Home

Dean Martin

Posted By: Ice

Dean Martin - 01/10/08 09:01 AM

*** This is the thread where all your Dean Martin dreams come true...talk about his work and life here... ***

Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 10:32 AM

Don't you wanna say something about him.

Never been a fan of him to be honest.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 03:33 PM

I love Dean Martin!!

There, I said it!!

Anybody have any of his records they want to sell/get rid off? I just got a new turntable for Christmas, and only two Dean Martin albums (one being his Christmas album).
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 03:38 PM

I listened to his Christmas cd around Christmas. My sister had his, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby Christmas music. My daughter is into them now. I want to buy her Dean's roast tapes for her birthday. Of course, I won't mind watching them too.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 03:58 PM

I always liked Dean Martin (born Dino Crocetti btw). My first memories of Dino was when I was a little girl. We had one of those counsel old fashioned radios and Memories Are Made Of This was new. My parents brought the record on a 78.

I liked his smooth style and his sense of humor and his drunk act. I do remember my mom hated it when as she put it, "would flirt with all the girls."

In later years and something I appreciate even more now than I did then, is his Roasts. How fun!!! \:\)

My heart went out to him when his son Dino died in a plane crash here in California. I hear he never got over it. \:\( (understandably)

TIS
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 04:00 PM

Yeah, TIS, he never got over his son's death. As much as you can say, "Life goes on", it's never the same.

It's also equally sad that Dean died on Christmas.

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 04:16 PM

They had a bit on him years ago and they noted how he became a loaner in the end, going to the same Italian Restaurant (by himself)and sitting in the same booth. \:\(

I might be mistaken, but I thought his son, Dino died on or around Christmas too (but maybe I'm wrong. I'll check)

Anyway, on a happier note, I love his Volare, Return To Me, On An Evening In Roma, and of course Everybody Loves Somebody. Gosh, there's so many others.

TIS

Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 04:17 PM

Dino Jr. died on March 21st, 1987.

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Oops! Color me "wrong" then. \:p

Now I always thought Dino was cute. He was married to Dorothy Hamel right? Remember Dino, Desi & Billy???

TIS
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Didn't he die in a plane crash?

EDIT : Sorry TIS, I overlooked your post talking about his dying in a plane crash.
Posted By: SC

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
My first memories of Dino was when I was a little girl. We had one of those counsel old fashioned radios and Memories Are Made Of This was new. My parents brought the record on a 78.

He was the first movie star I ever saw in a real movie theater. I was five years old and it was a hot summer night (and long before we had air conditioning) so my parents decided to go to a movie to keep cool. They were showing "Pardners" with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. I remember a little of the movie (mostly that it was so much fun to hear the "grownups" laughing at the screen). I used to get Martin and Victor Mature mixed up when I was a kid... I thought they looked alike.

Everyone thought that Dean's career would go down the crapper after he and Jerry split, and for a few years it looked like they may be right. But a couple of decent movies and then the tv show on NBC made him one of the biggest names in the industry.

I used to watch his tv show regularly with my dad (it was one of the few things on tv we both liked).
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
They had a bit on him years ago and they noted how he became a loaner in the end, going to the same Italian Restaurant (by himself)and sitting in the same booth. \:\(

Apparently at the end of his life he became a total recluse, staying home and watching old movies by himself in a darkened room.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Dean Martin - 01/10/08 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Everyone thought that Dean's career would go down the crapper after he and Jerry split, and for a few years it looked like they may be right. A couple of decent movies and then the tv show on NBC made him one of the biggest names in the industry.

If anything Dean had the better career of the two. Jerry directed, produced and starred in a bunch of awful movies (Nutty Professor was the exception) and soon he became a parody of himself. Then there's that whole weird thing about how they love him in France.
Pretty much all Jerry has left is his pathetic telethon, and while his intentions are probably good, and while he has raised tons of money for a worthy cause, I still always laugh darkly at the fact that his theme song for Muscular Dystrophy is "YOU'LL
NEVER WALK ALONE."
Posted By: olivant

Re: Dean Martin - 01/11/08 01:21 AM

I've never felt more comfortable with a performer than when listening to Dean sing or watching him perform. He was truly one of the best - the best!
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Dean Martin - 01/11/08 04:22 AM

He seemed like a genuinely nice guy.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Dean Martin - 01/11/08 10:06 AM

As Elvis Presley told Dean's daughter, Deana:

"I may be the king of rock and roll, but your dad is the king of cool."
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET