Home

"vast wasteland"

Posted By: olivant

"vast wasteland" - 04/09/13 03:41 AM

We're approaching the 52nd year anniversary of former FCC Chairman Newton Minow's "vast wasteland" speech. The following is an excerpt:

"When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better. But when television is bad, nothing is worse. [it is a]vast wasteland."

What do you think? Is TV a vast wasteland? During your lifetime has it gotten better, worse, or remained the same?

Here's a link to his entire speech: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_Speech
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: "vast wasteland" - 04/09/13 07:11 AM

I only argue that the internet is the best of all, you can get what you want then and there. It's your news paper, movie theater, TV, etc. Right now I prefer TV to movies. I'd be better off if TV wasn't this good and addictive, since a movies is at most 4 hours; but a TV series would become part of your life for days and years. Sometimes for the better, right now it is my refuge and sanctuary from the actual world.

I liked old TV series such as "I love Lucy" just as well as not so old series "Cheers." I see many current TV series and enjoy them. It's become better, but only because I prefer the recent times, compared to the more restricted attitudes of the old days. Also the better visuals, better aspect ratio, better screens, etc. Right now TV is a big part of my life, for the better or worse.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: "vast wastelanI d" - 04/29/13 05:48 PM

I remember Minnow's speech well. (BTW: He was Adlai Stevenson's law partner, which is how he got the FCC job.) Caused a tremendous uproar in the broadcasting industry because it also resonated with a contemporary concern: were violence and vapidity corrupting kids' minds? That was the era when TV was referred to as "the Boob Tube."

If you include cable, TV is far better today because it offers a greater variety of programming, much of it with high quality writing and acting; as well as documentaries with thoughtful comment. Broadcast TV, which was Minnow's target, has been pulled upward somewhat by competition from cable, but it still has plenty of violence and vapidity. PBS stands out.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET