Home

Mad Men

Posted By: Dapper_Don

Mad Men - 04/06/13 06:43 PM

Figured that with The Walking Dead done for this season, most people (I know I am) will start watching Mad Men so I decided to start a thread to discuss the show and its upcoming episodes.

With that being said, Like TIS stated in the WD thread the show has been off the air for so long without any new episodes I feel like I have also forgotten what happened last season. I will read up on wikipedia.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Mad Men - 04/06/13 08:40 PM

Hi DD,

Yea, I think I'll go to "On Demand" and try to catch up.

I really enjoyed the first couple seasons and sort of drifted from it but always went back to try to catch up. I get a real kick especially cause I can relate to much of the 60's styles, events and such.

I like that they covered in first season or so, JFK assassination and how everyone was tuned in to the tv. How about the scene (Last season I believe) where the young Black woman gets a job in the office. OMG such a big deal??? uhwhat The 60s wasn't that long ago.

Oh, and when Don and his co-worker went to a Stones concert and got high while talking to some young girls waiting in line. LOL It WAS a sign of the times. lol

I really don't think Don & his new wife will make it. I kind of feel sorry for his first wife Betty and don't like her husband. I do have to go review last season but it's nice to know someone else will be watching.

Not as good as WD though. wink

TIS
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Mad Men - 04/06/13 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
The 60s wasn't that long ago.

Don't kid yourself, Tis. We're getting old lol.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Mad Men - 04/06/13 09:29 PM

It took me a while to get into Mad Men but now I'm definitely a watcher. Comparing it to Walking Dead is obviously a case of apples and oranges. I was OK with Walking Dead ending for the season because I still have Man Men and Game of Thrones. Still not sure exactly when Breaking Bad starts up again in the summer.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Mad Men - 04/06/13 10:27 PM

Looking forward to MM but i tend to wait for the DVD to come out instead of watching it on TV so i guess i'll have to wait longer. I don't a have cable/Sky TV so cant watch the shows i like- Boardwalk Empire/Breaking Bad/Greys Anatomy/MM so i buy the box-set. The only programme i watch week by week is the Walking dead and i stream that online.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Mad Men - 04/07/13 08:23 AM

Watched the first 2 series of MM and then just sort of stopped. I liked it but my wife didn't, which was probably why i stopped lol
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Mad Men - 04/07/13 08:56 AM

Should have put your foot down Yogi and told her you are watching it.. wink

Re: Mad Men - 04/07/13 02:11 PM

Fortunately On Demand has the last five episodes of last season and I got to catch up. Actually I enjoyed the refreshing. smile Lots of stories within the story. Every character seems to have his/her own issues. lol

smile

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/07/13 04:05 PM

Not as good as WD though. wink

TIS

IDK about that one, WD def grew on me. But Mad Men was the first AMC show I started to watch religiously and it is really really good in my opinion. LIke Ivy stated, both are o different that its unfair to compare them to each other. But all three (including Breaking Bad) are top notch. Mad Men paved the way for the success of WD and Breaking Bad in their own right by creating credibility for the network with audiences which led to them checking out these shows.

Re: Mad Men - 04/07/13 04:17 PM

Well I DO like Mad Men, but for me it was getting a little dry compared to the first couple seasons. ohwell I suppose at some point WD will as well (just like True Blood, which lost my interest). I do plan to watch, especially now that I'm a little caught up/refreshed. I guess it's a matter of taste.

TIS
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Mad Men - 04/07/13 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
I liked it but my wife didn't, which was probably why i stopped lol

There's a lot of that going around, Yogi lol.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Mad Men - 04/07/13 06:48 PM

I don't care for it.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Mad Men - 04/08/13 07:18 AM

I'll be watching this as well. But what I really can't wait for is Breaking Bad.

Re: Mad Men - 04/08/13 03:20 PM

I only watched maybe the first hour and fell asleep. frown I will catch the entire episode ON DEMAND later today maybe. The portion I did see was ok, but nothing major IMHO.

For those who watch, Bates Motel is on tonight.

TIS
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Mad Men - 04/08/13 03:50 PM

Just finished watching the premiere, it was an interesting start to the season but in all honesty it was quite a depressing episode. It seemed like all Don and Roger had on their mind all episode was death, with Dons suicide pitch and conversations with the guy who briefly died(Carmine jr from Sopranos i believe) and the doctor about death. As well as Rogers mother and shoesine lol dying.And where did that kid Sandy appear from lol?

Re: Mad Men - 04/08/13 04:07 PM

Huffington Post has an article indicating Draper's "Dark" side. I didn't read it all cause of spoilers. However, they did ask what year were they in last night's episode. Anyone know?

smile

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/08/13 04:12 PM

Huffington Post has an article indicating Draper's "Dark" side. I didn't read it all cause of spoilers. However, they did ask what year were they in last night's episode. Anyone know?

smile

TIS

I don't know the answer the only thing i can think off of the top of my head that may point towards the answer was something about US soldiers cutting off Vietnamese soldiers ears and keeping them as necklaces being in the news at the time. Also LBJ is mentioned in the episode so i'm guessing it's sometime during his full term 1965-1969.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Mad Men - 04/09/13 11:38 AM

I have been a MM fan from the start but was really disapointed with this seasons premiere episode. Really hoppe they pick up the pace . Agree that they were off the air for so long that people have forgotten about them or just found new shows to watch. Big mistake for the producers

Re: Mad Men - 04/09/13 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bigboy
I have been a MM fan from the start but was really disapointed with this seasons premiere episode. Really hoppe they pick up the pace . Agree that they were off the air for so long that people have forgotten about them or just found new shows to watch. Big mistake for the producers

What disappointed you about the premiere? I thought it set off alot of potentially great storylines. I agree that it wasn't a great episode but i expected that sort of start to the season.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Mad Men - 04/10/13 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Should have put your foot down Yogi and told her you are watching it.. wink

Pointless me trying to play the tough guy in our house mate, my wife hard as nails sick wink
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Mad Men - 04/14/13 06:14 PM

I watched (and enjoyed) the first season, but never got around to the rest, for one reason or another. I really gotta renew my Netflix! lol
Posted By: jace

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 04:15 AM

I love the historical aspect of the show. I watched it at a friends other day, and her mother was discussing the show with us. She said a few things were off, on that bothered her was the Marylyn Monroe death episode. She said women of that era were not crying when news broke, as was portrayed on show.

I love the way the hairstyles of some main characters changed since last season!

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: jace
I love the historical aspect of the show. I watched it at a friends other day, and her mother was discussing the show with us. She said a few things were off, on that bothered her was the Marylyn Monroe death episode. She said women of that era were not crying when news broke, as was portrayed on show.

I love the way the hairstyles of some main characters changed since last season!

I've got no idea what the 60's where like of course but i always found that part ridiculous as well as the part where all woman dressed as either Marilyn or Jackie Kennedy.

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

I've got no idea what the 60's where like of course but i always found that part ridiculous as well as the part where all woman dressed as either Marilyn or Jackie Kennedy.

I can't say EVERY woman dressed like Jackie BUT she definitely was a trend setter with her hair styles, and remember the pill box hat which is automatically associated with Jackie. I was very young at the time but Jackie was absolutely a fashionesta of her time. Even then I'd look forward to seeing what she was wearing. smile I imagine part of the appeal was also the fact that we had never had such a young family in the White House.

As far as Marylin, I remember being at a family reunion picnic when we heard of Marylin's death. I can't say anyone was crying, but it was very shocking.

Another Mad Man scene I can relate to is the one where Don and his business partner went to the Rolling Stones concert. Two young girls offered them a joint right there in the lobby/hallway. NOT uncommon back then. I remember once going to a concert at the Detroit Fair Grounds (unfortunately NOT the Stones). As we were walking in the gate you'd hear various people saying kind of quietly, "Weed, Reds," etc. I was kind of amazed it was so blatant.

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 06:07 PM

I can't say EVERY woman dressed like Jackie BUT she definitely was a trend setter with her hair styles, and remember the pill box hat which is automatically associated with Jackie.

TIS

Definitely true. By the way TIS, do you remember the long gloves that women wore?

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 06:11 PM

I sure do Oli. Also I remember for a while, her hair style was quite popular as well.

smile

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 08:18 PM

I sure do Oli. Also I remember for a while, her hair style was quite popular as well.

smile

TIS

Those were the years of the Dick Van Dyke Show. Laura copied much of Jackie's fashion.

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 11:15 PM

This season has been good so far, the first episode was a bit slow in my opinion but the most recent episode was very good IMO.

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 11:18 PM

It's ok so far but not great. I can't believe what a jerk Don is turning out to be. mad And Peggy now his business competition.

smile

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 11:24 PM

It's ok so far but not great. I can't believe what a jerk Don is turning out to be. mad And Peggy now his business competition.

smile

TIS

Don, a jerk? You must be kidding? Jk, haha.It seems to me he is the same old Don from the previous seasons for the most part.

I am happy Peggy's career is taking off and the show is not neglecting her storyline (which I thought they might), she is a very interesting character imo.

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 11:29 PM

Btw, what ever happened to Peggy's baby from the first couple seasons? I must have missed something. confused

Also, they don't show too much of Betty these days. Not to be a man basher in this thread, but her husband is a jerk too no? LOL Come to think of it, who is the "nice" guy???? confused

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 11:32 PM

Btw, what ever happened to Peggy's baby from the first couple seasons? I must have missed something. confused

TIS

In the Season 2 finale, when she told Pete she had his baby she said she gave it away two years before.

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 11:34 PM

Also, they don't show too much of Betty these days. Not to be a man basher in this thread, but her husband is a jerk too no? LOL Come to think of it, who is the "nice" guy???? confused

TIS

They just had that episode of Betty looking for that girl with the violin or whatever her instrument was. I never liked Henry. I laughed when she namedropped his name to the cop trying to get out of the ticket and she still got it.

Re: Mad Men - 04/24/13 11:36 PM

LOL Yea, that sort of backfired. She never looks happy. lol

Oh, and Joan was mean to the two secretaries wasn't she. She's getting to be a bitch sometimes. lol

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/25/13 12:02 AM

LOL Yea, that sort of backfired. She never looks happy. lol

Oh, and Joan was mean to the two secretaries wasn't she. She's getting to be a bitch sometimes. lol

TIS

Yep, I didnt like the way she treated them. Interesting how it lead to Harry finally speaking up about feeling unappreciated and his ultimatum to STDP. That was enjoyable.

Re: Mad Men - 04/25/13 12:09 AM

Yes, good for Harry. I can imagine, during that time, seeing a woman as a partner really pissed him off, feeling passed over.

Joan,by prostituting herself basically, for the company, has gotten some leverage because of it. She'll likely be able to milk it out for a while. LOL

smile
TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/25/13 12:10 AM

Yep, too bad for those who busted their humps everyday and got passed over (like Harry for instance).

Re: Mad Men - 04/27/13 06:42 AM

I think Don is a jerk too. So are a few others. I guess writers do it to set up situations for characters. Myself, I don't like watching people making a lot of money crying, agonizing, and putting selves in dumb predicaments. Don and that neighbor will be caught, probably by the husband. Jon Hamm is great actor, and very handsome man. I don't want to see him cry, vomit, or act depressed all the time.

Re: Mad Men - 04/27/13 03:32 PM

Just thinking, are there ANY characters in the show you'd consider likeable??? At first I thought maybe Peggy, but she seems to be "changing". I can't think of one character, that I'd like. Well, maybe the new Black secretary. She seems real. Isn't there usually one character you might feel sympathetic toward? I don't know if I'd trust any of the Mad Men characters. lol

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/27/13 04:47 PM

Hi TIS! smile

I always liked Joan. Peggy too. I still feel sympathetic toward them.

Re: Mad Men - 04/27/13 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Hi TIS! smile

I always liked Joan. Peggy too. I still feel sympathetic toward them.

Hey Afs (and kudos to you for your patience. wink You really hang in there).

Yea, I'm not sure where Peggy's gonna go but she seems to have changed; and Joan surprised me with her one-nighter for the sake of the business. lol Then again, it's paying off for her. LOL I still don't find any of the characters very "likeable" for some reason. Then again, maybe they aren't suppose to be.

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/27/13 05:14 PM

Yea, I'm not sure where Peggy's gonna go but she seems to have changed; and Joan surprised me with her one-nighter for the sake of the business. lol Then again, it's paying off for her. LOL I still don't find any of the characters very "likeable" for some reason. Then again, maybe they aren't suppose to be.

TIS

Thanks TIS. smile

Yeah, I think everyone has their grey areas, and that makes them human. You know when you look at the whole picture, I think Joan and Peggy are ahead of the rest. For instance they are far better than Pete who makes me cringe whenever he is on the screen. ohwell

Re: Mad Men - 04/27/13 05:20 PM

TIS

Thanks TIS. smile

Yeah, I think everyone has their grey areas, and that makes them human. You know when you look at the whole picture, I think Joan and Peggy are ahead of the rest. For instance they are far better than Pete who makes me cringe whenever he is on the screen. ohwell

Oh yes, Pete, I agree. He is a real slimeball. What do you think of Don's wife?

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/27/13 05:34 PM

Oh yes, Pete, I agree. He is a real slimeball. What do you think of Don's wife?

TIS

I feel sorry for her, but not that strongly. wink It ranges from indifference to slight pity. She doesn't know what she has gotten herself into with Don; he seems to be this guy that always has something on the side of his marriage in order to punish himself just because he feels awful about himself. And on top of that, she doesn't like what she is good at, which is advertising, but digs what she can't have: A career in acting. She is in for a rude awakening I'm afraid.

Re: Mad Men - 04/30/13 01:55 PM

I didn't get to watch Sunday's episode until last night. It was the best of the season thus far IMHO. smile

I love in particular how the show has reflected major incidents of the time. Probably because I remember them. When they were at the awards dinner and someone shouted that Dr. King was dead, I had to rewind because I wasn't sure what happened. Then the riots, turmoil, fear, etc. They briefly covered JFK's assassination and RFK's was in June of 68, so i assume they'll touch on that Very reflective of the times/tensions. frown

I don't like Peggy's new boss/company but am glad she seemed to show a little compassion toward her boyfriend regarding the apartment. I'm guessing she'll go back with the Draper company. Oh, and I imagine 28,000 for an apartment in NY back in the 60's was quite a bit of money no?

I read before I saw the episode that critics were surprised that when Don & his son went to see Planet Of The Apes, that the show gave away the ending of the movie. I suppose if I hadn't seen it, I'd be disappointed, but then again, most have seen it I would think.

Don's admission in the end about how he felt about his kids? uhwhat Wow, the guy has issues but hey, he was honest. And I sort of felt bad for Megan, who is pregnant.

On a sidenote, the guy who plays Mike (I think that's his name). You know, the guy who's father fixed him up on a date without him knowing? Especially that scene in the restaurant, is it just me, or did I see shades of a young Pacino? I don't know this actor, but especially during that scene something reminded me of Pacino. Take another look if you can.

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 05/01/13 09:42 AM

Hi TIS! smile

I just got to watch this episode. I don't think Megan is pregnant. She just had a miscarriage, or said she did in the last episode. But she said that she felt guilty that it happened and she was relieved of having to make a decision.

I liked that scene about Don's admission. I always felt that not everyone loves their kids. Some shouldn't become parents at all, I think the peer pressure and society's expectancy gets better of many into becoming parents, while they are obviously not feeling that they should.

You are talking about the young Jewish copywriter Michael Ginsberg. When I watched it, I didn't feel like he looked liked Pacino, but when I read your post I had to check it out again and you could say he is a Pacino lookalike I suppose. grin

Re: Mad Men - 05/01/13 12:42 PM

Hi TIS! smile

I just got to watch this episode. I don't think Megan is pregnant. She just had a miscarriage, or said she did in the last episode. But she said that she felt guilty that it happened and she was relieved of having to make a decision.

I liked that scene about Don's admission. I always felt that not everyone loves their kids. Some shouldn't become parents at all, I think the peer pressure and society's expectancy gets better of many into becoming parents, while they are obviously not feeling that they should.

You are talking about the young Jewish copywriter Michael Ginsberg. When I watched it, I didn't feel like he looked liked Pacino, but when I read your post I had to check it out again and you could say he is a Pacino lookalike I suppose. grin

Hi Afs,

Well, was more referring to his voice, his style more than his looks. For whatever reason, mostly in the restaurant scene, Pacino came to mind. confused

Oh, and that's right, I forgot about Megan's miscarriage. It's on at 10:00 p.m. here and for me, I'm usually falling asleep and catch it again on "On Demand."

Anyway, I did like that episode.

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 05/01/13 05:02 PM

Oh, TIS, been there, done that. Last night I tried to watch Revenge at 11 pm and fell sleep 5 minutes into it. lol

Re: Mad Men - 05/09/13 09:48 PM

Have been watching since middle of season 1. This year it seems more convoluted and at times boring. I suspect Don & Megyns marriage will fail. Roger seems to have slowed down a bit, Joan is turning into a bitch, and Pete has turned into a major asshole. Other than that, I like it

Re: Mad Men - 05/14/13 01:27 PM

I got to watch Sunday's episode last night. Don't know how Don & Ted working together will work out. Peggy doesn't seem to pleased with Don's influence on Ted does she? As far as Ted goes, I still haven't really figured him out. Don't know if he's a "good guy" or not.

Bob seems to have taken a liking to Joan and Joan seems bitchier by each episode. I think having a share in the company has gone to her head. And Pete is another cold hearted character that seems to only care about work. Tries to dump his mom on his brother. lol

And WTF is up with Don, controlling Sylvia in the hotel room? LOL "crawl on your knees" "stay in bed until I come back", "Don't answer the phone again." uhwhat

I have always liked how they incorporate news events of the time as a backdrop to their story (JFK/MLK assassination, the riots of 67 and earlier a Stones concert) and last night ending with RFK's assassination showing actual news footage. Though, I must say ending with the song "Reach Out In The Darkness" seemed out of place for that particular ending. Maybe it's just me.

All and all though, I gotta say, the show is losing my interest. ohwell

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 05/15/13 06:47 AM

I got to watch Sunday's episode last night. Don't know how Don & Ted working together will work out. Peggy doesn't seem to pleased with Don's influence on Ted does she? As far as Ted goes, I still haven't really figured him out. Don't know if he's a "good guy" or not.

Bob seems to have taken a liking to Joan and Joan seems bitchier by each episode. I think having a share in the company has gone to her head. And Pete is another cold hearted character that seems to only care about work. Tries to dump his mom on his brother. lol

And WTF is up with Don, controlling Sylvia in the hotel room? LOL "crawl on your knees" "stay in bed until I come back", "Don't answer the phone again." uhwhat

I have always liked how they incorporate news events of the time as a backdrop to their story (JFK/MLK assassination, the riots of 67 and earlier a Stones concert) and last night ending with RFK's assassination showing actual news footage. Though, I must say ending with the song "Reach Out In The Darkness" seemed out of place for that particular ending. Maybe it's just me.

TIS

I am losing interest at times too. They made Don too creepy. I watch it day later to zip though the commercials, which are way too many. I like the new character, Chough, who was flying plane. I liked that plane scene.

Re: Mad Men - 05/16/13 02:07 AM

Really? To me the season is just starting to get good. The episode before last was real good imo.

Re: Mad Men - 05/16/13 02:10 AM

I watch it day later to zip though the commercials, which are way too many.

When the show first aired, they had one commercial break for like 5-7 minutes at the 30 minutes mark of the hour. That was great, but now I completely agree with you with the mass success/appeal of the show companies have had a field day advertising and the network keeps showing commercials every few minutes. Almost (not quite) makes me want to stream it online the day after just so I dont have to deal with the commercials.

Re: Mad Men - 05/16/13 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

Really? To me the season is just starting to get good. The episode before last was real good imo.

DD,

I did like the episode before last too. It WAS the best of the season so far. I'll likely finish this season but unless it takes a turn for the better I might not tune in next season. I don't hate it, I just don't like it as much as I once did. It's getting dry for lack of a better word.

smile

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 05/16/13 08:53 PM

Now with the two agencies merging, There will be a bigger selection of women for Don to move on. Agree W/ Jace too many commercials. I always copy and watch thet day. next day

Re: Mad Men - 05/18/13 05:37 AM

I'll likely finish this season but unless it takes a turn for the better I might not tune in next season. I don't hate it, I just don't like it as much as I once did. It's getting dry for lack of a better word.

smile

TIS

Hi TIS. If I'm not mistaken, this is the last season of Man Men.

Re: Mad Men - 05/19/13 04:01 AM

I'll likely finish this season but unless it takes a turn for the better I might not tune in next season. I don't hate it, I just don't like it as much as I once did. It's getting dry for lack of a better word.

smile

TIS

I heard after season 5 there were going to be 2 more seasons with season 7 ending at the end of 1969. They may have since chaanged their minds though.

Re: Mad Men - 05/19/13 05:25 AM

smile

TIS

I heard after season 5 there were going to be 2 more seasons with season 7 ending at the end of 1969. They may have since chaanged their minds though.

Oh dear. Another season? ohwell

Re: Mad Men - 05/19/13 03:17 PM

I wasn't aware that this "could be" the last season, in which case I'm sure I'll finish it. Still, we don't know what's gonna happen and after so long I may continue to watch. Depends I guess. wink

Btw, they are not showing much of Betty this season are they?

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 05/19/13 03:37 PM

This is Season 6, there will be a final Season 7.

"Mad Men Season 5 proved to be the most polarizing in the show’s history to date (it even failed to snag a Golden Globe nod for Best TV Drama), but its themes of social, political and cultural upheaval – coupled with the emergence of modern domestic dissatisfaction – resonated with even the more critical viewers and fans.

Thus, anticipation remains high for the return of the Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce staff, following the S5 finale – and its ominous conclusion - but proceeding what has been acknowledged as the penultimate season, before we learn Don Draper’s (Jon Hamm) ultimate fate in the seventh season."

http://screenrant.com/mad-men-season-6-premiere-date-season-7/

Re: Mad Men - 05/19/13 03:39 PM

DD,

I did like the episode before last too. It WAS the best of the season so far. I'll likely finish this season but unless it takes a turn for the better I might not tune in next season. I don't hate it, I just don't like it as much as I once did. It's getting dry for lack of a better word.

smile

TIS

Interesting, for me I have watched all the episodes and am too invested in the show now to stop watching it before it ends.

Re: Mad Men - 05/19/13 03:43 PM

This is Season 6, there will be a final Season 7.

"Mad Men Season 5 proved to be the most polarizing in the show’s history to date (it even failed to snag a Golden Globe nod for Best TV Drama), but its themes of social, political and cultural upheaval – coupled with the emergence of modern domestic dissatisfaction – resonated with even the more critical viewers and fans.

Thus, anticipation remains high for the return of the Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce staff, following the S5 finale – and its ominous conclusion - but proceeding what has been acknowledged as the penultimate season, before we learn Don Draper’s (Jon Hamm) ultimate fate in the seventh season."

http://screenrant.com/mad-men-season-6-premiere-date-season-7/

The "social, political & cultural upheaval" backdrop during that time is one thing I like very much about the show. smile

"Don Draper's ultimate fate?" confused Hmmm sounds intriguing.

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 05/19/13 04:13 PM

The "social, political & cultural upheaval" backdrop during that time is one thing I like very much about the show. smile

"Don Draper's ultimate fate?" confused Hmmm sounds intriguing.

TIS

Maybe Don gets arrested for going AWOL/identity theft?

Re: Mad Men - 05/20/13 02:20 PM

Last night's really sucked in my opinion. My wife will no longer watch it. Don Draper is getting very weird as are some of the "Kids" who work there

Re: Mad Men - 05/20/13 02:29 PM

Ok, I fell asleep and missed last night's episode. I plan to watch On Demand later.

smile

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 05/21/13 07:15 AM

This show has gone totally downhill. Now everyone is sleazy, and idiotic. Peggy has been dumbed down to point where she is kissing anyone who tries to give her kiss. Don is mental case. The flashbacks and hallucinations come so often, I thought the part with lady burglar was a daydream/nightmare of Dons. I felt like I was watching different show then the one I had come to like, it was even worse than previous week. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not watched, but --skip to next post if you don't want to see---Harry Hamlin's revelation in office at end about the girl made me more disgusted.

Re: Mad Men - 05/22/13 12:45 PM

I'm tending to agree with Jace. I too thought the lady burgler (aka grandma LOL) was a dream or something. Got more of a sense of how Don was raised in last episode though. But yea, he's really sliding downhill isn't he?

smile

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 05/27/13 04:54 PM

Great episode last night. I immediately noticed that Betty was no longer looking all bloated/fat which had been the case in recent memory. Once that was apparent, it was only a matter of time before her and Don hit the sack together once again.

Re: Mad Men - 05/27/13 05:17 PM

Great episode last night. I immediately noticed that Betty was no longer looking all bloated/fat which had been the case in recent memory. Once that was apparent, it was only a matter of time before her and Don hit the sack together once again.

She was only fat because January Jones was pregnant so the writers made the eating disorder storyline.

Re: Mad Men - 05/27/13 05:36 PM

She was only fat because January Jones was pregnant so the writers made the eating disorder storyline.

I know, I know.

Re: Mad Men - 05/27/13 08:15 PM

I didn't know that January Jones was pregnant but in real life but did wonder why she was so much more slender now. Don't know that I was surprised at Don & Betty hooking up.

I WAS surprised at Peggy accidentally stabbing Abe. lol Ouch!!

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 05/27/13 08:22 PM

I WAS surprised at Peggy accidentally stabbing Abe. lol Ouch!!

TIS

I thought it might have been a dream at first, didnt turn out that way. lol

Re: Mad Men - 05/29/13 04:54 AM

That scene was really funny. Poor Peggy. Her boyfriend was just studying her for his article.
Posted By: Frank_Nitti

Re: Mad Men - 05/29/13 03:32 PM

"Joan goes to the beach" is probably the most exciting episode description Mad Men has ever had. Lookout, beach.

And I didn't know Naked Eyes' "Always Something There To Remind Me" was a cover, written by Burt Bacharach!

Re: Don Draper's ultimate fate, for anyone interested in spoilers here's an article on the real life mad man
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazi...rticle=0#artanc

Re: Mad Men - 05/30/13 06:33 AM

Finally, a good episode. All the characters are nuts, but I have come to expect that. The only sane one is Peggy, maybe Joan too. That guy Chough---Peggy finally breaks up with her boyfriend, he acts like a kook, all pop-eyed and clueless?
I liked his character till that scene. Bob, the office guy, is strange, he seems to be spoofing a character from 1960's sit-com. Betty is nut case. I was hoping her husband walked in on her and Don, and murdered at least one of them. With an axe. Hey, I like a cool plot twist, and I am tired of Don.
Posted By: Frank_Nitti

Re: Mad Men - 06/05/13 11:13 PM

Latest Mad Men fan theory suggests that maybe—just maybe—Megan Draper is already dead

Re: Mad Men - 06/06/13 10:00 PM

Finally got around to watching Sunday's episode. Not a bad one. smile Love Joan's spunk and especially that it pisses off Pete so much. smile Never thought about it but got a chuckle when the Avon rep said to Joan & Peggy "Hippies don't wear make-up." Ah yes, all plain & natural look. lol

Background of the political atmosphere is always an authentic touch that adds to the feel of the time also.

The Draper hallucinations caught me off guard especially when I see Megan there. Seeing him face down in the pool was a surprise but confirmed what was going on. He obviously was doing more than smoking pot.

I would be surprised if Megan is really dead but who knows. They never did show her in the episode. Last reference to her was when Don asked his secretary to get a hold of his wife.

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 06/10/13 06:08 AM

Originally Posted By: bigboy
Last night's really sucked in my opinion. My wife will no longer watch it. Don Draper is getting very weird as are some of the "Kids" who work there

Weird is being kind, they are downright creepy, especially Don. I just watched last weeks show, and kept fearing a flashback or dream sequence, sure enough, we had a long one.

Re: Mad Men - 06/10/13 06:12 AM

Finally got around to watching Sunday's episode. Not a bad one. smile Love Joan's spunk and especially that it pisses off Pete so much. smile Never thought about it but got a chuckle when the Avon rep said to Joan & Peggy "Hippies don't wear make-up." Ah yes, all plain & natural look. lol

Background of the political atmosphere is always an authentic touch that adds to the feel of the time also.

The Draper hallucinations caught me off guard especially when I see Megan there. Seeing him face down in the pool was a surprise but confirmed what was going on. He obviously was doing more than smoking pot.

I would be surprised if Megan is really dead but who knows. They never did show her in the episode. Last reference to her was when Don asked his secretary to get a hold of his wife.

TIS

The stuff in office is best part. Peggy is my favorite character on show. There are rumors on internet past two weeks about Don's wife being based on Sharon Tate, the actress killed by Charles Manson followers.

Does smoking Hash really lead to hallucinations? Everyone else seems ok, but
he's imaging dead people talking to him, his wife being there, and winds up face down almost drowning in a pool. Only 2 or 3 episodes left.

Re: Mad Men - 06/10/13 11:23 PM

Great episode last night! Two episodes left this season.

Re: Mad Men - 06/11/13 12:20 PM

Finally caught it last night. Yea, good episode with Sally walking in on her "cheating" father being the shocker. Don is such an asshole. He seemed more embarrassed he was caught then even caring about the affect on his daughter. Oh, and he tells Sally he was just "comforting Sylvia?" lol Ha ha ha..yea, the old comforting a friend line. LMAO

Oh, and Peggy and the rat. panic Ewwww That's me. I'd be freaking out majorly. I'd move. LOL Tho, I doubt I'd proposition an ex boyfriend telling him "I'll make it worth your while" if he comes over and gets the rat. lol BUT I get her drift. LOL

I read something just a bit ago about Megan & Manson murder connection. The article said she was wearing a T-shirt that Sharon Tate wore? Not sure what they are talking about.

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 06/11/13 11:22 PM

Finally caught it last night. Yea, good episode with Sally walking in on her "cheating" father being the shocker. Don is such an asshole. He seemed more embarrassed he was caught then even caring about the affect on his daughter. Oh, and he tells Sally he was just "comforting Sylvia?" lol Ha ha ha..yea, the old comforting a friend line. LMAO

Oh, and Peggy and the rat. panic Ewwww That's me. I'd be freaking out majorly. I'd move. LOL Tho, I doubt I'd proposition an ex boyfriend telling him "I'll make it worth your while" if he comes over and gets the rat. lol BUT I get her drift. LOL

I read something just a bit ago about Megan & Manson murder connection. The article said she was wearing a T-shirt that Sharon Tate wore? Not sure what they are talking about.

TIS

You mean this TIS, It's been big deal on internet
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mad-men-conspiracy-theorists-turn-561213

Re: Mad Men - 06/12/13 04:43 AM

Well, regarding Megan some one on the show said people have wild imagination. So that's that.

Re: Mad Men - 06/16/13 05:21 AM

Two episodes left, I feel they wasted this season. The character Stan in creative did nothing but smoke pot, Don and that woman neighbor makes Don a creep, and the agencies merging did not do enough to drive plot. Don smokes hash, falls into a pool. Flashbacks that lead nowhere. I hope next season is back to old standards.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Mad Men - 06/23/13 10:59 AM

Mad Men is my favorite show of all time.

1 episode left on a season that is missing something. So I'm guessing maybe it ends with a bang.

Re: Mad Men - 06/24/13 11:11 PM

I didn't watch last night's episode yet but plan to tonight. HOWEVER, I have been trying NOT to read the buzz. Sounds like something big happened. Something happened to Don?? confused Anyone watch? I'll check back after I see the episode.

TIS
Posted By: Chicago

Re: Mad Men - 06/24/13 11:56 PM

Jace, I agree with you. I really like Mad Men. I like anything about the good old days. However, I found myself disliking Don Draper as the season went along and found myself liking Ted better. Ted is a better Boss than Don and generally a better more responsible person. Also, I know the Producers want to make money, but there are WAY TOO MANY COMMERCIALS. Your Thoughts?

Re: Mad Men - 06/25/13 12:39 AM

Spoiler alert

Agreed, wayyy too many commercials. Good final episode, I didnt expect Don to be let go. Overall this Season was not the greatest, it was decent.

Re: Mad Men - 06/25/13 02:15 AM

Thanks for the spoiler alert DD i was about to read your message out of stupidity lol . I just watched episode 8 and the part where the black woman tells Sally she's her Grandmother nearly killed me lol . I've got to say though this season seems as if it's got alot darker and more creepy, especially Dons flashbacks that seem as if they were set in the 1870s.

Re: Mad Men - 06/25/13 03:03 AM

I've just watched ep 9 Bayonet to the gut lol
. That guy was a complete idiot, i mean there's feeling and acting for the oppressed then there's just being stupid.

Re: Mad Men - 06/25/13 03:16 AM

Camarel, Is it just me or did you find yourself not really liking or identifying or rooting for Don Draper anymore? I started to like Ted much better. With their merger, they have way too many partners. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I didn't like Don carrying on with his neighbor's wife and then being real friendly with her husband. I like Megan and think she is very attractive. She should be able to have a career. Your thoughts?

Re: Mad Men - 06/25/13 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Chicago
Camarel, Is it just me or did you find yourself not really liking or identifying or rooting for Don Draper anymore? I started to like Ted much better. With their merger, they have way too many partners. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I didn't like Don carrying on with his neighbor's wife and then being real friendly with her husband. I like Megan and think she is very attractive. She should be able to have a career. Your thoughts?

I haven't seen enough of Ted yet to have a judgement because i'm only 2 or 3 episodes into the merger. Saying that though i agree about Don, but i've personally disliked him from series 3 or 4, i know what you mean though he's became alot more unlikable in this season. I do like Megan and since the start more or less have disliked Betty, i mean come on screwing Don then saying poor Megan ohwell . I have episode 10 loaded right now after i've watched the full season i'd like to discuss it more with you in this thread.

Re: Mad Men - 06/25/13 07:18 AM

Just saw it. I started to dislike Don this season, he has been turned into a creep. I thought Peggy should have smashed Ted over the head with a typewriter. I am sick of Bob character, he does nothing but make show seem strange, and as if it's some sort of spoof. Every scene he is in, especially Thanksgiving one, seems like it's from a satire on Mad Men.

First seasons I felt good switching, it had uplifting theme, people were confident, winners. Don is now a total loser. And how about Peter, his mother is murdered, he still goes on business trip with guy who may have had part in it!!!!!

I was waiting to watch tonight feeling like it was something I just had to get done with. Ten minutes into show I thought it would be good final, then it just kept going downhill. To many loose ends, too many story lines going nowhere.

Re: Mad Men - 06/25/13 07:20 AM

January Jones, playing Don's ex-wife, is now a big star, I think they want to keep her story line going for ratings. I'm also sick of that brat daughter. Next season, I wish they would stick to agency most of time, and drop some characters.

Re: Mad Men - 06/25/13 07:33 AM

I felt in agreement with this writer, but poll at end shows many did not.

http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainment/if-don-draper-died-mad-men-finale-would-anyone-care-6C10382406

Re: Mad Men - 06/25/13 04:03 PM

Finally caught the season finale last night. Gotta say, Don seemed to hit rock bottom didn't he? Also gotta add, part of me says he deserved what he got. He's become a totally unlikeable character. He's driven everyone away from him. Maybe next season he'll redeem himself. confused

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 06/26/13 05:46 AM

Finally caught the season finale last night. Gotta say, Don seemed to hit rock bottom didn't he? Also gotta add, part of me says he deserved what he got. He's become a totally unlikeable character. He's driven everyone away from him. Maybe next season he'll redeem himself. confused

TIS

I think that is what next season will be, him making comeback. I am sick of his character by now, and might skip next season. How many flashbacks do we have to be hit with to get point, he had tough upbringing. And pete finds out about his mother, still goes on trip with Bob, tells no one in office what happened!!!!

Re: Mad Men - 06/26/13 11:20 AM

TIS

I think that is what next season will be, him making comeback. I am sick of his character by now, and might skip next season. How many flashbacks do we have to be hit with to get point, he had tough upbringing. And pete finds out about his mother, still goes on trip with Bob, tells no one in office what happened!!!!

Oh yea, Pete's mom marries and falls off the ship? lol Or, did she? Pete too, is not a likeable person. Everyone lacks warmth on that show. I guess Megan is the only one I have any sympathy for. She seems most "normal" and she's understandably reached her wit's end with Don.

smile
TIS

Re: Mad Men - 06/26/13 06:50 PM

I like Ted better than Don. Megan is very attractive (to me) and I like her character. She could do better than being with Don. There are wayyy too many commercials. There are wayyy too many partners in their Company. The writing on this past season was very weak compared to the previous seasons. It has become chaotic and disjointed. I can't identify with Don anymore. They lost me. Maybe next season will be better? I like Trudy, Pete's wife. What's wrong with those two guys? They have very nice attractive wives.

Re: Mad Men - 07/01/13 06:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Chicago
I like Ted better than Don. Megan is very attractive (to me) and I like her character. She could do better than being with Don. There are wayyy too many commercials. There are wayyy too many partners in their Company. The writing on this past season was very weak compared to the previous seasons. It has become chaotic and disjointed. I can't identify with Don anymore. They lost me. Maybe next season will be better? I like Trudy, Pete's wife. What's wrong with those two guys? They have very nice attractive wives.

The commercials drive me nuts. Joining the two agencies was a mistake as you said.

Re: Mad Men - 07/20/13 06:18 PM

DellaCroce and I were having a discussion in the Walking Dead thread that somehow got into Mad Men. So I'm sort of transferring my thoughts here. We were talking about the era in which Mad Men takes place (60s if you don't watch). I was saying how I could relate to many things (little and big issues) in the show.

I'm reminded of probably late 60s I was working at an insurance company office. Back then all the ladies wore dresses & high heels. Well then women's lib entered the scene at some point. Our bosses (men) had a meeting to determine IF the ladies could wear pant suits to work. lol Do you believe it? ha ha ha. They had a meeting and determined that we could as long as it was a matching "suit". Looking back now I think WTF?? lol

"We've come a long way baby" (for those who don't know that was an ad for Virginia Slims, a "woman's cigaret) lol

TIS
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Mad Men - 07/20/13 08:04 PM

Wow men from that era really dont seem to be shown in a positive light, probly for good reason. I dont think anything youve described above would stand today, it would be a law suit for sure. And after reading some of the comments here and after what we talked about i think ill try and watch the show from the very beginning and with a new perspective and open mind i think i might like it.

Re: Mad Men - 09/18/13 04:53 AM

And so it will drag out till the spring of 2015. ohwell

Quote:
AMC announced today that the final season has been expanded to 14 episodes with 7 episodes airing in spring of 2014 (“The Beginning”) and the final 7 episodes (“The End of an Era”) airing in the spring of 2015.

http://bit.ly/1bprjvj

Re: Mad Men - 09/18/13 11:42 AM

And so it will drag out till the spring of 2015. ohwell

Quote:
AMC announced today that the final season has been expanded to 14 episodes with 7 episodes airing in spring of 2014 (“The Beginning”) and the final 7 episodes (“The End of an Era”) airing in the spring of 2015.

http://bit.ly/1bprjvj

This is good news for me. I'm not sure why most people hated Series 6 i actually enjoyed it. Anyway thanks for posting this.

Re: Mad Men - 09/18/13 12:12 PM

You're welcome. My only beef is that they make us wait. I don't like series that make you wait for years, that's all. lol

Re: Mad Men - 04/13/14 06:46 PM

Anyone gonna watch tonight? I am not as into it as the first few seasons, but watched the last few episodes of last season to get caught up.

I agree with Afs on how they make you wait AND to anger those of us who don't like waiting a year, I heard today that they will run 7 episodes of the SERIES finale now and the final several epidodes in spring of 2015. How's that for making you wait? mad In other words next year is the final season. rolleyes

On another note, one of the episodes I watched today during my catch-up, in 1968 they were trying to think of an ad for "St. Joseph's Children's Aspirin". The movie, "Rosemary's Baby was new and they were talking about drawing from that movie with the tag line being in the line of "All you need it St. Joseph aspirin." lol I don't know that even back then that would be a good idea. LOL

TIS

Re: Mad Men - 04/13/14 07:35 PM

I will watch tonight, but am not expecting too much. I started getting tired of it last year, plus the lung wait just pissed me off. Oh well, we will see

Re: Mad Men - 04/14/14 02:15 PM

I didn't watch last night. I'm sick of the way AMC runs so many commercials during their shows. Mad Men has been teasing the audience with hints of a Sharon Tate style ending for Don's wife since early last season. That isn't going to get me hooked on the show, nor is the way the characters constantly are so morose over things, especially Don. The more money and success he has, the more he cries, vomits, and mopes around.
Posted By: B_A_

Re: Mad Men - 05/23/14 09:57 PM

Last episode really was a highlight: Mad Men at it's best. It made me realise how much I like Mad Men. It's up there with the best.

Re: Mad Men - 06/02/14 12:21 AM

I just watched all 7 episodes the past 3 days, and the final 3 were great. The first 4 were slow. Now we have to wait till next year for the concluding 7 episodes. I thought that episode 6 of this season had the ending that would have been best for this series, with Don and Peg dancing together to close things out.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET