Home

Favourite Western Film

Posted By: DE NIRO

Favourite Western Film - 04/16/10 11:08 PM

My fav western film has to be-The Good The Bad And The Ugly.

The film is just amazing from the story,soundtrack,scenery and the cool acting of Clint Eastwood and also the stand at the end of the film is probably the greatest ending to any film ever made..

The good the bad and the ugly

Its one of those films that you have to watch before you die..
Posted By: VitoC

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/16/10 11:38 PM

I haven't seen many westerns, but Unforgiven is certainly an outstanding movie, one of my favorites not just from the western genre but in general.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/16/10 11:48 PM

I'm not a big western fan myself. I remember way back seeing "High Noon" with Gary Cooper (with my family) which was good. I remember seeing Roy Rogers, Hop-a-Long Cassidy on tv.

However, if I had to pick a western though, I'd probably go with "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" too. I also liked Eastwood's "Hang 'Em High" and if you call it part of the Western genre, I'd even prefer Eastwood's "The Beguiled". Not many will agree with me, but I really liked the movie. smile

TIS
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/16/10 11:56 PM

butch cassiday and the sundance kid is right up there for me...along with every western john wayne stared in.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/16/10 11:56 PM

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Man From Laramie and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Maybe.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/16/10 11:59 PM

Oh yea, Liberty Valance. I forgot about that one. Very good! smile I haven't seen the others you mentioned Capo.

TIS
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/17/10 12:03 AM

Pale Rider
Posse
Open Range
Once Upon a Time in the West
Shane
Tombstone
The Way of the Gun (a sort of modern western)

My favorite is probably "Open Range"..., more for Duvall than Costner.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/17/10 01:50 AM

I've always liked "The Quick and the Dead" with Leonardo DiCaprio, Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone and Russell Crowe. I thought the cast was very good and the eventual reveal of why "Lady" had come to town was interesting enough. And nobody can play evil like Gene Hackman.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/17/10 02:10 AM

I love most of John Wayne westerns. Rio Bravo is my favorite. Other westerns:

Once Upon A Time In The West
Lonesome Dove
Open Range
Broken Trail

I'm sure there are others I can't think of now.

Clint's westerns are ok to.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/17/10 02:12 AM

just wondering is brokeback mountain considered a western...never seen it, so yea just wondering?
Posted By: olivant

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/17/10 04:06 PM

One neglected western is The Big Country with Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, and Jeam Simmons. Great performances, the eastern comes west theme, and a rousing score.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/17/10 04:52 PM

"Shane," followed by "Unforgiven," "Hombre," and "Once Upon a Time in the West."
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/17/10 05:49 PM

Lancaster. Douglas. 'Nuff said.

"Gunfight at the O.K. Corral."
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/17/10 06:13 PM

Silverado is on AMC right now.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/18/10 02:06 AM

The Outlaw Josey Wales and Little Big Man, mostly because of Chief Dan George....."My heart soars like a hawk".

Butch Cassidy....and Dances With Wolves....the modern era of Westerns.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/18/10 06:20 PM

Not my favorite, but Red River is pretty dang good.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/19/10 09:05 AM

The Wild Bunch.
Posted By: Lucasi

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/19/10 12:38 PM

RED RIVER-John Wayne cant knock that.It was a 4 star flick and some serious cattle drive scenes,etc.
Any old black and white outlaw,indian,cowboy films.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/27/10 12:42 AM

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
For a Few Dollars More
Fistful of Dollars
Tombstone
Pale Rider
Wyatt Earp
The Outlaw Josey wales

Basically all of Clints westerns with the exception of Unforgiven, I've never cared for that one.
Posted By: Danito

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/29/10 11:02 AM

Once Upon A Time In The West
High Noon
The Ox Bow Incident
Posted By: Vincent_Mancini_Corleone

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/13/10 01:40 AM

Once Upon A Time In The West is probably the finest Western I have ever seen

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/14/10 12:21 PM

Like Red River,it's not one of my favorites, but The Gunfighter with Gregory Peck is another pretty dang good western.
Posted By: Anishacole

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/25/10 05:23 AM

My favorite Western film
1.Pale Rider
2.Shane
3.Open Range
4.Tombstone
5.High Noon

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/25/10 05:41 PM

I brought "Butch Cassidy and sundance kid" a while ago but still yet to watch it..
Posted By: GaryH

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/25/10 09:18 PM

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
For a Few Dollars More
Fistful of Dollars
High Plains Drifter

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/25/10 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
I brought "Butch Cassidy and sundance kid" a while ago but still yet to watch it..

great movie
Posted By: 3l3m3ntal

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/28/11 07:58 PM

I don't really have a favorite western but do have a preference for Once Upon A Time In America and The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Ennio Morricone.

How about My Darling Clementine? The Searchers? Ride The High Country? The Last Train From Gun Hill? Posse (original directed by Kirk Douglas)? The Great Silence?

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/18/12 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: BAM_233

great movie

I finally got round to watching this movie after owning it on DVD for a couple of years, was a great film, Newman and Redford made a great pairing. I especially liked the chase in the movie.

8/10
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/18/12 04:49 PM

John Wayne made some really interesting later Westerns, like El Dorado, True Grit, The Cowboys, and The Shootist. John Ford directed Wayne and Henry Fonda in Fort Apache.

Lonesome Dove is tremendous. The novel by Larry McMurtry is also great. McMurtry's original idea was that it would be a screenplay for Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Henry Fonda, but Wayne dropped out.
Posted By: SC

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/18/12 05:14 PM

There are three John Wayne MUST-SEE westerns.

"Stagecoach", his first major role is a story that is for the ages. A WONDERFUL cast.

"The Searchers", from the mid '50s, it shows how good a actor Wayne was really was.

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is my personal Wayne favorite and my favorite western.
Posted By: Frosty

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/18/12 08:31 PM

Dead Aim, The Deserter, Captain Apache, The Grand Duel.

Lee Van Cleef is a fine western actor .

Lonesome Dove has to be my favorite, and all of the books.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/21/12 01:52 AM

Shane
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/21/12 09:05 PM

I'm a big fan of the Clint Eastwood westerns. Of them I like "Outlaw Josey Wales" best, followed closely by "High Plains Drifter" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". The whipping scene in "High Plains Drifter" bothers me everytime. Did you know the innkeepers wife is Dean Wormers wife from Animal House?

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/21/12 09:22 PM

I don't care for Eastwood's westerns and I'm not a fan of Shane either. I like Red River and Magnificent 7 among others.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/21/12 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Marco
I'm a big fan of the Clint Eastwood westerns. Of them I like "Outlaw Josey Wales" best, followed closely by "High Plains Drifter" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". The whipping scene in "High Plains Drifter" bothers me everytime. Did you know the innkeepers wife is Dean Wormers wife from Animal House?
DM, yes Clint, Hang them High, Fist full of Dollars ! For a Few Dollars More,Joe Kidd, and on and on !

And no I did not know the innkeepers wife is from Animal House ! We all learn each and every day ! wink Thanks for sharing !

I also like TOMBSTONE ! Kurt Russell, and Val Kilmer, Val Kilmer lost 60-80 lbs to play this part but he was great in it ! I loved the way he could do that there shot tin around like Johnny Ringo ! wink cool
Posted By: AlexDen

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/25/12 12:24 PM

I have not watched much western movies but Cowboys & Aliens is one of the best western movie i ever watched. I watched this movie with my friends and i enjoyed it.
Posted By: Chopper2012

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/25/12 09:26 PM

Unforgiven. Handsdown.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/25/12 09:42 PM

I forgot about Tombstone and Wyatt Earp.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/26/12 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
I forgot about Tombstone and Wyatt Earp.
I think, Tombstone, was done better than Wyatt Earp, Kilmer he is and always will be the Doc. Holiday. Sam Eliott is also good in his westerns !
Posted By: AdinWilliam

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/27/12 10:47 AM

The Warrior's Way is one of favorite Western movie for me i ever watched. I love this movie. I have watched this movie more than 4 time and enjoyed it. I love the story of this movie.

Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/28/12 02:21 AM

City Slickers.....one thing!

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/25/14 09:56 AM

Here's a western movie thread for you, Foot.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/25/14 11:09 AM

I have a great fondness for the John Wayne version of True Grit. First, it's a very good story about how people who are very different on the surface can be very similar inside.

Second, it's set in Oklahoma, but they filmed it in various places of dramatic scenery and didn't even try to pick locations that could pass for Oklahoma:

Yeah, that's snow up there.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/25/14 01:29 PM

There was a western vampire movie they made on the 50s. But I can't remember the name of it or who was in it.

Found it "the curse of the undead" 1959.

I am sure there have been others. I think I will try to get my fangs on it
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/26/14 11:19 AM

I personally prefer the more modern spaghetti westers, but have no problem with the older ones.

1.Once Upon A Time In The West
2.Unforgiven
3.High Noon
4.The Good The Bad And The Ugly
5.A Fistful of Dollars

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/26/14 11:48 AM

High noon was a more modern western? The Gary cooper movie? It was made in the 50s.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/26/14 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
High noon was a more modern western? The Gary cooper movie? It was made in the 50s.

Didn't say High Noon was modern. I said i prefer modern Spaghetti westerns, which i think is pretty clear since 4 out of my 5 favourites are post 50s and 3 are spaghetti westerns.
Posted By: DonMega1888

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/26/14 05:20 PM

Once upon a time in the west smile

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/27/14 02:52 PM

Its been four years since i started this thread and The Good The Bad And The Ugly is still the best western i have saw..

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/28/14 10:47 AM

Was Eli Wallach the best fake Mexican or what smile

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/07/14 11:43 AM

"The Sons of Katie Elder" is on AMC right now. Dino and the Duke. Two of my favorite people smile.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/07/14 11:52 AM

What! No Magnificent Seven on anybody's list?

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/07/14 12:23 PM

I said Eli Wallach was the best Jew that played a fake Mexican in Good, the bad and the ugly and I saved the best for last. The Magnificent Seven and he could ride a horse no stunt double.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/07/14 07:26 PM

I said Eli Wallach was the best Jew that played a fake Mexican in Good, the bad and the ugly and I saved the best for last. The Magnificent Seven and he could ride a horse no stunt double.

James Caan was a professional rodeo cowboy in real life. And he's Jewish.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/07/14 08:33 PM

Its been four years since i started this thread and The Good The Bad And The Ugly is still the best western i have saw..

Well then, you haven't "saw" Wyatt Earp or The Magnificent Seven! I'd also throw in The Big Country with Charleston Heston and Gregory Peck.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/08/14 12:16 AM

A good western is like art what people like s different for everybody. My favorite western was Red River.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/08/14 12:36 AM

A good western is like art what people like s different for everybody. My favorite western was Red River.

Howard Hawks was a great director. Haven't seen Red River myself, but i did really enjoy Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday and Rio Bravo from him.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/09/14 11:47 AM

Well then, you haven't "saw" Wyatt Earp or The Magnificent Seven! I'd also throw in The Big Country with Charleston Heston and Gregory Peck.

I have saw The Magnificent Seven Oli and in my opinion is no where near TGTBATU. wink

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/10/14 10:15 AM

I have saw The Magnificent Seven Oli and in my opinion is no where near TGTBATU. wink

Have you seen Once Upon a Time In The West by Leone? It's on yt if you haven't.

Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/10/14 12:37 PM

Yep The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is better than the Magnificent Seven. For a Few Dollars More I might like better than that. I thought the Eastwood/Van Cleef combo was the best out there (as evidenced in TGTBATU).

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/10/14 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
Yep The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is better than the Magnificent Seven. For a Few Dollars More I might like better than that. I thought the Eastwood/Van Cleef combo was the best out there (as evidenced in TGTBATU).

I personally preffered A Fistful of Dollars to For a Few Dollars More. And preffered Yojimbo which AFOD is based on to any of the Dollars trilogy.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/26/14 10:42 AM

"Rio Bravo" is on AMC right now. Then "Chisum," then "The Cowboys." grin

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/26/14 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
"Rio Bravo" is on AMC right now.

And Angie Dickinson was mindbogglingly beautiful. I'm having very impure thoughts. Uncle Junior had the right idea about her grin.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/26/14 05:01 PM

Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/26/14 05:47 PM

My all time favorite Western!
Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/26/14 07:58 PM

I'm partial to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Great story, cinematography, and even dark humor.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/26/14 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
My all time favorite Western!

Mine, too. There are better westerns. But "Rio Bravo" is my favorite western smile.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/28/14 06:30 PM

Does blazing saddles count smile Lol

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/28/14 06:36 PM

Well, to let you in on a family secret, my grandmother was Dutch.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/28/14 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt
Well, to let you in on a family secret, my grandmother was Dutch.

Lol

I was looking for the ; guys don't you lay there getting a suntan, ain't gonna do you no good anyhow

Haha cracks me up everytime smile

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/28/14 06:58 PM

Or docking the pay of the heatstroked Chinese guy for napping on the job.

Between that and All in the Family, there's no way these films and shows would be green lit today.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/30/14 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt
Or docking the pay of the heatstroked Chinese guy for napping on the job.

Between that and All in the Family, there's no way these films and shows would be green lit today.

Lol

Once upon a time the west
Good the bad and the ugly
Tombstone was always a film I liked aswell

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/30/14 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: DonMega1888
Does blazing saddles count smile Lol

The guy in this picture was also in Honeymoon in Vegas he was the leader of the flying Elvis's.

Incidently, they are going to make a play on the movie HoneyMoon in Vegas my wife told me. I called up my friend Johnny about it if he did not know. He was in that movie. I thought it would be cool if he tried to get the same part in the play. So he can move back here so we can hang out together again.
Posted By: TheKillingJoke

Re: Favourite Western Film - 08/01/14 02:17 PM

A non-American "Western" I really love is The Proposition, which takes place in the Australian Outback.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/01/14 03:40 PM

The three favourite John Wayne movies for me are Rio Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and The Shootist.
Clint Eastwood are A Fist of Dollars, High Plains Drifter, and Unforgiven.

Other favourites
The Wild Bunch, The Shooting, One-Eyed Jacks, Seven Men From Now, and Little Big Man.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/01/14 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
The three favourite John Wayne movies for me are Rio Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and The Shootist.
Clint Eastwood are A Fist of Dollars, High Plains Drifter, and Unforgiven.

Other favourites
The Wild Bunch, The Shooting, One-Eyed Jacks, Seven Men From Now, and Little Big Man.

Only one missing Giacomo, 3:10 to Yuma!
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/01/14 10:10 PM

The orginal one yes. Two others that I missed were Jeremiah Johnson and The Long Riders.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/01/14 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Only one missing Giacomo, 3:10 to Yuma!

From my boy Elmore Leonard. Hard to believe that the same guy who gave us Ben Wade also gave us Chili Palmer. But such was his genius smile.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/07/14 01:50 AM

A co-worker and I got into a fun but heated argument on who's better John Wayne or Clint Eastwood he is a big fan of John wayne I have always preferred Clint.

John Waynes westerns have always put me to sleep, I find them very boring.

I forgot to include Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid from my earlier list.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/07/14 01:55 PM

The Magnificent Seven, Red River, and Wyatt Earp.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/07/14 02:23 PM

Felix "Red River" Unger and the Saddle Sores.
Posted By: Primo

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/08/14 12:57 AM

I apologize if it has been said. But my favorite hands down is Rio Bravo with Dean Martin and John Wayne. All around great movie and I always loved the final shootout.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/08/14 01:57 AM

the shootist duke and lauren bacall were never better.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 11/17/14 11:34 PM

I'm watching "The Gunfighter," with Gregory Peck, on the Encore Western Channel. Classic.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 11/18/14 02:31 AM

This was an interesting western Red Sun

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuVVskrIlg0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted By: StLguy

Re: Favourite Western Film - 11/23/14 04:44 AM

My favourite western is the one about suppressing the Welsh.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 11/23/14 06:52 PM

Rio bravo I gotta check out

Re: Favourite Western Film - 03/17/15 09:20 PM

Just watched "High Noon" again on Netflix. Whatever happened to Gay Cooper?

Yup wink.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 03/17/15 09:40 PM

High Noon is a top 10 Western for me. I don't think i've seen a quarter as much as the regular contributors to this and the Western TV thread, but i've been watching alot more in the last few months.

One person i've really took to is John Ford, i know a common criticism of him is that his movies are boring, but the cinematography in his films are practically unmatched even today. Watching him film the exact same Desert landscape time after time, is breathtaking. I currently own Stagecoach and My Darling Clementine on Criterion and i'll be the first in line for The Searchers when it's finally released on Criterion; as well as The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance which i watched for the first time just last night.

Out of interest anyone here watched his other Criterion release; Young Mr.Lincoln, and if so is it worth buying?

Re: Favourite Western Film - 03/18/15 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

One person i've really took to is John Ford, i know a common criticism of him is that his movies are boring, but the cinematography in his films are practically unmatched even today. Watching him film the exact same Desert landscape time after time, is breathtaking.

I love Ford, too. It's obvious that sometimes he made a conscious decision to show an extended long shot without any regard to how that might slow down the action.

It's an off-the-wall connection, but Luchino Visconti's filming of Sicily in Burt Lancaster's "The Leopard" (another Criterion film) reminded me a lot of a Ford film.
Posted By: thedudeabides87

Re: Favourite Western Film - 03/18/15 04:05 PM

The Naked Spur
How the West Was Won
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Searchers

Re: Favourite Western Film - 03/18/15 04:10 PM

Blazing Saddles?
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Favourite Western Film - 03/18/15 04:45 PM

True Grit 1969

Tombstone

Dances With Wolves

Re: Favourite Western Film - 03/18/15 05:40 PM

High Noon is a top 10 Western for me.

I think if there were a critics poll taken that most of them would put in the top five, maybe even three, as far as westerns go. The reviews that the film gets are stellar to this day.

It has flaws. For one thing, Gary Cooper was a little too old for the part---or Grace Kelly was too young, take your pick. He had almost thirty full years on her, and in some close shots it really shows. But I guess stranger things have happened. It just doesn't happen too much when the older man isn't named Trump lol.

Great movie. My favorite western is still "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral." It's probably an inferior film, and they took A LOT of liberties with the real-life story. But there's just something about Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster together that brings it all together for me.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/28/15 04:08 AM

Do people prefer a Spaghetti western of a American made western.?

I think sergio leone revolutionized the western with his Triliogy of films with Clint Eastwood and also Once Upon a time in the west. Epic films
Posted By: padrone

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/28/15 10:11 AM

Pale Rider
Unforgiven
The Magnificent Seven
Shane
Posted By: padrone

Re: Favourite Western Film - 04/28/15 10:12 AM

And I know it was a miniseries but Lonesome Dove was great

Re: Favourite Western Film - 05/07/15 08:55 AM

I've just ordered True Grit with John Wayne..
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/01/15 06:48 PM

Rio Bravo with John Wayne

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/01/15 10:07 PM

Unforgiven
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Tombstone
Rio Bravo

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/02/15 04:37 PM

lonesome dove
shane

the fastest gun alive

the shootist [ john waynes last movie]

the outlaw Josie wales

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/27/15 07:23 AM

Has anybody watched Two Mules for Sister Sara with Clint Eastwood, i brought this on DVD having not heard much about it?

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/27/15 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll

the fastest gun alive

I own that movie only because Russ Tamblyn was in it. Since west side story I try to see him in every movie he is in.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/27/15 03:45 PM

I watched Eldorado yesterday...

John Wayne, Dean Martin, James Cann and Ed Asner plays the villan.

Really Good, love it.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/27/15 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll

the fastest gun alive

I own that movie only because Russ Tamblyn was in it. Since west side story I try to see him in every movie he is in.

after I saw that movie and watched him dance, he was very good, as good as any of them.

he was a great dancer, does he have an actress daughter, foots.
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/27/15 11:17 PM

Do people prefer a Spaghetti western of a American made western.?

I think sergio leone revolutionized the western with his Triliogy of films with Clint Eastwood and also Once Upon a time in the west. Epic films

I prefer the Italian made westerns.More violent and much more complex storytelling.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/12/15 06:54 AM

Has anybody watched Two Mules for Sister Sara with Clint Eastwood, i brought this on DVD having not heard much about it?

So i finally watched this, decent film, The music score especially..

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/12/15 10:09 AM

Binni he does have a daughter in the business. He was not a real dancer he was a gymnast. he took dancing lessons before the movie was shot. There was no gymnastics in the original play.

Or in the movie during the filming of the movie. Tamblyn asked that it be put in and was told no. Then Tony Modante who was a dancer one of the jets and choreographer took over the choreography in the movie and told Russ yes.

Then they had a new Broadway production of West side story. Russ went to see it and it had the gymnastics in it. After the play Russ asked the lead about it. He told him to get the part the actor had to do gymnastics.
Posted By: U talkin' da me ??

Re: Favourite Western Film - 07/29/15 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
City Slickers.....one thing!

City Slickers II

Re: Favourite Western Film - 08/08/15 07:22 PM

Just watching Rio Bravo, decent film..

Re: Favourite Western Film - 08/08/15 08:38 PM

IMO best western movie
Posted By: helenwheels

Re: Favourite Western Film - 08/08/15 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
High Noon is a top 10 Western for me.

I think if there were a critics poll taken that most of them would put in the top five, maybe even three, as far as westerns go. The reviews that the film gets are stellar to this day.

It has flaws. For one thing, Gary Cooper was a little too old for the part---or Grace Kelly was too young, take your pick. He had almost thirty full years on her, and in some close shots it really shows. But I guess stranger things have happened. It just doesn't happen too much when the older man isn't named Trump lol.

Kelly and Cooper had quite the notorious affair while making High Noon, so I guess if your name is Cooper it happens too wink

I'm with the above poster that mentioned Lonesome Dove. My absolute favorite western.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 01/24/16 05:43 AM

I just watched a promo for High Noon. I haven't watched it in years. It's definitely in my top ten. It's one heck of a film.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 01/24/16 08:42 AM

I watched a couple of weeks ago The Wild Bunch, great film especially the shoot out at the end..
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Favourite Western Film - 01/24/16 01:35 PM

I don't like westerns - or old movies in general - so I am going to say Unforgiven by process of elimination.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 01/24/16 03:20 PM

Saw Hombre with Paul Newman last night on Netflix. It wasn't bad.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 01/25/16 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
I don't like westerns - or old movies in general - so I am going to say Unforgiven by process of elimination.

I will neva fugive you fa that.
Posted By: Paul Pisano

Re: Favourite Western Film - 01/27/16 03:39 AM

i would have to say the gunfight at the ok coral. the song sung throughout the movie is very cool.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 01/27/16 05:25 PM

I've not see the above film but i love this scene which includes the song L'Arena by Ennio Morricone which is also in Kill Bill 2..

The film is il Mercenario

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/05/16 05:58 PM

Some of the best:

https://www.answers.com/article/30823759...aram1=346682368
Posted By: Mark

Re: Favourite Western Film - 02/07/16 10:26 PM

Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood.

Re: Favourite Western Film - 09/11/17 05:45 PM

I watched again last night Once Upon A Time In The West. Absolute classic. Not many better films across all genres in my opinion.
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: Favourite Western Film - 10/31/17 04:44 PM

of course the dollar trilogy, but also The Unforgiven, rio bravo, red sun are great too

Re: Favourite Western Film - 12/29/17 08:29 PM

Just watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Good film for it's time and a staring role by James Stewart..
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: Favourite Western Film - 01/01/18 05:28 PM

Lonesome Dove without a doubt

Re: Favourite Western Film - 01/06/18 07:02 PM

There are so many good westerns. One of my favorites is The Big Country with Gregory Peck and Charleston Heston, and Chuck Connors before he became The Rifleman. I saw it when I was a kid. There's a fight scene at night between Heston and Peck out in a field. At the time I couldn't understand why the scene looked like it was filmed in the middle of the day because it was so well lit. That was before I realized that the fight probably took place under a full moon.

Still, in the end, it's The Magnificent Seven.
Posted By: U talkin' da me ??

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/23/22 11:23 PM

Posted By: Giacalone

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/23/22 11:26 PM

A Fistful Of Dollars

Re: Favourite Western Film - 06/24/22 01:23 AM

The Searchers

https://youtu.be/KvfIsbhIQLA
Posted By: TheKillingJoke

Re: Favourite Western Film - 10/08/22 05:36 PM

Call me unoriginal but Once Upon a Time in The West was a life changing film for me.

One of my all time favorite westerns is High Plains Drifter.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET