Home

Kojak: The best mob episode

Posted By: SEAN_SOUTH

Kojak: The best mob episode - 11/14/12 09:40 PM

Was watching the Kojak film the other night with Michael V. Gazzo
from 1975 and have to say this has to go down as one of the most underated mob films of all time.

Ok, so the plot isn't perfect and there are parts of it that may seem a little retro now but overall the characters and the backdrop of 70's New York City make it for me.

I miss that old New York accent, like the Greek crook selling furs for the mob when he's on the blower to his wife, giving it "I know its Tuesday, nine years we been married now, every week I wake up and I think to myself tonight's the night I could eat your mother's potato pancakes, don't talk to me about Tuesday".

It got me all nostalgic, even though I grew up mostly in the 80's the kinds of characters on Kojak really bought me back.

The one where Kojak goes to NJ is good too, 'Across The River' and the mob have the Chief in so deep he has to runaround like a no-good gopher and Kojak ends up getting into a brawl with two mob guys in the club.

ANyone think of the best Kojak episode with the mob?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 11/14/12 09:45 PM

Great show. Great episode. I have the entire series on dvd and routinely sing its praises here as the most gritty and realistic television portrayal of the New York City that I grew up in (I was born in 1959).

The episode that you're referring to also co-stars a couple of guys named Eli Wallach and Jerry Orbach. Not bad company if you ask me. Two of the most prolific New York City actors who ever lived.

Are you from New York, Sean?
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 11/14/12 11:03 PM

Although growing up I didn't watch it often myself, Kojak was my father's favorite show.

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 11/15/12 12:41 AM

Quote:
Great show. Great episode. I have the entire series on dvd and routinely sing its praises here as the most gritty and realistic television portrayal of the New York City that I grew up in (I was born in 1959).

The episode that you're referring to also co-stars a couple of guys named Eli Wallach and Jerry Orbach. Not bad company if you ask me. Two of the most prolific New York City actors who ever lived.

Are you from New York, Sean?

Quality stuff, thanks for the info. Grew up in Inwood west Of Broadway. Then moved to Bedford Park up by Norwood.

Just saw another episode with a jewel thief, reminds me of a character everyone knew on the UWS, very suave, always one step ahead, the mob hitman tries to blast him through the window, that guy is another great actor.

Thanks Pizzaguy, will have to look out for those other posts on Kojak. Couldn't agree more.
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 11/25/12 05:29 AM

The episode of Kojak you guys are talking about was the first episode of the shows 3rd season.

It was a 2 part episode and was called "A Question of Answers".

Great show, i used to watch it all the time. cool

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 11/26/12 10:27 PM

I've been watching quite a bit of it lately and can't think of any modern Cop shows that really have the same grit. Writers like John Gores were different class.

Just saw another one called 'The Nicest Guys On The Block' and it had me in tears. Two mad wiseguys one flew in from Chicago and the other from Miami. When the Cops "haul tail with the diamonds" and the nice guy from the social club tries to plead for some understanding he gets shot down in flames "Where do you chicken munchers get off mad?"

Guy responds "I know you don't think we're pros but we've been doing well up to now" and the fella just slams him to the door "Well this morning you be perfect rolleyes . We'll be waiting here for yer mad".

When the guy is gone he just flicks his thumb behind to the door, looks at his buddy and goes "Pros? These guys. No way ".

lol

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 12/12/13 10:14 PM

I was just watching the season four dvd set and came across an episode with Rosie Grier and Danny Aiello (how young they were!). Rosie played a bounty hunter and Danny played a mob guy (big surprise whistle).

Anyway, they were all after a hitman named Tony Mirra. I'd never picked up on it before even though I'd seen the episode many times before. But I wonder if they didn't borrow the name from the Bonanno soldier of the same name? I mean, Mirra was well known to law enforcement by 1976 (when the episode originally aired), and your Hollywood types have always had an in or two in that world, so I wonder?
Posted By: olivant

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 12/12/13 10:19 PM

I watched it every week and I remember the episode with Stallone in it.

That show spawned the cops-in-suits genre among real detectives.
Posted By: DonMega1888

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 07/22/14 05:29 PM

Was watching it the other night great show

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 08/30/14 12:02 AM

Got the first season on DVD,

Great opening episode with Harvey keitel

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 08/30/14 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: DonMega1888
Got the first season on DVD,

Great opening episode with Harvey keitel

David Proval, too wink.

Keitel and Proval filmed the pilot for "Kojak" shortly after they finished filming "Mean Streets."

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 08/30/14 04:07 PM

Lol didn't even notice proval was in it panic

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 08/30/14 11:42 PM

Seen this guy on the mobsters show on BIO plenty of times,he also wrote five family's

Had no idea the show was based off his work, a book called justice in the backroom
Posted By: alexandarns

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 08/31/14 09:59 AM

Hey guys,i am gonna download kojak now.what's the best season?Dont wanna watch it all.heard season 2,is that right?

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 08/31/14 10:01 AM

Try Hulu.com or primewire.ag you don't have to download it just watch it streaming online

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 08/31/14 11:01 AM

Hey thanks ill do that..second season yes or no? smile

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 08/31/14 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: alexandarns
Hey thanks ill do that..second season yes or no? smile

Second season is EXCELLENT, Alex.

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 08/31/14 11:21 AM

Ok thanks pb.gettin right on it
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/01/14 09:35 AM

The re-make of the show with Ving Rhames was awful.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/01/14 09:38 AM

CHAZZ Palminteri was on that show and he couldn't save it!

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/01/14 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
CHAZZ Palminteri was on that show and he couldn't save it!

I love Chazz, and he's great at playing to his strengths (neighborhood types). But to be painfully honest, he's pretty limited as an actor.

As far as the "Kojak" remake, I never watched it. But one of the main selling points of the original was the character's Greek roots (more than a few episodes centered around his Greek family). They took that away is casting a non-Greek.

That's nothing against Rhames. I think he's a great actor. But Theo Kojak is Greek. Period.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/01/14 11:45 AM

Only Telly Savalas could look tough sucking on a lollipop. "Who loves ya baby." Never missed a show.

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/01/14 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Only Telly Savalas could look tough sucking on a lollipop. "Who loves ya baby." Never missed a show.

It's true, MC.

That show was on at the same time that Henry Winkler played the Fonz and John Travolta played Barbarino. And the coolest guy on television---by daylight---was a fifty-something year old bald guy from Garden City smile.

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/03/14 01:31 PM

pic host

Just came across this pic, of telly with jennifer aniston and her parents, as he stood in as godfather to her

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/03/14 01:40 PM

Yup, Telly was also Godfather to Nicollette Sheridan. He was apparently a great guy.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/03/14 03:58 PM

Aniston's real surname is Anastassakis, which was changed when her family moved to the U.S. from Greece. Her father is legendary soap star John Aniston ('Days Of Our Lives'), who was close friends with Savalas.

I didn't know Selwyn Raab was a writer on Kojak. Great show!

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/05/14 10:52 AM

Gotta go with Episode 2 of season 1 is my fav at the moment with Hector Elizondo, guest staring,

posted image

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/13/14 12:16 AM

Ordered season 2 & 3 be here by Monday smile

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/26/14 05:17 PM

DVD's arrivived ,
ALot of great guests appearances on second season,

Really well written episodes too

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/26/14 05:43 PM

In season three you'll find the episode where Stallone played a young cop who accidentally shot and killed a young boy. It was filmed in the Summer of '75, which was just before he began writing "Rocky." He was 29 years old at the time.

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/26/14 05:47 PM

Nice smile

Seen Leslie neilson and Bruno kirby episodes

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 09/26/14 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: DonMega1888
Nice smile

Seen Leslie neilson and Bruno kirby episodes

You should order the "Columbo" dvds next, buddy. Bruno Kirby's father, Bruce, had a semi-regular part.

You can see the resemblance.

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 10/13/14 01:44 PM

Yeh I've seen his dad as in actor in a few films over years, had no idea that was his dad,

Gotta go with queen of the gypsys as best episode of season 2,

Re: Kojak: The best mob episode - 11/09/14 06:04 AM

was checking the progess on the avalanches new album , came across this kojak tribute they did, lol

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET