Home

Favorite Frozen Pizza

Posted By: Mikey_Sunset

Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/24/14 01:43 AM

I'm a fan of Neapolitan, thin crust style pizza. Not necessarily a crispy cracker crust but a good foundation for sauce, cheese and some pepperoni, sausage and mushrooms. That's my favorite combo. However, ordering a pie and waiting for up to an hour isn't always what I want to do especially after working all day - I'd like something I can just pop in the oven and by the time I'm finished with my scotch it's ready. Plus the best pizza places in San Francisco don't deliver or not out to my neighborhood as I'm by the beach. What I've been enjoying lately are either California Pizza kitchen Sicilian Style or Red Baron Pepperoni and sausage.Often I use the frozen pie as a base and add ingredients if I have time. I usually chop some mushrooms and also add fresh garlic and oregano then sprinkle a little olive oil. If I have it on hand some additional mozzarella, pecorino or other cheese helps and if I have some left over home made meatballs or sausage with peppers and onions I throw those on as well. There are so many different pizzas in the grocery freezer I don't have time to try them all but maybe I'm missing the best.
Tell me what's your favorite frozen pizza? Which crust do recommend, which toppings and what do you do, if anything, to customize your pie in a reasonable amount of time?
Posted By: olivant

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/24/14 02:32 AM

How can anyone have a favorite frozen pizza? That's like asking what's your favorite operation.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/24/14 06:58 AM

Personally my favorite operation is breast enlargement!
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/24/14 02:05 PM

No frozen pizza can compare to freshly made. I understand what you are saying about the wait or the drive, but sometimes it's worth it. While we haven't done it yet, we are talking about getting fresh pizza , cutting it up and freezing it to use when a rush. Anyone here do this ??? Any tips??
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/24/14 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikey_Sunset
I'm a fan of Neapolitan, thin crust style pizza. Not necessarily a crispy cracker crust but a good foundation for sauce, cheese and some pepperoni, sausage and mushrooms. That's my favorite combo.

Freschetta might be pretty good for your purpose:

https://www.freschetta.com/brick-oven-pizza.htm

I usually just get the pepperoni or cheese, but the ingredients generally seem pretty good.

For a buck or two more there's Newman's Own:

http://www.newmansown.com/pizza/
Posted By: ChiSox74

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/25/14 02:57 AM

My favorite frozen pizza is Home Run. The crust has so much butter the breast enlargement takes care of itself
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/25/14 04:09 PM

Our local supermarket brand is pretty good as far as frozen pizza goes. But if I'm making a pizza at home it's just about as easy to make it. I use a pizza crust from a bakery that's sold in our store, use a can of Dom Pepino sauce, to which I add a little sugar, some pepper and parmesan cheese and there is a huge variety of shredded cheeses on the market.

Sometimes we'll make the dough, but I usually don't have the time or interest to do that.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/25/14 04:51 PM

If I buy frozen, I get the Palermo brand from Costco. It's very good. The only problem is that you have to buy four, and I often don't have room in the freezer.

As for making my own, I don't bother with pizza dough any more. I use Boboli and my husband cooks them on the grill. Tastes amazingly like brick oven from a good pizzeria!

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/25/14 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

As for making my own, I don't bother with pizza dough any more. I use Boboli and my husband cooks them on the grill. Tastes amazingly like brick oven from a good pizzeria!

That's how I do it: Boboli. However, all of the ingredients I cut up and cook myself. I had my grandkids helping me since they were little. Thy loved it.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/25/14 07:22 PM

Does anyone remember the old Celentano frozen pizzas in the aluminum trays?

They weren't too bad if you drizzled a little olive oil and sprinkled some good grated cheese on them. But I doubt they even make them anymore (packed in the aluminum trays, I mean).
Posted By: spmob

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/25/14 08:18 PM

Pizza...when I was a young kid I was a very picky eater. My mom bought these for me. I would always throw some extra cheese on top. And a little olive oil never hurts a thing! smile

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/25/14 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: spmob
Pizza...when I was a young kid I was a very picky eater. My mom bought these for me. I would always throw some extra cheese on top. And a little olive oil never hurts a thing! smile

Small world, Spmob. Small world smile.
Posted By: ChiSox74

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/25/14 08:39 PM

I do the same thing. My favorite recipe is to make some shrimp scampi in a pan and then put on top of a Boboli crust and then add about a quarter cup of ricotta and maybe half a cup of mozarella ( so the cheese is light) and then grill it and sprinkle chopped parsley and red pepper flakes over it
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/26/14 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

They weren't too bad if you drizzled a little olive oil and sprinkled some good grated cheese on them. But I doubt they even make them anymore (packed in the aluminum trays, I mean).

Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 02/28/14 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: ChiSox74
I do the same thing. My favorite recipe is to make some shrimp scampi in a pan and then put on top of a Boboli crust and then add about a quarter cup of ricotta and maybe half a cup of mozarella ( so the cheese is light) and then grill it and sprinkle chopped parsley and red pepper flakes over it

Chi...I think you are on to something there.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/01/14 08:12 AM

Ellios!

NOT.

Fucking disgusting. Reminds me of grade school lunch.

1. Fresh take-out is best, of course. Even in NY tongue
2. DIY Boboli is damn good, if you know how to combine ingredients.
3. If it has to be frozen, then it has to be DiGiorno (never had many other brands, tho - no reason to try them ;))
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/02/14 01:49 AM

PB, I think you're right - since everything frozen nowadays is made to be nuked back into edibility, I think the aluminum tray has gone the way of the dinosaur. Can't remember the last time I saw one, at least as far as the frozen items I regularly buy (frozen pizza not being one of them, though).

Signor V.
Posted By: StLguy

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/02/14 01:57 AM

"3. If it has to be frozen, then it has to be DiGiorno"

Are you sure that it wasn't delivery?

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/02/14 07:52 PM

One of the things to keep in mind about frozen pizza is the recent report that certain bread based foods contain a substance that is also a component of flip-flops.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/03/14 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
One of the things to keep in mind about frozen pizza is the recent report that certain bread based foods contain a substance that is also a component of flip-flops.

That must be why it gives one the "runs."

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/03/14 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

PB, I think you're right - since everything frozen nowadays is made to be nuked back into edibility, I think the aluminum tray has gone the way of the dinosaur. Can't remember the last time I saw one, at least as far as the frozen items I regularly buy (frozen pizza not being one of them, though).

Signor V.

That's what I was thinking, SV. Plus, most of these packaging companies today are very aware of what's good for the environment and whatnot. Either way. I haven't seen those Celentano pizzas in the metallic trays for at least twenty years.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/03/14 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1

That must be why it gives one the "runs."

Clever ... even for a lawyer.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/04/14 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Ellios!

NOT.

lol YOU ARE SO RIGHT! lol

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/04/14 04:10 PM

In the 70s Elio's used to be one of the only frozen pizzas on the national market. In the early to mid-70s there was a product called "Roman Pizza." There were several small, maybe 6 inch pizzas in the box, which had a gladiator, I think, on the box. The pizza wasn't too good as I remember.

Elio's isn't good, and it's still sold. It was one of the early frozen pizzas, and I used to get it when I was in law school when it went on sale.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/04/14 05:55 PM

Not a big fan of frozen pizza but they do come in useful for the kids at times. The main 2 brands over here are Chicago Town and Goodfellas. Original names or what?? lol
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/05/14 02:47 AM

My daughter keeps her dorm room freezer stocked full of Ellios and/or Celentano for One. The whole reason she likes Ellios? She wouldn't be able to eat a whole frozen pizza, and this way she can just heat up a square at a time.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/05/14 07:25 PM

The only kind I really can tolerate is the Stouffer's French bread.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/06/14 10:06 PM

No such thing as good frozen pizza
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/08/14 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
No such thing as good frozen pizza

Its responses like this that seperate the regular italians and the SUPER ITALIANS

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/09/14 06:10 AM

Thanks for the replies so far! Well most of 'em anyway.

goombah - I enjoy French bread pizzas but I go with Red Baron. They've got one with sausage, pepperoni and peppers that is pretty good. I also like the microwave trays that keep the bread crunchy.

Sicilian Babe - Is the "Celentano for One" anything like "Celeste Pizza for One" ? I'm wondering if this is one of those situations where brands change their names depending on the region IE: Hellmans & Best Food or Carls JR & Hardees?

I'm going to try a few of the suggestions if I can find the brands here and if they have a thin crust style available. I really don't like thick doughy crusts - I call it "mall pizza" AKA Sbarro or others in the food court.

I'm also interested in hearing about any regional specialties/combinations that might not come to mind when one thinks of pizza. For example, in San Francisco there was a Chinese restaurant in the Mission District that had a "pizza" on the menu. A good friend who lived in the area always talked about it and one night after drinking we ended up ordering one. It was excellent! It was a pizza but the toppings and sauce were those that could be found in Mongolian Beef plus they threw some prawns on so it was surf & turf. If I remember correctly they used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella which went well with the spicy beef.

Anyway thanks again for the ideas ...
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/11/14 02:56 AM

Elio's isn't good, and it's still sold. It was one of the early frozen pizzas, and I used to get it when I was in law school when it went on sale.

Well, if there was ever a pizza that could use a good criminal defense attorney... lol

Signor V.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/11/14 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Well, if there was ever a pizza that could use a good criminal defense attorney... lol

Signor V.

I could try some half-baked defense, but any defense of Elio's would be cheesy.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/11/14 09:59 PM

Frozen Pizza almost sounds like an oxymoron. I can only imagine eskimos eating frozen pizza.
Posted By: SgWaue86

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/14/14 03:46 AM

Has anybody from the Chi had connie's frozen pizzas. They are decent and cheap too if you get the deal 4 for 12.
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/17/14 11:57 PM

homerun inn or freshchetta
Posted By: MikeyO

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/18/14 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: cookcounty
homerun inn or freshchetta

Freshchetta Brickoven is aite. Shit be thin n square all cheesy and shit

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/19/14 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
My daughter keeps her dorm room freezer stocked full of Ellios and/or Celentano for One. The whole reason she likes Ellios? She wouldn't be able to eat a whole frozen pizza, and this way she can just heat up a square at a time.

What a coincidence I use to do that in college as well but it served it's purpose and sure saved me a few bucks which I spent on more pizza at 3 in the morning smile

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/28/14 06:57 PM

From MSN:

"As far as pizza toppings go, there's one ingredient that no one likes to see on their pie—and no, we're not talking about anchovies. We're referring to phthalates [PLASTIC!]. Researchers from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston recently examined 72 supermarket staples and discovered traces of the chemical in several groceries, including prepackaged pizza, meats and beverages. While the levels of the toxins still fall under what the Environmental Protection Agency considers safe, scientists are alarmed that this toxic compound is making its way into our diet at all. How did these chemicals leech into our dinner in the first place? Lead investigator, Arnold Schecter, MD, believes plastic packaging could be the culprit."

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 04/01/14 08:42 AM

Posted By: NNY78

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 04/02/14 04:33 PM

How about this pie lol

Vancouver, British Columbia - A pizzeria in Vancouver has a topping you can only get with a prescription: marijuana.

The pizzeria, Mega Ill, bakes a pizza that can get you high. For an extra $10, they infuse the food with THC. The people who run Mega Ill say they only serve up slices to people who are over the age of 18 and have a prescription for medical marijuana.

Anthony Risling of Mega Ill had this to say, "Basically, we infuse it through an oil-extraction process. We drizzle the oil onto the pizza and it medicates you when you eat it. It's a little different from smoking it. It takes about a half hour for it to activate."

New regulations that go into effect on April first could force the pizzeria to stop making pies with marijuana.

Final approval is currently in legal limbo, but if the outcome of the case does ban marijuana-infused pizza, the owner of Mega Ill plans to take it off the menu to keep the business open.
Posted By: afriendofours

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 05/12/14 10:46 AM

Haha sounds good to me NNY78.

I doubt we get as good pizzas as you guys get over the pond, but a decent frozen pizza that's at least edible in the UK is ristorante by Dr Oetker.

Posted By: Footreads

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 05/12/14 05:54 PM

My favorite refrigerated Sicilian pie was from Armando's. Get the big pie eat half during the course of the night. Put the rest in the fridge. Then eat the rest for breakfast with meatballs and extra gravy.
Posted By: FunnyHow

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/10/14 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ChiSox74
My favorite frozen pizza is Home Run. The crust has so much butter the breast enlargement takes care of itself

This ^ Home Run is really good.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/12/14 03:49 AM

Never heard of it -- must not come from 'real' pizza areas wink

Boboli is still my favorite DIY crust, and DiGiorno is one of the only decent frozen pizzas. This coming from NJ, the best pizza outside of Italy tongue wink
Posted By: FunnyHow

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/12/14 01:21 PM

Never heard of it -- must not come from 'real' pizza areas wink

Boboli is still my favorite DIY crust, and DiGiorno is one of the only decent frozen pizzas. This coming from NJ, the best pizza outside of Italy tongue wink

lol I know it's sold in the midwest so maybe not, but it does come from Chicago
http://www.homeruninnpizza.com/

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/29/14 11:36 AM

Out of desperation the other day, I ate a frozen pizza. I forget which brand. One of my daughters had bought it a week or so ago and left it in our freezer. Madonne! It reminded me why I don't eat frozen pizzas. Terrible! Terrible! Ugh!

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/29/14 11:44 AM

There is no favorite frozen pizza

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/29/14 11:48 AM

My favorite frozen thing. I have a machine you take over ripe bananas freeze them with other frozen fruit and use tge machine to make a frozen desert just made of the fruit you froze.

They call the machine Yonanas. Buy it it's a good for you desert
Posted By: fanaledrinks

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 07/22/14 08:18 AM

Edible pizza from your freezer? Yes! Although none of the 16 individual-size frozen cheese or pepperoni pizzas our experts tasted was excellent, Home Run Inn, sold in more than 20 states, hit a triple with both types. They’re rated Very Good, and the cheese version is tastier than deep-dish and original cheese pizzas from Domino’s and Pizza Hut.
Posted By: PetroPirelli

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 08/28/14 07:28 PM

Ellios!

NOT.

Ellios lol
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 08/28/14 07:37 PM

Freschetta Thin & Crispy Crust
THERE'S ZERO SHAME IN EATING THIS!!!
Posted By: Bad_VLAD

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 08/28/14 09:06 PM

Frozen pizza shouldn't exist, and if it must... it should have another name.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 12/24/14 02:26 AM

In all honesty I would have to say DiGiorno's if it aint delivery.
Posted By: pimpanella

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 12/24/14 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: PetroPirelli

If cooked right the stuff crusted is ain't bad lol

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 12/24/14 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: pimpanella
Originally Posted By: PetroPirelli

If cooked right the stuff crusted is ain't bad lol

Haha it's really not and it's funny you say that because I was thinking about getting stuff crust DiGiorno tmrw. I haven't had it in awhile.
Posted By: leftygun62

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/12/15 06:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odV5JQ7XHjw
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/12/15 09:21 PM

Over here in CA you can't find decent pizza so I have to make it myself. Sometimes I don't have time so I get the Quattro formaggii or three cheese pizza pies from Trader Joe's. Better than any delivery we got here. Lol. Poor us.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/12/15 09:24 PM

AG, one more post and you join the 1k club!

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/12/15 09:32 PM

smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile star star star star star star cool cool cool cool
Posted By: DonMega1888

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/13/15 05:53 AM

Goodfellas smile

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/14/15 12:25 AM

My favorite frozen pizza is the one I order and then freeze. Love pizza in the morning smile
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/18/15 10:00 PM

Pizzeria Uno (a Chicago area pizza chain) had some frozen pizzas sold in Albertsons in Southern California, but they were only available for a short time. I think the Sam's Club frozen pizzas are decent. I tried a pizza at 7/11 once. Boy, do I regret doing that.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/26/15 10:36 PM

These are pretty good! New and tasty! About $7 a pizza.

http://www.screaminsicilian.com

Posted By: Oscarthedago

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/27/15 02:14 PM

Mystic Pizza

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/25/17 10:21 PM

Question: it seems like every frozen pizza says, "place directly on center rack." Do people do this, or do you use a pan? I always use a pan, and it turns out fine. Seems like putting it on the rack invites cheese dripping in the oven.
Posted By: SC

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/25/17 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: mustachepete
Question: it seems like every frozen pizza says, "place directly on center rack." Do people do this, or do you use a pan? I always use a pan, and it turns out fine. Seems like putting it on the rack invites cheese dripping in the oven.

Depends on how you like the crust. It will be a lot crispier without a pan.
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/26/17 03:05 AM

Do they still make Abondanze or something that sounds like that?

Retail brand of frozen pizza that we used to eat by the case.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/26/17 04:54 PM

In desperation (similar to jumping out a third story window if the building is on fire) I might buy and eat a frozen pizza. Madonne! Why do so? I hardly ever even buy a pizza from Dominoes or some such place (again, out of desperation) let alone a frozen pizza.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/26/17 06:39 PM

Is there such a thing as a favorite frozen pizza. Who ever likes that loves Franco American smile

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 03/26/17 11:29 PM

In desperation (similar to jumping out a third story window if the building is on fire) I might buy and eat a frozen pizza. Madonne! Why do so? I hardly ever even buy a pizza from Dominoes or some such place (again, out of desperation) let alone a frozen pizza.

Madonne! ¡Madonna Mia! (Makes the sign of the cross) I don't know about eating that frozen pizza. Sounds as bad as putting sauce on pasta, instead of gravy on macaroni grin

Ha ha just busting you Oli

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 05/26/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
Over here in CA you can't find decent pizza so I have to make it myself. Sometimes I don't have time so I get the Quattro formaggii or three cheese pizza pies from Trader Joe's. Better than any delivery we got here. Lol. Poor us.

Not sure if it's exactly the same thing, but this is a good frozen pizza:

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/wood-fired-naples-style-uncured-pepperoni-pizza
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 05/26/17 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark

Mark, thanks

Local Stop & Shop carries them...gotta try them out for NBA finals party.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 05/27/17 02:07 AM

Stop writing "good" or any other complimentary adjective in any sentence that contains the words "frozen pizza".
Posted By: SC

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 05/27/17 05:29 AM

Stop writing "good" or any other complimentary adjective in any sentence that contains the words "frozen pizza".

lol

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 05/27/17 12:02 PM

Sounds like a money making opportunity in California with great brick oven pizza. You can make some money. I wonder why my friend never started one there.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 05/27/17 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

lol

That is pretty funny! lol

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 05/27/17 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
Sounds like a money making opportunity in California with great brick oven pizza. You can make some money. I wonder why my friend never started one there.

Yes, I think now opening up a brick oven pizza joint would be a gold mine. Most hole-in-the-wall restaurants that sold pizza out here years ago were owned by Sicilians from Sicily. But, as far as a good NY thin crust, you could never find one!! The problem with California is that the people don't really know what they're missing when it comes to a good pizza pie. So, you just need to show them what they've been missing out on all these years.

There's a guy from Brooklyn, not a knockaround guy, more of a business type guy opened up Mamalukes (Mammalucco's) and this guy makes a great pie. And this other place called TJ's has a good thin crust. So, tell someone from NY to come out here so Alfano can eat some real good pizza!! smile
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 06/03/17 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Originally Posted By: Mark

Mark, thanks

Local Stop & Shop carries them...gotta try them out for NBA finals party.

Have you tried it yet? I bought one today and am going to try it maybe tomorrow night.
Posted By: TedEssco

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 11/04/21 09:25 PM

At first it was Tontino and later DiGiorno and Red Baron.

Others are: Tony's, Tombstone, Jacks.

Re: Favorite Frozen Pizza - 12/11/22 04:24 PM

The Red Baron Deep Dish mini-pizzas are tasty!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET