You're the disease, and I'm the cure."

Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/08/13 08:45 PM

"Tango and Cash" is one of my favorite bad movies. smile

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/08/13 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou

FUBAR lol
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/08/13 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou

FUBAR lol

wink lol

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/14/13 08:13 PM

I'm watching him in Oscar. Remember that one from 1991? Not an oscar-winning movie or performance, but it's amusing. By the way, Kirk Douglas is in it.

Actually, the opera singing puppet at the opening credits is the best part of the film.

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/14/13 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
I'm watching him in Oscar. Remember that one from 1991? Not an oscar-winning movie or performance, but it's amusing. By the way, Kirk Douglas is in it.

Actually, the opera singing puppet at the opening credits is the best part of the film.

Yea, Oscar was not one of my favorites either. However, I really didn't like Judge Dredd. I only went cause it was a Sly film and I don't even remember (or care) what it was about. rolleyes

TIS
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/17/13 05:37 PM

liked the Rocky series, but thought Stallone really shined in Cliffhanger. Great climbing shots and I think he did most of his own stunts
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/17/13 07:54 PM

My favourite films Sly stars in is Rambo 2 while my worst is Spy Kids 3D. Like some other people said in this thread though the guy's aa good action star but he simply can't act.

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/17/13 07:57 PM

His anger impresses me about as much as Cruise's. I just don't buy it.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/19/13 06:52 PM

Way back in 1976 when Rocky premiered my wife and I went to see it at the old Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, NY (you know the one SB!). We didn't know what to expect. Who knew.

When Rocky is on AMC or TNT or ?, I'll watch it, or parts. Last time I saw it, I was struck by how many times he said, "ya know what I mean?" I got to wondering if that was a Philly expression. I work with South Jersey (Philly) folks. They say it all the time, and it drives me nuts.

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/19/13 07:10 PM

The Lafayette is a great theater, and we saw Bernie Williams in concert a few years ago. He and his band were surprisingly good.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 05/20/13 01:43 AM

The Lafayette is a great theater, and we saw Bernie Williams in concert a few years ago. He and his band were surprisingly good.

Bernie Williams is awesome
Posted By: Pilsner

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 06/11/13 08:55 PM

I couldn’t stand Judge Dredd. The worst part about it was that Stallone didn’t shoot Rob Schneider.
Posted By: jace

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 07/01/13 06:07 AM

Any time we see the headline "A Rambo type gunman burst into a bank" or hear someone say "I'll go all Rambo on you" that is from a character Stallone made and starred as. Same for Rocky, every comeback a politician or athlete makes is called "A Rocky-like comeback" He has starred as two different characters who are now part of culture. He is not great actor, but is likable.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 07/29/13 10:08 PM

MGM & Stallone in talks to do a movie about Apollo Creed's grandson the boxer called; "Creed"... no joke!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/24/fruitvale-station-sylvester-stallone-apollo-creed-movie/
Posted By: jace

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 07/31/13 06:42 AM

The Rocky movies get sillier as they go along, but they must make a lot of money.
As an actor Stallone is a joke, but he can laugh all the way to the bank.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Sylvester Stallone - 07/31/13 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark
MGM & Stallone in talks to do a movie about Apollo Creed's grandson the boxer called; "Creed"... no joke!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/24/fruitvale-station-sylvester-stallone-apollo-creed-movie/

Say it aint so Sly.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET