Home

Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies

Posted By: Don Cardi

Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/23/07 01:39 PM

Signor Vitelli and I were having a discussion over in another thread and the subject of horror movies came up, so rather than hijack the other topic, I thought that I would start a topic on favorite pre-1970 Horror Movies.

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: J. Carrol Naish. Don Cardi certainly knows his Universal horror films. Naish's portrayal of the tragic Daniel in House of Frankenstein (1944) was unusually sympathetic for this series. Very memorable.

Speaking of gangster and horror films, does anyone remember an interesting film starring Boris Karloff called Black Friday (1940)? This one dealt with a partial brain transplant: Karloff transplants part of the brain of a dying gangster into his dying friend, a college professor who was mortally wounded after being accidentally shot by the thug. The professor recovers, but becomes a Jekyll/Hyde character alternating between kindly Professor Kingsley and ruthless killer Red Cannon - complete with physical transformation (!). Now-forgotten character actor Stanley Ridges played the dual role. Interesting and fun - if you don't take it too seriously. Bela Lugosi also had a supporting role as a rival mob boss.

Signor V.

I remember that movie Signor. Do you remember another movie with Karloff, which originally came out as an Italian movie titled Tre volti della paura, I and later when released in the USA re-titled Black Sabbath?

It's a compilation of 3 short stories and in one of them Karloff plays a Vampire. Very dark and chilling.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 01:48 PM

George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead is way up there on the list, for me. Critics panned it back in '68 for it's unusually graphic nature (at the time).
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 01:49 PM

Pre 1970?

Frankenstein 1931

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Pre 1970?

Frankenstein 1931

Oh, a true CLASSIC!

That whole series of Universal Horror films from back then was just fantastic.

Originally Posted By: XDCX
George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead is way up there on the list, for me. Critics panned it back in '68 for it's unusually graphic nature (at the time).

Definitley up there on my list too XDCX. A true cult classic.

There is anothe Cult Classic that Signor Vitelli and I share a passion for titled "The Last Man On Earth" with Vincent Price. It was later re-made with Charlton Heston as "The Omega Man" and while I liked the remake and thought that it was pretty good, the original with Vincent Price is still my favorite version.

I believe that they've just wrapped up filming a third version, with Will Smith reprising the role that Vincent Price and Charlton Heston played, based on the original book called I AM LEGEND.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 03:33 PM

"Bride of Frankenstein" is the class act of horror movies. Karloff's greatest performance, brilliant sets, great score, wonderful supporting performances--and a rich vein of dry humor throughout. Nothing else comes close.

Another that I watch often is "The Black Cat,"first and best of the Karloff/Lugosi collaborations. Ingenious and compressed story that avoids in-your-face horror, but creates a steadily increasing mood of decadence and corruption. Outstanding use of sets and makeup. A real chiller.
Posted By: SC

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 03:44 PM

Dunno if you'd include some of the more sci-fi movies in this genre but the 1950's had a bunch of them. Among the better ones:

"The Thing" (1951) - its fast paced dialogue (possibly the best in any sci-fi/monster flick), fine acting and awesome score (by Dmitri Tiomkin) absolutely rock! It always makes me shiver.

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951) - an absolutely awesome "message film" showcasing absolute power (that power given to the robot). An anti-war flick way ahead of its time.

"Them" (1954) - giant mutant ants take over the tunnels of L.A. in this well acted and well told thriller. The early buildup of the story is chilling.

"The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" (1953) - a much better than average monster flick. Ends up in New York's Coney Island and look for Lee Van Cleef in an early role (as the Army sharpshooter).

"Godzilla" (1954) - the Americanized version, starring Raymond Burr, is OK, but the full Japanese original ("Gojira") is better. Made only nine years after Japan was subjected to atomic warfare this anti-nuclear flick is damned good.

"The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956) - a pure thriller about paranoia. A wonderful ending!!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
"Bride of Frankenstein" is the class act of horror movies. Karloff's greatest performance, brilliant sets, great score, wonderful supporting performances--and a rich vein of dry humor throughout. Nothing else comes close.

Another that I watch often is "The Black Cat,"first and best of the Karloff/Lugosi collaborations. Ingenious and compressed story that avoids in-your-face horror, but creates a steadily increasing mood of decadence and corruption. Outstanding use of sets and makeup. A real chiller.

The scene when they are unveiling The Monster's Bride for the first time is magnificent. The look on Elsa Lancaster's face, those fixated eyes combined with the musical score makes for a truly memorable scene.

The Black Cat is definitely another good one. An excellent Edgar Allen Poe Tale. I also liked some of the other movies based on Poe stories like The Raven, The Oblong Box, etc. Vincent Price was outstanding in those movies.

And while on the subject of master of horror actors Karloff and Vincent Price, how about "The Comedy Of Terrors" which starrred the two of them as well as another master of horror, Peter Lorre? (which by the way, Signor V. was written by Richard Matheson, the writer of I am Legend).
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 03:56 PM

The best horror film is pre-1970.

Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/23/07 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Dunno if you'd include some of the more sci-fi movies in this genre but the 1950's had a bunch of them. Among the better ones:

"The Thing" (1951) - its fast paced dialogue (possibly the best in any sci-fi/monster flick), fine acting and awesome score (by Dmitri Tiomkin) absolutely rock! It always makes me shiver.

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951) - an absolutely awesome "message film" showcasing absolute power (that power given to the robot). An anti-war flick way ahead of its time.

"Them" (1954) - giant mutant ants take over the tunnels of L.A. in this well acted and well told thriller. The early buildup of the story is chilling.

"The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" (1953) - a much better than average monster flick. Ends up in New York's Coney Island and look for Lee Van Cleef in an early role (as the Army sharpshooter).

"Godzilla" (1954) - the Americanized version, starring Raymond Burr, is OK, but the full Japanese original ("Gojira") is better. Made only nine years after Japan was subjected to atomic warfare this anti-nuclear flick is damned good.

"The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956) - a pure thriller about paranoia. A wonderful ending!!

Most definitely would include these kinds of Sci-fi movies. (I edited the title, good point SC).

And all those that you mentioned in your post are true classics. However I must add one more to your list.

The Fly.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/23/07 04:31 PM

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/23/07 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

Untie the boat!! Untie the boat!!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/23/07 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Mignon

Untie the boat!! Untie the boat!!

I saw what I saw when I saw it!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/23/07 04:44 PM

That ("A&C Meet Frankenstein") was their last great movie.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/23/07 04:46 PM

What about the Cult B movie Carnival Of Souls? Anyone remember that one? Pretty scary stuff. Strange, dark and dreary , but a good one.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Vercetti

You're right--I should have added it to my list. Absolutely the best Drac film ever. Incredibly eerie and chilling.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 04:50 PM

Top 4 in no particular order:

-NOSFERATU (1922)
-FRANKENSTEIN (1931)
-PSYCHO (1960)
-JIGOKU (1960)

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/23/07 04:51 PM

No question about it. My favorite A & C movie.

Wilbur Grey: Well that's gonna cost you overtime because I'm a union man and I work only sixteen hours a day.
McDougal: A union man only works eight hours a day.
Wilbur Grey: I belong to two unions.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 04:52 PM

Absolutely right! Historical note on the anti-nuke content of "Gojira":
The movie was started soon after the US tested "Castle Bravo," at 15 megatons the largest H-bomb ever detonated by America in the atmosphere. A Japanese fishing boat strayed into the Pacific test area undetected. The crew was showered with radioactive debris. When it returned to Japan, all the crewmen were sick, and one died. The situation wasn't helped when Lewis Strauss, chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, held a press conference and said the boat was "a Soviet spy trawler--they got what they deserved." Huge riots ensued in Japan--and the movie was made.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 04:54 PM

You're right--I should have added it to my list. Absolutely the best Drac film ever. Incredibly eerie and chilling.

Have either of you ever seen Stephen Kings Salem's Lot?

The vampire in that movie was probably the closest to ever look like the original Nosferatu.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 05:01 PM

Absolutely right! Historical note on the anti-nuke content of "Gojira":
The movie was started soon after the US tested "Castle Bravo," at 15 megatons the largest H-bomb ever detonated by America in the atmosphere. A Japanese fishing boat strayed into the Pacific test area undetected. The crew was showered with radioactive debris. When it returned to Japan, all the crewmen were sick, and one died. The situation wasn't helped when Lewis Strauss, chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, held a press conference and said the boat was "a Soviet spy trawler--they got what they deserved." Huge riots ensued in Japan--and the movie was made.

GOJIRRAA!!!!!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 05:22 PM

Anyone remember this :

Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 06:01 PM

Two others in the old Universal catalog are The Wolfman and The Werewolf of London...both real classics.

Nosferatu, the silent movie was indeed one of the greatest as was Dracula with Lugosi.

In a completely different vein, I think one of the most horriffic films pre 1970 was Rosemary's Baby.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 07:00 PM

A few random thoughts on one of my favorite subjects:

The Fly (1958): Though some folks think it's tame by today's standards (and when compared to the nauseatingly graphic remake with Jeff Goldblum - who looks like a fly without makeup), this one still scared the crap out of me when I first saw it on TV nearly forty years ago. There is one amusing story I remember reading: Newspaper ads announcing the film's premiere had to be hastily changed when people opened their local tabloids and saw ads like "The Fly Opens Thursday!" or something similar. Seems that back in 1958, nobody's fly opened for any reason - especially not in a newspaper!

White Zombie (1932): Very low budget, but a gem, nevertheless. Memorable Lugosi line: "For you, my friend, they are the Angels of Death!"

Doctor X (1932): Two-color Technicolor. Lionel Atwill. Fay Wray. "Synthetic Flesh!" Need I say more?

Dark Intruder (1965): An odd one - it used to turn up all the time on late-night TV in the late '60s and early '70s, but it hasn't been shown is years, and it's impossible to find on VHS or DVD (it's one of the few I don't have). It dealt with a series of murders in 1890s San Francisco that may or may not have a supernatural connection. Running less than an hour, it was an unsold television pilot that ended up being released to theatres instead. Starring Leslie Nielsen, it features Werner (Colonel Klink) Klemperer totally unrecognizable under a wonderfully horrific makeup. I wish they'd show this one again!

Curse of Dracula (1958): AKA The Return of Dracula, another low-budget film that was (IMO) quite effective - especially the ending! Francis Lederer wasn't bad at all in the title role. "It is only this casing, this clumsy flesh that stands between us. Eternity awaits you now!"

I'll probably write more later.

Time to feed.

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
In a completely different vein, I think one of the most horriffic films pre 1970 was Rosemary's Baby.

A great film that did justice to a great novel.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/23/07 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

No question about it. My favorite A & C movie.

Wilbur Grey: Well that's gonna cost you overtime because I'm a union man and I work only sixteen hours a day.
McDougal: A union man only works eight hours a day.
Wilbur Grey: I belong to two unions.

To go along with that:
Chick Young: I don't get it. Out of all the guys around here that classy dish has to pick out a guy like you.
Wilbur Grey: What's wrong with that?
Chick Young: Go look at yourself in the mirror sometime.
Wilbur Grey: Why should I hurt my own feelings?

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 09:41 PM

Probably the greatest horror film of the 1930s, due in no small part to the hand of the director, James Whale. Whale knew how to balance the scary moments with the lighter moments. Whale's The Old Dark House (1932) and - particularly - The Invisible Man (1933) are both required viewing. (Though the print of The Old Dark House shown on TCM is sadly inferior to the pristine copy I saw back in 1970 at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.)

Interestingly, Boris Karloff hated having The Monster speak in Bride of Frankenstein. In a 1960s interview, he referred to the dialogue as "stupid". Obviously, the powers-that-be at Universal Pictures felt the same way, because in the next film in the series (Son of Frankenstein) the Monster was mute again.

As you say, another thing that made Bride of Frankenstein so memorable was the magnificent score by Franz Waxman. To this day, I cannot hear "Ave Maria" played on the violin without thinking of this film (and yes, I know, Waxman didn't write that). Bride, and the original King Kong (score by Max Steiner) had, IMHO, the best scores of any genre films of that time.

Though I agree with your assessment of The Black Cat, I have to say that The Raven (1935) is also one of my favorite Karloff/Lugosi vehicles. Perhaps because it's so over-the-top with ripe dialogue and Lugosi's scenery-chewing. ("Poe, you are avenged!")

Signor V.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: XDCX

That is a classic.

I'm a big fan of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, from the great Robert Wise. I would love to riff that scene where the alien words Lincoln's words at the Memorial and remark that he wants to meet a human* like that.

*=Of course, this was in 1951, when Lincoln was practically an American God. I do miss that sentimentality of sorts, even if its more myth than reality.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 11:19 PM

Invasion of the Saucermen.

The only movie that ever gave me nightmares.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 11:33 PM

The 50's had great B horror movies, too, that attained some sort of cult status. While they weren't very good, they were entertaining. Four that come to mind right away are:

"The Creature From the Black Lagoon" - a laugher about a "gill man" in the Everglades.

"The Crawling Eye" - an omelette type monster with long tentacles in the Alps. Forrestt Tucker starred.

"The Blob" - starred Steven McQueen in this campy story of a big ball of jelly running amok.

"The Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" - really silly movie but had this awesome lookin' babe blown up to giant proportions!
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 11:42 PM

"The Blob" - starred Steven McQueen in this campy story of a big ball of jelly running amok.

I actually was thinking about the movie "The Blob" when I saw this thread. I remember seeing it as a little girl. I can only assume they made a remake. This would have been in the 1970's, or perhaps they just showed the old movie. Don't know as I can't remember who was in the movie I saw.
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 11:50 PM

Cardi, you should look into Universal's Legacy Collection DVD series. They really are a fantastic collection of boxed sets that put together all of the great Universal horror films, categorized by monster. I personally own three of the sets--Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Wolf Man--and between the three sets I have 14 films. I'm fairly certain other sets have been added to the series as well. It's an excellent collection of films; most definitely worth the money.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/23/07 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Beth E

I actually was thinking about the movie "The Blob" when I saw this thread. I remember seeing it as a little girl. I can only assume they made a remake. This would have been in the 1970's, or perhaps they just showed the old movie. Don't know as I can't remember who was in the movie I saw.

They did a remake (that had some pretty good special effects) but it wasn't as campy as the original.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Cardi, you should look into Universal's Legacy Collection DVD series. They really are a fantastic collection of boxed sets that put together all of the great Universal horror films, categorized by monster. I personally own three of the sets--Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Wolf Man--and between the three sets I have 14 films. I'm fairly certain other sets have been added to the series as well. It's an excellent collection of films; most definitely worth the money.

Thanks LLC. I actually bought the complete special edition boxed set that contained all the classic Universal Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolfman movies when it first came out. They even threw in a set of ceramic busts of Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolfman.

I just gave those 3 busts to my nephew who has a newfound interest in the universal monsters.

While I enjoy all of those movies, for some reason I really enjoy House of Frankenstein.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 12:10 AM

The 50's had great B horror movies, too, that attained some sort of cult status. While they weren't very good, they were entertaining.

"The Creature From the Black Lagoon" - a laugher about a "gill man" in the Everglades.

A cult favorite! They made a few more Creature movies after that one : Revenge Of The Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us.

As you said, Cult B movies that were very entertaining.

Does anyone remember a movie with Peter Lorre called The Beast With Five Fingers?
Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 12:24 AM

While I enjoy all of those movies, for some reason I really enjoy House of Frankenstein.

I just watched that last night, actually, in attempt to watch all of the films included on the sets I mentioned in chronological order.

Yes. I really had nothing better to do. \:p

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 12:48 AM

Check out House Of Dracula.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/24/07 12:59 AM

You guys have mentioned all good ones so far.

I'll add "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde with Spencer Tracey. I was just a kid when I saw that movie. I went to bed that night, forgot to take my glasses off, but was too scared to jump out of bed to put them on the dresser. My dad came in during the night and removed them fore me. It's been almost as many years since I've seen it though.

I too liked The Day The Earth Stood Still, and although kind of corny, "The Blob" (Steve McQueen version) is one of my favorites. I remember watching The Creature from The Black Lagoon and enjoying that one as well.

The Vampire movies and Werewolf movies are probably my favorite "monster" type movies I guess. Although Frankenstein is pretty cool too.
\:\)

TIS

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/24/07 01:40 AM

The Day the Earth Stood Still is just about my favorite. It was somewhat controversial so they had to change the dialogue in the scene where Klaatu comes back to life.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/24/07 01:49 AM

I never saw The Day The Earth Stood Still at the movies.

They use to have Saturday Night At The Movies(anyone remember?) tv show with a more recent popular movie and I remember the family gathered around the tv to watch it. Myself and my brother are really the only ones who enjoy horror/sci-fi, but this was like a big deal because everyone in the family watched it. \:\)

TIS

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 02:44 AM

Recently, I've been getting into Roger Corman's Poe-adaptations he shot for AIP in the 1960s with ole Vincent Price, with THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH my favorite so far. No surprise, the great Nicholas Roeg, in his early days, was Corman's DP.

Seriously, Price was one of those guys who whenever he appeared in a movie, he just fucking dominates it away from everyone. He was that awesome. Imagine Bruce Campbell, but with theatrical training...and a better career.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Seriously, Price was one of those guys who whenever he appeared in a movie, he just fucking dominates it away from everyone. He was that awesome.

So true Ronnie. I couldn't agree more. He is probably one of my, if not my, most favorite horror movie actor of all time.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/24/07 02:55 AM

While the 1941 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (with Spencer Tracy) is good, I've always preferred the earlier 1932 version with Fredric March. After years of being supressed (because MGM had bought the rights from Paramount for their 1941 remake and didn't want competition), and then shown only in a censored version, the film was finally fully restored several years ago. This is the version that TCM shows. And, BTW, I've read lots of "explanations" of how the Jekyll-to-Hyde transformations were achieved, and nobody gets it right! And yes, I know how they did them - it's actually quite obvious (though no less brilliant) if you study the film closely.

The Beast With Five Fingers (1946) was a lot of fun, but the ending was a bit of a letdown. I'm not going to give it away if anyone out there hasn't seen the film. Nothing quite beats the shots of a dismembered hand playing the piano (left hand only) in the middle of the night! Any film starring Peter Lorre is worth a look.

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein is one of my all-time favorites. Even though the moving candle bit was re-used from Hold That Ghost, the film is still a classic. Great line: "Hey Chick - you know that person you said there's no such person? I think he's in there, in person!" In fact, just about every line is great!

The Vampire (1957). Not many people remember this one. It was always shown on TV as Mark of the Vampire, but should not be confused with the 1935 MGM film of the same title. This one starred John Beal as a small-town doctor who gets infected by a bat's bite and periodically changes into a Horrible Bloodsucking Fiend. This one used to turn up a lot on NYC television's Chiller Theater on WPIX in the early 1960s. Back in 1935, Beal had starred with Katharine Hepburn in The Little Minister. By the late '50s, he was reduced to appearing in low-budget stuff like this - but the film was still good for a few scary moments.

The Island of Lost Souls (1932): The House of Pain! First - and best - adaptation of H.G. Wells's The Island of Dr. Moreau. "What is the Law?" "Law no more!" (Hell, I turn an animal into a human being every time I shave...)

More later.

Signor V.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 03:01 AM

The vampire in that movie was probably the closest to ever look like the original Nosferatu.

Actually Cardi, Werner Herzog's remake of Nosferatu probably looks the most similar, with Klaus Kinski playing the title role.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/24/07 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I never saw The Day The Earth Stood Still at the movies.

They use to have Saturday Night At The Movies(anyone remember?) tv show with a more recent popular movie and I remember the family gathered around the tv to watch it. Myself and my brother are really the only ones who enjoy horror/sci-fi, but this was like a big deal because everyone in the family watched it. \:\)

TIS

Yes, I remember SNATM. In fact, wasn't it during one of them that The Godfather was first broadcast on TV (BC = before cable)?

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 03:34 AM

As far as science-fiction films, here are just a few of my personal favorites from the "early days":

Metropolis (1926): Simply a magnificent film. I will add, however, that I absolutely hated the version that had the "score" by Giorgio Moroder. I felt that was an absolute travesty. Some may think I'm narrow minded, and that is their right; it's just my opinion.

Just Imagine (1930): I first saw this in 1970 at NYC's Museum of Modern Art. Almost 20 years ago, a local PBS station showed it once. It's a dated, corny, sexist, sci-fi musical starring a very young Maureen O'Sullivan and the now-forgotten John Garrick.

The Mysterious Island (1929): Shot as a silent film, a few talking sequences were quickly inserted when it became obvious that silent movies were rapidly going the way of the dinosaur. Not pure Jules Verne by any means, but still quite entertaining. Originally in two-color Technicolor, it's shown on TCM in b&w. (Only one color reel survives and is held at the UCLA Film & Television Archives.)

Things to Come (1936): Only a 93 minute version of this film seems to survive (at least in the US), and most available prints are public-domain. Pity. I've always liked this one; it used to turn up a lot on public television. Here's an interesting bit of trivia: The role of Theotocopolous was originally shot with Ernest Thesiger, but his scenes were scrapped and he was replaced by Sir Cedric Hardwicke. Evidently, the powers-that-be wanted a name with more "marquee value".

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 04:11 AM

As far as science-fiction films, here are just a few of my personal favorites from the "early days":

Metropolis (1926): Simply a magnificent film. I will add, however, that I absolutely hated the version that had the "score" by Giorgio Moroder. I felt that was an absolute travesty. Some may think I'm narrow minded, and that is their right; it's just my opinion.

Just Imagine (1930): I first saw this in 1970 at NYC's Museum of Modern Art. Almost 20 years ago, a local PBS station showed it once. It's a dated, corny, sexist, sci-fi musical starring a very young Maureen O'Sullivan and the now-forgotten John Garrick.

The Mysterious Island (1929): Shot as a silent film, a few talking sequences were quickly inserted when it became obvious that silent movies were rapidly going the way of the dinosaur. Not pure Jules Verne by any means, but still quite entertaining. Originally in two-color Technicolor, it's shown on TCM in b&w. (Only one color reel survives and is held at the UCLA Film & Television Archives.)

Things to Come (1936): Only a 93 minute version of this film seems to survive (at least in the US), and most available prints are public-domain. Pity. I've always liked this one; it used to turn up a lot on public television. Here's an interesting bit of trivia: The role of Theotocopolous was originally shot with Ernest Thesiger, but his scenes were scrapped and he was replaced by Sir Cedric Hardwicke. Evidently, the powers-that-be wanted a name with more "marquee value".

Signor V.

No, you're right about that wretched Moroder score.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 05:41 AM

Another fun "monster movie" of the period was "Gorgo". A giant dinosaur is released by a volcanic explosion and is captured alive and brought to London to appear in a "circus". They then discover that the giant is only a baby and its mother is coming after it!!! ("Mommy" tears London up getting her baby back).

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 08:39 AM

I love the 1951 version of "The Thing from another world"

James Arness has such a presence the few times that he is on screen in that movie. I think that his not overdoing it and not appearing too much throughout the movie is what makes it such a thriller.

As you mentioned, the score rocks and it adds such great anticipation, the building up of fear, everytime The Thing is about to enter the scene.

I can remember being a kid and watching this movie for the first time, late at night with my father, and loving it.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 05:37 PM

I had forgotten about Gorgo and The Thing. That was James Arness as The Thing who went on to become Marshall Dillon in Gunsmoke

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
That was James Arness as The Thing who went on to become Marshall Dillon in Gunsmoke

Yep... he also appeared in "Them" (as an FBI agent) in 1954. I think thats when he started starring in "Gunsmoke".

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 06:09 PM

Another fun "monster movie" of the period was "Gorgo".

I have mixed feelings about Gorgo. When I was little, it turned up a lot on "Million Dollar Move" on Channel 9 in NYC. I saw it several times. Then, around ten years ago, I caught it on cable and was surprised at how much of the film (close to 40%, I'd say) was made up of stock footage. When you're a kid these things don't register, but as an adult it was impossible to ignore. Still, I probably wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Decided to watch House of Dracula last night. For some reason ol' Larry Talbot has a moustache in this one. So, how come when he transforms into the Wolf Man it mysteriously disappears even though hair is now growing on every other part of him? But I really shouldn't look too hard for continuity in this film: Both Dracula and the Wolf Man turn up out of the blue (and seeking medical cures for their conditions) after being killed off in the previous film (House of Frankenstein). But the film is enjoyable, nevertheless. And Chaney even gets the girl!

This Island Earth (1955) is one of my favorites from the '50s. It doesn't seem to get much mention anymore, with a lot of attention going to The Thing and The Day the Earth Stood Still. Don't get me wrong, those films are classics - but I think This Island Earth has been unjustly neglected lately.

The Tingler (1959): Anything with Vincent Price is worth watching. If you can get over the silly-looking monster (I'm sure Iron Chef Morimoto could have made ten different sushi dishes out of it), it's great fun. Really needs to be seen in a theatre for the best effect, though. ("Scream! Scream for your lives!") And, how about the scene where Price drops acid? ("The waaaallllllls!!") Definitely a little gem.

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror Movies - 08/24/07 06:12 PM

The Tingler (1959): Anything with Vincent Price is worth watching. If you can get over the silly-looking monster (I'm sure Iron Chef Morimoto could have made ten different sushi dishes out of it), it's great fun.

If thats the one that attaches to your spine when you're scared, it IS an absolute gem!!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/24/07 06:12 PM

The DVD of "Day the Earth Stood Still" has some interesting fun-filled facts among the "extras." One of them is that Gort the robot was played by Lock Martin, 7'7" tall, who made a living doing novelty appearances at Knott's Berry Farm, as a doorman at Grauman's Chinese Theater, etc. They explained that people with abnormalities that make them grow that tall are actually weaker than average folks. So, in the scene where Gort is carrying Patricia Neal into the flying saucer, you can actually see wires leading from his shoulders to his forearms to help him bear the load.
It's one of my faves--a truly intelligent, thoughtful film. Hugh Marlowe, Eternal Smarm, went on to play an even smarmier character in "Seven Days in May," one of Frankenheimer's best.
"Klaatu Barata Nikto!"

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/24/07 06:14 PM

"Klaatu Barata Nikto!"

Those three words saved the earth!!!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/24/07 10:31 PM

James Arness has such a presence the few times that he is on screen in that movie. I think that his not overdoing it and not appearing too much throughout the movie is what makes it such a thriller.

As you mentioned, the score rocks and it adds such great anticipation, the building up of fear, everytime The Thing is about to enter the scene.

I can remember being a kid and watching this movie for the first time, late at night with my father, and loving it.

John Carpenter shot a BETTER version of the same story in his 1982 remake.

I respect alot of tension and shadow-suspense that Hawks does, but Carpenter makes his tale more frightening, more gritty, more about humanity turning against each other in paranoia & fear, and memorable FX shots.

I mean, nobody ever forgets the alien-infected human head that falls off the operating table and sprouts spider legs, and simply walks away.

I would also add David Cronenberg's THE FLY remake, light years better than the Vincent Price film.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/24/07 11:44 PM

I respect alot of tension and shadow-suspense that Hawks does, but Carpenter makes his tale more frightening, more gritty, more about humanity turning against each other in paranoia & fear, and memorable FX shots.

I just had this conversation in PM and while I can't argue that Carpenter's version is vastly superior by virtue of its special effects and its truer to the story ("Who Goes There?") and because of that fact it adds more to the paranoia, I still prefer the '51 version. Its dialogue, so fast paced and expertly delivered, is without peer in any sci-fi flick and its score brilliantly adds to the feeling of cold and desolation. Its always been THE perfect stormy night movie for me.

I think, too, that since I "grew up" with the '51 version, it has something to to do with my preference.

FWIW - I like Carpenter's version very much.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 12:14 AM

I would also add David Cronenberg's THE FLY remake, light years better than the Vincent Price film.

That's your opinion Ronnie, and you are certainly entitled ot it. While I don't deny that Carpenter's version had much better special effects and as SC said, remained more true to the story that it is based on, there is just something about the original that does it for me. The original, unlike the newer version, leaves a lot more to the imagination even though there is a physical Alien in the 1951 version vs. a germ in the newer version. Just something about the whole build up and anticipation when the Thing is about to make an appearance. But I do happen to also like the newer version.

As for the remake of The Fly, well again, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I don't think that the newer version of The Fly is "light years" ahead of the Vincent Price version.

While I will watch and enjoy BOTH versions of The Thing, I totally enjoy the original version of The Fly and feel that the newer version lacked the intensity and suspense that the older version had. The older version depended on that suspense and anticipation where all the newer version depended on was makeup and special effects.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 12:56 AM

One of the problems I had with the remakes of The Thing and The Fly (especially the latter film) was the tendency to replace mood and terror with revolting gore and nauseating makeup effects. For me, something was lost.

Since the horror film has "evolved" to the point where virtually anything goes, filmmakers are oft-times determined to show us anything and everything. First it was makeup, now it's computer-generated effects. Again, for me, something has been lost - particularly when films hurl one effect after another at the viewer for ninety (or so) minutes. Perhaps this is why I didn't care for Van Helsing.

Remember when Hammer Films were considered "pushing the envelope"?

But, I'm going off on a tangent here. "Remakes vs. Originals" just might make for an interesting thread on its own.

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 01:12 AM

One of the problems I had with the remakes of The Thing and The Fly (especially the latter film) was the tendency to replace mood and terror with revolting gore and nauseating makeup effects. For me, something was lost.

I totally enjoy the original version of The Fly and feel that the newer version lacked the intensity and suspense that the older version had. The older version depended on that suspense and anticipation where all the newer version depended on was makeup and special effects.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels that many of these re-makes lack the intensity, suspense and mood that the original versions had.

"Remakes vs. Originals" just might make for an interesting thread on its own.

I was thinking the same thing when I was responding to Ronnie's post. Go for it Vitelli. It should make for some really interesting discussion.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 01:24 AM

Well, FWIW I usually prefer originals to remakes, and although I like the originals I "prefer" the remakes of The Fly and The Thing. \:\/

TIS

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 01:30 AM

I "prefer" the remakes of The Fly and The Thing. \:\/

TIS

TIS, you're The Italian Stallionette, and I love you, but don't ever take sides against the family again!

One remake that I liked a lot more than the original was Dawn Of The Dead.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 01:32 AM

Just found another one in my collection that I all but forgot about. "It Came From Beneath the Sea" (1956) another Kenneth Tobey flick. Its a low budget movie about a gigantic octopus that ends up in San Francisco bay (partially destroying the Golden Gate Bridge). It dwelled too much on the love interest angles but its worth a look to see some of the dated special effects.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 03:26 AM

Ok, I don't know where this movie would fit in or even what category it would be placed in because it was so terrible that no one could classify it!

For some reason this movie just popped into my head :

War Of The Gargantuans!

OMG! Anyone remember it?

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 04:42 AM

Since the horror film has "evolved" to the point where virtually anything goes, filmmakers are oft-times determined to show us anything and everything. First it was makeup, now it's computer-generated effects. Again, for me, something has been lost - particularly when films hurl one effect after another at the viewer for ninety (or so) minutes. Perhaps this is why I didn't care for Van Helsing.

Remember when Hammer Films were considered "pushing the envelope"?

But, I'm going off on a tangent here. "Remakes vs. Originals" just might make for an interesting thread on its own.

Signor V.

Very astute observation SV. It's tempting for latter day directors and producers to substitute quanity of one sort or another for substance. The Fly and Thing remakes are faux productions compared to the originals.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 05:31 AM

War Of The Gargantuans!

OMG! Anyone remember it?

Do I ever! I saw War of the Gargantuas in the theatres back around 1967(?) and have been avoiding it ever since! That was another film that used to turn up with some regularity on Chiller Theater on WPIX in NYC. That film was one of those that comprised the nadir of Russ Tamblyn's career. (That, and the crap he made for Al Adamson.) Hard to believe that it had only been a few years since Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and West Side Story. But, just like Nick Adams in Frankenstein Conquers the World, when Hollywood seemingly forgets you're alive, Japan beckons.

At least with Tamblyn, he's lived long enough to enjoy a rediscovery.

Re: SC and It Came From Beneath the Sea - I've always felt that anything by Ray Harryhausen was worth watching. I have a copy of this somewhere, though it's been a few years since I've hauled it out. As I remember the backstory, this was the famous "quintopus" - only five tentacles because the producers could only afford $50,000 for Harryhausen's services. Supposedly, he charged $10,000 per tentacle for his special effects stop-motion wizardry. Of course, nowadays, you wouldn't have to call in the military - just Lidia Bastianich! Presto! Instant Seafood Salad for a large gathering on It Came From Lidia's Family Table! \:D

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 05:38 AM

Re: SC and It Came From Beneath the Sea - I've always felt that anything by Ray Harryhausen was worth watching. I have a copy of this somewhere, though it's been a few years since I've hauled it out. As I remember the backstory, this was the famous "quintopus" - only five tentacles because the producers could only afford $50,000 for Harryhausen's services. Supposedly, he charged $10,000 per tentacle for his special effects stop-motion wizardry. Of course, nowadays, you wouldn't have to call in the military - just Lidia Bastianich! Presto! Instant Seafood Salad for a large gathering on It Came From Lidia's Family Table!

Agreed (about Ray Harryhausen). That brings up another group of good movies - all his "Sinbad" flicks!!

FWIW - The octopus in "It Came From Beneath the Sea" actually had SIX tentacles.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 06:16 AM

FWIW - The octopus in "It Came From Beneath the Sea" actually had SIX tentacles.

You're right - my mistake.

I think my misinformation came from (very) old articles on Harryhausen published in Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine.

According to Harryhausen himself, in his book Film Fantasy Scrapbook:

"For those of you that have seen the picture, you may or may not have noticed that the octopus only had six tentacles. By necessity, we had to work on a rather tight budget... I sometimes wonder if the budget had been cut anymore if we might not have ended up with an undulating tripod for the star villain of the picture."

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 04:40 PM

I just had this conversation in PM and while I can't argue that Carpenter's version is vastly superior by virtue of its special effects and its truer to the story ("Who Goes There?") and because of that fact it adds more to the paranoia, I still prefer the '51 version. Its dialogue, so fast paced and expertly delivered, is without peer in any sci-fi flick and its score brilliantly adds to the feeling of cold and desolation. Its always been THE perfect stormy night movie for me.

I think, too, that since I "grew up" with the '51 version, it has something to to do with my preference.

FWIW - I like Carpenter's version very much.

Well, Carpenter's version is better too because the monster is more interesting. Its not some dude in a suit stalking the heroes, its really a faceless evil who's doing its biological duty to survive, and a bunch of guys who don't take care to being used for such a duty.

Plus, the ending is cooler.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 04:47 PM

That's your opinion Ronnie, and you are certainly entitled ot it. While I don't deny that Carpenter's version had much better special effects and as SC said, remained more true to the story that it is based on, there is just something about the original that does it for me. The original, unlike the newer version, leaves a lot more to the imagination even though there is a physical Alien in the 1951 version vs. a germ in the newer version. Just something about the whole build up and anticipation when the Thing is about to make an appearance. But I do happen to also like the newer version.

As for the remake of The Fly, well again, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I don't think that the newer version of The Fly is "light years" ahead of the Vincent Price version.

While I will watch and enjoy BOTH versions of The Thing, I totally enjoy the original version of The Fly and feel that the newer version lacked the intensity and suspense that the older version had. The older version depended on that suspense and anticipation where all the newer version depended on was makeup and special effects.

THE FLY remake is better because you know why? Because Cronenberg is an intelligent mother fucker. Oh sure, an old-timer like you see only gore, but I see really a Monster movie tale in the best of traditions.

That is, the hero becoming a monster, and you are behind him, but you realize....he has to be put down. He is too much of a danger and threat for society to keep living.

Yet when that ending comes, Jeff Goldblum, now devoid of any of his original humanity, displays his last glimpse of humanity when he helps his woman kill him.

Besides, the remake has Goldblum's transformation not as goofy or as ridiculous as 1950s monster pictures go. We see a human/fly hybrid that is just so fucked up, its so biologically blissful. Plus, he rips an asshole's arm off at a bar. Whats not to like?

Then again, maybe my not-so-warm feelings for the original THE FLY stems from that whole idea of scientists being evil because they dare to play God or whatever nonsense. I know, people got pissed pff at them because of the Atomic bombs and all that (of course, I would blame more the governments who keep & arm them, but whatever) but still, its not only silly...its boring.

With the remake, the hero doesn't suffer for trying to play God. He suffers because he was careless. Now that makes more sense to me.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 04:48 PM

I "prefer" the remakes of The Fly and The Thing. \:\/

TIS

TIS, you're The Italian Stallionette, and I love you, but don't ever take sides against the family again!

One remake that I liked a lot more than the original was Dawn Of The Dead.

With that last statement, now I know I'm correct more than ever. \:D

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 05:17 PM

Chiller Theater on WPIX in NYC.

The show that gave us every PRE-1970, B grade Horror and Sci-Fi flick ever made! Excellent show!

CHILLER THEATER WPIX

You know something Vitelli, I think that the PRE-1970 Horror and Sci-Fi flicks, B films or not, had a certain attraction to them. Let's face it, in this day and age, with all the technology and the high budgets in hollywood, anyone can re-make a horror movie and add all these special effects and what have you.

But before that kind of progress, before the 1970's and up, the makers of these films actually did a pretty good job working with the technology that they had at the time and the low budgets that they were given. They had to have original thought and actually write their own scripts and storylines.

Exactly why I chose to discuss PRE- 1970 Horror and Sci-Fi movies.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 05:36 PM

Not for nothing, but no one even mentioned

I Was A Teenage Werewolf!

Check out this PHOTO GALLERY and listen to the typical B movie music that was commonly used back then! You have to love it!

Vitelli, you are going to love this one!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 05:57 PM

Here's one that I used to watch regularly in my younger days:

The Magic Sword (1962): This one couldn't seem to make up its mind if it was a fantasy film or a horror film, but I found it entertaining. It was made by '50s low-budget king Bert I. Gordon, and, truthfully, looks a little better nowadays that when it originally came out. Basil Rathbone and Estelle Winwood were perfectly cast as Evil Sorcerer and Good Sorceress, respectively. Gary Lockwood was Sir George and Maila "Vampira" Nurmi had a small role as - what else? - a vampirish hag.

True story: In 1973, when I was a senior in high school, our Drama Club was treated to a talk given after school by two professional actors. They weren't "stars", just working actors who wanted to tell us kids what the life of a professional actor was like. One of them was a face I had seen in many commercials at the time, but the other guy was also vaguely familiar. Then the name clicked: Liam Sullivan. He played the traitorous turncoat knight in The Magic Sword. There was a question and answer session at the end of the talk, and I spoke up, saying to Mr. Sullivan that I recognized him from one of his movie roles. He seemed genuinely pleased, and asked which one. "You were Sir Branton in The Magic Sword!" I said, cheerfully. A look of horror and embarassment overtook him and he seemed to actually shrink two sizes. He stammered that being a professional actor means that you sometimes take roles that, in retrospect, you wish you hadn't! Hoping to salvage the situation, I said how I liked the film, and liked his performance. He tried to smile a little, but I could see that The Magic Sword was not a film he wanted to be reminded of!

Hey, it wasn't that bad.

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 06:04 PM

Not for nothing, but no one even mentioned

I Was A Teenage Werewolf!

You mean Rebel Without a Razor?

Believe me, I was going to get around to that one! I was going through some tapes the other night and found it - it may be time to watch it again (if I'm soused enough).

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 07:40 PM

Now thats a blast from the past!

I see they showed "Frankenstein vs. Dracula" the night before I was married. That should've been a foreboding of the marriage - she was "Dracula". (she sucked the life out of me ).

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 08:11 PM

Boy, do I remember that piece of merde!!

(And yeah, I have it somewhere in the Vitelli Archives.)

What can you say about a bottom-of-the-barrel pile of drek that marked the cinematic swan-songs of both J. Carrol Naish and Lon Chaney Jr.?

They took some no-talent hairdresser named Roger Engel, gave him some dime-store Halloween Dracula fangs and the name "Zandor Vorkov" (courtesy of Forrest J Ackerman) and then tried to pass him off as an actor?! Gimme a break!

I think films like this one are only "worthwhile" once you're on your second (or third) six-pack.

But I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir! ;\)

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/25/07 09:28 PM

War Of The Gargantuans!

OMG! Anyone remember it?

Do I ever! I saw War of the Gargantuas in the theatres back around 1967(?) and have been avoiding it ever since! That was another film that used to turn up with some regularity on Chiller Theater on WPIX in NYC. That film was one of those that comprised the nadir of Russ Tamblyn's career. (That, and the crap he made for Al Adamson.) Hard to believe that it had only been a few years since Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and West Side Story. But, just like Nick Adams in Frankenstein Conquers the World, when Hollywood seemingly forgets you're alive, Japan beckons.

At least with Tamblyn, he's lived long enough to enjoy a rediscovery.

Re: SC and It Came From Beneath the Sea - I've always felt that anything by Ray Harryhausen was worth watching. I have a copy of this somewhere, though it's been a few years since I've hauled it out. As I remember the backstory, this was the famous "quintopus" - only five tentacles because the producers could only afford $50,000 for Harryhausen's services. Supposedly, he charged $10,000 per tentacle for his special effects stop-motion wizardry. Of course, nowadays, you wouldn't have to call in the military - just Lidia Bastianich! Presto! Instant Seafood Salad for a large gathering on It Came From Lidia's Family Table! \:D

Signor V.

Chiller Theater? In Pgh. we had a similar saturday night movie. Can't remember the show's name. But it was hosted by Chilli Billi Cardilli who I believe also hosted Saturday Studio Wrestling and a few other programs.

Anyone remember the Beast with Five Fingers?

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 02:21 AM

Chiller Theater? In Pgh. we had a similar saturday night movie. Can't remember the show's name. But it was hosted by Chilli Billi Cardilli who I believe also hosted Saturday Studio Wrestling and a few other programs.

Bill "Chilly Billy" Cardille's Pittsburgh TV show was also called Chiller Theater. If I remember correctly, he also had a local hit record called "Chilly Billy's Vamp", though I've never actually heard it. Cardille had small roles in both versions of Night of the Living Dead.

I remember watching him host wrestling on shows that were carried in the NYC area in the late '60s: "This is Bill Cardille, the voice of professional wrestling, welcoming you to sixty minutes of unorganized mayhem where anything is liable to happen - and usually does!" When Vince McMahon Jr. came on the scene, Cardille was out. Around 1973-74, I saw him hosting a wrestling show on a small upstate New York TV station (possible from Utica), though I don't know where that show actually originated.

From what the IMDb says on Cardille's bio page, he's still heard locally on a daily radio show.

Check out this site:

Chiller Theater Memories

Quote:

As far as The Beast With Five Fingers, I remember it very well - I have it on tape somewhere in the Vitelli Archives. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I'm betting a lot of other folks have seen it too.

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 02:44 AM

I do remember some of those titles SC and SV mentioned. Most I'm sure I watched on the late show as a kid. I don't remember the Frankenstein Conquers the World, but is Nick Adams "Johnny Yuma" (Was A Rebel)fame.

You guys are very knowledgeable and have good memories because I don't remember any of the hosts/late shows you speak of. Were they local only?

I liked to watch the creature feature type late shows. You could always count on one station showing a horror flick on a Friday or Saturday night. Not anymore though. \:\/

TIS

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 02:54 AM

Bill "Chilly Billy" Cardille's Pittsburgh TV show was also called Chiller Theater. If I remember correctly, he also had a local hit record called "Chilly Billy's Vamp", though I've never actually heard it. Cardille had small roles in both versions of Night of the Living Dead.

I remember watching him host wrestling on shows that were carried in the NYC area in the late '60s: "This is Bill Cardille, the voice of professional wrestling, welcoming you to sixty minutes of unorganized mayhem where anything is liable to happen - and usually does!" When Vince McMahon Jr. came on the scene, Cardille was out. Around 1973-74, I saw him hosting a wrestling show on a small upstate New York TV station (possible from Utica), though I don't know where that show actually originated.

From what the IMDb says on Cardille's bio page, he's still heard locally on a daily radio show.

Check out this site:

Chiller Theater Memories

Quote:

As far as The Beast With Five Fingers, I remember it very well - I have it on tape somewhere in the Vitelli Archives. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I'm betting a lot of other folks have seen it too.

Signor V.

Thnks for the Cardille update. It's been awhile. I psted elsewhere that the Invasionof the Saucer Men gave me nightmares as a kid. But I also remember that the Beast with Five Fingers did also. I think they remade it, but I haven't seen it.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 03:14 AM

TIS - Many major cities had local horror movie shows with popular hosts in the '50s and '60s (and occasionally later). Unfortunately, they were, as I said, local - and they were almost never recorded for posterity. So, just about nothing remains of the "legendary" years of these horror-show hosts.

olivant - If you mean a remake of Invasion of the Saucermen, I think it was called The Eye Creatures and was made in the early or mid 1960s. Haven't seen it, but heard it wasn't particularly good. If you mean The Beast With Five Fingers, I don't believe it was ever remade - though there have been a few other "crawling hand" films here and there.

Signor V.
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 03:30 AM

Does anybody remember Day of the Triffids? I loved this movie as a kid.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 03:41 AM

Does anyone remember a movie with Peter Lorre called The Beast With Five Fingers?

As far as The Beast With Five Fingers, I remember it very well - I'm betting a lot of other folks have seen it too.
Signor V.

One Halloween, when we were kids, we all got together down in my friend Junior's basement to watch scary movies. I had an 8MM projector ( way before VCR's became a common household item) and Junior had a bunch of 8MM horror movies. So I brought over my projector and a couple of horror movies that I owned. But I remember that Junior made us watch The Beast With 5 Fingers first because it was his favorite horror movie. I'll never forget that hand crawling up on the piano to play it!

To this very day, if that movie comes up in conversation, I always think of that Halloween down in Junior's basement watching 8MM horror movies.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 05:25 AM

I do remember some of those titles SC and SV mentioned. Most I'm sure I watched on the late show as a kid. I don't remember the Frankenstein Conquers the World, but is Nick Adams "Johnny Yuma" (Was A Rebel)fame.

You guys are very knowledgeable and have good memories because I don't remember any of the hosts/late shows you speak of. Were they local only?

I liked to watch the creature feature type late shows. You could always count on one station showing a horror flick on a Friday or Saturday night. Not anymore though. \:\/

TIS

I assume you refering to those local late night shows where such shows had a genre-themed MC running that setlist of pictures...damn, I hated that I missed it.

Or did I?

I still have fond memories of Joe Bob Briggs and the awesomeness that is MONSTERVISION on TNT. He would trash the hell out of the very movies shown....and tell you why they also rocked.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Does anybody remember Day of the Triffids? I loved this movie as a kid.

Definitely! I have it somewhere in the Archives, though I'll confess I haven't watched it in around fifteen years.

True story:

Late one Saturday night in the early 1970s, I was watching this film when it aired on my local NBC station. Right after the part where most of the world goes blind from the meteor shower, the screen faded to black and they went to a commercial. Suddenly, a deep-voiced announcer intoned, "Do you thank God that you can see?" I did quite a double-take. Turns out it was a public service announcement for a charity (might have been The Eye Bank). Talk about timing!

On a sadder note, Kieron Moore, who had a role in The Day of the Triffids died last month. And Kerwin Mathews, who had starring roles in Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and Three Worlds of Gulliver also passed away in July. (I always used to confuse the two actors.)

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 12:43 PM

I assume you refering to those local late night shows where such shows had a genre-themed MC running that setlist of pictures...damn, I hated that I missed it.

I was fortunate enough to catch which were probably re-runs of the famous Zacherley.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 01:22 PM

Even at the age of 8 years old, I could have given any of those horror show hosts a run for their money! ;\)

See Vitelli, you're not the only one that was into hollywood makeup and horror costumes!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 03:04 PM

TIS - Many major cities had local horror movie shows with popular hosts in the '50s and '60s (and occasionally later). Unfortunately, they were, as I said, local - and they were almost never recorded for posterity. So, just about nothing remains of the "legendary" years of these horror-show hosts.

olivant - If you mean a remake of Invasion of the Saucermen, I think it was called The Eye Creatures and was made in the early or mid 1960s. Haven't seen it, but heard it wasn't particularly good. If you mean The Beast With Five Fingers, I don't believe it was ever remade - though there have been a few other "crawling hand" films here and there.

Signor V.

I was thinking of the The Hand by Oliver Stone from 1981. It starred Michael Caine.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 03:38 PM

Thats you, DC????

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 04:05 PM

Thats you, DC????

Yes it is. I was about 8 years old in that photo.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 04:31 PM

How cute!!! What a darling little boy DC!! ;\) Great costume too.

TIS

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 04:44 PM

DC,

That is just precious.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 04:52 PM

Thats you, DC????

Yes it is. I was about 8 years old in that photo.

Had we known! Had we taken it all seriously! Had there been school counselors at the time! How did he fall through the cracks? The heartache and heartbreak: it all could have been avoided. But, alas, what did they say?: he'll grow out of it; he's so cute; he's so prescious. Madonne!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 05:05 PM

How did he fall through the cracks?

You did!

And now YOU are teaching the future of our country!! \:\(

\:p ;\)

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 05:56 PM

I was about 8 years old in that photo.

What a cute kid!!

What happened to ya?? \:p

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 07:16 PM

See Vitelli, you're not the only one that was into hollywood makeup and horror costumes!

Obviously not! That's a great photo!

But I took one look at those claws and fangs you were sporting, and immediately realized I had the exact same set when I was very young. I think they were the first ones I ever had. The nails were orange, and the teeth were soft plastic. I used to use mine for werewolf fangs, and wore them over my bottom teeth. Boy, talk about memories! You're almost tempting me to look through my old photo albums again!

"Bevare!"

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 10:18 PM

I was about 8 years old in that photo.

What a cute kid!!

What happened to ya?? \:p

You and this place happened to me! \:p

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 10:20 PM

You and this place happened to me!

Then you should look like that picture NOW!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 10:32 PM

You and this place happened to me!

Then you should look like that picture NOW!

This being said by my brother from anotha motha?

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 10:37 PM

You got the looks.... I got the brains.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 10:43 PM

You got the looks.... I got the brains.

And neither of us got the hair!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/26/07 10:54 PM

I gave up mine 20 years ago for Lent.

It never came back.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/27/07 02:44 PM

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" is being re-made and will be released next year. Keanu Reeves is starring.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/27/07 03:47 PM

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" is being re-made and will be released next year. Keanu Reeves is starring.

And the geeks that won't shut up about the Rob Zombie HALLOWEEN remake fail to cry about this real disaster waiting to happen.

I mean, from the director of HELLRAISER: INFERNO, we're boned.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/27/07 05:10 PM

I gave up mine 20 years ago for Lent.

It never came back.

SV has some hair for ya remember?

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/27/07 08:30 PM

Is that true? I hope so. I've been wondering why noone had ever remade it.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/27/07 08:35 PM

Is that true? I hope so. I've been wondering why noone had ever remade it.

Very coincidentally I saw that bit of news on tv today. I looked it up on IMDb and there's a confirmation but they don't have many real details.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/28/07 01:51 AM

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Many believe that the premise of "aliens" taking over bodies in the movie was symbolic of the times when paranoia about communism taking over the world was running rampant.

And not for nothing, but how many damn times are they going to re-make this movie?

I've always been a fan of the original.

Whatever you do, don't go to sleep. And don't scream!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/28/07 01:54 AM

Whatever you do, don't go to sleep. And don't scream!

"I never knew the meaning of fear until I kissed Becky..."

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/28/07 01:57 AM

"And so I ran. I ran! I ran! I ran! I ran as little Jimmy Grimaldi ran the other day."

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/28/07 02:10 AM

I haven't seen the re-cut version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers that removed the studio-imposed prologue and epilogue and brought the film back to what was originally intended.

Anyone see this version and have any comments?

Is this the version that now turns up on cable?

(And I am in agreement - enough with the remakes already!)

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/28/07 02:20 AM

I agree, enough of the remakes. Why is it this movie they choose to keep redoing? I loved the original. The remake with Donald Sutherland was good as well,but enough is enough.

I hadn't heard about a rermake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still." I can imagine that would be very modernized with today's technology. I loved the original, even though I'm kind of picky about what Sci-Fi movies I like.

TIS

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 08/28/07 02:51 AM

I agree, enough of the remakes. Why is it this movie they choose to keep redoing? I loved the original. The remake with Donald Sutherland was good as well,but enough is enough.

I hadn't heard about a rermake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still." I can imagine that would be very modernized with today's technology. I loved the original, even though I'm kind of picky about what Sci-Fi movies I like.

TIS

I can't wait to see Gort. I just hope they don't "modernize" him like in I, Robot or similar flicks.
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/15/08 05:15 AM

Does anyone remember Invaders from Mars (1953)? This was another one of those movies I saw when I was very young and loved it. I wonder how good it would be to see it again.

I watched it with my brother and the babysitter and my brother got scared from the scenes that showed the invaders melting the walls inside the tunnels with ray guns. I guess the bubbling oozing effect really scared him. lol

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/15/08 07:34 AM

I THINK I remember that one, Blibble. There was something about little pieces of plastic being inserted into the back of people's necks, right?

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/15/08 09:53 PM

How about Invasion of the Saucermen and The Beast with Five Fingers?

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/16/08 03:47 PM

How about The Beast with Five Fingers?

Peter Laurie & J. Caroll Nash, right? I remember it well. One of my cult classic favorites!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/16/08 04:43 PM

I'll do you one worse... it really doesn't fit this category because it came out in 1972, but who could forget the unbelievably bad, "The Thing with Two Heads" (starring Ray Milland and Rosie Grier).

Milland played a really rich bigot who needed a transplant and ended up getting his head attached to Rosie Grier's body (while Grier was still in it). lol

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/16/08 04:48 PM

I'll do you one worse... it really doesn't fit this category because it came out in 1972, but who could forget the unbelievably bad, "The Thing with Two Heads" (starring Ray Milland and Rosie Grier).

Milland played a really rich bigot who needed a transplant and ended up getting his head attached to Rosie Grier's body (while Grier was still in it). lol

Ha ha ha ha!! Yes, I remember SC. That was embarrassing, especially for an actor of Milland's stature. What the hell were they thinking? lol When I was much younger they use to show that movie more, but haven't seen it listed in the tv guide in years and years.

TIS

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/16/08 04:54 PM

That was embarrassing, especially for an actor of Milland's stature. What the hell were they thinking?

Right?? Milland was a great actor (his role in "The Lost Weekend" was one of the best performances I've EVER seen) and to see him in a movie like this was certainly disheartening.

He must've needed money BADLY.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/16/08 05:51 PM

Milland was a great actor (his role in "The Lost Weekend" was one of the best performances I've EVER seen)

Great movie! His acting was fantastic in that role.

But getting back to Milland and Sci-Fi / Horro movies......

The Man With The X-Ray Eyes!

I love that movie!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/16/08 08:13 PM

Peter Laurie & J. Caroll Nash, right? I remember it well. One of my cult classic favorites!

Peter Lorre was such an uderrated actor. I guess he was the Danny Devito of his day. That movie and The Invasion of the Saucermen were the only movies ever to give me nightmares. Both involved severed hands. Remember in the Saucermen when the hand was crawling up the backside of the carseat? I need to watch both again.

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/16/08 11:39 PM

I thought of one and went and scanned the pages and didn't see it mentioned. I know some of older BBers remember "The Incredible Shrinking Man?" I really liked that movie. I felt so sorry for that guy frown (Grant??????something was the actor I believe). Anyway, I thought it was a neat movie.

It seems like it be a good one to remake no? With all of today's technology. Or,maybe they have and I missed it.

TIS

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/16/08 11:54 PM

I know some of older BBers remember "The Incredible Shrinking Man?" I really liked that movie.

That makes two of us, TIS. That was Grant Williams as the guy who kept shrinking away. I saw it last year (on tv) again and was somewhat surprised at how well it stood up against time (even though some of the FX are dated).

Gotta love it when he battled the spider in the basement!

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/17/08 12:14 AM

Oh, and before there was Damien and Rosemary's baby, remember "The Bad Seed?" What a creepy child. eek

TIS

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/17/08 01:50 AM

The Bad Seed was exquisite for its theme, its acting, and its simplicity. It was horror without gimmicks, special effects, etc. I think it was the best film expression of the evil that lurks in the soul.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Favorite Pre-1970 Horror/Sci-Fi Movies - 07/17/08 07:08 PM

If you guys love all those movies, you should read Danse Macabre by Stephen King. It's about horror movies, radio and TV shows, and covers many of the films you're discussing. Not sure if it's still in print, since it would be a bit outdated with all the films that have come out since it's publication, but try to get it if you can. A fun read.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET