Home

Thanksgiving with the Freak Brothers

Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Thanksgiving with the Freak Brothers - 11/22/12 03:00 AM

How many of you out there are old enough to recall The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers? They were (and still are): Freewheelin' Frank, Phineas, and Fat Freddy.

Here's an oldie but goodie from 1970. I remembered this from one of their "underground" comic books, but before I could go rummaging through closets to find it, I saw that someone had already posted the entire page - isn't the Internet wonderful? As a bonus, there's also the "Fat Freddy's Cat" strip at the bottom.

Signor V.

Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Thanksgiving with the Freak Brothers - 11/24/12 07:36 AM

I guess I'm too young (whistle) to know about that strip, but I'm glad that with my declining eyesight I was still able to actually read it wink
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Thanksgiving with the Freak Brothers - 11/24/12 09:59 PM

Must be way before my time as well, grin cause I never heard of the Freak Brothers. confused Maybe they were an East Coast thing?

TIS

Re: Thanksgiving with the Freak Brothers - 11/25/12 02:51 AM

Actually, it was a West Coast thing, but the comic books were available nationwide, originally in "head shops" and places like that. They were part of the whole "underground comics" scene: Zap, Mr. Natural, Wonder Wart Hog, and stuff like that. Started in the 1960's and some of it is still around today today. Much of dealt with drugs, sex and violence (sometimes all in the same comic book!), and some of it was very political, as well. A lot of the old comics are considered counter-culture classics and are still being reprinted today, along with new offerings.

I guess the best way of describing the Freak Brothers would be to say they were like a cross between Cheech & Chong and The Three Stooges (sorta). My kinda guys.

Wikipedia - Freak Brothers

Freaknet (tribute site)

Rip Off Press (underground comics publishers)

Memories, memories...(sigh)

Signor V.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Thanksgiving with the Freak Brothers - 11/25/12 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Actually, it was a West Coast thing, but the comic books were available nationwide, originally in "head shops" and places like that. They were part of the whole "underground comics" scene: Zap, Mr. Natural, Wonder Wart Hog, and stuff like that. Started in the 1960's and some of it is still around today today. Much of dealt with drugs, sex and violence (sometimes all in the same comic book!), and some of it was very political, as well. A lot of the old comics are considered counter-culture classics and are still being reprinted today, along with new offerings.

I guess the best way of describing the Freak Brothers would be to say they were like a cross between Cheech & Chong and The Three Stooges (sorta). My kinda guys.

Freaknet (tribute site)

Signor V.

Thats a funny name
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: Thanksgiving with the Freak Brothers - 01/09/17 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Freaknet (tribute site)

Signor V.

Damn....u hit a memory nerve!!!I was just early teens when i saw these guys in high times magazines circa 77,78 I used 2 know how 2 draw them & amuse myself in class when bored..thanx 4 the memo.!

Re: Thanksgiving with the Freak Brothers - 07/19/21 02:02 AM

Since the link in the OP is dead, here it is anew:

[Linked Image]

Still hungry? sick

Years ago, in my stoner days, I had a friend (now deceased) who was the image of Fat Freddy. Elliott M., this one's for you.

Signor V.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET