Home

The Oscars / Awards Season

Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/08/13 11:40 PM

Yes we are in movie awards season. We have the Globes and 300 other movie-related industry awards groups to give out their paperweight trophies that boost fragile bloated egos. This thursday morning, the 10th at 5:30 in the morning (8:30 East Coast) is when the Oscars announce this year's nominations. Who'll get honored? Who'll get snubbed? Which picks will surprise people?

Anyway the Director's Guild of America (DGA, the Hollywood directors' labor union) announced their nominations today. They're important because they usually nail the names that will get also nominated for the Best Director Oscar. The DGAs and Oscars usually share 4 of the 5 names put forward. Keep that fact in mind.

The 2012 DGA nominees:

Ben Affleck (ARGO)
Kathryn Bigelow (ZERO DARK THIRTY)
Tom Hooper (LES MISERABLES)
Ang Lee (LIFE OF PI)
Steven Spielberg (LINCOLN)

Interesting note: All those nominees above, save for Affleck, have already won the Best Director Oscar. (Spielberg has won it twice, in fact.)

So who will get snubbed at the Oscars for director? I think Affleck/Bigelow/Spielberg are locks. Hooper and Lee are more vulnerable. I say it's Hooper, and he's replaced with Quentin Tarantino.
Posted By: Camarel

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/09/13 12:52 AM

My predictions for the Oscars -

Best picture - Argo Best Director - Ben Affleck - Argo

Best Actor - Daniel Day Lewis - Lincoln

Best supporting Actor - Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln

Best Actress - Don't know

Best supporting Actress - Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/09/13 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

I say Jennifer Lawrence, for SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK.

The gurus claim that race is between her and Jennifer Chastain, for ZERO DARK THIRTY.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/09/13 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Originally Posted By: Camarel

I say Jennifer Lawrence, for SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK.

The gurus claim that race is between her and Jennifer Chastain, for ZERO DARK THIRTY.

I've not seen Zero Dark Thirty or Silver Linings playbook yet. Jennifer Lawrence was great in Winter Bone though. Tbh i don't think i've ever seen a movie with Jessica Chastain.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/09/13 08:59 AM

Well the BAFTAs (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) just announced their picks this morning. They're pretty much the British Oscars. I would love for Capo to swoop in and bash them.

The nominees:

BEST FILM
Argo
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
Anna Karenina
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Miserables
Seven Psychopaths
Skyfall

LEADING ACTOR
Ben Affleck - Argo
Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Hugh Jackman - Les Miserables
Joaquin Phoenix - The Master

LEADING ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard - Rust and Bone
Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
Dame Helen Mirren - Hitchcock
Emmanuelle Riva - Amour

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alan Arkin - Argo
Javier Bardem - Skyfall
Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams - The Master
Dame Judi Dench - Skyfall
Sally Field - Lincoln
Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
Helen Hunt - The Sessions

DIRECTOR
Ben Affleck - Argo
Kathryn Bigelow - Zero Dark Thirty
Michael Haneke - Amour
Ang Lee - Life of Pi
Quentin Tarantino - Django Unchained

RISING STAR (public vote)
Elizabeth Olsen
Andrea Riseborough
Suraj Sharma
Juno Temple
Alicia Vikander

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
James Bobin (director) - The Muppets
Dexter Fletcher (director/writer) and Danny King (writer) - Wild Bill
Tina Gharavi (director/writer) - I Am Nasrine
Bart Layton (director) and Dmitri Doganis (producer) - The Imposter
David Morris (director) and Jaqui Morris (director/producer) - McCullin

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Amour
Headhunters
The Hunt
Rust and Bone
Untouchable

DOCUMENTARY
The Imposter
Marley
McCullin
Searching for Sugarman
West of Memphis

ANIMATED FILM
Brave
Frankenweenie
Paranorman

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Amour - Michael Haneke
Django Unchained - Quentin Tarantino
The Master - Paul Thomas Anderson
Moonrise Kingdom - Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola
Zero Dark Thirty - Mark Boal

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Argo - Chris Terrio
Beasts of the Southern Wild - Lucy Alibar, Benh Zeitlin
Life of Pi - David Magee
Lincoln - Tony Kushner
Silver Linings Playbook - David O. Russell

ORIGINAL MUSIC
Anna Karenina
Argo
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Anna Karenina
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

EDITING
Argo
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Anna Karenina
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

COSTUME DESIGN
Anna Karenina
Great Expectations
Les Miserables
Lincoln
Snow White and the Huntsman

MAKE UP AND HAIR
Anna Karenina
Hitchcock
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Les Miserables
Lincoln

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/09/13 09:20 PM

Any predictions Ronnie?

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 05:25 AM

I won't try to handicap winners until the nominations are announced and I know what I'm dealing with. Best Picture is almost impossible because its 6 to 10 possible nominations, not the old days of you know 5 or 10 movies will get nominated hell to high rise.

I said this before, but if Leonardo DiCaprio gets nominated in Supporting Actor for DJANGO, he will win. But I'm not sure he will get nominated. BAFTAs shafting him doesn't help my argument.

I say the DGA nods happen, except Hooper replaced with...Tarantino. And that's my fanboy pick.

IndieWire did a great series of their predictions. How many of their picks will turn out to be accurate?

http://www.indiewire.com/article/2013-oscarpredictions

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 01:08 PM

I won't try to handicap winners until the nominations are announced and I know what I'm dealing with. Best Picture is almost impossible because its 6 to 10 possible nominations, not the old days of you know 5 or 10 movies will get nominated hell to high rise.

I said this before, but if Leonardo DiCaprio gets nominated in Supporting Actor for DJANGO, he will win. But I'm not sure he will get nominated. BAFTAs shafting him doesn't help my argument.

I say the DGA nods happen, except Hooper replaced with...Tarantino. And that's my fanboy pick.

IndieWire did a great series of their predictions. How many of their picks will turn out to be accurate?

http://www.indiewire.com/article/2013-oscarpredictions

I personally don't think Leo has a chance, i'd love to see him win though because he's a great actor and has already been nominated a few times.I also don't think you have to wait for the nominations since,there's really only a select few who can win.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 03:08 PM

Well this morning shows why I don't like to pick winners before the nominations are announced. I would've figured Affleck and Bigelow would be the front-runners for Best Director but BOTH DIDN'T EVEN GET NOMINATED. Total shocker there.

Leo of course didn't get in. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK is the first movie since REDS (1981) to earn a nomination in every acting category. DeNiro's first nod since CAPE FEAR.

Academy Award Nominee Bradley Cooper is just too weird for me to say out loud.

I would suggest Jones will win Supporting Actor won, but DeNiro could be the surprise. In fact I'm afraid of seriously picking against an overperforming son of a bitch like SLP in general (while ZERO DARK THIRTY underperformed.) The voters loved SLP apparently.

For Director, my gut says Spielberg will win his 3rd Directing Oscar for LINCOLN. But could Lee spoil? Could Russell win?

Another shocker: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. Zero nods.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 03:23 PM

Well this morning shows why I don't like to pick winners before the nominations are announced. I would've figured Affleck and Bigelow would be the front-runners for Best Director but BOTH DIDN'T EVEN GET NOMINATED. Total shocker there.

Leo of course didn't get in. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK is the first movie since REDS (1981) to earn a nomination in every acting category. DeNiro's first nod since CAPE FEAR.

Academy Award Nominee Bradley Cooper is just too weird for me to say out loud.

I would suggest Jones will win Supporting Actor won, but DeNiro could be the surprise. In fact I'm afraid of seriously picking against an overperforming son of a bitch like SLP in general (while ZERO DARK THIRTY underperformed.) The voters loved SLP apparently.

For Director, my gut says Spielberg will win his 3rd Directing Oscar for LINCOLN. But could Lee spoil? Could Russell win?

Another shocker: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. Zero nods.

You were sensible then Ronnie lol i can't believe neither was nominated. I guess i'll need to change my pics then.

Best Picture -
Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Les Miserables
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
- I'm changing to Slp since Affleck didn't get nominated i heard the critics love Amour though;

Best Director -
Michael Haneke – Amour
Ang Lee – Life of Pi
David O. Russell – Silver Linings Playbook
Steven Spielberg – Lincoln
Benh Zeitlin – Beasts of the Southern Wild
- David O. Russell – Silver Linings Playbook

Best Actor -
Bradley Cooper – Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln
Hugh Jackman – Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix – The Master
Denzel Washington – Flight
- Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln

Best Actress -
Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva – Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis – Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts – The Impossible
- Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty

Best Supporting Actor -
Alan Arkin – Argo
Robert De Niro – Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman – The Master
Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln
Christoph Waltz – Django Unchained
- Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln

Best Supporting Actress -
Amy Adams – The Master
Sally Field – Lincoln
Anne Hathaway – Les Misérables
Helen Hunt – The Sessions
Jacki Weaver – Silver Linings Playbook
- Anne Hathaway – Les Misérables

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 03:37 PM

Another shock now i think about it is PTA and The Master being ignored other than in acting.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 03:48 PM

I heard that the best actress category has both the youngest and oldest nominess ever nominated for an Academy Award. I would love to see the nine-year old girl win the award.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 09:59 PM

They announced the OSCAR Nominees this morning and differ some from BAFTA

Once again, I gotta admit I have not seen any of the nominees. To be honest, the only ones that appeal to me are Lincoln and Argo. I am on the fence for Zero Dark Thirty though. For some reason, all the controversy as to whether or not it's accurate (the torture scenes)makes me not want to see it if it's not true. confused Yet, I probably will. I hear the torture scenes are horrific. Maybe not a good comparison, BUT can they be any worse then the scenes from "The Passion Of The Christ?" uhwhat I sat in the theater seat and had to take a couple deep breathes before leaving. It left me exhausted. LOL

Oh, and can't recall the title, but I thought Naomi Watts was a Nominee for actress in the movie about the Tsunami. That looks good as well.

As I understand it, it's unlikely that either Argo or Zero Dark Thirty will get best picture because neither director is nominated (Don't remember if Spielberg was). It's only happened once in a good number of years I hear.

TIS
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 11:39 PM

These directorial snubs REALLY favor "Lincoln" and Spielberg. As an aside, I saw it over the holidays. Great movie. I'll be absolutely SHOCKED if Tommy Lee Jones loses out to DeNiro.

Oscar Watch: 'Lincoln' leads nods as shocking Best Director snubs knock out 'Les Miz,' 'Argo,' Zero Dark Thirty'

By Lou Lumenick, NY Post

It's hard to imagine a scenario where Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln,'' which led today's Oscar nominations with 12 nods, loses the Best Picture trophy next month after the director's branch decimated what were considered Spielberg's strongest competitors by denying them crucial nominations. (No film has won Best Picture without a Best Director nod since "Driving Miss Daisy'' in 1989.)

"Les Miserables,'' "Argo,'' and "Zero Dark Thirty'' were all nominated for Best Picture, along with with "Django Unchained.'' But their directors -- Tom Hooper, Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino, respectively -- were all snubbed in the Best Director race. Instead, lots of Oscar pundits were left with egg on their faces when the nods went instead to the other directors of Best Picture nominees that were considered weaker contenders: Michael Haneke ("Amour''), Ben Zeitlin ("Beasts of the Southern Wild''), Ang Lee ("Li of Pi'') and David O. Russell ("Silver Linings Playbook'').

A less shocking snub occured in the Best Actor race, where John Hawkes of "The Sessions'' got edged out in a field that includes Daniel Day-Lewis ("Lincoln''), a prohibitive favorite unless the academy hesitates about making him the first three-time winner in this category; Denzel Washington ("Flight''), Hugh Jackman ("Les Miserables''), Bradley Cooper ("Silver Linings Playbook'') and, perhaps most surprisingly, Joaquin Phoenix ("The Master'') who has expressed his contempt for awards.

Marion Cotillard also failed to get an expected nod for the French film "Rust and Bone'' in the Best Actress category, where the nominees include both the oldest-ever -- Emmanuelle Riva, 85, of "Amour'' -- and the youngest ever, nine-year-old Quvenzhane Wallis of "Beasts of the Southern Wild,'' as well as Naomi Watts ("The Impossible'') and the two leading contenders, Jennifer Lawrence ("Silver Linings Playbook'') and Jessica Chastain ("Zero Dark Thirty'').

"Silver Linings Playbook'' also scored nods for Best Supporting Actor -- where Robert De Niro will square off against four other past winners, Alan Arkin ("Argo''), Philip Seymour Hoffman ("The Master''), Tommy Lee Jones ("Lincoln'') and Christophe Waltz ("Django Unchained'') -- Best Supporting Actress (where Jacki Weaverr will be pitted against Amy Adams ("The Master''), Sally Field ("Lincoln'') and Helen Hunt ("The Sessions'') as well as for Russell's Adapted Screenplay and even Best Editing.

The Best Picture and Best Editing categories have become closely linked in recent years. The only Best Picture nominees that have both Best Director and Best Editing nominations are "Lincoln'' and "Life of Pi.'' So effectively, it's now a three film race for Best Picture, with "Lincoln'' way out in front.

Read more: Oscar Watch: 'Lincoln' leads nods as shocking Best Director snubs knock out 'Les Miz,' 'Argo,' Zero Dark Thirty' http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/osc...O#ixzz2HcQYNk24
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 11:48 PM

Why is Twilight" not on the list. smile.

Will The Hobbit be on next years list or is it not good enough..

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/10/13 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Will The Hobbit be on next years list or is it not good enough..

Everyone knows it's going to be a trilogy, just like they did with "Rings." That's why they waited for the third film to give them Best Picture.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:04 AM

Anyone watching "The Golden Globes?"

smile

TIS
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:07 AM

Me

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:11 AM

I was kind of hoping Leo would win, though haven't seen any of the movies.

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I was kind of hoping Leo would win, though haven't seen any of the movies.

smile

TIS

He's pretty much the modern day Peter O' Toole when it comes to winning awards.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:15 AM

I expect Lincoln & Daniel Day Lewis will win pic/actor. I do look forward to seeing the movie. smile

I like that they include tv also. smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:18 AM

I expect Lincoln & Daniel Day Lewis will win pic/actor. I do look forward to seeing the movie. smile

I like that they include tv also. smile

TIS

Lewis should win since I don't see anybody in the category to win it. Lincoln the movie might be difficult.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:19 AM

Yea, Game Change won (Tho I also liked Political Animals).

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:21 AM

Yea, Game Change won (Tho I also liked Political Animals).

smile

TIS

Never seen political animals. I did order Game Change on blu ray.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:33 AM

Best actor tv drama: Damien Lewis - Homeland

(no comment since I don't know him nor have I seen the show)

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:36 AM

Best TV series: Homeland (Not surprised)

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:37 AM

Yea no chance of boardwalk empire winning. I really want to get into homeland though.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: BAM_233
Yea no chance of boardwalk empire winning. I really want to get into homeland though.

Me too but I wanna see it from the beginning and I don't get Showtime. ohwell I've only heard good things about it.

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:43 AM

The first season is out on dvd/blu ray. Maybe on demand as well but, not sure.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:51 AM

Seriously, who ever remembers a song from a movie (well, seldom). I usually don't know them.

Remember the year that "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp" won? That took the cake IMHO. lol

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:56 AM

Best actor in a tv mini series: Kevin Costner (Hatfields & McCoys)

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 01:59 AM

Whoa!!! Bill Clinton? uhwhat What a surprise.

Ahhh, he's talking about "Lincoln". How appropriate for a President.

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 02:00 AM

Seriously, who ever remembers a song from a movie (well, seldom). I usually don't know them.

Remember the year that "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp" won? That took the cake IMHO. lol

TIS

I would think people still remember Live and Let Die.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: BAM_233

TIS

I would think people still remember Live and Let Die.

Yep, I gotta agree with you there. That IS a good one. smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 02:06 AM

Best actress in comedy/musical - Jennifer Lawrence
Btw, I know you won't care Bam, but I like her dress. lol

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 02:09 AM

Best actress in comedy/musical - Jennifer Lawrence

smile

TIS

Only saw Meryl or maybe Judi Dench winning (only because she is retiring from acting)

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 02:25 AM

Screenplay - Quentin Tarentino

smile

TIS
Posted By: olivant

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 02:33 AM

TIS, what awards? I thought Oscars were next month.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
TIS, what awards? I thought Oscars were next month.

Golden globes

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 02:35 AM

Oli,

Golden Globes on NBC. Covers both movies/tv .It's about halfway thru.

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 02:38 AM

Best Actress Drama - Claire Danes Homeland

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 03:10 AM

Ok, I thought Jodi Foster came out a while back. Is she trying to announce she's gay? Btw, I lost sound for a couple minutes.

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 03:15 AM

Ok, I thought Jodi Foster came out a while back. Is she trying to announce she's gay? Btw, I lost sound for a couple minutes.

smile

TIS

As far as I know she never came out? I really have no idea what she meant by that, either trying to make a joke or something else?

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 03:20 AM

Well it certainly sounded like she was having a hard time just coming out and saying it. Like I said tho, the station lost sound for a minute or so, so maybe I missed it. Glad I'm not the only one who was confused. confused

Anyway, she is a very good actress and has done a good variety of roles, like she said from a very very young age.

Btw, if I'm not mistaken wasn't she the Coopertone toddler in the ads from way back?

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 03:21 AM

Well it certainly sounded like she was having a hard time just coming out and saying it. Like I said tho, the station lost sound for a minute or so, so maybe I missed it. Glad I'm not the only one who was confused. confused

Anyway, she is a very good actress and has done a good variety of roles, like she said from a very very young age.

Btw, if I'm not mistaken wasn't she the Coopertone toddler in the ads from way back?

TIS

I believe so

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 03:33 AM

Best actor musical/comedy Hugh Jackman

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 03:49 AM

Best actress drama Jessica Chastain - "Zero Dark Thirty"

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 03:51 AM

Best actor drama - Daniel Day Lewis Lincoln

smile

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 03:55 AM

Best actor drama - Daniel Day Lewis Lincoln

He looks like Lincoln with his hair cut like that.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 03:58 AM

Best movie Drama - "Argo" I'm really surprised

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 04:00 AM

Best movie Drama - "Argo" I'm really surprised

smile

TIS

Not really, it looks like a really good and interesting movie.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 04:07 AM

I'm not saying Argo's not a good movie, it's just that I would have bet money on Lincoln. I actually had my post all written up before submitting it, with Lincoln as winning. I was that sure. Clearly, what do I know? lol

TIS
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 04:26 AM

TIS, it seemed like Jodie Foster was kind of making a statement about how it wasn't really the business of the public to know about her sexuality - sort of a non-coming-out speech, I guess. As I watched it, I too was wondering if she'd already come out before, or if this was a set-up for a joke, but it seemed to be a commentary on privacy, with her saying she'd already had the discussion with her loved ones and that it didn't need to be addressed so publicly. The parts addressed to her kids and her mom were really touching.

I really liked the bit that I heard of Lena Dunham's actress speech. I've never seen her show or even known of her, but I love when winners pay tribute to the other nominees and thought it was sweet that she said all the other ladies had gotten her through tough times with their work.. and she seemed very real in everything she said.

P.S. I love Tina and Amy!

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 04:37 AM

Hey Gina, yea, Foster's speech was a bit confusing. I swear about a year or so ago she came out so I was confused as to what she was actually saying. confused

Yes, Amy & Tina were great. I too, never heard of Girls. I do have HBO tho and may check it out.

George Clooney looked pretty hot! (I had to just throw that in.) lol

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 04:54 AM

Yup, I added "Girls" to my to-watch list - but unfortunately, that list is already way too long for any possible completion anytime soon!

And there's nothing wrong with checking out Clooney.. I'm sure he's used to it! lol

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/14/13 08:28 AM

Best actor tv drama: Damien Lewis - Homeland

(no comment since I don't know him nor have I seen the show)

smile

TIS

He deserved it imo.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/19/13 03:37 AM

Hey Gina, yea, Foster's speech was a bit confusing. I swear about a year or so ago she came out so I was confused as to what she was actually saying. confused

She didn't come out, but she's mentioned her partner more than once in acceptance speeches in blink and miss moments that didn't register in the MSM.

I think this just highlights the difference of attitudes between different generations of gay/lesbian actors. People like Foster and Kevin Spacey will never "come out" publicly in the media as no big deal like younger actors like Zachary Quinto or Neil Patrick Harris did. Even if everybody and their Mom knows they're gay, they'll shy away from it like the plague because of their backgrounds of breaking into Hollywood and learning/taught that their orientations known publicly would hurt their careers.

Meanwhile, John Hinckley feels like a complete dumbass now.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/19/13 09:07 AM

Wow, Kevin Spacey is gay?! This is the first I'm hearing this. I add that I still care when I see a left handed person as well. lol Though that's none of my business, it's still interesting. grin
Posted By: RichieAnimal

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/19/13 12:18 PM

A lot of actors are gay, but if they actually come out with it they would not get the leading man parts they used to get before.

My thoughts on spacey very good actor, pretty funny guy and great impressions.

You know there are a lot of guys who get awards in other categories who look real gay. Then they thank their wives and children.

Why do these guys think we give a shit if they are gay or not as long as they can act.

Like in sports tge same thing. If they can play who cares what they are

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/19/13 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Wow, Kevin Spacey is gay?! This is the first I'm hearing this. I add that I still care when I see a left handed person as well. lol Though that's none of my business, it's still interesting. grin

I too am surprised about Spacey but don't know why people conclude he's gay. confused Has he "almost" come out or something? Anyway I like him.

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/19/13 03:16 PM

I think this just highlights the difference of attitudes between different generations of gay/lesbian actors. People like Foster and Kevin Spacey will never "come out" publicly in the media as no big deal like younger actors like Zachary Quinto or Neil Patrick Harris did.

How will you handle it when your time comes, Ronnie? grin

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/19/13 03:19 PM

I too am surprised about Spacey but don't know why people conclude he's gay. confused Has he "almost" come out or something? Anyway I like him.

I like him, too. And I don't give a shit that he's gay. But that rumor/non-denial has been around Hollywood for years, Tis.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/19/13 03:21 PM

And I think that Doogie Howser was a tweener where his coming out was concerned. He was pretty much caught in between the generations. He came out. Big time. But he waited until he was in his 30's to do so.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/19/13 04:12 PM

There was an adult soccer team that played in the CSL in the west village. They made it a point to mention that fact on the leagues web site. I guess they only wanted gays on that team. That was why they were never any good.

My club was the Brooklyn Italians. Most of the coaches were Italian. But the players were from every nationality and religion. Why, because we wanted to win and took anyone as long as they could play.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/19/13 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I like him, too. And I don't give a shit that he's gay. But that rumor/non-denial has been around Hollywood for years, Tis.

I like him three. lol Anywho, this was news to me, but then I'm not that much into these sorts of gossip around actors.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/23/13 06:11 PM

Adele will perform her "Skyfall" at the Oscars ceremony.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/26/13 09:04 PM

Has anyone seen Hyde Park on the Hudson with Bill Murray. He plays FDR. It's up for SAG award. In the trailer he looked pretty good. That's quite a switch of sorts for him, but he does have a good dramatic streak in him.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/28/13 03:53 AM

Well the SAG Awards, a good (if not always reliable) indicator who will win the acting Oscars happened tonight.

Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis
Actress - Jennifer Lawrence
Supporting Actor - Tommy Lee Jones
Supporting Actress - Anne Hathaway

ARGO won Best Acting Ensemble (the big SAG prize) and having also won the PGA award, some people really think its still the front-runner for the Best Picture Oscar, despite having no nomination for Best Director.

The last time we had a Best Picture winner without a Director nomination was DRIVING MISS DAISY.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/29/13 01:04 PM

Adele is going to be singing the theme tune to SKYFALL at the Oscars??? That is seriously the worst Bond song i have ever heard so all the stars better have their ear plugs in on the night.

Oh sorry i forgot, i am the only person in the world who doesn't particularly care for old Adele...... lol

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/29/13 01:43 PM

I have not seen Argo as yet. But the trailers for it look very good. You can't buy it till mid feb.

The best male supporting actor in a movie in my mind was an actor not even nominated.

In les Miserables Sasha cowan was great. They obviously made his part bigger because he was great and yet no nomination. He was funny and he could sing.
Posted By: Jame002

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/31/13 07:13 AM

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 01/31/13 02:55 PM

Ironically, I actually buy Deadline's argument that Affleck's snub may've reignited the fire under the ass of ARGO's Oscar campaign.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/03/13 02:25 PM

Affleck won the DGA prize for Best Director last night and it does seem ARGO will win the Best Picture Oscar. (Capo, put the gun away from your temple.)

It'll be just the 7th time that the DGA and Best Director Oscar winner don't match. Which also begs another question: Who's winning the Best Director Oscar?!?

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/03/13 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Jame002

Why did you copy and paste my comment? confused lol
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/11/13 10:47 AM

Well at the BAFTAS last night, ARGO won best film and Mr. Affleck won best Director. Day-Lewis and Hathaway won the best lead roles respectively!

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/21/13 02:00 PM

John Williams this year was nominated for Best Original Score for LINCOLN, his 43rd Oscar nomination. The most nominations by any living person, 2nd most all-time (only Walt Disney has more.)

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/22/13 02:02 AM

Since it's Oscar time, here's a list of Academy Award winning "original" songs. Can you name the movie they are from. smile I know. A couple are "give-aways." wink

The only song I did NOT know was from a movie is "Mona Lisa." AND, I can honestly say I have not heard of the movie. confused

Somewhere Over The Rainbow
When You Wish Upon A Star
White Christmas
Mona Lisa
Three Coins In A Fountain
Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
Moon River
Chim Chim Chiree
Windmills Of Your Mind
Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
For All We Know
The Morning After
The Way We Were
You Light Up My Life
Up Where We Belong
FlashDance (What a Feeling)
I've Had The Time Of My Life
Beauty & The Beast
Can You Feel The Love Tonight
My Heart Will Go On

TIS

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pat-gallagher/best-movie-songs_b_2712278.html

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/23/13 02:47 AM

Believe it or not, if Adele wins Best Original Song for SKYFALL, that'll be the first time a 007 song won that Oscar.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/23/13 02:53 AM

Believe it or not, if Adele wins Best Original Song for SKYFALL, that'll be the first time a 007 song won that Oscar.

There have been a few good Bond songs. Goldfinger was a very popular tune; Live & Let Die come to mind. And, wasn't it Nancy Sinatra who sang "You Only Live Twice?" (I'm not a big Bond fan and know I am missing other popular Bond themes). smile

TIS
Posted By: EastHarlemItal

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/23/13 03:10 AM

I'm not a music guy whatsoever, I will say the music was times perfectly in Skyfall! Worked every scene to create the moment! Even the song when that creep came in on the helicopter was great!
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/23/13 04:21 AM

i think i might be the only person i know who didnt think skyfall was a big deal, it was alright

maybe i should re-watch it...lol

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/23/13 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
i think i might be the only person i know who didnt think skyfall was a big deal, it was alright

maybe i should re-watch it...lol

Movie sucked, it never took off! It seemed like it would get exiting when he returned to England? I'm no RocketBoy. However I give it half a meatball!
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/23/13 06:55 AM

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do my annual live coverage this year -- I got tickets to an early show before I realized it was Oscar night!

Besides, last year didn't I say that I'd prefer to do the Emmy's instead? TV is more interesting to me since I watch a hella lot of it compared to current theatrical films....

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/23/13 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do my annual live coverage this year -- I got tickets to an early show before I realized it was Oscar night!

Besides, last year didn't I say that I'd prefer to do the Emmy's instead? TV is more interesting to me since I watch a hella lot of it compared to current theatrical films....

Well, not sure what time it's on. If it means missing "The Walking Dead", I won't watch all or most of it. Even tho it's here in CA they sometimes have it on time delay (don't know how). If it's on at 6:00 p.m. here I'll tune in.

I watch more tv lately than I go to see movies so I'm with you Geoff. Btw, how the heck are you? smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/23/13 05:23 PM

Btw, how the heck are you? smile

A-OK here, TIS, how about you? Winter (thankfully) is flying by! smile
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 01:09 AM

We don't go to the movies any more. It's just gotten too expensive. I'd rather wait for the DVD to be released to the Redbox and get it for $1.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
We don't go to the movies any more.

I never really went a lot to begin with, but if something would look spectacular on a huge screen (Avatar 3D, Lord of the Rings, etc) I'm more inclined to see it than something like Lincoln. I have Netflix for that stuff.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 01:39 AM

Netflix streaming sucks for movies. However, it is good if you want to catch up on older seasons of TV shows (and they finally started streaming The West Wing!!!).

Given that we have a 55 inch flat screen, that's good enough for DVDs.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 02:13 PM

Netflix streaming sucks for movies. However, it is good if you want to catch up on older seasons of TV shows (and they finally started streaming The West Wing!!!).

I have a Roku HD box for streaming, and it displays great if the original is offered in HD. Can barely tell! But sure, older programs from decades ago look like VHS. Love the fact I can rewatch TV shows from the 80s and be all nostalgic.

I hear what you're saying; my 46" LED LCD works just fine, too -- especially with Blu-ray, you get absorbed into it just fine. But there's something about a 40-foot screen for majestic content now and then. And necessary for 3D (I'm not THAT evolved at home yet, and not sure if the tech is yet, either).
Posted By: fathersson

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 03:56 PM

Boy, have times changed. Pops says the they used to be lucky to have some 20 inch TVs in the house years ago, and then he said as kids they only had ONE TV in the whole house and that was black and white at first. 3 maybe 4 channels and public service stations.
Today the Average. TV in the house is 50 to 55 inch HD TVS where you can see a pimple on a TV anchors face and there are several of them throughout the house. The computer monitor right in front of me is 26 inches. lol and has more colors then ever before.
How about several hundred channels and several sources of programing to choose from on these new sets. cool And internet too!

Last time I/we all went shopping in the mall, we were looking at 70 plus size TV. Mom kept saying no! We have enough and they are big enough already! lol

Phones and TV...people want the newest, largest and fastest there is.
We are getting closer to the whole wall screens soon. And I don't mean projection types which to me isn't real TV.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 04:12 PM

I remember first we had 2 channels and then 3. Not only that, after midnight or so, all you'd get is a test pattern. lol Of course there was the National Anthem that would start the morning off at what? 6:00 a.m.?

And remotes were not even heard of. uhwhat You had to get your ass up off the couch if you wanted to change the channel. lol

Probably getting off-topic here, BUT if there was a movie you were dying to see, you'd wait til it came on tv and if you missed it.....you had to wait for it to come on again.

Yea, we've come a long way baby!!!!! wink

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 05:46 PM

Here in NJ at least, we had a rotor on the antenna so we can turn it toward either NYC or Philly to pick up different stations.

Our first remote came in the early 80s with cable, but it was attached with a chord (not wireless), and was almost the size of your lap with buttons on it.

My SIL just reposted this to Facebook this morning -- you've probably seen it before, but so true!
Quote:
Hilarious! Growing up without a cell phone

If you are 36, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways...yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

1) I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

2) There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

6) We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

7) There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOSH !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

8) And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

9) We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

12) And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

13) And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!

See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!

Regards,
The Over 40 Crowd

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 05:58 PM

That is SO true Geoff. I remember those days well.

One of my favorite stories I'll always remember is from just a couple years ago when I was talking to my granddaughter (about 7 years old) on the phone. I asked her to hand phone to her mom on and she said "I can't. I'm talking on the phone with the "dangly thing." I found out after a few questions that she was using the phone on the fax machine. I mean she's never had to use a phone with a cord. lol

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 06:16 PM

Here in NJ at least, we had a rotor on the antenna so we can turn it toward either NYC or Philly to pick up different stations.

And that was the beginning of a New York wannabe.

My mother used to tell the story of when my parents first got tv. They had, literally, one of the first tv sets in the neighborhood. My dad actually built the set for one of his customers (a bar owner). The owner couldn't pay for the set so my dad took it back and kept it at home (this was before I was born but my sister and brother benefited from this). One night, my mother was doing her ironing and she had the tv on. It was around 11:00 at night and there was only one station broadcasting then (remember that this was around 1949 or so). My mom actually called up one of the tv stations and complained. She told them that her husband got a tv but there was nothing to watch (my mom lived for confrontations like that lol ). The station actually aired a movie right then and there for her!! (It was some Claude Rains movie but my mother didn't remember which movie it was in later years).

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 06:27 PM

And remotes were not even heard of. uhwhat You had to get your ass up off the couch if you wanted to change the channel. lol

TIS

I remember my dad yelling at us because we would would spin that dial like it was a roulette wheel.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 06:34 PM

TIS

I remember my dad yelling at us because we would would spin that dial like it was a roulette wheel.

Oh yea, I remember. TV Dials???? Thing of the past.

On another note, if we had tv problems, I remember my dad taking the panel off the back of the tv. He's look at the tubes and if one was burned out he'd take it off and send us to the local appliance store to buy a replacement. lol Geez, now try figuring out the insides of a tv?? panic Yes, those were simpler days weren't they?

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 07:51 PM

We didn't get our first color TV until I was a teenager. My aunt and uncle bought it for us a housewarming gift when we left the Bronx and bought a house in the suburbs.

When I was little, my brothers (12 and 14 when I was born) had their own TV in their bedroom. It was a small black and white on a rolling stand. One of them fell asleep with it on. He was too lazy to get out bed to turn it off, so he tried to hit the off button with his foot. Unfortunately, he hit it a bit too hard and knocked the TV off the stand. The SOUND it made, my goodness! All those tubes inside shattered. He was in biiiiig trouble! lol

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 08:09 PM

Remember that warning on the back of the TV: if you remove this panel you will absolutely, right there and then be electrocuted to death.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/24/13 08:13 PM

It is not just the picture any more...we are talking sound! surround sound with wireless speakers that are so small you don't even notice them, but it sounds like you are right there.

Watch auto racing an you feel like the cars are running thru your room, or a basketball game and your in the crowd cheering.

The colors are so real looking and the clear and sharp pictures get better and better with each new release.

Posted By: Skinny

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 12:01 AM

Not even watching. Dont care.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 12:11 AM

Ronnie is probably having an orgasm

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Ronnie is probably having an orgasm

Not yet, he's still in Ballett class!

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 12:21 AM

He probably dressed up put a corset in and a fake press sticker and is standing in plain view dressed like a women lol

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
He probably dressed up put a corset in and a fake press sticker and is standing in plain view dressed like a women lol

JoeSchmo there reading from a Gay/ Bi/ Transexual pamphlet defending him!
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 01:31 AM

We had that too, on good days we'd pick up signals from different tv markets.

TIS

Oh yea, I remember. TV Dials???? Thing of the past.
On another note, if we had tv problems, I remember my dad taking the panel off the back of the tv. He's look at the tubes and if one was burned out he'd take it off and send us to the local appliance store to buy a replacement. lol Geez, now try figuring out the insides of a tv?? panic Yes, those were simpler days weren't they?

TIS

The young guys have no idea how it was back then before cable tv. You had ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS on the main dial and then depending where you lived a few more channels on UHF. And that UHF antenna was a real pain in the ass. After midnight there was rarely even anything on worth watching.

We got our first color tv in the late 1960's but before that it was strickly B&W for us. Me and my siblings used to fight over what we'd watch when we first got that RCA color tv, some brutal inter-family fights back then. mad

I remember those tubes very well too, my father would take them out and a few local stores had those tube testers back then where he'd check to see if they were dead or not.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 01:36 AM

Watching Seth McFarland on Oscars. OMG on the Chris Brown/Rhianna joke. uhwhat

Seth's song...:"We saw your boobs." lol

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 01:52 AM

Don't know how long I'll be around to post, but it's early here and I'm watching Oscars

Supporting Actor

Alan Arkin - Argo
Robert DeNiro - Silver Lining Playbook
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

WINNER: Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)

smile

I'm guessing that was a surprise!

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 02:00 AM

Best Animated feature film

Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph

WINNER: BRAVE

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 02:08 AM

Cinematography

Anna Karenina, Seamus McGarvey
Django Unchained, Robert Richardson
Life of Pi, Claudio Miranda
Lincoln, Janusz Kaminski
Skyfall, Roger Deakins

WINNER: LIFE OF PI Also won for visual effects

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 03:31 AM

Ok, I'm tuning in to a couple episodes of "Walking Dead." Oscars not all that good (I assume I'm not alone in that thought) tho I am curious as to best picture actor/actress.

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 03:44 AM

Even for Oscar standards (which is usually pretty low)...this show blows.

I did like how Adele had the orchestra and backing vocal choir and of course youth...and Shirley Bassey who's 76 years old was incredibly better, just by herself singing to a backing track.

Waltz winning Supporting Actor stunned the Internet, reading reactions. I figured Jones or DeNiro would win.

And how about that tie? We got a friggin Tie in one of the Sound categories.

EDIT - and BRAVE winning Best Animated Feature surprised me too.

Mots remarkable about that win was Brenda Chapman, one of the two credited directors, was fired from the movie by Pixar and replaced with Mark Andrews.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 03:51 AM

I did like how Adele had the orchestra and backing vocal choir and of course youth...and Shirley Bassey who's 76 years old was incredibly better, just by herself singing to a backing track.

Waltz winning Supporting Actor stunned the Internet, reading reactions. I figured Jones or DeNiro would win.

And how about that tie? We got a friggin Tie in one of the Sound categories.

EDIT - and BRAVE winning Best Animated Feature surprised me too.

Mots remarkable about that win was Brenda Chapman, one of the two credited directors, was fired from the movie by Pixar and replaced with Mark Andrews.

What's that your wearing tonight Ronnie?

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 04:14 AM

...and Shirley Bassey who's 76 years old was incredibly better,

Bassey was incredibly awful.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: SC

Adele needs to put down the fork do you agree SC?

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 04:20 AM

I liked the beginning song/dance numbers (The Way You Look Tonight for one) but it got worse. Why is the Chicago 10 year anniversary so special? confused Then again, I'm picky with musicals. It's gotta be music I like.

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 04:22 AM

OH, Come on...give me a break. For her age and how long ago that she sang that, she was great!

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 04:25 AM

Loved Jennifer Hudson, and the cast of Les Mis. And Zeta-Jones looked and sounded great. Chicago won for Best Picture that year (although it probably didn't deserve it), so I guess that makes it special this year.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 04:28 AM

Tarantino gets "Best Original Screenplay" oscar.

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 04:35 AM

Ang Lee gets "Best Director for "Life of Pi." Wow, is it possible that Lincoln WON'T get best picture? confused

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 04:40 AM

I DVR'd it, so I'm a little bit behind everyone else. Just seeing Streisand. Damn, she still sounds good. How old is she now?

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 04:56 AM

AND best picture is......ARGO!! Wow, I am surprised. I would have guessed Lincoln. How nice Michelle Obama looks too.
smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 05:01 AM

Seth McFarland on Oscars- C minus

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 05:34 AM

The best part was Ben Affleck's acceptance speech.

What was with all the beards? It made some of the men look 112.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 05:58 AM

Alotta bolshit

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 06:41 AM

I usually like Seth MacFarlane, but well, not as much tonight.

I hardly cracked a smile during the entire telecast, partly, probably, because I haven't seen any of the films. But I will say, there are some I do want to see now, so I guess that's good....

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 08:41 AM

I can honestly say that i've never watched the Oscars due to the time difference.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 10:03 AM

I can honestly say that i've never watched the Oscars due to the time difference.

Well I heard Oscar was a Gemini?
Posted By: Lilo

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 11:08 AM

Breast dress of the night lol

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 12:40 PM

That's a good thing! We should have a full recap from RonnieRocketAGO today. With a live debate!

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 01:26 PM

Don't know the exact figures/odds but very unusual that Best Director award isn't given to the film that won Best Picture. I really thought Lincoln would win.

Of the nominated films however, the only ones that appeal to me are Lincoln & Argo.

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo

Good to see double breasted is back in style.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 02:36 PM

Don't know the exact figures/odds but very unusual that Best Director award isn't given to the film that won Best Picture. I really thought Lincoln would win.

Of the nominated films however, the only ones that appeal to me are Lincoln & Argo.
smile

TIS

Am I the only one who thought Argo was just OK, not super great?
and if it was so great, why wasn't Ben given a nod at Best Director?

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: fathersson

Am I the only one who thought Argo was just OK, not super great?
and if it was so great, why wasn't Ben given a nod at Best Director?

Because at the time of voting for the nominations, ARGO wasn't a front-runner. It actually sorta faded away, as happens to movies it seems that don't open in November-December. Academy voters have short memory spans.

But then that Affleck "snub" happened, and incredibly it gave fire back to ARGO's campaign.

Who knows? If Affleck had been nominated himself from the get-go, ARGO might not have won Best Picture. That would be LINCOLN probably.

I give props to George Clooney (won a Best Picture Oscar as a producer of ARGO) for not giving an Oscar speech. Incredibly believe it or not, his 8th Oscar nomination and 6th different category to be nominated for. He previously was nominated for Actor, Supporting Actor*, Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, and Director.

*=Which he won his first Oscar for. Can't remember the movie's title off the top of my head.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/25/13 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo

Good to see double breasted is back in style.

Tacky if you ask me..
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/26/13 02:04 AM

Saw the last 30 minutes of the oscars, best actor,actress, and film. Most important parts of the show IMO.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/27/13 08:46 PM

[I give props to George Clooney (won a Best Picture Oscar as a producer of ARGO) for not giving an Oscar speech. Incredibly believe it or not, his 8th Oscar nomination and 6th different category to be nominated for. He previously was nominated for Actor, Supporting Actor*, Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, and Director.

*=Which he won his first Oscar for. Can't remember the movie's title off the top of my head.

The only other person to have been nominated in six separate caregories was Walt Disney.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 02/28/13 02:10 AM

BTW, just checked and he won for Syriana.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 03/01/13 10:55 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why some people are still butthurt over the First Lady appearing at the Oscars.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 03/02/13 05:57 AM

Late to the talk here, just gotta say I'm loving Christoph Waltz more and more. He was terrifying in Inglourious Basterds and charming/eccentric in Django. Seems like a funny guy in "real life," too.

And that was the only Oscar-relevant movie I saw, so I was glad to see him and Tarantino win something for it!

BTW, Ronnie, you'll probably enjoy this (if you haven't already seen it): http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/new-tarantino-movie/n32896/

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season - 03/03/13 11:25 AM

Well deserved win for ARGO imo but i personally thought Joaquin Phoenix should've won the best actor oscar for The Master.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET