Home

Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones

Posted By: DiMaggio68

Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/17/09 07:26 AM

I just bought a Frank Sinatra CD the other day called 12 Number Ones. It is really good and has all his smashes.

1. I'll Never Smile Again (1940)

2. All Or Nothing At All (1944)

3. Learning the Blues (1955)

4. Love and Marriage (1955)

5. I've Got You Under My Skin (1956)

6. Come Fly With Me (1958)

7. It Was A Very Good Year (1965)

8. The September Of My Years (1965)

9. Strangers In the Night (1966)

10. Summer Wind (1966)

11. Something Stupid (w/ Nancy Sinatra) (1967)

12. My Way (1969)
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/17/09 08:39 PM

I have that one to DiMaggio. All good songs. I like I'll Never Smile Again, I've Got You Under My Skin, Something Stupid. I think my favorite is Strangers In The Night, followed by It Was A Very Good Year. smile

TIS
Posted By: olivant

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/18/09 03:49 AM

Summer Wind - his version has no rival.
Posted By: SC

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/18/09 04:13 AM

"It Was a Very Good Year" is one of the easiest songs on the ears that I've ever heard. Beside it being a retrospective of his life, the music itself (especially the violins) is absolutely beautiful. I can listen to it over and over again.

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/18/09 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I have that one to DiMaggio. All good songs. I like I'll Never Smile Again, I've Got You Under My Skin, Something Stupid. I think my favorite is Strangers In The Night, followed by It Was A Very Good Year. smile

TIS

I had a little party at my place the other day and was listining to it. When the song "Love and Marriage" came on people were shocked that Frank was the singer of it. Because that was the song from the tv show Married With Children.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/18/09 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

The National Anthem.

When I hear that song on a warm summer night, no matter where I am, I'm home.

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/18/09 04:32 PM

Speaking of "Love and Marriage" didn't, or wouldn't the Sinatra family still get residuals each time Married With Children aired? How does that work? Also, the producers would have to have gotten his permission to use it right?

smile
TIS
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/18/09 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: DiMaggio68
When the song "Love and Marriage" came on people were shocked that Frank was the singer of it. Because that was the song from the tv show Married With Children.

It's actually older than that: It comes from a live musical television production of Thornton Wilder's play "Our Town." It aired around 1954 and starred Sinatra as the Stage Manager, Paul Newman as George Gibbs and Eva Marie Saint as Emily Webb. It was condensed quite a bit - I think it ran only around 75 minutes (give or take), minus commercial breaks. It still exists on kinescope, but I don't think it was ever "officially" released to video or DVD. Now, "unofficially"... (hehehehheh... whistle )

For the record, I thought Sinatra was extremely miscast. Excellent singer, but he certainly didn't come across as a "folksy" avuncular New England type - which is what the role calls for.

Signor V.

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/18/09 04:56 PM

While were on the topic of Sinatra, I forgot another favorite song from a Sinatra movie I really liked, also starring Doris Day, is "Young At Heart". Kind of a soapy type movie, but hey, I'm a sucker for a good love story. smile The song is great though.

TIS

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/19/09 06:30 AM

Speaking of "Love and Marriage" didn't, or wouldn't the Sinatra family still get residuals each time Married With Children aired? How does that work? Also, the producers would have to have gotten his permission to use it right?

smile
TIS

I sure hope they did.................

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/20/09 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Originally Posted By: DiMaggio68
When the song "Love and Marriage" came on people were shocked that Frank was the singer of it. Because that was the song from the tv show Married With Children.

It's actually older than that: It comes from a live musical television production of Thornton Wilder's play "Our Town." It aired around 1954 and starred Sinatra as the Stage Manager, Paul Newman as George Gibbs and Eva Marie Saint as Emily Webb. It was condensed quite a bit - I think it ran only around 75 minutes (give or take), minus commercial breaks. It still exists on kinescope, but I don't think it was ever "officially" released to video or DVD. Now, "unofficially"...

Signor V.

Actually it aired in 1955. It was a thorton wilder movie. there's also two versions of the song. Frank originally sang "Love and Marriage" that same year. The second version was in 1965.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/20/09 04:34 PM

12 Songs?

Give me, "That's Life".......I've been a puppet, pauper, pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king......
Great lyrics and music and only Frank can sing it.

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/20/09 05:15 PM

I forgot about "That's Life" Yea, 12 songs doesn't cover it does it? ohwell Oh, and from the movie (High Society?) High Hopes.

TIS

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/20/09 10:41 PM

I forgot about "That's Life" Yea, 12 songs doesn't cover it does it? ohwell Oh, and from the movie (High Society?) High Hopes.

TIS

It should have been a #1 Hit for Frank. But it did reach the top 10.
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/20/09 10:56 PM

TIS

High Hopes was from A HOLE IN THE HEAD I believe TIS smile

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/22/09 07:16 PM

Thanks Santino! wink

And how could I forget another Sinatra favorite and I guess not a #1......New York, New York!!!! smile

TIS
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/22/09 07:58 PM

I have this FS cd and I love it. I play it all the time in the car.

1. Come Fly with Me
2. Best Is Yet to Come
3. Way You Look Tonight
4. Luck Be a Lady
5. Bewitched
6. Good Life
7. Girl from Ipanema
8. Fly Me to the Moon
9. Summer Wind
10. Strangers in the Night
11. Call Me Irresponsible
12. Somethin' Stupid
13. My Kind of Town
14. It Was a Very Good Year
15. That's Life
16. Moonlight Serenade
17. Nothing But the Best
18. Drinking Again
19. All My Tomorrows
20. My Way Sign
21. Theme from New York, New York
22. Body and Soul

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/23/09 04:24 PM

Fly Me To The Moon- great one
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/23/09 04:33 PM

I like all of those songs above.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/23/09 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

I agree!

When Sinatra died mid-week in May 1998, there was a NY radio station who devoted the entire rest of the week and through the weekend, to playing nothing but his songs. During that tribute I heard for the first time Sinatra's version of 'I Could've Danced All Night' from 'My Fair Lady'. I was so impressed by his 'boppy' version of this showtune that I had to go out & find the album it came from, 'Dance With Me'. Still one of my favorite cd's to play in the car and by the way, it has a couple of neat duo's with the wonderful Keely Smith.

Re 'Young at Heart', the song is very nice however I saw the film about a year ago on TCM and aside from hour 1 of Godfather Part III, it had to be one of the most boring movies I've ever sat through in my entire life.

'It Was a Very Good Year' - very peculiar song, very few aside from Sinatra could've done it justice without sounding like a fool. While I find it fairly pleasant on audio only, it was REALLY enjoyable watching him sing it on his one of his tv specials.

Apple

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 07/24/09 10:59 AM

'It Was a Very Good Year' - very peculiar song, very few aside from Sinatra could've done it justice without sounding like a fool. While I find it fairly pleasant on audio only, it was REALLY enjoyable watching him sing it on his one of his tv specials.

Apple [/quote]

That's for sure.....
Posted By: Spark

Re: Frank Sinatra's 12 Number Ones - 03/30/10 12:02 PM

Frank was the man...
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET