Home

Memorable visits to the cinema

Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 04:36 PM

In celebration of that most magical of places, the film theatre, which brings strangers together in a shared intimacy. In an art gallery, people can come and go as they please, taking steps back from this painting or that painting; in a silent reading class, people read at different speeds; at the theatre, people have different views of the stage, often affecting their appreciation of the play. But in the cinema there is no class divide, no pretences, it's dark and anonymous and you're experiencing the same work of art at the same time - there's no stepping back from it.

Discuss and reminisce over your most memorable visits to the cinema. First dates, hardcore midnight screenings, back-to-back double bills, whatever...
Posted By: SC

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 05:05 PM

So many memories....

I think the first movie (in a theater) that I remember was a new release of a Martin/Lewis film "Pardners" (1956) that my parents took me to see (to escape a hot apartment with no air conditioning). It was awesome to this five year old to be in a big theater with hundreds of other people hearing them laugh and having a good time. (I saw the movie on tv years later and it instantly brought back memories of sitting in the dark, cavernous and cool balcony with my parents).

Going to a Coney Island theater (with my brother-in-law) to see a personal appearance by the Three Stooges in 1962 (when they were promoting their new movie, "The Three Stooges Meet Hercules"). It was sad for me to see how old they really were then but the idea of being in a large theater with hundreds of other kids my age screaming was totally fun (it drove my brother-in-law nuts).

A 1967 Friday night date with a really hot chick to see "Wait Until Dark"... there was one particularly scary scene which caused her to squeeze my arm so hard it almost bled. I milked it for what it was worth ( ). The audience TOTALLY exploded with screams, after which everyone started gabbing at the same time (to calm down)... (being part of a large audience adds so much more excitement to viewing a movie, IMHO).

Going to see a double feature (God, I miss those) in 1965 with my brother-in-law... "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" and "The Bedford Incident". "The Spy..." (starring Richard Burton) was the lead movie but we were both totally bored by it and totally confused by it... "The Bedford Incident" (with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier) was a totally different story - we loved it!
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 05:14 PM

Well, I got engaged after MOONSTRUCK (1987).

You see, nothing good ever came out of a Cher movie. I should've taken her marriage to Sonny as a hint.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 05:31 PM

I remember my parents taking me to see Alan Arkin in Popi when I was pretty young. He played a father who was struggling to raise two young boys in a bad neighborhood. He decided that it would be better for them to be washed ashore and taken in as Cuban immigrants than what he could offer them. I remember them screaming, Popi! Popi! as he set them adrift. It scared the crap out of me, and I cried and cried.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 05:46 PM

Cinemas really are havens for people's memories. I know that a lot of mine belong in their warm darkness. It's a place of safety, of security, of complete self-nakedness.

Loved your Wait Until Dark memory, SC. I'll share mine later, one of which is very similar to that one, and others involving full sell-outs, too.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 05:50 PM

I do miss double features.

Great story, SC.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 06:00 PM

For some reason I'm still unclear about, I remember I had a fascination with Jaws when I was a kid. When Jaws II came out, I must have bugged the crap out of my parents to the point that they finally relented and took me to see it. I was probably 7-8 years old at the time.

At the time I didn't know why we were waiting to go into the theater, but it was in between showings. I asked my dad why it was taking so long for them to let us in. Without missing a beat, my dad said "it takes awhile to dry off the seats from the shark!" Of course, this comment did nothing to alleviate my fears about going into the movie or the water.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: goombah
For some reason I'm still unclear about, I remember I had a fascination with Jaws when I was a kid.

I saw "Jaws" on its first day of release. There were long lines waiting to get into the theater and my ex and I were getting caught up in the excitement of the moment as everyone was gabbing about the media frenzy and the pre-movie hoopla. We got inside, took our seats and waited for the movie to start. Right in front of us was a mother with three young children.... BIG MISTAKE. All through the first few minutes of the film one of the kids kept asking, "Mommy, mommy, when are we gonna see the whale"?? Well, when the shark is finally shown the kid got scared shitless and started crying REALLY LOUDLY. The audience started yelling for the mother to take the kid outside (hey, it was a Brooklyn audience).
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 10:24 PM

There's only one memorable visit that sticks out in my mind. I can't remember exactly how old I was, maybe younger then 9. My mom and sisters and I were visiting my aunt, and for some reason we all went to see this movie, "She-devils on wheels". I have no idea why I was even in the theatre to see this movie, perhaps no one could find a babysitter. I don't have a clue what this movie was about. I believe there was a time when someone "lost their head" so to speak and it was rolling down a hill or something. I started yelling "Weeeeeeeeeeeeee", as if it were a ball rolling down a hill.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/27/07 10:24 PM

Great topic, Mick! \:\)
I think the first movie I ever saw in a theater was the original "King Kong" in one of its Forties re-releases. An uncle took me. A family legend is that I asked him why Kong didn't have a dick. At least that's what they tell me...
Then there was "Annie Get Your Gun" (1950). That was memorable because I kept having to go the bathroom, the other patrons were annoyed, and my folks were embarrassed...
A standard feature of neighborhood movie houses in Brooklyn in the Fifties was that, the door would open on Saturday morning at 9 a.m., and kids would come pouring in to see three feature films, 25 cartoons, serials, Three Stooges shorts, etc. Parents loved it--kids wouldn't come home until five or six p.m. That's where I saw "The Conqueror" for the first time (1956). Unforgettable scene: Susan Hayward, playing outraged royalty just kidnapped by the greasy, yak-fat-dripping Mongols, asks The Duke how he intends to keep her in the style to which she's accustomed. The Duke's wearing an Oriental Bishop's Mitre and has his eyebrows tweezed upward, but he's still The Duke:
"By day, the pelts of my sheep shall keep thee warm. And by night, the heat of my body shall protect thee from the desert winds." I fell off the chair laughing.

Another impressive one: When "The Ten Commandments" finally made it to The Nabes, my local theater actually sold reserved seat tickets. Amazing! Still a great movie.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 12:22 AM

Oh, TB, I used to LOVE going to the movies on Saturdays with my best friend Kathleen. My dad would walk us to the Wakefield Theater (because we weren't allowed to cross White Plains Road alone) and we would spend almost the entire day there. It was magical. I remember going to see Lassie Come Home, and hiding under my coat because I was so sure that Lassie was NOT going to make it out alive. And that was where I saw The Sound of Music, which I wanted to go to over and over and over, and Gone With the Wind, the first movie I ever saw that had an intermission.

My dad, who worked at the pharmacy a few doors down from the theater, had some sort of arrangement with the owner or the ticket-taker (God only knows) and we had a pass that got us in for free. I remember my brothers fighting over it on date night.

I also remember going to Radio City Music Hall to see movies. There would be a floor show and then the film. I believe I saw My Fair Lady at the Easter Show, and couldn't get over how stunningly beautiful Audrey Hepburn was.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

My dad, who worked at the pharmacy a few doors down from the theater, had some sort of arrangement with the owner or the ticket-taker (God only knows) and we had a pass that got us in for free. I remember my brothers fighting over it on date night.

My aunt, who was an executive secretary for the company that owned all the "Art Movie" houses in Manhattan that showed foreign films in the Fifties and Sixties, used to get us passes. No one in my family ever paid for a movie--at least a foreign movie. We saw all the great Cinema Realismo films from Italy, the "New Wave" French movies, the "Angry Young Man" films from the UK, on the cuff. Lotta cheap dates for me. ;\)

Quote:
I also remember going to Radio City Music Hall to see movies. There would be a floor show and then the film. I believe I saw My Fair Lady at the Easter Show, and couldn't get over how stunningly beautiful Audrey Hepburn was.

Going to Radio City was a major, major big event in every New York kid's childhood. Parents would take you to see the Xmas tree in Rockefeller Center, maybe an hour or two around the ice rink--then the movie and Xmas show at Radio City. Rock Center is the pinnacle of New York Art Deco, and the Music Hall is the Taj Mahal. My favorite space in NYC.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Rock Center is the pinnacle of New York Art Deco, and the Music Hall is the Taj Mahal. My favorite space in NYC.

Yes indeed. I echo that. It's like that's the hub of everything that attracts everyone to the city. The Christmas tree is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Hopefully I'll get to see a show at Radio city whenever I return.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 01:30 AM

My mother always tells a great story about taking my brothers to Radio City. They went down to see the show at Radio City, but they couldn't get in. My mother said it absolutely freezing, so to get out of the cold, they went to see Peyton Place at the Roxy. My brothers were pretty young and Peyton Place was quite the scandalous film for its day.

When my brothers went back to school, Sister asked the class to give a report on what they did over their vacation. My brother rushed up to the front of the classroom and told all about seeing Peyton Place over his vacation. My mother said that she avoided the school like the plague for weeks.

We took the kids to see the Christmas show at Radio City last year. It was fantastic, but it must have been less expensive when we were kids. It was a pretty hefty price tag for an annual event.
Posted By: Partagas

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 01:57 AM

I recall one time at the theatre I thought I would never make it to my seat as the floors were so sticky. Once I sat down I realized I was sitting in front of Paul Reubens. I don't think I shook his hand but was really ticked off as the roof must have been leaking or someone in the balcony was squirting somethng on the back of my head.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 02:04 AM

This one will always stick in my mind:

It was New Year's Day, 1973. Freezing, bitter cold. I took Sue, my date, to see Peter O'Toole in The Ruling Class at the Avenue M movie theatre in Brooklyn.

It was a fairly decent size movie house, with the main level divided into three seating sections - left, center (the largest) and right. There was also a double-door exit along each side wall and no rows of seats near those doors so access would be easy after the movie.

We were sitting in the left hand section, around two or three rows back from the "aisle" leading to the side exit. The staff had been having an ongoing problem with a young (younger than us) group of jerks who were loud, throwing things, etc. Finally, they were evicted from the theatre, and none too quietly.

We settled in to watch the rest of the film in peace, but around ten minutes later we heard a huge boom - we thought it was an explosion, but those kids had kicked open the side doors from outside. Bone-chilling arctic air came rushing in, and right to where we were sitting. Then a huge (around 7 foot) Christmas tree came literally flying into the theatre like a rocket, just narrowly missing some employees who were going over to shut the doors.

I think we stayed to catch the next showing of the film, considering all we had missed due to the unscheduled "floor show".

The Avenue M theatre is long gone, but Sue and I have remained friends.

Truly a day to remember.

Signor V.
Posted By: DonPacino

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 02:12 AM

I dont remember much, but my first movie was Toy Story. I loved it. I went to see Toy Story 2 with my little brother and I covered his eyes when the scary parts(atleast they were to us) came up, and with his short temper, he ended up screaming at me! I have seen so many bad films at the cinema. I have seen all my favourite movies, like The Godfather, on DVD.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 03:01 AM

Good topic Capo!

I'm trying to think of the very first movie I saw and really can't remember. I'm thinking it was The Ten Commandments. I have memories of being very young and seeing it at the drive-in with my family. I remember being in awe at the whole epic.

A minor memory that sticks with me for some reason; when I was about 10 or 12 years old, we were visiting an aunt/uncle in Detroit and my older cousin asked my mom if she thought my sister and I were old enough to see "Imitation Of Life." Sounds so tame now. Ha ha But, I wasn't allowed to see it.

I remember Wait Until Dark also and that unexpected scene SC speaks of. Nothing like seeing something like that in the theater.

I also remember standing in line and waiting to see The Exorcist at it's debut. There was so much hype, I had read the book, seen interviews with cast on Merv Griffin/Mike Douglas shows and was so ready to see it. There was an intermission at one point and everyone went to the lobby (you could smoke in the lobby at that time. )You could tell everyone was a little freaked. I remember one guy who was standing by us trying to lighten up the mood and said, "boy I wouldn't call this a good make-out film would you?" Why I remember that little tidbit, I don't know.

I am glad also that I was able to see "West Side Story" at the theater. I'm not real big on musicals (or should I say maybe a little fussy when it comes to musicals), but I really liked that one.

TIS
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 03:33 AM

A vivid early memory for me was me, my mother, and some friends all waiting in line on the friday night when BATMAN RETURNS opened in theaters, back in June 1992.

The line stretched from the front box-office to the back of the mall (put it simply, the length of 2 football fields) and we waited for 2 hours, so we had a little pre-planned picnic.

This was INSIDE the mall, and we had a blanket out and a ball of a time. It helped also that inside the mall at that time was a REVCO Drug Store, where we bought candy and smuggled it under our shirts.

After the movie, a news crew was out there to get instant-reactions of the movie (mind you, RETURNS was seen as "the" movie of that summer) and my mother was apparently upset about the sex/violence in it to the news crew, how it'll give her kid nightmares.

Then I jump in front of the camera and interrupted her, my 8-year old insanity: "IT WAS AWESOME! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!"*

She never forgave me for that. \:\)

*=Then again, we kids seemed to have liked the movie, and that whole sex/violence thing which I didn't notice until I saw it back recently...went over my head. Adults assume way too much. Thats why we're lame.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: SC

I saw "Jaws" on its first day of release.

I'll never forget seeing that movie. I believe I was in the 5th grade. Me and some friends went to the mall to go see it. When that head came out of that boat I screamed so hard. I had nightmares for days after that.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 05:36 AM

My mother always tells a great story about taking my brothers to Radio City. They went down to see the show at Radio City, but they couldn't get in. My mother said it absolutely freezing, so to get out of the cold, they went to see Peyton Place at the Roxy. My brothers were pretty young and Peyton Place was quite the scandalous film for its day.

Roxy Rothapfel, the entrepreneur who designed and operated the Roxy, also designed Radio City Music Hall. The Roxy was condemned as a monument to bad taste. The Music Hall is one of the most venerated theaters in the world.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 08:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon about "Jaws"
When that head came out of that boat I screamed so hard. I had nightmares for days after that.

That, and the scene that TIS spoke about in "Wait Until Dark" were the two most scary scenes I've ever seen. The theater in which I saw it went wild right after that scene. My date was holding my arm and had her head resting on my shoulder. She sank her nails into my arm so hard that it actually left marks... and her scream (right next to my ear) deafened me for a few minutes.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Beth E
I believe there was a time when someone "lost their head" so to speak and it was rolling down a hill or something. I started yelling "Weeeeeeeeeeeeee", as if it were a ball rolling down a hill.

Geez ... even at that age you had a twisted sense of humor. \:p

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I also remember standing in line and waiting to see The Exorcist at it's debut. There was so much hype, I had read the book, seen interviews with cast on Merv Griffin/Mike Douglas shows and was so ready to see it.

I had first seen "The Exorcist" after it had been out for about a month... it was at this point that the hype about the movie was its highest. It was a Saturday night as my ex and I joined a mob in the theater's lobby (the theater management allowed the ticket holders to wait inside because it was raining out) to wait for the next show. The crowd that was inside watching the curent showing let out a LOUD collective scream and everyone in the lobby nearly shit their pants. Everyone looked at everyone else for some sort of comfort and then the lobby broke out into a Tower of Babble as we were tried to make sense out of what we just heard. My wife and I quickly befriended two other couples (who were just as nervous as my wife and myself). When it came time for us to enter the theater we all vowed to sit together for protection. (This was in a City theater.. when a movie theater was a REAL theater... 12, 1300 seats... not like the mini multiplexes today ... those old large houses added SO MUCH enjoyment to a movie; hearing other people scream or laugh or applaud made it more of "an experience").

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 08:38 AM

Another memorable theater experience:

It was 1973 and my ex (we were dating at the time) and I went to see "Deep Throat" (in its original release). We were celebrating her 21st birthday (and thus she became "legal" to see the movie). The hype and media attention made it a particularly popular movie (and this was the first porn flick to gather that "acceptance") so the theater was packed. We were among the last ones to get into the particular showing (it was after work and we didn't want to wait around for the next showing) so we ended up sitting in the front row.... not a particularly good idea for a porn flick. Every pubic hair looked like a tree from where we were sitting.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 08:48 AM

Hey Ronnie, in June of '92, I took one of my Godsons to see BATMAN RETURNS and I remember it vividly. He was about 7 at the time. It didn't mean all that much to me because I was 33.

Small world.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 08:49 AM

I remembered a couple more tidbits.

When I was much younger, I learned through trial and error that certain movies were not what you would call "date flicks".

In the Spring of 1973 I took my date to a film I thought would be a little different than the usual run-of-the-mill Friday night crapola. I wanted to show her I had intelligence, class, all that crap. So, what film did we see? Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers. Big mistake. Zila (my date) spent nearly the entire film with her head buried in my shoulder, shuddering. Revolting film, IMHO. If you've ever had the misfortune to see it, then you know what the words "broken glass" refer to. Yeegh.

In mid-1976 I made another incredible error in judgement. I took Barbara, my girlfriend at the time, to the Oceana theatre in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn to see The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea because she liked Kris Kristofferson. Really big mistake. She also loved animals, particularly cats. Well, during a certain part of that film (I won't go into details) she bolted from her seat and ran hysterically crying into the lobby. Took me around fifteen minutes to calm her down.

I learned (the hard way) that Barbara was not someone you could take to just any movie - you had to be really careful. So a week or two later we went back to the Oceana to see The Groove Tube. A much safer film - or so I thought. When the huge close-up of the talking penis (real) appeared onscreen, Barbara shrieked and laughed and yelled out "I want to lick it!" in the crowded theatre. Mortified, I bolted from my seat and ran into the lobby. Sometimes, as the saying goes, you can dress 'em up but ya just can't take 'em out.

Live and learn.

Signor V.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
In mid-1976 I made another incredible error in judgement. I took Barbara, my girlfriend at the time, to the Oceana theatre in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn to see The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea because she liked Kris Kristofferson. Really big mistake. She also loved animals, particularly cats. Well, during a certain part of that film (I won't go into details) she bolted from her seat and ran hysterically crying into the lobby. Took me around fifteen minutes to calm her down.

Details needed. What happened??

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 09:12 AM

What happened??

Well, early on in the film there was a scene where a sadistic kid throws a firecracker (or something similar) into the air and it is caught by a seagull. Firecracker explodes, seagull buys the farm. But, the scene I was referring to was a protracted sequence where the youngsters drug, then dissect a cat in extreme close-up. It was not photographed at all like a splatter film or anything like that; it was all done "artistically" with almost microscopic close-ups, lots of slow dissolves and the like.

Of course, in the credits it was made clear that no critters were harmed during filming - but credits always come after the movie is over and the damage has been done.

It's been over thirty years since I've seen that film, but I'll never forget that day at the Oceana.

Signor V.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 09:21 AM

I'm sorry I asked. \:\(

I, too, have an "Oceana" memory.

1961... I was ten years old. My parents had a fight and my mom wanted to get out of the house so she took me to see a movie at The Oceana. It was "A Raisin in the Sun" (with Sidney Poitier in an absolutely awesome role). I may have been too young to fully grasp the story then but I remember being blown away by Poitier's acting. It was the first true dramatic movie that I sat through and the memory of seeing truly wonderful acting for the first time still stands fresh in my mind.

Getting some Mrs. Stahl's knishes on the way home was icing on the cake for me. \:\)

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 01:28 PM

Quote:
If you've ever had the misfortune to see [Cries and Whispers], then you know what the words "broken glass" refer to. Yeegh.
Haha, great story; it's an absolutely, spellbindingly good film, though. I'd love to see it on the big screen, with all those blacks, whites and stark red backgrounds. Astonishing... though not a "date" film. \:\)

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 01:39 PM

These days I select my screenings carefully. As a student, I have a lot of spare time on my hands, and when I can, I'll see a film during the week before noon. The last few times I was at a multiplex, I was one of less than five other guys (with the same idea as me) in the entire theatre... which is the way I like it, to be honest.

But there are, nevertheless, great memories with packed theatres. I think I've been to four sell-outs in my life: Titanic, on the second weekend after it opened in 1997, with my mother (we'd gone at opening weekend, but every showing was sold out, and we found out while we were still standing in the queue, about ten yards from the front desk). Star Wars Episode III I saw on the Friday it came out, and that was the most cramped screening ever, full of fans, of course; I remember before the film actually began, with the ushers and their torches guiding people to their seats (it's the only screening I've been to where you couldn't sit anywhere, the tickets were numbered), the sound of people munching popcorn, all the things I usually cringe at, but this time round, me and my three mates were really up for it. Borat was a sell-out, too, and I've honestly never laughed so hard - I was definitely the loudest in there (because I laugh at silly things nobody else does as well as the intended gags), and believe me, it was pretty riotous in there.

But the most unique sell-out I've been to was last Halloween, a 3D print (with glasses!!!!) of Jack Arnold's Creature from the Black Lagoon. It was sold-out, the theatre was full, and just before the film was about to begin, the cinema manager came on stage and thanked everyone for attending. Word for word, he said: "Now that we have all of your money, I can say that this is probably the worst film you're ever going to see." And you know what? It wasn't far off. So bad it's good? Not even that. The 3D glasses just gave me a headache (the print was awful, really).

That's sell-out screenings, for me. Definitely more to come on other memories...

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 01:41 PM

I believe there was a time when someone "lost their head" so to speak and it was rolling down a hill or something. I started yelling "Weeeeeeeeeeeeee", as if it were a ball rolling down a hill.

I looked this movie up online and it says it came out in 1968. Unless we went to a theatre that showed old movies I would have been 4 years old if we saw this on a first run movie. Seeing those kinds of scenes at that young age would explain a lot.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 01:41 PM

I looked this movie up online and it says it came out in 1968. Unless we went to a theatre that showed old movies I would have been 4 years old if we saw this on a first run movie. Seeing those kinds of scenes at that young age would explain a lot.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 10:30 PM

Every pubic hair looked like a tree from where we were sitting.

Anything else get, uh, "woody"? ;\)

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 11:10 PM

Anything else get, uh, "woody"?

It was at the old World Theater on 48th or 49th Street. Anything wood there would've made that place a firetrap.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/28/07 11:54 PM

Anything else get, uh, "woody"?

It was at the old World Theater on 48th or 49th Street. Anything wood there would've made that place a firetrap.

Hence the old expression "Can't see the forest for the trees!"

The World Theater? Ahhh, for the days of the "scratch palace" - the kind of place where your shoes stick to the floor and you leave the screening with your coat hanging off your lap!

Jeez, I'm gettin' all nostalgic here...

Signor V.

Edit: Top of the page! (But, for this??)

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/29/07 02:09 AM

I know this has been mentioned in the past, but to my peers, remember the 3D glasses? I think the movie was 13 Ghosts. What a novelty back then hu?

Another memorable moment for me from my childhood was when my Uncle Frank took my sister and I to see The Shaggy Dog. It was very very popular. I remember being a little scared when Tommy Kirk changed to the dog. It was in black and white if I recall.

TIS

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/29/07 02:22 AM

I know this has been mentioned in the past, but to my peers, remember the 3D glasses? I think the movie was 13 Ghosts. What a novelty back then hu?

I remember that .... the effect of 3D wasn't the greatest BUT it was still "special". Whenever the effect of something coming off the screen (and out towards the audience) took place us kids would start laughing hysterically.

Was that the movie that flashed a "warning" to put the glasses on just before a 3D scene was to take place??

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/29/07 02:28 AM

Yea, that's right! Was there writing on the screen or some signal to put them on?? If you wanted to see the ghosts you had to wear the glasses. Of course if you found it too scary you simply had to remove the glasses. Those glasses were made out of a cheap cardboard and didn't last long. Damn, sounds so ancient doesn't it?

TIS

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/29/07 04:07 AM

In 13 Ghosts (1960), the gimmick wasn't "pure" 3-D, but was as follows:

In the film, the (deceased) character of Dr. Zorba had invented special glasses that allowed the wearer to view the apparitions. Whenever a character in the film put on the glasses, that was the signal for the audience to put on theirs. If you didn't wear your glasses, the onscreen ghosts were not visible.

All prints shown on TV or released to home video have been reprocessed to eliminate the need for the special glasses.

Pity.

Signor V.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 07/29/07 07:14 PM

Yea, that's right! Was there writing on the screen or some signal to put them on?? If you wanted to see the ghosts you had to wear the glasses. Of course if you found it too scary you simply had to remove the glasses. Those glasses were made out of a cheap cardboard and didn't last long. Damn, sounds so ancient doesn't it?

TIS

My folks took me to see "Bwana Devil," the first 3D movie, at the Loew's Pitkin in Brooklyn in '53. The Pitkin was the high-end movie palace in our neighborhood (Brownsville), and so you got 3D glasses with plastic frames. The "nabes" gave you glasses with cardboard frames. "Bwana Devil" was preceded by a trailer featuring an opthalmologist who assured the audience that viewing the movie in 3D wouldn't harm eyes.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/03/07 07:01 PM

Okay: the first film I saw at the cinema was My Girl, in 1991, which means I would have been four-years-old; didn't know I could remember that far back! As far as the power of (C)inema goes as both a medium and as a place to watch it, I cried at the end of the film; telling, perhaps, of the medium's grip on me ever since. I remember wondering at the time what all those marks were (it was, in retrospect, a really grubby print), and being especially interested in the black mark which appeared in the corner every now and again (reel-change!). My mother took me, as she always did back in those days: we also saw Home Alone 2 (1992), The Jungle Book (1967) re-release back in 1993, Jurassic Park (1993) and The Lion King (1995), among others; all vivid memories of all good films.

Back in those days, too, when our home football team played at home, they used to broadcast it live at the cinema, which was a fantastic idea, I think - the cinema used to be completely full of football fans who watched it live on the big screen with full Dolby. Imagine!

As years passed, and I hit adolescence, very much on the fringes of falling obsessively in love with the medium, I went to the cinema with my dad to see Gladiator (2000), and it blew me away. I remember the scene which mimicks the Battle of Carthage, when Maximus leads an enemy horse and carriage into a trap, and the whole thing goes crashing through one of the Collisseum entry doors, towards the camera (and audience), and both me and my dad clapped. Not an uproarious clap, but one single clap of the hands, in appreciation of the entire thing.

A lot of my best big screen memories, which will stay with me for a long time I'm sure, have come from my local arthouse, which I discovered in 2003. I had always known it was there, but my only knowledge of it prior to that was that it had once had a "Blue Movie" festival when I was very young, and my mother thought it was disgusting! The first three films I saw on the big screen there were Amores perros (2000) (a re-run in conjunction with 21 Grams' release at the time), Infernal Affairs (2002) and Zatoichi (2003), all of which got me hooked onto wanting to see every film they ever showed there.

And even if now I will admit not every film an arthouse books in is a masterpiece, it is because of that place that I've seen Nosferatu (1922) with a live DJ score, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919) and Metropolis (1926) with a live piano accompaniment! The latter was especially unforgettable, as you can imagine. I also first saw Stalker there as well as re-watches of Taxi Driver (1976), Mean Streets (1973) and Manhattan (1979). I regret that last year when they showed Don't Look Now (1973), I couldn't make it, nor could I make it this year when they showed probably my favourite film, Eraserhead (1976).

Two Novembers ago they had the Northern Lights Film Festival, a week-long schedule of north European films, many of which were obscure at the time and a lot of which are still waiting wide theatrical releases. I think I probably saw more films at that festival than anybody else (all shown bar three, I think); I bought a week-long pass and stayed in the vicinity morning till night, seeing about four or five films a day...

I saw several overlooked masterpieces there, and won't ever forget the context in which I first saw them: a midnight screening (with free bottle of beer!) of Bleeder (1999), a violent, self-reflexive film self-consciously reminiscent of Mean Streets; The Wedding (2004), a frantic and surreal Polish comedy; King's Game (2004), a Danish political thriller full of wonderful, sombre cinematography and all the momentum of All the President's Men; The West Wittering Affair (2004), a humble, inventive British comedy which just got a limited release this year; and, as well as those new gems (plus some rotten stinkers, too!), I caught at the same festival a trio of Garbo vehicles, namely Mata Hari (1931), Queen Christina (1933) and Anna Karenina (1935), plus one reel from a lost and forgotten silent production of Petter the Tramp (1922) which she starred in before signing for MGM.

On a very personal side note, that same festival's Closing Gala was A Cock and Bull Story (2005), preceding which was a public showing of the second short film I made, an adaptation of The Little Match Girl. A very powerful and rewarding experience, to say the least.

Enough of boastful day-long stints at the theatre catching this obscure film and that obscure film, though; there are a few other individual experiences which I had the pleasure (at the time) to share with a girl I was once in love with.

She lived in a hard-to-get-to place, and so we never kicked it off as I would have liked, but we met up once a week to catch a film and then chill out afterwards somewhere and talk, with me trying to seduce her beyond "friendship" and to try and stop her from entering a relationship with someone I didn't particular like (a bully, no less, who she's actually still with).

We went to see Signs back in 2002, and I embarrassingly (as far as the convention of dates goes) jumped twice - and both times she didn't; once early on, when a dog barks loudly and breaks silence, and late on when you see an alien walking past obstacles on somebody's home video.

I got my own back, though, in 2004 (when we rekindled a close friendship after long bouts of hiatus), when we went to see The Descent and Wolf Creek more or less within a week of each other. During the first, there were a few moments early on where I made the mistake of offering my hand (which had been requested), a mistake because I had nail marks on my knuckles for weeks after. And I don't think she even saw the latter, because for half of it she was hiding behind her own hands - which this time round I refused to hold!
Posted By: olivant

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/03/07 07:20 PM

I went to the Warner Theater in downtown Pittsburgh with my mother when I was about 13 or so to see the Ten Commandments. During the showing I got sick and by the time we got home I was having convulsions. The convulsions lasted a couple of days. They never did figure out what caused them, but they did diagnose me with mono. Of course, whenever I watch the Ten Commandments the memories come flooding back. It's not a pleasant experience except that that movie is so outstanding that I end up adjusting to it.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/03/07 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Of course, whenever I watch the Ten Commandments the memories come flooding back.

Much like the Red Sea did on the Egyptians, huh??

I have a "Ten Commandments" memory, too. When the movie first came out to the neighborhood theaters you needed to make reservations to see it (I think Turnbull mentioned this already) and the theaters did not accept any coupons (money off ticket prices offers) so I didn't get to see it in its original release (besides I was too young, anyway). Every two years after that they'd "re-release" the movie so it was then that my mother figured she'd take me to see it.

Now, the Century Theaters chain (a chain of about 25 movie houses in the boroughs of New York) had a birthday plan for kiddies... if it was your birthday you got in for free. Being that the movie was being shown around Easter/Passover and being that my birthday is that time it was a natural for my mom to want to save a dollar or two.

We went to our local Century theater only to find that they weren't honoring the "Ten Commandments" in on their birthday special offer. My mom went ballistic and the ticket taker had to call the theater manager out to calm her down. My mom used to live for confrontations like this so it was just a matter of time before she had the manager quivering like a bowl of jelly.

We got in (I for free) and the soon memory of Moses parting the Red Sea took second place to the memory of my mom brow beating the theater manager.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/03/07 09:51 PM

We went to our local Century theater only to find that they weren't honoring the "Ten Commandments" in on their birthday special offer. My mom went ballistic and the ticket taker had to call the theater manager out to calm her down. My mom used to live for confrontations like this so it was just a matter of time before she had the manager quivering like a bowl of jelly.

Maybe Sylvester Stallone should have cast her in his movie, "Stop! Or my mom will shoot".

You go ma!!!

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/03/07 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Of course, whenever I watch the Ten Commandments the memories come flooding back.

Much like the Red Sea did on the Egyptians, huh??

I have a "Ten Commandments" memory, too. When the movie first came out to the neighborhood theaters you needed to make reservations to see it (I think Turnbull mentioned this already) and the theaters did not accept any coupons (money off ticket prices offers) so I didn't get to see it in its original release (besides I was too young, anyway). Every two years after that they'd "re-release" the movie so it was then that my mother figured she'd take me to see it.

Now, the Century Theaters chain (a chain of about 25 movie houses in the boroughs of New York) had a birthday plan for kiddies... if it was your birthday you got in for free. Being that the movie was being shown around Easter/Passover and being that my birthday is that time it was a natural for my mom to want to save a dollar or two.

We got in (I for free) and the soon memory of Moses parting the Red Sea took second place to the memory of my mom brow beating the theater manager.

I had forgotten about those reservations. That's true. You know how Christians made arrangements to attend the Passion of the Christ. Well, that's the way it was at least among Catholics for the Ten Commandments. The nuns took several classes at a time to see it. Do you remember the program they published? It was several pages long. They also did that for Ben-Hur. How things have changed.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/04/07 12:25 AM

I could probably fill up the entire page with a movie post. There are so many memories:

- as a youngster at the drive-in with my parents to see "Creature of the Black Lagoon". I probably saw 10 minutes of it.

- The Central Theater in Pearl River, NY - every Elvis movie that came out. Then my favorite "The Blob" with Steve McQueen and ever B grade horror movies of the late 50's early 60's.

- Teen years: - again at the Central Theater: "West Side Story" I wasn't a musical fan (like SB), but this one was cool.

- Any movie that you could put your arm around your girlfriend and then sneak a kiss.

- first date with my now wife of 36 years - "A Man and A Woman", how appropos.

- "The Endless Summer" - as a Jersey shore surfer, this was the epitome of life.

- "The Graduate" - went with my girlfriend (now wife) to Manhattan. Somewhere around 59th and 3rd Ave. Became a Simon and Garfunkel and Dustin Hoffman fan after that movie.

- "Night of the Living Dead" - went to drive-in for a night of "kissing". Wound up mesmerized by the zombies, never kissed.

- "Easy Rider" - again in Manhattan. Blew me away.

- "Jaws" - wouldn't go in the ocean (freaky for a surfer).

- "The Godfather" say no more.

- "Gone with the Wind". Saw it in the late 60's. Had to buy advance tickets. Didn't really impress me.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/04/07 12:56 AM

Gone with the Wind didn't impress you? Madonne! It was the Godfather of its time. It's one of my list of top ten movies.

Two of the worst movies my Dad ever took us to see at the drive-in: Boy on a Dolphin and Rains of Ranchipur. One of the best: Heaven Knows Mr. Allison with Robert Mitchum

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/04/07 02:17 AM

MC, The Central Theater in Pearl River - is that the one that is now a Commerce Bank?? We loved going to the movies in Pearl River, and afterwards enjoying a drink at Sheeran's, right across from the firehouse. The Palisades Mall, with it's Megaplex, put an end to that.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/04/07 03:49 AM

My mom used to live for confrontations like this so it was just a matter of time before she had the manager quivering like a bowl of jelly.

I think we must be related!

So let it be written; so let it be done.

Signor V.

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/04/07 04:34 PM

Oh, I caught Capra's Forbidden (1932) last October at the NFT, London Film Festival... first and thus far only time I've been to that city, and I couldn't believe how "dedicated" or "hardcore" the theatre was to the respect of the medium. Not only were the seats amazingly comfortable (I fell asleep at one point!), but I just knew that everyone there was there to see the film... not a bag of popcorn in site! Very refreshing, but most refreshing was the sound not ten seconds in - the film had started, the credits were still rolling (as they do in old films from those days), and people were just finishing off their sentences with slight whispers, and this elderly woman in the row behind me almost threw a fit when she spat out ssshhhhhh to whomever was still talking. I was like, "Whao, I'm against talking in films, but Christ, give the guy a break."
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/04/07 09:04 PM

MC, The Central Theater in Pearl River - is that the one that is now a Commerce Bank?? We loved going to the movies in Pearl River, and afterwards enjoying a drink at Sheeran's, right across from the firehouse. The Palisades Mall, with it's Megaplex, put an end to that.

Little Pearl River had two movie theaters; one on Central Ave a block from Main St (geez I grew up there and can't think of the cross street). It became the Pearl River Theater when the new Central Theater was built on the corner of John St, which might now be the Commerce Bank? The original Central Theater had a balcony that you could smoke in, which I tried as a teen (yech!) I spent lots of money and had lots of dates in both of those theaters. \:\)

Re: Memorable visits to the cinema - 08/05/07 01:00 AM

Yes, I'm thinking of the one on the corner of John Street, near the ski store that looked like it was in an old church. The other theater is still there, although closed. There have been some battles over it, including one from a developer who said he would give it to the town for $1 in exchange for a change in zoning on another property he owned. Luckily, the town turned him down.

I believe that the last movie we saw there was Lethal Weapon 3. We tried to see it at the mall, but it was sold out until Midnight. We drove to Pearl River, and walked right in. Not only that, but we were two of only five people in the theater. It closed not long after that.

It was the end of an era. The only remaining downtown old-style movie is the Lafayette.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET