Home

movies on tv?

Posted By: OneMore

movies on tv? - 03/13/08 07:41 PM

I was planning on staying in this weekend and watching some tv because the weather isn't supposed to be very nice but I don't know what to watch. Where have all the movies on Tv gone? I can't seem to find anything on anymore. It's crazy. I'm also not used to basic cable but still. My cable has been cut off so I only have basic cable right now. It's not fair.. Anybody got any suggestions for what to watch on tv?
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: movies on tv? - 03/13/08 08:25 PM

Instead of putting films on TV nowadays they have all the crappy reality shows on instead.

You should watch a DVD.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: movies on tv? - 03/13/08 08:26 PM

Reality shows really are dumbing us down more than we already are.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: movies on tv? - 03/13/08 08:32 PM

All i ever hear at work is people talkin about this show that show,its so annoying.Don't people don't watch films anymore?

Posted By: svsg

Re: movies on tv? - 03/13/08 11:18 PM

I am new to the cable jargon. I don't know what goes under basic cable. I watch AMC and IFC regularly. AMC is good on weekends, though I don't keep track of specific timings. I almost never watch TCM. If you have Time Warner Cable, there is Jesse James on demand for $5+taxes. Or as DeNiro suggested, get DVDs from BlockBuster. If you have the bandwidth and have no moral diffidence, start downloading some movie today and you will have it by the weekend.
Posted By: deadmeadow

Re: movies on tv? - 03/14/08 07:00 PM

wisegal is on tomorrow at 9...i think it's on lifetime.
i'm going to try to catch that, or i'll probably rent a movie from blockbuster .. i'm leaning more towards michael clayton.
Posted By: scollia

Re: movies on tv? - 03/17/08 07:48 PM

alyssa milano was smoking hot in wisegal... i thought the movie was mad good
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: movies on tv? - 03/19/08 04:41 PM

Reality shows aren't "reality" in the sense that they market themselves as. They're reality in Baudrillard's post-modern definition: they're a simulation that disguises that we in ourselves have become simulations. Reality TV is reality, because it shows how we consume and construct and view media "outside in the real (?) world".

As for films on TV, it's pretty bad over here. Gone are the days of Channel 4's "Videodrome" series with Alex Cox offering double bills of obscure delights and forgotten gems (dissing them in his introduction talks, haha), or the BBC's investment in world cinema. You'll be lucky if you get a Nicholas Ray double bill during the Christmas period these days, and even then it's late at night (the Val Lewton/Jacques Tourneur horrors played over Christmas here, but it was at 4ain the morning every night).

It's been changed: cable TV now have dedicated film channels, which is all fair and good, but availability is limited to those who wish to pay for extra channels. I for one do not.

I do think it's being distributed by other means these days, though, via the DVD. Film-viewing habits have changed drastically in the last decade and a bit.

Re: movies on tv? - 03/19/08 04:42 PM

Perfect grammar and punctuation.

I really hate you. \:p
Posted By: olivant

Re: movies on tv? - 03/19/08 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: OneMore
I was planning on staying in this weekend and watching some tv because the weather isn't supposed to be very nice but I don't know what to watch. Where have all the movies on Tv gone? I can't seem to find anything on anymore. It's crazy. I'm also not used to basic cable but still. My cable has been cut off so I only have basic cable right now. It's not fair.. Anybody got any suggestions for what to watch on tv?

Look for "The Robe" sometime between now and Sunday. They used to show it every Easter, but over the past decade its broadcast has declined.

What about A&E and the History Channel? On CBS try Two & a Half Men. It's pretty funny.

Re: movies on tv? - 03/19/08 09:52 PM

Yeah, that's a good one, Olivant. When I was a kid, I really used to like to watch The Miracle Of Our Lady Of Fatima with my mother, but they haven't shown it in years.

Re: movies on tv? - 03/20/08 05:32 PM

Although not particularly about Easter, have you ever seen A Bell for Adano? I found a copy of it for my sister. We saw it as kids.

Re: movies on tv? - 03/20/08 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Although not particularly about Easter, have you ever seen A Bell for Adano? I found a copy of it for my sister. We saw it as kids.

Of course!

It's one of the first films to concentrate on Italians. Plus, I've seen every movie Gene Tierney ever made. Plus, I'm a World War II buff.

I'd love to find a copy on dvd for my Dad.

Re: movies on tv? - 03/21/08 12:25 AM

Are ya'll watching the HBO series John Adams?

Re: movies on tv? - 03/21/08 05:46 PM

I haven't seen it yet but I can get it on demand.

Is it any good?
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: movies on tv? - 03/23/08 01:51 AM

I never watch movies on tv as I hate all the editing that is done to them.

Re: movies on tv? - 03/23/08 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Is it any good?

It's quite good. Giamatti is a good likeness for John Adams.

Re: movies on tv? - 03/24/08 01:37 PM

Is it any good?

It's quite good. Giamatti is a good likeness for John Adams.

The Barnes And Noble up by my brother was open yesterday, so I picked up the book on which the mini-series is based (JOHN ADAMS, by David McCullough). I'll read it first, then watch the series "on demand."

Given the choice, I usually prefer to read the book first.

Re: movies on tv? - 04/24/08 08:20 PM

Of course!

It's one of the first films to concentrate on Italians. Plus, I've seen every movie Gene Tierney ever made. Plus, I'm a World War II buff.

I'd love to find a copy on dvd for my Dad.

My sister reminded me that the title of the movie I meant to ask about was Miracle for Marcellino.

Do any of you recall it?
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: movies on tv? - 04/25/08 02:07 AM

Olivant, that rings a bell from Catholic School. Tell me a brief description of it if you would.

TIS

Re: movies on tv? - 04/25/08 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Olivant, that rings a bell from Catholic School. Tell me a brief description of it if you would.

TIS

It takes place back in the 1500s. A boy is taken in by monks and raised there. One day he goes up into the attic where there is a large crucufix. He talks with Jesus and brings him something to drink and eat. The boy eventually dies in Jesus arms.

I found the video for my sister and she is going to make a copy for me. It is a beautiful movie.

Re: movies on tv? - 04/25/08 02:29 AM

Ok, bear with me here. First of all, it sounds like a movie they'd show in Catholic school? Does this ring a bell....

"Marcelleno, pone (sp bread in Italian) Vino???????? It won't make sense to you at all if we are talking two different movies. Why do I remember that one part I'm not sure.

Anyway, let me know cause the time frame and what you've told me fits.

TIS
Posted By: klydon1

Re: movies on tv? - 04/25/08 02:32 PM

TIS

It takes place back in the 1500s. A boy is taken in by monks and raised there. One day he goes up into the attic where there is a large crucufix. He talks with Jesus and brings him something to drink and eat. The boy eventually dies in Jesus arms.

I found the video for my sister and she is going to make a copy for me. It is a beautiful movie.

I don't remember this at all, but I'm going to look for it.

Re: movies on tv? - 04/25/08 04:39 PM

Ok, bear with me here. First of all, it sounds like a movie they'd show in Catholic school? Does this ring a bell....

"Marcelleno, pone (sp bread in Italian) Vino???????? It won't make sense to you at all if we are talking two different movies. Why do I remember that one part I'm not sure.

Anyway, let me know cause the time frame and what you've told me fits.

TIS

That was a 1991 remake. I'm referencing the original from the mid-fifties.

Re: movies on tv? - 04/25/08 11:24 PM

I never saw the 1991 film (didn't even know it was popular enough for a remake). I was a kid in elementary Catholic school, so it had to have been around that time. Perhaps I'm thinking of another movie then.

TIS
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET