Home

Life On Mars (ABC)

Posted By: J Geoff

Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/09/08 05:22 PM

Life on Mars premieres tonight on ABC and looks pretty good -- starring Harvey Keitel, Michael Imperioli, Jason O'Mara and Lisa Bonet.

A NYC detective (O'Mara) gets hit by a car and is hurled back in time to 1973 -- no cellphone, no computers -- and tries to figure out what happened and how to get back home.

Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/09/08 06:07 PM

Saw the commercials and figured it was worth a look. I mean, Harvey Keitel AND Michael Imperioli?? How can you not watch it at least once?
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/09/08 08:33 PM

The UK version that ran for two series was incredible. I never lived in the 70's but it was everything that my parents told me it was like (plus how I'd imagined).

We even went one step further with Ashes to Ashes, which was the same format, based in the 80's with a different cast. Still very good but not as good as LOM.

I hope your Life on Mars gets brought over here. I'm jealous of the cast. Although ours were relative unknowns but really put them on the UK acting map.

What I really hope with your series is that they emulate the politically incorrect humour that was in ours. If they get that right, it'll be a winner.

Just checked IMDB and I'm glad to see the US version has kept the cast names. Let me know how it is.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/09/08 08:58 PM

I wanna watch it tonight. I just hope I don't forget.

BTW Nice unabrow growing on Michael Imperioli.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/09/08 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

BTW Nice unabrow growing on Michael Imperioli.

He can go from looking very dapper, to looking like a heroin addict in like five minutes flat. lol
Posted By: Santino Brasi

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/09/08 09:50 PM

I am recording it
Posted By: Sopranorleone

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 12:12 AM

I'm watching it, but during commercials I have to flip over to the Phils-Dodgers game!
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano
The UK version that ran for two series was incredible. I never lived in the 70's but it was everything that my parents told me it was like (plus how I'd imagined).

We even went one step further with Ashes to Ashes, which was the same format, based in the 80's with a different cast. Still very good but not as good as LOM.

I hope your Life on Mars gets brought over here. I'm jealous of the cast. Although ours were relative unknowns but really put them on the UK acting map.

What I really hope with your series is that they emulate the politically incorrect humour that was in ours. If they get that right, it'll be a winner.

Just checked IMDB and I'm glad to see the US version has kept the cast names. Let me know how it is.

The original LIFE ON MARS was absolutely incredible, and its series finale might in fact be one of my favorite endings ever.

But the star of the show methinks was Gene Hunt: "There will never be a woman prime minister as long as I have a hole in my arse.""

Haven't seen ASHES TO ASHES yet.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 12:49 AM

You know, by the title I can't say I was gonna watch it. I didn't realize the cast or the premise (I guess by the title I should have though?) lol

That's Michael Imperioli??? eek Damn, he looks good. What did they do to him? lol Not that he was ugly, but hmmmm.

Anyway, I'll watch it if I can stay awake and if there is not another of my favorite shows opposite it.

BTW, there's a new show with Christian Slater that I saw previews of. That one didn't look bad either.

TIS

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 03:05 AM

Not bad... I'll give this show a chance. And I LOVE the soundtrack! cool
Posted By: SC

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 03:06 AM

I enjoyed it (in an odd way). It's reminiscent of Tony Soprano's coma (people talking to him from the present but he has no way of returning the talk). It's an interesting premise but I don't see how it can last for any length of time...

Seeing the twin towers again sent shivers down my spine.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 03:09 AM

I enjoyed it to and the music was great. I liked how everytime he wanted to use his cell they thought he said sell. I'll watch it again.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
I enjoyed it (in an odd way). It's reminiscent of Tony Soprano's coma (people talking to him from the present but he has no way of returning the talk). It's an interesting premise but I don't see how it can last for any length of time...

Seeing the twin towers again sent shivers down my spine.

Have you seen Imperioli's "For One More Day?" That's what I was reminded of - mainly because that involved a sequence created in the main character's mind following an accident. Even heard ambulance sirens as the plot unfolded as well.

But, I loved Imperioli's lines and how he delivered them. Harvey Keitel added something wonderful to the show too.

I'll tune in again.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 03:18 AM

It hasn't aired here yet, but sounds like it's worth checking out. I'll try to stay awake. ohwell

TIS
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
It's an interesting premise but I don't see how it can last for any length of time...

That's what I was thinking. It was pretty good though. Imperioli's hair is ridiculous and funny.

Had to look up the diet coke thing... 1982.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/10/08 07:59 AM

Enjoyed both of the UK series very much!

Will be looking for the US version. As Turi says above, a great cast!
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/11/08 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Not bad... I'll give this show a chance. And I LOVE the soundtrack! cool

Some good songs, but if anything it seems to signal this show won't last long. (Along with the premise)

Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano

What, like "No-Nuts" Norris?

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/17/08 01:30 PM

Damn! I wanted to watch this so badly, and I fell asleep after the first 10 minutes or so. That's no reflection on the show, just an indication that I didn't feel well. The acting was very good and the storyline seemed interesting.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/17/08 01:59 PM

I watched it last night but half watching it and doing some online research for the inlaws. So I can't even tell you what happened.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/17/08 03:07 PM

I watched the whole second episode. It seemed a lot more corny than the first, which was actually pretty intriguing.

Imperioli was GREAT, though, as usual. I loved one line of his towards the end - (Classic Christopher line) - "I will burn you down and bury you in my big yard where my big dog takes big craps." (Paraphrasing). lol

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/17/08 04:20 PM

Oh, so that's what was recording last night while I was watching the game... I'll watch it tonight.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/18/08 02:01 PM

Shoot, I missed it again? What day is it on??? confused I would like to see it.

TIS

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/18/08 02:53 PM

TIS, How ya doin? It's on Thursday nights at 10pm.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 10/18/08 07:14 PM

Hi Mig,

I'm having a very rough year at work this year....busier than shit, if you know what I mean. ohwell Otherwise I'm ok, just stressed. How about you? How are the wedding plans coming?

Thursday night at 10:00 hu? I'm trying to think of what I watched and why I didn't notice it was on. I hope I get to see it before it gets cancelled. wink

TIS
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 12/08/08 12:12 PM

Okay, so I finally got to watch the Original UK version and I loved it. Granted, with their limited budget, it couldn't compete with the better cinematography, action and extras that the ABC production enjoys, but it just doesn't do without Philip Glenister! He is the heart of the show and Keitel, while being a wonderful actor isn't eligible to play this part because of his age, lack of a certain cuteness that makes us forgive his animal behavior and of course fitness that make him believable. Gordon Brown! lol! Oh me gosh! lolz

But in the US version Sam Tyler is cuter and has become the center of attention. ohwell

Anyway, the US version is a bit overdramatic in the storyline, and according to the demand has religious overtone. Not sure if they'll be able to pull off the UK ending which was sheer brilliance. And I hope they don't make it go for more than two seasons, we should thank Simm for this, because this is not the type of the show that could go on and on till it gets cancelled and they decided to wrapped it up. It would be a shame.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 03/03/09 02:19 PM

ABC cancels "Life on Mars" frown
Quote:
By Nellie Andreeva – 2 hrs 51 mins ago

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – ABC's "Life on Mars" won't return for a second season.

The network has decided not to renew the time-travel series, which stars Jason O'Mara as 2008 Detective Sam Tyler working as a cop in 1973 New York.

The show will complete its 17-episode freshman-season order with an episode written as a series finale, wrapping the loose story ends, explaining how Tyler was transported back in time and perhaps bringing him back to his own time.

Filmed in New York, the series boasts one of the strongest acting ensembles on TV with O'Mara, Harvey Keitel, Michael Imperioli and Gretchen Mol.

"Mars" enjoyed strong support from ABC brass and ran in some of the network's premiere schedule slots -- Thursday 10 p.m., after "Grey's Anatomy," and Wednesday 10 p.m., after "Lost."

Still, the show, based on the British series of the same name, didn't click with viewers.

With its serialized nature, many considered "Life" to be better suited as a limited series, the way it aired in the U.K.

(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 03/03/09 03:22 PM

I did enjoy the show when I remembered to watch it, but for some reason, I could never remember when it was on. Then they put it in hiatus forever, and I definitely don't know when it airs now.

I think that the concept IS better suited to a limited run. And I hope that they do wrap everything up in the last episode.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 03/03/09 03:38 PM

Wednesdays at 10pm ET on ABC -- I had to look it up myself. With a DVR, I don't have to remember. tongue

I just loved seeing Keitel and Imperioli every week -- and that great 70s fashion grin

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 03/03/09 03:42 PM

That's one of the things that I always loved about "That 70s Show" - the clothes actually were quite realistic. I remember looking at something that Donna or Jackie was wearing and saying - Oh,no! I think I actually had that shirt in high school!

Keitel and Imperioli were great to watch. Our DVR is quite limited and my daughter seems to have it quite full of 7 billion episodes of ER, so I'll have to remember to watch it!

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 03/03/09 05:49 PM

I think I only watched 2 or 3 epi's. I'd always forget it was on.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 03/03/09 09:50 PM

Eh, I guess I'm indifferent. I loved Imperioli, but didn't like O'Mara as Tyler.
Anyone else notice how a LOT of Sopranos actors were on the show (Vince Curatola - Johnny Sack - and the actor who played Jimmy Altieri were featured prominently in 1 episode). I guess that's more of the reason why I liked the show.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 03/03/09 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I did enjoy the show when I remembered to watch it, but for some reason, I could never remember when it was on. Then they put it in hiatus forever, and I definitely don't know when it airs now.

I think that the concept IS better suited to a limited run. And I hope that they do wrap everything up in the last episode.

The original British version ran for only 2 seasons, and ended by the creators' choice, despite getting big ratings.

Maybe they were right.

Though I haven't yet seen ASHES TO ASHES the spin-off.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 03/04/09 06:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
The original British version ran for only 2 seasons, and ended by the creators' choice, despite getting big ratings.

Maybe they were right.

Though I haven't yet seen ASHES TO ASHES the spin-off.

I think the main reason it was over in two seasons was John Simm, he didn't want to do more of it and thankfully understood that a concept like that couldn't run forever. If creators didn't want to continue, they wouldn't have agreed to do a spin-off. But with the American series, I don't see how there could be one, since Keitel is too old to find a love interest in 80's. grin

Ashes to Ashes had a decent finale for the first season, but all in all, is not as good as Life on Mars. Keeley Hawes leaves much to be desired and 80's fashion sucks. lol Plus I don't see where it want to go for the 2nd season, or the finale of the series be as mesmerizing as that of Life on Mars.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 03/04/09 09:36 PM

Ashes to Ashes was nowhere near as good as Life on Mars.

The mighty Philip Glenister was last seen on UK screens in a poor show called DEMONS playing an American,his accent was awful ohwell

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 04/07/09 02:56 AM

Well. I just watched the series finale and can honestly say I didn't see THAT coming!! Weird. I guess that's how the book ended, and presumably the UK version? And I guess that explains the title.... lol

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 04/07/09 05:02 AM

Well. I just watched the series finale and can honestly say I didn't see THAT coming!! Weird. I guess that's how the book ended, and presumably the UK version? And I guess that explains the title.... lol

There is a book???

The US ending, according to what I read must've sucked if you had seen the UK version. The ending for the UK version was fabulous, but I was sure that the US audience would not like it and they would make something else up.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 04/07/09 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
There is a book???

The US ending, according to what I read must've sucked if you had seen the UK version. The ending for the UK version was fabulous, but I was sure that the US audience would not like it and they would make something else up.

I'm sorry, I guess there isn't a book -- maybe I just misinterpreted the "Based on the story by..." notice in the beginning. blush

I'd love to see the UK version - but I don't see it on Netflix. ohwell

But the ending to the US version, which I won't give away, ...well... was kinda weird/bizarre/abrupt/out-there and almost comical. I know they patched the ending in when they found out it wasn't going to Season 2, so at least I commend them on ending it. But... well... lol.

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 04/07/09 08:59 AM

I'm sorry, I guess there isn't a book -- maybe I just misinterpreted the "Based on the story by..." notice in the beginning. blush

I'd love to see the UK version - but I don't see it on Netflix. ohwell

But the ending to the US version, which I won't give away, ...well... was kinda weird/bizarre/abrupt/out-there and almost comical. I know they patched the ending in when they found out it wasn't going to Season 2, so at least I commend them on ending it. But... well... lol.

Don't worry about it, I couldn't wait to see it and read the plot for the finale on wiki. I tell you, it sucked. lol

Anyway, I suggest you download it from the torrents, which is what I used to do before I lose my dsl connection. grin

Re: Life On Mars (ABC) - 04/10/09 02:27 PM

I see there is a new series of ASHES TO ASHES starting on the BBC next week?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET