Home

The Best Sitcoms

Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

The Best Sitcoms - 02/28/13 05:08 AM

My personal favorites: All in the Family, Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends, That 70's show, The Cosby Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, Everybody Loves Raymond, Taxi, The Jeffersons, Faulty Towers, and Entourage if that counts.
Posted By: olivant

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 02/28/13 06:21 AM

This thread might attract more posts if moved to the Movies & Television Forum.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 02/28/13 07:11 AM

I was going to post the same thing - but Oli beat me to it. wink

Signor V.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 02/28/13 08:06 AM

Only Fools and Horses
The Office (Uk)

Friends
Fraiser
Posted By: RichieAnimal

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 02/28/13 10:06 AM

I love Lucy and The honey mooners because they still hold up no matter how many times you see them.

Then all of a sudden there is another one and that one is everybody loves Raymond.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 02/28/13 12:35 PM

Golden Girls, Andy Griffith.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 02/28/13 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
My personal favorites: All in the Family, Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends, That 70's show, The Cosby Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, Everybody Loves Raymond, Taxi, The Jeffersons, Faulty Towers, and Entourage if that counts.

Completely agree with you. Those are my favourite shows too. But I have to say that Seinfeld is no 1 (for me).

Soap was a big hit over here in the early 80s. Those guys were funny!

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 03:40 AM

Sorry for posting it in the wrong thread guys. My mistake
Posted By: SC

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Sorry for posting it in the wrong thread guys. My mistake

No catastrophe, it's being moved to the TV Forum.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 05:00 AM

A few oldies off the top of my head:

I Love Lucy (Funny is funny, even after all these years.)

Burns & Allen (Gracie Allen was brilliant. Period.)

The Mary Tyler Moore Show (A great ensemble cast.)

Chef (Lenny Henry as a black Gordon Ramsay - years ahead of its time.)

The Vicar of Dibley (A gem from beginning to end.)

Fawlty Towers (John Cleese. Basil. 'Nuff said. Or, should that be Flowery Twats?)

I'll probably think of more in the days to come, but for now, these are among my all-time favorites. (And I'm also showing my age!)

Signor V.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 05:06 AM

Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, WKRP, Lucy, Fawlty Towers, Honeymooners, and (how many remember this one?) Amos 'n Andy.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 07:42 AM

Are you old enough to remember Amos n Andy?

They both belonged to the mystic knights of the sea lodge hall.

I remember a bite they did about the atomic stove it just came out they said. So stoves of the future will become smaller and smaller. So in the future you will no longer put the turkey in the stove. You will put the stove in the turkey.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 05:14 PM

The Honeymooners was outstanding. I think the team of Gleason and Carney is the funniest in tv history.

I Love Lucy,The Andy Griffith Show, All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Cheers, Seinfeld and Raymond are also favorites.

Many people rank the Chuckles the Clown episode on Mary Tyler Moore as the funniest sitcom episode of all time. It's certainly at the top. I also have to add the Honeymooners episode where Ralph and Norton make a live tv commercial.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 05:47 PM

Yes the honeymooner The chef of the future commercial funny.

Lucy when she worked in the candy factory, when she made wine with her feet, when she gave John Wayne a massage, when superman visited little Ricky birthday party, when she made cigars while in Cuba visiting rickys uncle then same episode showed Ricky and little Ricky singing Babalo and playing the conga drum I could go on and on

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 05:50 PM

I will add everybody loves Raymond when his brother wants to join the secret service funny,
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 06:41 PM

I know I'll forget some but off the top of my head:

I Love Lucy
Mary Tyler Moore
All In The Family
Taxi (Christopher Lloyd was my favorite) smile
Seinfeld (I actually didn't get into it into several seasons in). It seemed boring at first and then grew on me. I got to really enjoy it.) smile

I liked Burns & Allen but thought Gracie stole the show. AND, I loved Art Carney in The Honeymooners. I know I'm alone here, but I never found Jackie Gleason that funny. Thought he was a big mouth. ohwell

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
AND, I loved Art Carney in The Honeymooners. I know I'm alone here, but I never found Jackie Gleason that funny. Thought he was a big mouth. ohwell

I memorized Ralph Kramden's outburst at his mother-in-law when she insulted him and spoiled the ending of the show he was planning to see. Then I used it on my mother-in-law when she visited.

"You are a BLABBERMOUTH! A Blabblabblab. You! Blabbermouth! Out! GET OUT!" My father-in-law was in stitches.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 07:37 PM

That was on a record Ralph recorded the idea given to him by nortonto appolizes to Alice's mother. But as he said it he got crazy again on thst first record. Then thry made another record norton made a mistake and gave that record to alice. norton showed the right record to allice later.

I can't watch an Ed norton movies with out thinking of carneys Ed norton sewer worker character.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 08:22 PM

AND, I loved Art Carney in The Honeymooners. I know I'm alone here, but I never found Jackie Gleason that funny.

To the moon TIS, to the moon!

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

AND, I loved Art Carney in The Honeymooners. I know I'm alone here, but I never found Jackie Gleason that funny.

To the moon TIS, to the moon!

lol I know Oli!! I'm in the minority here.

Btw, can you even imagine the outrage of the "To the moon Alice" phrase if it were used today??? uhwhat

Then again, I imagine a show like "All In The Family" (as hilarious as it was) would be big today.

Speaking of All In The Family, during that time, in my family, if my mom, sister or myself didn't quite grasp something or were slow to pick up on something, we'd quickly be called "Edith" by my dad & brothers. lol Of course we'd say to them "go stifle yourself." lol

TIS

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/01/13 10:11 PM

Carrol O Conner was a liberal
Posted By: Camarel

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/03/13 11:31 AM

I agree with alot of your choices Joe but my favourite has to be Arrested Development.
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/04/13 07:18 PM

All the shows that the previous posters have listed are truly great shows and i enjoyed watching pretty much all of them.

But what, no mention of the show that put the Fox network on the map?

C'mon, admit it people, i bet more then a couple of you watched it too. lol clap

Posted By: Just Lou

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/04/13 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Giancarlo

All the shows that the previous posters have listed are truly great shows and i enjoyed watching pretty much all of them.

C'mon, admit it people, i bet more then a couple of you watched it too. lol clap

Great show especially the early seasons.
IMO, there will never be a sitcom better than The Honeymooners.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/05/13 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou

Great show especially the early seasons.
IMO, there will never be a sitcom better than The Honeymooners.

"Ralph, do you mind if I smoke?"

"I don't care if you burn."

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/05/13 04:26 AM

Hey any of you guys like Entourage on HBO? That shit was friggin funny. If you don't believe me just look up Ari Gold on youtube lol
Posted By: jace

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/13/13 07:25 AM

I never saw the Honeymooners till a year ago. I now watch it over and over. To me it's best show ever. Obvious they had small budget by the set, and they had restrictions on what they could say. Honeymooners shows that comedians can be funny without resorting to filthy jokes and cursing. I just watched episode where Ralph runs into his wife's old boyfriend, and tells him he owns bus company because he thinks other guy is rich business man.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/13/13 11:54 AM

Ralph learning how to golf on the honeymooners. Directions address the ball. Answer hello ball funny

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/13/13 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: jace
I never saw the Honeymooners till a year ago. I now watch it over and over. To me it's best show ever. Obvious they had small budget by the set, and they had restrictions on what they could say. Honeymooners shows that comedians can be funny without resorting to filthy jokes and cursing. I just watched episode where Ralph runs into his wife's old boyfriend, and tells him he owns bus company because he thinks other guy is rich business man.

This was an outstanding episode. When Ralph offered to pick up the dinner check and the dining companion didn't object, Ralph's reaction is classic.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/13/13 04:00 PM

Remember the ritual that Norton went through when he was about to sign something. I imagine him doing so had he been about to sign the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/13/13 04:24 PM

Remember the ritual that Norton went through when he was about to sign something. I imagine him doing so had he been about to sign the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution.

A few licks of the pencil and some brushing and waving of the air around the paper before Ralph gives him a whack. I mimic this once in a while when I'm signing papers.

I also always loved to do Norton's dance from the Hucklebuck episode.
Posted By: jace

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/14/13 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Originally Posted By: jace

This was an outstanding episode. When Ralph offered to pick up the dinner check and the dining companion didn't object, Ralph's reaction is classic.

I loved that face he made. Plus I liked way it ended, all laughing about it. Show was very down to earth, and besides being funny showed that main characters all were decent people. I am trying to get old show Gleason hosted
on dvd, a variety show rom 1960's.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/18/13 04:41 PM

As a kid I loved the Little Rascals and the Three Stooges (with Curly).

The Honeymooners - I agree with you TIS, Gleason had his moments, but Carney was the best. Kind of like Seinfeld and Kramer.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/18/13 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

The Honeymooners - I agree with you TIS, Gleason had his moments, but Carney was the best. Kind of like Seinfeld and Kramer.

George was the best in Seinfeld imo.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/18/13 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

It's strange how opinions differ but I can't stand the George character. All the others I love. If I read the plot was centered around George, I usually didn't watch. ohwell I found his character totally annoying and unfunny.

That being said, and George aside, the show was really good.

TIS
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 03/19/13 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

It's strange how opinions differ but I can't stand the George character. All the others I love. If I read the plot was centered around George, I usually didn't watch. ohwell I found his character totally annoying and unfunny.

That being said, and George aside, the show was really good.

TIS

I didn't watch it the first two years. Too whiny. Then I got hooked and I still watch the reruns. George is just a pathetic soul. The characters had the right chemistry and the actors were perfect.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/09/13 10:14 PM

All in the family, Seinfeld, King of Queens Honeymooners,
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/14/13 01:24 AM

I was going to post this when the thread was first started but wasn't sure if it was a true sitcom. But every "Best TV Sitcoms of all Time" has it on their lists so here it is.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/14/13 02:52 PM

I was going to post this when the thread was first started but wasn't sure if it was a true sitcom.

MASH is a sitcom, and a very good one.

I always liked MacLean Stevenson's character, Col. Blake. He cracked me up when Klinger appeared in his office with a woman's bathrobe, and Blake yelled at him, "For God's sake, Klinger, it's almost noon and you're still in a bathrobe. Go to your tent and put on a dress!" Klinger left and he turned to Pierce and complained, "You got to stay on these guys all the time."
Posted By: FunnyHow

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/14/13 05:22 PM

Seinfeld
The Office (U.S.)

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/14/13 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: FunnyHow
Seinfeld
The Office (U.S.)

lol
Posted By: fortunato

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 12/19/13 04:11 PM

Freaking LOVE the Vicar of Dibley. One of the funniest and greatest shows ever.
Also Everybody loves Ramon, I love Lucy, The Andy Griffith show.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 12/19/13 04:41 PM

Anyone watch King of Queens?

Really funny show. Kevin James is a likable lead and Ben Stiller's dad cracks me up.
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 12/20/13 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: fortunato
Freaking LOVE the Vicar of Dibley. One of the funniest and greatest shows ever.

I like this quite a bit. The premise, a female Church of England priest appointed as pastor to an old-fashioned could have been a one-joke show, but it's a lot better than that.

I also liked King of Queens. I think Jerry Stiller was very funny in it.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 12/21/13 01:52 AM

Speaking of sitcoms. CBS is running I Love Lucy's Christmas show from 1956. I thought I heard they colorized it. If I heard correctly they will run Christmas shows from several past comedies (Brady Bunch is another I think). Anyway, it's probably on right now on he East. It starts at 8:00 here.

smile

TIS

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 12/21/13 03:44 AM

Speaking of sitcoms. CBS is running I Love Lucy's Christmas show from 1956. I thought I heard they colorized it. If I heard correctly they will run Christmas shows from several past comedies (Brady Bunch is another I think). Anyway, it's probably on right now on he East. It starts at 8:00 here.

smile

TIS

"I Love Lucy Christmas Special" -- Two newly colorized episodes, including the seldom-seen "Christmas Episode" and "Lucy's Italian Movie," are scheduled to air. (8 p.m. Dec. 20, CBS)

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 12/21/13 04:00 PM

I ended up watching Lucy last night. I guess the Christmas show was not shown that often. It was nice but not as good as Lucy in Italy. You know, after all these years, I found myself STILL laughing out loud at her facial expressions/gestures. lol I actually enjoyed it.

TIS
Posted By: goombah

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 01/13/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I was going to post this when the thread was first started but wasn't sure if it was a true sitcom.

MASH is a sitcom, and a very good one.

I always liked MacLean Stevenson's character, Col. Blake. He cracked me up when Klinger appeared in his office with a woman's bathrobe, and Blake yelled at him, "For God's sake, Klinger, it's almost noon and you're still in a bathrobe. Go to your tent and put on a dress!" Klinger left and he turned to Pierce and complained, "You got to stay on these guys all the time."

lol

Up until "Seinfeld," I would have regarded "MASH" as my all-time favorite sitcom. I loved Col. Blake, too. But MASH was just as great for its recurring characters like the nutbag Col. Flagg, Scully, & Rizzo. I liked Trapper slighly more than BJ Honnicut and thought the character of Frank Burns was played brilliantly by Larry Linville.

My other favorite sitcoms include "Cheers," "Night Court," "Soap," "Barney Miller," "WKRP in Cincinnati," and "Arrested Development."
Posted By: fortunato

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 01/13/14 08:34 PM

Been watching Episodes, absolutley hilarious.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 02/16/14 07:00 PM

Honeymooners, Seinfeld, and one I haven't seen anyone else mention is King of Queens which originally took a while to grow on me. Curb your enthusiasm is also up there.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/06/14 09:48 AM

"Still Standing" was a very funny show. I watch it in the morning whenever I'm home. Of course it was cancelled to make room for more reality shows rolleyes

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/06/14 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
"Still Standing" was a very funny show. I watch it in the morning whenever I'm home. Of course it was cancelled to make room for more reality shows rolleyes

It used to be on much more. In fact, it used to be on in back to back episodes. I like Jami Gertz.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/06/14 11:41 AM

It used to be on much more. In fact, it used to be on in back to back episodes. I like Jami Gertz.

Me, too. She's cute and funny. But I've never seen her new show, "The Neighbors." I'm just not into aliens and whatnot.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/06/14 08:50 PM

I loved "Mad About You" and rewatch it whenever possible. It randomly shows up on some cable channels. I have the DVR set to record it on any channel, so it surprises me sometimes and BAM, it's there.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/06/14 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I loved "Mad About You" and rewatch it whenever possible. It randomly shows up on some cable channels. I have the DVR set to record it on any channel, so it surprises me sometimes and BAM, it's there.

Great show. Very smart. It's on FXX all the time, and the episodes are sometimes available for free on FXX On-Demand.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/08/14 03:16 PM

My daughter and I love to watch it together and have now incorporated the following into our everyday conversation:

"This is what I'm saying!"
"Never gonna happen, my friend!"
The use of A and 2 instead of A and B when making multiple points.

Sylvia Buchman may have to wrestle Marie Barone for worst MIL.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/08/14 05:22 PM

As George Carlin said:

"She wrote down her reasons: numbers 1,2,and C. She was never any good at indexing."

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/08/14 05:31 PM

My daughter and I love to watch it together and have now incorporated the following into our everyday conversation:

Sylvia Buchman may have to wrestle Marie Barone for worst MIL.

This is what I'm sayin', Babe. We use it ALL THE TIME ourselves grin.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/19/14 07:45 PM

I was hoping someone would mention Married With Children, my all time favorite sitcom have every season on dvd. M*A*S*H was also damn good as was WKRP
Posted By: Footreads

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/19/14 08:08 PM

Married with Children was something. There was one epiosode where Al was smoking a cigar. It was hanging down in his mouth. Then he sees a pretty girl with her boobs hanging out. All of a sudden his cigar started to get higher and higher in his mouth.

Fox Channel 5 just started when they got that show. It helped make FOX a success. Before that it was just ABC, CBS, and NBC they were the big three.

A little known fact Ed O 'Neal is a Brazilian Jujitsu Black belt it took him 20 yrs to do it, but he did it.
Posted By: cheech

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/20/14 08:44 PM

Growing up we used to watch Barney Miller. Cheers. MASH. (Hot lips was hot). Family Ties.

But mostly the Yankees on channel 11. Bill White and the Scooter were a sitcom to me.

Nowadays my favorite was The Wire. Subject matter aside I'd be hard pressed to find a better written show

House Of Cards on Netflix is genius.

I always liked Twin Peaks. Only two seasons and very esoteric and dark but I was intrigued as a kid and now own the DVDs.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/20/14 08:46 PM

My wife's favorite. Good pick SB
Posted By: Footreads

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/21/14 12:34 PM

House of cards I have been watching that show for two seasons waiting for Franks wife to get naked. So far it has not happened damn it.

I even bought myself some F U cuff links. If you watched the show you know what I am talking about. I have no doubt that Spacey will win the Emmy for his roll as frank.

On thinking hot lips is hot she was.

When I was 16 I made it with my neighbor Joanie she was 33. I would screw her after her Husband left for work. I stll get excited thinking about it. Until I thought well I am 74 now. That would make Joanie 91 if she was still alive. Then I threw up smile

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/21/14 07:20 PM

Hard to top that post Foot but I enjoyed it nonetheless. You make my day so much more worthwhile. For that, I thank you.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/25/14 10:17 AM

"Coach" was a very funny show. Hayden Fox was a politically incorrect guy's guy, but a good guy nonetheless. And I loved him for that smile.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/26/14 04:31 PM

"Sex in the City" is my all-time favorite. Bob Newhart Show was always witty.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/26/14 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
"Sex in the City" is my all-time favorite.

You're such a Samantha, TB grin.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/26/14 05:35 PM

As long as I'm not a Sanford, PB. sick

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/26/14 06:35 PM

How about The Montefuscos!
Posted By: NNY78

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/30/14 12:44 PM

Get Smart, Hogan's Hero's and the Odd Couple are some of my favorites

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/31/14 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: NNY78

I love "Hogan's Heroes." I own the box set because they don't show them much anymore.

Hogan, get the car. grin

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/31/14 12:37 PM

I love "Hogan's Heroes." I own the box set because they don't show them much anymore.

Hogan, get the car. grin

I too PB. Scultz has to be one of the best characters ever on TV.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/31/14 02:37 PM

Hogan, get the car. grin

Schultz: "I know nothing" lol

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 05/31/14 02:41 PM

Hogan, get the car. grin

Schultz: "I know nothing" lol

Contrast that with Sheldon: "I know everything." (Still funny though).
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/04/14 08:55 AM

Hogan, get the car. grin

I see Hogan's Heroes at 9pm on MeTv. Always good for a laugh. Besides a general lack of sitcoms these days, it seems like the theme song isn't that important anymore. Think of the songs from the Odd Couple, M*A*S*H, All in the Family, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Cheers, Hogan's Heroes - all of these show are instantly recognized from their songs. Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, McHale's Navy, Batman - even the non-sitcoms like Bonanza, Hawaii 5-0, Rockford Files all had songs we recognized from just a few notes.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/05/14 07:48 AM

[/quote]I see Hogan's Heroes at 9pm on MeTv. Always good for a laugh. Besides a general lack of sitcoms these days, it seems like the theme song isn't that important anymore. Think of the songs from the Odd Couple, M*A*S*H, All in the Family, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Cheers, Hogan's Heroes - all of these show are instantly recognized from their songs. Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, McHale's Navy, Batman - even the non-sitcoms like Bonanza, Hawaii 5-0, Rockford Files all had songs we recognized from just a few notes. [/quote]

Don Marco, We get METV down here too, great shows, all the old time favorites
Posted By: Benedetto

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/10/14 08:21 PM

They did a genius of a job writing Everybody Loves Raymond. So relatable. My wife and I really loved this show and still enjoy the reruns.

As far as older sitcoms. Laverne & Shirley is a classic.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/10/14 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Benedetto
They did a genius of a job writing Everybody Loves Raymond. So relatable. My wife and I really loved this show and still enjoy the reruns.

We all love Raymond. We even have a thread:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=621317&page=1
Posted By: Benedetto

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/10/14 08:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up PB, much appreciated. I will give it a read.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/10/14 09:14 PM

I don't feel like going back thru all the pages but did anyone mention The Dick Van Dyke Show? I recently saw #CNNs series "The Sixties" and was reminded how funny that show was (along with some others).

smile

TIS

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/10/14 09:37 PM

I don't feel like going back thru all the pages but did anyone mention The Dick Van Dyke Show? I recently saw #CNNs series "The Sixties" and was reminded how funny that show was (along with some others).

smile

TIS

I just posted in another thread that Laura Petrie was one of my first loves as a kid in the '60s, Tis.

Laura Petrie, Jeannie (Barbara Eden), Marlo Thomas in "That Girl." And of course all the daughters on "Petticoat Junction."

Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnhhhhhh. grin

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/10/14 10:33 PM

PB,

They played clip from Dick VanDyke when Laura had her baby and Dick was convinced the hospital gave them the wrong baby. He says to Laura, "Honey, how much do you like that baby?" lol Then the couple who's baby they think they have ring the doorbell...I assume you saw it.

lol

TIS

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/11/14 03:48 PM

PB,

They played clip from Dick VanDyke when Laura had her baby and Dick was convinced the hospital gave them the wrong baby. He says to Laura, "Honey, how much do you like that baby?" lol Then the couple who's baby they think they have ring the doorbell...I assume you saw it.

lol

TIS

Do ya'll recall the DVDS controversy over whether Laura should wear a dress or pants. Polls showed viewers preferred a dress.
Posted By: Italianheritage

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/20/14 02:22 AM

I enjoyed very old episodes of Bewitched, I love Lucy, some episodes of Married with children, some Seinfeld episodes, and I enjoyed Twink Peaks as well.

My grandmother liked the golden girls and some of those episodes are funny.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/21/14 11:48 PM

There's probably only a handful (if that many) of Board members who ever saw the Amos 'n Andy Show. How many of you have seen it? Now, that was one funny show.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/21/14 11:56 PM

There's probably only a handful (if that many) of Board members who ever saw the Amos 'n Andy Show. How many of you have seen it? Now, that was one funny show.

Political correctness aside, that's one of the funniest shows of all time. Bar none.
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/22/14 08:17 AM

It looks like a lot of these are on youtube and for sale on Amazon now. They really are hilarious.

They were, of course more or less barred from being shown for a long time - not shown on TV, and not made available on tape or disc. My dad, though, who was in his thirties when the show was first on, just loved it, so I tried to hunt it down. It turned out there was one think tank or some such that was licensed to sell them, something like the "Foundation for the Study of Historical Media." They sent you a big box of VHS tapes, no marking on it, and the tapes on the labels themselves were all just computer-printed. My dad roared at them, and pretty much wore the tapes out.

Re: The Best Sitcoms - 06/22/14 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: mustachepete

It looks like a lot of these are on youtube and for sale on Amazon now. They really are hilarious.

They were, of course more or less barred from being shown for a long time - not shown on TV, and not made available on tape or disc. My dad, though, who was in his thirties when the show was first on, just loved it, so I tried to hunt it down. It turned out there was one think tank or some such that was licensed to sell them, something like the "Foundation for the Study of Historical Media." They sent you a big box of VHS tapes, no marking on it, and the tapes on the labels themselves were all just computer-printed. My dad roared at them, and pretty much wore the tapes out.

Same with my Dad, MP. We had the VHS tapes back in the early '80s, and much more recently I was able to track down those same unlicensed episodes on dvd. Not hard. Just Google Amos and Andy + DVD smile .
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET