Home

Cigars

Posted By: Don Smitty

Cigars - 02/24/05 05:55 AM

I want to start smoking cigars but do not know that much about them. Anybody here have a favorite type of cigar and how much does a decent cigar cost?
Posted By: Lauren8

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 05:58 AM

Don't smoke cigars!! They are bad for your health

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 06:01 AM

In the world today, what is good for your health?
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Smitty:
In the world today, what is good for your health?
Omega-3 fatty acids... garlic... fruits and veggies... grape seed extract... fiber... whole grains... oatmeal... and Stoli. :p
Posted By: Blake

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 06:39 AM

Wow, you're actually on a mission to start smoking cigars?

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 06:48 AM

Some people must ignore the Surgeon General. I do, too, but... I'd never START at this point!!

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 06:59 AM

I can understand people falling into the habit from being around friends or pople that do it alot.
Posted By: Lauren8

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 07:04 AM

And once you start smoking and you're around others that do, it's soooo hard not to!

Cool avatar Blake
Posted By: SC

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Smitty:
[b] In the world today, what is good for your health?
Stoli. [/b][/quote]Take it from Geoff .... he is very healthy.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 11:06 AM

Don Smitty, how old are you?

Been watching too much of Duck Soup (1933), perhaps?

Mick
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 11:35 AM

Everyone knows smoking is cool.

You live in New Jersey, Smitty, don't you think your lungs are damaged enough?
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 04:51 PM

As no one as answered your question

Try Hamlet There a nice smoke
Posted By: DonFerro55

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 04:53 PM

I love cigars. Though nowadays I stick to my pipe with its amazing blends of tobbacco's, it is slightly better than a cigar. But it is very high matainence.

I would suggest Cohiba's or Montecristos. You will only be able to get the Domincan brands, not as good as the Cubans, unless you get across the border to Canada (or Mexico). Some other good brands are Macanudo (Tony Sopranos Fav :p ) and other Cuban blends. I stopped smoking cigars for a while now because of their price. A good cigar can run you 4-10 each. NEVER buy from a covienence store. Always go to a good tobbacconist. I wish I could afford them but its an expensive habit. The tobbacconist down my steet has an ounce of pipe tobbacco for only 2.99, which lasts me a good 2 weeks.

Enjoy, but dont do it often. I used to really enjoy it, but stopped now and will only do it when I, A) Have lots of extra cash, B) Celebrations.

They are much less harmful than cancer sticks (Cigs), but not to be done irresposibly.(as if you could do them responsibly )

Bottom Line is: Dont go nuts, if it becomes a life long habit, it WILL kill you.

The Doc
Posted By: Cancerkitty

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 05:06 PM

You might want to check out http://www.cigar.com for more information. They also sell sample packs of four or five different kinds so that you can discover what you like.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:

They are much less harmful than cancer sticks (Cigs)
I am a non smoker, so I dont know much about this stuff. But I would imagine that cigarettes have a filter and hence would be less harmful

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 05:32 PM

SVSG - Yes, but good cigars are made entirely out of tobacco, whereas cigarettes are filled with all sorts of nasty chemicals.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 05:34 PM

Makes sense. Thanks CK

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren8:

Cool avatar Blake
Thank you! :p
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 08:01 PM

I smoke cigars occasionally. Only at parties or when I am playing cards though. Im not sure how old you are, but I am guessing that you are in the 17, 18, 19 range like myself. I have tried cubans and the other good brands, and yes they are very good, but they are very expensive. If you have the oppurtunity, then go for it, but if your looking for a cheap "gas station" cigar, go with optimos. Very smooth and much better tasting than others in its genre such as Phillies.

I have sort of a sub question myself for the more experinced smokers:
I am going to the Dominican Republic next month, and I plan on buying many of their famous cigars. But can I legally take them back to the states with me?

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 08:11 PM

Dominican Republic is fine. You can get whatever you want. I've been to the Dominican Republic, Peurto Rico, Key Islands, Haiti (Same as DR, just other side of Island) and some other Carribian spots. I hope to return there in my late 20's or 30's to do some world travel and writing.

As for cigars, you can get them from Cuba too, but only 2 cases.(Usually hold 25 cigars) I think the rest of the islands are ok. Cigars are not the top at their list of worries, though, if you do bring back a bag of "white powder" they might detain you for longer :p . Have fun!

The Doc
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 09:08 PM

Two things, both off-topic (bastard thing to do, I know; sorry).

One: If cigars are all tobacco and no nasty chemicals, would I be right to assume they aren't addictive?

Two: Don Ferro, by some manic coincidence today in art class, I noticed a book titled "Gonzo - The Art", full of crazily sketched cartoon faces and whatnot. Foreword by Hunter S. Thompson; didn't read it as I noticed it on my way out, but will read it when I next get the chance. Anyway, without further ado, are you familiar with this art form?

Mick

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 09:17 PM

Maybe I will pick up a few Montecristos. Ive heard nothing but good things about them.
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: Cigars - 02/24/05 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
Very smooth and much better tasting than others in its genre such as Phillies.
I occasionally buy Strawberry Phillies from 7-11 and smoke them with my friends, but we're not smoking tobacco.

KRAMER: Jerry, once you've had real Cubans, there's just nothing else like
it.

JERRY: We're talking about people, right?

KRAMER: Yes, yes. The quality, the texture, the intoxicating aroma. These
guys don't have it.

JERRY: I thought they smelled pretty nice.

Re: Cigars - 02/25/05 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Freddie C.:
[quote]Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
[b]Very smooth and much better tasting than others in its genre such as Phillies.
I occasionally buy Strawberry Phillies from 7-11 and smoke them with my friends, but we're not smoking tobacco.

KRAMER: Jerry, once you've had real Cubans, there's just nothing else like
it.

JERRY: We're talking about people, right?

KRAMER: Yes, yes. The quality, the texture, the intoxicating aroma. These
guys don't have it.

JERRY: I thought they smelled pretty nice. [/b][/quote]

I conquer, but that is the only thing they are good for.

Re: Cigars - 02/25/05 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
One: If cigars are all tobacco and no nasty chemicals, would I be right to assume they aren't addictive?
Mick - I belive cigars are still adictive because I think nicotine is a naturally occuring chemical in tobacco. Cigarettes just have extra in them. Or at least that was my understanding.

Re: Cigars - 02/25/05 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:

Two: Don Ferro, by some manic coincidence today in art class, I noticed a book titled "Gonzo - The Art", full of crazily sketched cartoon faces and whatnot. Foreword by Hunter S. Thompson; didn't read it as I noticed it on my way out, but will read it when I next get the chance. Anyway, without further ado, are you familiar with this art form?

Mick
I love this book. Gonzo art is drawn for Thompson's work by his good friend Ralph Steadman. Steadman is a god with a brush. Gonzo is my favorite art form, and though after reading the into (did you?) by Thompson, you might think they are not good friends, trust me, that was just the way he did things and talked about people. (I can't belive I'm using him in past tense ) but yes, if this book was not 50 dollars or I had money, you could bet it would be sitting on my coffee table, but alas, both are true. I hope you enjoy Steadman as much as I do, he was very saddened to hear of Thompson's death but not surprised. Heres a link to a good story about Hunter's death from Ralph's view.
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/features/story.jsp?story=613513

Enjoy,

The Doc

Re: Cigars - 02/25/05 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cancerkitty:
[quote]Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[b]One: If cigars are all tobacco and no nasty chemicals, would I be right to assume they aren't addictive?
Mick - I belive cigars are still adictive because I think nicotine is a naturally occuring chemical in tobacco. Cigarettes just have extra in them. Or at least that was my understanding. [/b][/quote]Through my understanding and experience, I dont think that cigars are the least bit physically addictive.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Cigars - 02/25/05 05:49 AM

Smoking anything is bad for you, and shouldn't be condoned. :rolleyes: But hey, its your life.
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Cigars - 02/25/05 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
Everyone knows smoking is cool.

You live in New Jersey, Smitty, don't you think your lungs are damaged enough?
hey :cough cough: what's that :cough: supposed to :cough: mean?

Re: Cigars - 02/25/05 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
I dont think that cigars are the least bit physically addictive.

Re: Cigars - 03/03/05 04:05 AM

Does anyone here know how to treat a humidor? Mine's at about 50% right now, and consequently all my cigars are dried out and gross. I read something somewhere about rubbing it down with some kind of water, but I can't seem to find it now.
Posted By: Partagas

Re: Cigars - 09/09/07 03:11 PM

Wow -- I was just cruising the "Food & Drink" section and just saw this topic on cigars -- my favorite of the many vices I posses!

Anyway, one of the stroke survivors at the American Stroke Foundation was a cigar rep previously to his stroke. Ironically (I guess) he did not smoke cigars (or cigarettes for that matter).

Anyway he still has connections at gerneral cigar and just yesterday at a fundraising event brought me a present -- a box of Partagas Series S Preferido and the new Xikar Cutter!

I could not wait until after the event was over so we could go smoke one at my fav scotch bar! I was in heaven
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Cigars - 09/09/07 06:42 PM

I don't smoke, but I have smoked these...

The outsides taste good to lick the cognac.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Cigars - 09/10/07 01:57 AM

How the fock does cigar smoking fit into a Food and Drink thread?

Re: Cigars - 09/10/07 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Longneck

The last time I "quit" smoking cigarettes I ended up replacing them (well, replacing the Nicorette \:\/ ) with those -- I don't particularly like cigars, but those are sweet! (literally ;\) ) My problem was... I inhaled them anyway, so that didn't work....

Re: Cigars - 09/10/07 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
How the fock does cigar smoking fit into a Food and Drink thread?

Well, I originally envisioned it as a "fine dining / single malt scotch / cigar" type thing, but obviously it turned into a can of peas on a Ritz cracker -- which is fine, too!
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Cigars - 09/10/07 11:38 AM

Can o peas my ass!

Where's da peppas and sauseeege!?
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Cigars - 09/10/07 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Can o peas my ass!

Where's da peppas and sauseeege!?

Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Cigars - 09/20/07 07:28 PM

I've had the Capones before, but I've had rum flavored, and they were damn good. Expensive though, but they were nice and small for work. Could go out, enjoy one in between shows, go back inside and getting ready for the next set of movies. I've smoked my fair share of cigars, and despite their alleged addictiveness, I don't feel the need to have them. Sometimes I think, "damn, a cigar would be nice right now", but my body doesn't shut down without them or anything.
Posted By: Frosty

Re: Cigars - 12/22/11 11:24 PM

Had to go back a few years lol. But a good cigar and yes smoking is out for most all anymore. I started back in the 50's and if you watch any old movies or tv shows. It was cool and the thing to do with mostly cigarette's . I smoked Lucky's , Camel's, Pal Mal for years. Old Gold in High School, Winston taste good like a cigarette should. Have one behind your ear , hair slicked back riding you Harley ! Oh well it is what it is , lot of your parents or realative's , sucking O2 .

Getting to the cut of the chase. I have quit, cigs., pipes I once owned a 5,000.00 if not more collection. So when SC, stated he cleaned,polished them yepper skipper, a beautiful pipe that is worth 500.00 a pop , (sweet) and smell good . Oh yeah !

Cigars, now I still love. But only certain times. Special times when you just want to relax. But it is not a cheap one. $15.00- $20.00 will get you a nice mild smoke that you do not inhale but set and do what you enjoy ! 1 every few days , week, month.

It is up to you. I am not saying this is cool , nice, and where can you relax and smoke it ? Now days thar are smoke shops for men. Which maybe at times I go to . Other times my home. Or out on the deck, on a boat in the summer.

Re: Cigars - 12/26/11 08:42 PM

A Christmas Present. Victor Sinclair (Bohemian) Hand built in Dom.Rep. . clap Outstanding mild, good smell cigar !

Re: Cigars - 12/30/11 09:23 PM

I am havin a fine one now ! Cigar cool the thing is so damm heavy ya got a have a good bight on it lol either that or ya drop it along with your dentures . It is nice.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET