Home

Prison Films

Posted By: MaryCas

Prison Films - 03/22/12 01:21 AM

This week on AMC, they are showcasing "Shawshank Redemption", one of my all time favs. There is something captivating about a prison film. Maybe its the struggle of the human spirit against incarceration. I find them (the good ones) to be very appealing. Besides Shawshank:
- King Rat
- Bridge Over the River Kwai
- Stalag 17
- Papillon
- Midnight Express
- The Green Mile
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Prison Films - 03/22/12 05:26 PM

Longest Yard?
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Prison Films - 03/25/12 02:11 PM

MC, I love Shawshank Redemption. But one of my all time favorites has to be BRUTE FORCE.

Other favs that instantly come to mind:

The Great Escape
The Green Mile
Papillon
Escape From Alctraz
Woman's Prison

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Prison Films - 03/25/12 02:50 PM

You know, I forgot all about The Great Escape. I can't even tell you when I saw it last, but I loved it. smile

TIS
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Prison Films - 03/25/12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
But one of my all time favorites has to be BRUTE FORCE.

My absolute, all-time favorite. Unbeatable cast. Memorable Lancaster. Brilliant dialog. Genius casting of meek-looking Hume Cronyn as the scary, vicious Captain Munsey.

Quote:
Woman's Prison

Now, there is the all-time championship B-movie. Hits every possible high (and low) spot for a Fifties prison film. Poor, frightened gal in on bum rap...prostitute with heart of gold...token black prisoner singing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"...goodhearted doctor...vicious female warden with lesbian overtones...how could they miss? Love it! I used to keep a VHS of "Women's Prison" in my office at work. Showed it to people in my group. They loved it! I don't think it's available to buy (I recorded it off the air).
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Prison Films - 03/25/12 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Stalag 17

I love "Stalag 17." I watch it several times a year. But if POW movies count as prison films, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention "The Purple Heart." It's my favorite POW movie ever. Dana Andrew and Richard Conte turned in what I thought were their best performances ever. And that's really saying something.
Posted By: SC

Re: Prison Films - 03/25/12 05:53 PM

I'm surprised nobody has included "Cool Hand Luke" on their list. Paul Newman was absolutely superb in it.

Also, while not a "true" prison film, I'd list "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" here. Stephen King gets two listings from me, "The Green Mile" (one of my all-time favorite movies) and "The Shawshank Redemption".

I'll round off my half dozen with "The Great Escape" and "Midnight Express".

Re: Prison Films - 03/25/12 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention "The Purple Heart." It's my favorite POW movie ever.

Mine, too.
Quote:
Dana Andrew
"They'll come by day, and they'll come by night. And they won't stop till they wipe your dirty little island off the face of the map."

Quote:
and Richard Conte
"Sick? Sick? He's never been sick a day in his life! What did you do to him, you fiends!"
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Prison Films - 03/25/12 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
I'm surprised nobody has included "Cool Hand Luke" on their list. Paul Newman was absolutely superb in it.

Also, while not a "true" prison film, I'd list "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" here.

Yipes, you're right. "Cool Hand Luke", one of moviedoms greatest quotes, "what we have here, is a failure to communicate".

Cuckoo's Nest can certainly qualify as a prison movie. McMurphy was incarcerated for evaluation. "Juicy Fruit". Great film, great cast and performances.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Prison Films - 03/25/12 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
"They'll come by day, and they'll come by night. And they won't stop till they wipe your dirty little island off the face of the map."

Re: Prison Films - 03/25/12 09:27 PM

clap

You ABSOLUTELY made my day, PB! lol
Posted By: olivant

Re: Prison Films - 03/27/12 02:17 AM

Since so many Board members are fans of the Shawshank Redemption, one of you can probably answer this question. I've watched bits and pieces of it. I know that one of its characters gets let out of prison and then goes looking for something that's buried somewhere. What is it, where is it buried, and how'd it get there?

Re: Prison Films - 03/27/12 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
I know that one of its characters gets let out of prison and then goes looking for something that's buried somewhere. What is it, where is it buried, and how'd it get there?

Watch the movie, oli. You'd enjoy it!

Re: Prison Films - 03/27/12 02:44 AM

I know that one of its characters gets let out of prison and then goes looking for something that's buried somewhere. What is it, where is it buried, and how'd it get there?

Watch the movie, oli. You'd enjoy it!

I would, but I sometimes am uncomfortable with films that portray an oppressive atmosphere which prison flms tend to portray.

Re: Prison Films - 03/27/12 04:01 AM

I would, but I sometimes am uncomfortable with films that portray an oppressive atmosphere which prison flms tend to portray.

I understand, and there's a good bit of that in "Shawshank" BUT it's really about how an individual rose above all that through hope.

If you're dead set against seeing it, I'll answer your question, but you should re-consider seeing the movie.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Prison Films - 03/27/12 09:28 AM

What about the Sly Stallone classic....NO WAY OUT????? whistle

Re: Prison Films - 03/27/12 05:29 PM

I understand, and there's a good bit of that in "Shawshank" BUT it's really about how an individual rose above all that through hope.

If you're dead set against seeing it, I'll answer your question, but you should re-consider seeing the movie.

I'll never watch it.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Prison Films - 03/28/12 08:12 AM

Also THE CASTLE, with Robert Redford and James Gandolfini!!!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET