Home

The impact of the potato on Irish history

Posted By: getthesenets

The impact of the potato on Irish history - 08/30/15 01:01 AM

This is one episode of the Irish History podcast by Fin Dwyer. Description and link to audio (about 23 minutes.)

Friend or Foe: The Impact of the potato on Irish history

The potato is synonymous with the biggest disaster in Irish history – the Great Famine of the 1840s when nearly one million people died and another million emigrated. However this is only part of the story of the potato in Irish history. The arrival of the potato in Ireland transformed the island and resulted in changes in how people lived their lives and what the landscape looked like. It even led to changes in the peoples' appearance. In the podcast I examine the good, the bad and the ugly of the potato's fascinating and checkered relationship with Ireland and Irish history.

http://podbay.fm/show/363368392/e/1395744230?autostart=1
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: The impact of the potato on Irish history - 08/30/15 12:26 PM

It wasn't so much a famine as a genocide.
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: The impact of the potato on Irish history - 08/30/15 02:37 PM

@Moe,

What do you think of episode in general? Do you tend to agree with his points about the impact of the potato?

I've read about the famine/genocide, what was done and what wasn't done about it.

When Tony Blair issued the apology, it made it harder for journalists/historians to label those who called it genocide "conspiracy theorists". Was surprised that the podcast didn't mention the apology.

I don't know if I'm really qualified to give an informed opinion on such a serious topic. There are events in world history which parallel what happened in Ireland then.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET