Home

HBO's Luck

Posted By: J Geoff

HBO's Luck - 01/23/12 05:45 AM

Luck, the series, that is.

Just saw a commercial for it before, and it looks interesting:

Quote:
From acclaimed director Michael Mann and 'Deadwood' creator David Milch, 'Luck' takes a provocative look at the world of horse racing - the owners, gamblers, jockeys and diverse gaming industry players.  The cast stars Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Farina, John Ortiz, Richard Kind, Ian Hart, Kevin Dunn, Ritchie Coster, Jason Gedrick, Jill Hennessy, Tom Payne, Kerry Condon, Gary Stevens and Nick Nolte. The pilot is directed by Michael Mann and written by David Milch.

Premieres next Sunday
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: HBO's Luck - 01/23/12 05:50 AM

Holy hell. Look at all those names. Ill definitely be keeping an eye out.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: HBO's Luck - 01/23/12 05:50 AM

3 YEARS !!!!

3 YEARS!!!!

I crack up everytime they show the preview and he yells that

Re: HBO's Luck - 01/23/12 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
Holy hell. Look at all those names. Ill definitely be keeping an eye out.

No shit!
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: HBO's Luck - 01/23/12 05:30 PM

I already saw the pilot last month and enjoyed it. Although as an almost lifelong horseplayer, there were a few minor things that bugged me. Mostly in the way the bets were called off to the pari-mutuel clerks, and other nitpicky stuff that you'd have to be a horse racing degenerate (like me shhh grin ) to understand.

Is the episode airing next Sunday a re-airing of the pilot that was shown last month, or is it a new episode all together?

Re: HBO's Luck - 01/23/12 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Is the episode airing next Sunday a re-airing of the pilot that was shown last month, or is it a new episode all together?

I didn't see the pilot, but apparently that's what's airing next Sunday. Looks good.

I've never been to the track, despite there being 2 big ones here in NJ. There is an OTB bar down the street I went to a couple times, tho - they have every race you can think of on TVs all around the joint. I'm not a big gambler (so not a big winner or loser lol) but it's fun sometimes.
Posted By: olivant

Re: HBO's Luck - 01/23/12 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I already saw the pilot last month and enjoyed it. Although as an almost lifelong horseplayer, there were a few minor things that bugged me. Mostly in the way the bets were called off to the pari-mutuel clerks, and other nitpicky stuff that you'd have to be a horse racing degenerate (like me shhh grin ) to understand.

Is there a mob angle to this series?
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: HBO's Luck - 01/24/12 09:37 PM

This starts over here very soon as well so i shall be watching it. Looks pretty good!
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: HBO's Luck - 01/24/12 09:50 PM

I'm not so into horserace betting, but the cast is impressive and I do like Dustin Hoffman. I saw a preview the other day and it didn't look bad. smile

TIS

Re: HBO's Luck - 01/31/12 04:48 AM

Watched the pilot tonight and think it has some potential. Will have to see. So far, no Mob, just degenerates. wink
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: HBO's Luck - 02/04/12 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

So far, no Mob, just degenerates. wink

Didn't know that there was a difference. lol wink

Yes I agree that it definitely has some potential. We'll see.
Posted By: merlino

HBO series "Luck" - 02/08/12 06:50 PM

Anyone watching new HBO series Luck, it is really good
Posted By: moolou

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 02/08/12 07:36 PM

I saw the first ep. It looks well made. I just get the feeling I'll need to wait for it to come out on DVD in order to really get into it.
Posted By: kkmd

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 02/09/12 06:14 PM

If anyone missed the first episode of Luck, here's the recap: http://thecelebritycafe.com/reviews/luck-season-1-episode-1-recap-02-07-2012
Posted By: olivant

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/15/12 03:35 AM

Canceled.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/15/12 03:49 AM

I don't watch the show but read that they were gonna stop production due to horse injuries/deaths????

Is it on hiatus or totally cancelled? confused

TIS
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/15/12 04:11 AM

just announced they cancelled it

damm, i havent watched the show i forgot about it, i will check out the episodes online on sidereel

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/15/12 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Canceled.

Well that sucks... I was just getting into it! ohwell
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/15/12 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Originally Posted By: olivant
Canceled.

Well that sucks... I was just getting into it! ohwell

Me as well cry
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/15/12 01:24 PM

Can I crack dog food jokes now?
Posted By: SC

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/15/12 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Can I crack dog food jokes now?

You might wake up with a horse's head in your bed.
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/20/12 01:52 AM

Goddammit, they cancelled? That sucks. I just watched the first two eps, and was really getting into it. Well made, well acted. Not a 'mob' angle as such, but a few shylocks, some shady characters with vowely last names and Ace is a typical mobster type. Love Richard Kind's character, and the four "railbirds" (read: degenerate gamblers)

I myself dont mind the occasional punt, and IMO the show really captures that vibe of excitement/anticipation when your horse is pulling ahead.

EDIT; I just read up a bit. Apparently it had been renewed for a second series, but after the third (!) horse died during production (two in the pilot, one in the seventh episode), PETA made some noise and the show was dropped. Definitely sucks, but Im amazed in this day and age "Animals WERE harmed in the making of this feature".

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/23/12 12:36 AM

So I just finished all watching all eight episodes that have aired so far, it is a good show it grows on you. I like it and it is unfortunate it was cancelled. The intro theme of the tv show is really good, IMHO.

Well, at least I have Mad Men starting this Sunday back...
Posted By: Mark

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/23/12 12:43 AM

Makes you wonder if there was a mob element, even minor, would it have survived to at least a second season? HBO spoiled us for many years with Sopranos on Sunday nights. I still get a mob itch on Sunday nights!

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/23/12 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark
Makes you wonder if there was a mob element, even minor, would it have survived to at least a second season? HBO spoiled us for many years with Sopranos on Sunday nights. I still get a mob itch on Sunday nights!

There is a mob element, one of the main characters is a mobster who gets out of jail in the beginning.
Posted By: Mark

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 03/23/12 01:26 AM

My bad - I thought I heard something about no mob influences. Never watched it so I guess I shouldn't have assumed. For some reason after watching some previews it just didn't catch my interest but I know a lot of people who did like the series.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 09/07/12 04:36 PM

Just watched the first season. Terrific serie and a real shame they canceled it just because a few horses died. Like they don't die during real horse races...

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 09/08/12 01:09 AM

^^completely agree
Posted By: DonMega

Re: HBO series "Luck" - 01/20/13 05:40 PM

was a good show just a bit slow lost interest
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET