Home

British Comedy

Posted By: pizzaboy

British Comedy - 12/14/10 03:47 PM

I have a question for Yogi, Capo, DeNiro and the rest of our British counterparts on the board.

Last night I was watching Russell Brand on the Tonight Show. The guy had me doubled over with laughter. I seriously almost peed myself.

Now, do other Brits find this guy funny, or is it just dopey Americans (like me) who laugh at any joke made with a snarky British accent?
Posted By: Lorenzo

Re: British Comedy - 12/14/10 04:06 PM

I think the guy is funny as hell. Plus his new wife is a knock out. Very fortunate guy.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: British Comedy - 12/14/10 09:22 PM

He made his name as the host of Big Brother's Big Mouth, the discussion and audience-interaction follow-up to the Big Brother show itself. His quick wit and surreal, articulate wordplay were quite refreshing; he did the best thing for himself by leaving that show before it became stale - many of his successors have generally abused their own audience for laughs, and the show has generally gone down hill since he left.

I don't find him all that funny anymore.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: British Comedy - 12/14/10 09:35 PM

Capo - With Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand, etc., you all seem to use up your comedians before you dump them on us. And then laugh at us for going gaga over old news.

Re: British Comedy - 12/15/10 12:54 PM

He makes me laugh.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: British Comedy - 12/15/10 02:59 PM

He makes me laugh. My favourite funny man just now is a foul mouthed,obnoxious Scotsman called Frankie Boyle. He is highly offensive and extremely funny!
Posted By: Lilo

Re: British Comedy - 12/15/10 05:24 PM

I don't often get a chance to see/experience the new ones coming up but some of the older ones I like were Benny Hill, Monty Python, Lenny Henry, and the casts of "Not the Nine O'clock news" and "Are you being served" and "Fawlty Towers".
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: British Comedy - 12/15/10 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo
I don't often get a chance to see/experience the new ones coming up but some of the older ones I like were Benny Hill, Monty Python, Lenny Henry, and the casts of "Not the Nine O'clock news" and "Are you being served" and "Fawlty Towers".

The Beatles of comedy.

Re: British Comedy - 12/15/10 07:08 PM

I loved Benny Hill, Lilo.

Did you know that Jane Leeves, who played Daphne on "Frasier," was one of the Benny Hill girls?

This is the only clip I could find on Youtube that had her in it. It's funny, on "Frasier" she speaks with a different British accent than the real one she uses here. I think on "Frasier" she's supposed to be from Manchester. Maybe our Brit friends can explain this.

Oh, and watch for Benny's classic wink at the camera at the end of this clip.

Posted By: Don Marco

Re: British Comedy - 12/15/10 09:43 PM

I loved Fawlty Towers. I'm a big fan of the "Holy Grail" as well, but I saw that for the first time when I was in college and I know for a fact that the alcohol made it even funnier. I watched it with my son recently and he did not think it was as funny as I did.

What is your favorite color? Bring out your dead!

Re: British Comedy - 12/16/10 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I loved Benny Hill, Lilo.

Did you know that Jane Leeves, who played Daphne on "Frasier," was one of the Benny Hill girls?

Yup I heard that about Leeves. Benny Hill. whistle His show used to come on the local PBS station late night after Monty Python. For a short time it was also showing on the Windsor TV station that we get here in SE Michigan. It was a really funny show which needless to say I wouldn't have been able to watch if my parents knew about it.. lol

Re: British Comedy - 12/16/10 12:36 AM

Is Benny Hill available on dvd?

Re: British Comedy - 12/16/10 12:45 AM

John Cleese on "Will and Grace" a few years back lol.

Re: British Comedy - 12/16/10 02:45 PM

Frankie Boyle should probably die.

Re: British Comedy - 12/16/10 03:14 PM

will check this guy out online later.
Posted By: razet93

Re: British Comedy - 12/21/10 10:15 AM

I have a question for Yogi, Capo, DeNiro and the rest of our British counterparts on the board.

Last night I was watching Russell Brand on the Tonight Show. The guy had me doubled over with laughter. I seriously almost peed myself.

Now, do other Brits find this guy funny, or is it just dopey Americans (like me) who laugh at any joke made with a snarky British accent?

you are right this guy is very funny.

Re: British Comedy - 12/21/10 10:51 AM

Is Benny Hill available on dvd?

Yes.
Benny Hill
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: British Comedy - 12/21/10 07:13 PM

You Americans should check out Peter Kay, hes my fav stand up comedian one for all the family to enjoy..

Re: British Comedy - 12/22/10 06:59 PM

Yup Peter Kay is tops as well DN smile

Re: British Comedy - 12/23/10 11:43 PM

I was watching Russell Brand's Ponderland the other night and found it very funny.

Re: British Comedy - 12/26/10 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Yup Peter Kay is tops as well DN smile

My GF has brought me tickets to go and see him in Febuary, which will be good..

Re: British Comedy - 12/27/10 12:45 PM

Indeed Hard tickets to get a hold of these days as well.......

Re: British Comedy - 12/27/10 03:13 PM

I had to go back and listen to Kay a second time to get it. lol

He is from the North of England, yes? I don't think I've heard a lot of that accent here. He was funny though. smile

Re: British Comedy - 12/27/10 09:44 PM

He´s from Bolton which is in the north of England..
Posted By: klydon1

Re: British Comedy - 12/30/10 05:01 AM

Did Russell Brand host the Emmy or Golden Globe Awards about a year or two ago. If he was the British comedian who did, then I have to say he was the funniest host I've seen.

And count me among the Monty Python fans. I agree with ronnie's description. There was also a British comedian in the late 70s, who had a hilarious sketch show over here, named David ___________. I can't remember his last name.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET