Home

how do u make ur gravy?

Posted By: Don Smitty

how do u make ur gravy? - 05/10/09 02:31 PM

How do my fellow friends on these boards make their gravy? Iam looking for new recipes. Please help......

ds
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/24/09 04:40 PM

Heh, come over here, kid, learn something. You never know, you might have to cook for twenty guys someday. You see, you start out with a little bit of oil. Then you fry some garlic. Then you throw in some tomatoes, tomato paste, you fry it; ya make sure it doesn't stick. You get it to a boil; you shove in all your sausage and your meatballs; heh?... And a little bit o' wine. An' a little bit o' sugar, and that's my trick.

wink
Posted By: olivant

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/24/09 06:06 PM

Crush up peeled tomatoes and fry them in olive oil with onions and tomato paste (sometimes I leave out the paste). I don't use salt, but alot of pepper, garlic powder (crushed garlic if I have it), and Basil. Sometimes I'll add a piece of pork. Pretty simple.
Posted By: SC

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/24/09 06:54 PM

Go to the supermarket. Go to the sauce aisle. Buy a jar and take it home. Open it and pour it into a saucepan. Heat it up on the stove. That's my secret.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/24/09 06:56 PM

Smitty, I never use paste.

I use canned Tuttorusso tomatoes with basil.

Slice up some garlic, very thin and chop up some onions, very fine.
( amount of garlic and onions used depends on both your taste and the number of cans you will be using for your gravy).

Heat up the pot (on a low flame) that you are going to use. Once the pot is heated then coat the bottom of the pot with pure extra virgin olive oil keeping the flame on low. When you begin to see the ripples in the olive oil, drop in your chopped up onions and then your sliced garlic, stirring and keeping careful watch making sure that the garlic does not burn.

Once onions and garlic begin to tan, pour in the tomatoe sauce. Stir. Then add in some parsley, some basil, salt, pepper, some oreganeo, and grated cheese. With your cooking spoon you want to stir (almost in a whipping motion) all the ingredients that you just added INTO the sauce, stirring from the middle of the pot out to the ends and then slowly back into the middle. Then drop in a little bit of sugar (not too much) and stir once again. Keep flame on low. Do not leave pot totally uncovered but do not cover completely. Try placing the cover in a position where at least a 1/4 of the pot is left uncovered.

Once your gravy begins to heat up taste and add of more the ingredients that you think are lacking if needed.

If you've browned your meatballs and sausage, add them to the pot.

Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/24/09 08:58 PM

Cool. It sounds great! I will have to try it soon. Thanks Don Cardi!

ds
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/25/09 01:04 PM

Two things are important. As DC said, be careful not to burn the onion and garlic. The onions will carmelize and the garlic will become bitter. NOT good. Also, put your canned tomatoes through some kind of strainer to get the seeds out. Seeds will make your sauce bitter.

Most people simply add browned meatballs and sausage. However, the meat you add can make a difference in the taste of the gravy. If you like your sauce spicy, use hot sausage. If you like it sweet, add a browned chicken leg or a piece of pork (perhaps a country style rib) to your gravy. If you like it thick, cook it with the cover mostly off. If you like it thin, cover it.

I never add my sugar until the end. Depending on how you cooked it, you may not need it, so I always wait.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/27/09 08:36 PM

I am probably the only person in the universe who calls this "sauce". To me gravy is what you put on your potatoes.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/27/09 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Beth E
I am probably the only person in the universe who calls this "sauce". To me gravy is what you put on your potatoes.

That's BROWN gravy! smile And I love that, too. Give me a rare roast beef and brown gravy and some egg noodles or mashed potatoes, and some nice spinach or fresh broccoli. OMG!! I could eat and eat and eat. (can you tell I'm on a diet?)

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/28/09 07:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Give me a rare roast beef ...

Ewwwwwwwww!!! panic
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/28/09 12:17 PM

No you're not Beth. When I opened this thread, I thought, "Good, since I suck at making gravy, now maybe I'll get some great tips on how to make good gravy (the kind you put on potatos)." At first I thought maybe it's an East Coast thing, but I'm thinking it's more a NY thing. I just can't see pouring a chicken/beef gravy over my pasta. lol Sauce is what goes on pasta. tongue

TIS

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/28/09 02:35 PM

TIS, to us, Sundays was always macaroni and gravy. And we differentiated by calling the other stuff brown gravy. It just might be a NY thing.

And if you need help with brown gravy, let me know. My mother taught me the right way to do it, and I've made it without fail for years.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/28/09 02:41 PM

How is she with turkey gravy? I always want to try to make homemade gravy for Thanksgiving. I fail miserably.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/28/09 02:52 PM

All brown gravy is made the same way, Beth. My mother's secret is that she doesn't use flour. Flour lumps very easily. She uses cornstarch instead. The other important thing is to never add the cornstarch when the drippings are too hot. That also avoids lumps.

I usually drain all my drippings into a pot. I also add a cup of bullion because we like lots of gravy (on Thanksgiving, I actually simmer the turkey neck with some celery and onions, drain and add that to the pot so that we have a TON of gravy). I also add some salt, pepper and a little onion powder.

In a separate cup, I mix a few tablespoons of cornstarch and water, just enough until it's smooth. Then I add that mixture slowly to the drippings, stirring constantly. After it's all mixed in, THEN I turn on the flame. I stir until it boils and thickens. Remove the pot from the flame and check to see if it's thickened to your liking. If not, mix a bit more cornstarch and water and add it as you did before. Because it's hotter than it was previously, you will have to stir quite briskly to make sure it doesn't lump. Again, do not put the gravy back on the flame until you have completely mixed in the cornstarch. Bring it to a boil again and make sure it's thick enough.

I always add a little bit of Gravy Master at the end as well.

If you were making turkey gravy, which is a larger pot, you'll have to mix more than a few tablespoons of cornstarch, but it's really trial and error. I don't have a recipe.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/28/09 04:16 PM

In a separate cup, I mix a few tablespoons of cornstarch and water, just enough until it's smooth.

Do you use cold or warm water with the cornstarch?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/28/09 09:19 PM

I guess room temperature, Mig.
Posted By: Mark

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/28/09 10:13 PM

NO! IT MUST BE COLD! I was a cook in the navy and I have the secret to the no miss corn starch thickening trick...trust me - this works the best! Thickening any kind of sauce or gravy is a tricky thing and you can screw it up bad if not careful. Take a small bowl and add 4 Tablespoons of cold water. Take 4 Tablespoons of cornstarch and add to the cold water and mix quickly with a fork. When the mixture is blended add to your sauce you wish to thicken. Mix in with the gravy/sauce briskly and wait to see if it needs another "dose" of corn starch. The secret is equal amounts of cold water to equal amounts of cornstarch mixed thoroughly. If it needs to be thickened more, repeat the process I detailed earlier. A sauce or gravy is thick enough when you dip a spoon into mixture and it stays medium coated after you lift it out.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/29/09 01:16 AM

Thanks, Mark. I never knew that. I just turn on the faucet. And make sure not to add the cornstarch mixture when the drippings are hot, or it will lump immediately.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/29/09 02:05 AM

Anytime! smile

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/29/09 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark
I was a cook in the navy.

Ya learn something new everyday. What ships were you on? Thanks for the recipe.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/29/09 11:46 AM

Mig, I spent 3.5 years on the USS Orion AS-18 homeport of La Maddalena, Sardinia. Beautiful place - especially in the summer. Has the Colonel ever heard of the place? Maybe I served with Col. and I don't even know it?..

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/29/09 05:25 PM

Mark, The Col. was never on the USS Orion. He was on the:
USS Canopus AS-34
USS Frank Cable As-40
USS Halyburton FFG-40
USS Vella Gulf CG-72
Plus shore facilities as well.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/29/09 10:07 PM

The Frank Cable was exactly like the ship I was on...a sub tender. Good duty...almost like shore duty.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/30/09 12:51 AM

From where I come from it's called Gravy when you put Meatballs, Sausage, Bracciole, and/or any other kinds of solid meats in it. Hence "Meats in the GRAVY. I've never heard it called meats in the sauce. wink

We call it sauce when it's a Marinara Sauce, a Bolognese Sauce ( chopped meat based ), Alfredo Sauce, Vodka Sauce, etc.

But when you have 'solid' meats like the ones I mentioned above, it becomes Meats in the Gravy.

TIS, you're an Italian, what did your family call it when they added and cooked meatballs and sausages in it?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/30/09 02:59 PM

DC,

In my family, the red sauce was always called "sugu" (sp). Don't know if it's slang or just perhaps Sicilian, or from a certain part of Silicy, but with or without meat it was sugu. This was passed on of course by both my grandparents who were from Sicily, so I have every reason to believe it was carried on from them but how it originated I don't know. confused

Now that I think about it, I did have an older cousin here in CA who I visited a few time and I believe she referred to the red sauce as gravy too. She was from my mom's side of the family so I don't know how/why the differences. Interesting though.

TIS

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/31/09 02:40 AM

I never heard it called anything but sauce until I heard Paulie call it gravy on the Sopranos. Gravy was always white or brown and never on spaghetti or such.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/31/09 01:31 PM

I remember in "A Bronx Tale", C asked that black girl if she could cook "macaroni and gravy". Then in The Sopranos, I saw Paulie call it gravy and Uncle Junior called it red gravy in a scene with Tony... I thought "gravy" was strictly an east coast thing. We call it both sauce and gravy in Chicago...mostly gravy.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/31/09 04:39 PM

Gravy is what I put on biscuits. Sauce is what I put on spaghetti.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/31/09 04:47 PM

I remember in "A Bronx Tale", C asked that black girl if she could cook "macaroni and gravy". Then in The Sopranos, I saw Paulie call it gravy and Uncle Junior called it red gravy in a scene with Tony... I thought "gravy" was strictly an east coast thing. We call it both sauce and gravy in Chicago...mostly gravy.

That cousin in CA I mentioned.....she was originally from Chicago. Most here eeem to be from the NY/NJ area that say "gravy" though. Maybe it is a geographical thing after all. lol

TIS

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 05/31/09 05:25 PM

I remember in "A Bronx Tale

Great flick.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/01/09 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Sauce is what I put on spaghetti-o-s.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/01/09 12:26 AM

Spaghettios, Mig?!? I thought you had some class - I took you for at least a Chef Boyardee girl!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/01/09 12:31 AM

You wanna know the kind of sauce they put on spaghettios? Catsup. I don't even consider that in the pasta genre. It's a class all in itself. lol Although, I admit, kids seem to like them.

TIS

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/01/09 12:34 AM

I apologize in advance for being gross but I always thought spaghettios smelled like kids vomit...just sayin'. sick

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/02/09 12:50 AM

I apologize in advance for being gross but I always thought spaghettios smelled like kids vomit...just sayin'. sick

It does! sick

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/02/09 02:36 AM

Spaghettios, Mig?!? I thought you had some class - I took you for at least a Chef Boyardee girl!

You guys(DC) will never let me live that down huh? whistle rolleyes

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/02/09 08:05 PM

"DC, can you let Mig off the hook?..For old time's sake?"

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/02/09 10:47 PM

"DC, can you let Mig off the hook?..For old time's sake?"

Can't do it Marky.

wink

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/03/09 01:47 AM

lol clap

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/03/09 02:06 AM

Thanks for trying Mark. One day he'll ask me for a pass and guess what I'll say?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/03/09 11:22 AM

Probably no - but remember once a favor has been refused, Don Cardi won't ask a second time...not with this Sicilian thing that has been going on for two thousand years!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/03/09 08:59 PM

Probably no - but remember once a favor has been refused, Don Cardi won't ask a second time...not with this Sicilian thing that has been going on for two thousand years!

Smack!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/03/09 09:02 PM

lol

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/04/09 11:12 PM

Thanks for trying Mark. One day he'll ask me for a pass and guess what I'll say?

You'll say :

"Cardi, your sitting high up on Todt Hill, And your eatin' - uh, what's he eatin'? Spaghetti, Uh, Home made Spaghetti Carbonanra -- and you're passing judgment on how I feed my Family. My family doesn't eat on Staten Island; doesn't eat in Brooklyn -- and doesn't eat in New Jersey -- with Don Geoffy. We eat spaghetti-o-s with Mark!"

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/04/09 11:41 PM

panic No! They smell like kid's vomit!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/05/09 12:18 AM

Come on Mark your half hillbilly.( Not that I eat spaghettio's anymore )

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/05/09 01:39 PM

Mig, one year on my "summer vacation", my father's sister cooked up a big bowl of scrambled eggs. She is not the best cook so we kids thought nothing about a few dark brown spots in the eggs - we thought they we burnt. After we finished breakfast and were cleaning up she asked us how we liked the scrambled eggs and pig brains... eek
That is a true story.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/05/09 01:46 PM

So, how were they???

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/05/09 01:57 PM

They tasted like spaghetti-o-s! Honestly, we couldn't taste any difference other than they didn't need much salt. It was the fact that knowing afterwards made it all that much grosser! We probably wouldn't have even known about the secret ingredient unless told.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/06/09 01:20 AM

Mark, That's how it is when we go to the Col's Uncle's house. We never know what they are going to serve. One time I ate turtle, squirrel,pig ears. I will never eat pig ears again. Have you ever had tangle guts?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/06/09 02:20 PM

Yes - twice and it required surgery both times.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/06/09 04:43 PM

confused

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/06/09 05:27 PM

Sorry, Mig - I thought this was the tell us about your operations thread! No, I have not tasted any of those "yummy" things you listed. Needless to say that after the eggs thing we were very leary to try anything home made!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/06/09 10:47 PM

Wow! I can't believe you never ate tangle guts. I'm only 40% hillbilly and I love them.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/06/09 11:19 PM

Mark, That's how it is when we go to the Col's Uncle's house. We never know what they are going to serve. One time I ate turtle, squirrel,pig ears. I will never eat pig ears again. Have you ever had tangle guts?

panic OMG! Makes Granny Clampets' Possum stew seem halfway normal. lol Oh, and WTF are tangled guts????Or maybe I don't wanna know. Remind never to eat at your houses. lol

TIS

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/06/09 11:21 PM

Tangle guts? Sounds like some sort of road kill.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/07/09 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Oh, and WTF are tangled guts????Or maybe I don't wanna know. Remind never to eat at your houses. lol TIS

TIS, tangle guts are a edible weed that grows in the mountains. You wash them and pour hot bacon grease and salt on them and they are delish. Oh yeah TIS, feel free to come to my house I cook normal food.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/07/09 01:58 AM

tangle guts are a edible weed that grows in the mountains. You wash them and pour hot bacon grease and salt on them ...

Could be one reason why you don't see a lot of 100 year old hillbillies. That stuff'll kill ya (then again, NY deli food isn't much healthier).

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/07/09 03:40 AM

Put a plate of hillbilly food in front of me and put a plate of NY deli food in front of me and I will die a happy woman.
Posted By: bogey

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/07/09 12:08 PM

You put gravy on mashed potatoes, guysss.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/07/09 12:40 PM

Thank you, Bogey - back to the debate...gravy or sauce? wink

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/07/09 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey
You put gravy on mashed potatoes, guysss.

Yes you do.

There's

Alfredo sauce.
Pesto sauce.
Vodka sauce.
Marinara sauce.
Mushroom sauce.

But when you brown meatballs, sausage, pork & beef brocolla in a large pan and then add the meat to a pot of fresh totmato / marinara sauce, it becomes MEATS IN THE GRAVY.

It's not called meats in the sauce, or meats with tomatoes, or meats in marinara. You've never heard nor will you ever hear it reffered to anything but MEATS IN THE GRAVY!

smile

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/07/09 01:39 PM

Match, point and game - Don Cardi!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/07/09 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

But when you brown meatballs, sausage, pork & beef brocolla in a large pan and then add the meat to a pot of fresh totmato / marinara sauce, it becomes MEATS IN THE GRAVY.

It's not called meats in the sauce, or meats with tomatoes, or meats in marinara. You've never heard nor will you ever hear it reffered to anything but MEATS IN THE GRAVY!

Does that mean according to your explanition if I put ham or chicken in my alfredo sauce it becomes alfredo gravy?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/07/09 10:46 PM

Does that mean according to your explanition if I put ham or chicken in my alfredo sauce it becomes alfredo gravy?

Absolutely not. Many restaurants make Fettucini Alfredo with Ham & Peas as well as Fettucini Alfredo with boneless chicken breast.

Now please go and pick some weeds out of the lot behind your property, pour some bacon grease fat on them and call it dinner. And make sure that you don't scare the squirrels away when you pull out those weeds!

tongue

wink

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 01:06 AM

Now please go and pick some weeds out of the lot behind your property, pour some bacon grease fat on them and call it dinner. And make sure that you don't scare the squirrels away when you pull out those weeds!

First of all it's not a lot it's the mountains where I pick the weeds.
Second of all it's not MY property.
Third of all I can't pick any tangle guts cuz they're not in season anymore. I have to wait to the beginning of next spring. And I haven't had any to eat in a couple years.
Fourth of all don't knock it till you try it.

tongue

wink

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 01:11 AM

First of all it's not a lot it's the mountains where I pick the weeds.
Second of all it's not MY property.
Third of all I can't pick any tangle guts cuz they're not in season anymore. I have to wait to the beginning of next spring. And I haven't had any to eat in a couple years.
Fourth of all don't knock it till you try it.

tongue

wink

How many variations are there for cooking with weeds?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 01:33 AM

You askin me?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 01:37 AM

You askin me?

NO, I'm asking Lavinia from Italy. whistle

Usually when you end a sentence with a question mark, it means that you're asking! wink

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 01:45 AM

Smartass! Smartass! smartass!

I only know of 1 way to make tangleguts. That's the way I posted about. And trust me I'm not that good of a cook.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 01:52 AM

Smartass! Smartass! smartass!

I only know of 1 way to make tangleguts. That's the way I posted about. And trust me I'm not that good of a cook.

I wasn't being a smartass Mig. I asked you a question and you answered with a question! Who was really being the smartass? lol wink

One way, huh?

Gee, I wonder how many ways there are to make pasta? tongue lol

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 02:09 AM

I wasn't being a smartass Mig.

Teasing!!

Gee, I wonder how many ways there are to make pasta? tongue lol

So what's your point?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 02:12 AM

grin

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 12:46 PM

Gee, I wonder how many ways there are to make pasta?

Let's see...pasta and strangled guts, pasta and pig brains, pasta con squirrel, pig ears and pasta, pasta with dandelions, pasta ala possum, pasta and lard, spaghetti and jackrabbit sauce, rotini and elk tongue...

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 01:23 PM

Bon appeitte! wink

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 01:24 PM

Your family must be from the southern hills, BubbaMark.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 05:27 PM

Sorry, guys...you'll never catch me eating any of the before mentioned.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 05:40 PM

Well I'm not sorry for eating tangle guts or squirrel or deer. But if there ever comes a time that food is hard to come by I know my family won't go hungry.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 06:09 PM

When the end of the world comes, there's no doubt me and Don Cardi will be knocking on your, Mig!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 07:19 PM

Will you be coming over together? wink

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 07:23 PM

Will you be coming over together?

Uh oh....

"Hey Colonel, go out and run over two more squirrels... we got company comin'".

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 07:30 PM

No need to run them over. All he has to do is open the front door and shoot.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 09:45 PM

As I told you before, I am only half hillbilly on my pappy's side but my wife is 110% backwoods, redneck, hayseed, hillybilly bred. She melts butter to pour on her butter and can make a batch of peppered breakfast gravy - NOT sauce, and eat a whole bowl for dinner along with bacon half cooked to preserve the rubbery fat texture! She never throws out the grease - I'm told that is against the law in the south - and uses the lard to snack on while washing it down with a 12 pack of Mountain Dew...anybody know a MT. Dew interventionist?!? I knew she was an authentic hick when she cooked chicken and dumplings from scratch and my dad loved it!!! Of course, my Italian mom was instantly hacked off because a Rebel had infiltrated the Union cucina!!! I'm willing to overlook all this drama because my "Ellie May" wife is hot and looks a lot like Marie Osmond!!! HEE HAW and HOO-HAH BOY! grin

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 09:55 PM

I'd love to meet your wife one day.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 10:13 PM

She deserves a medal putting up with me for 22 years!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 10:34 PM

I got ya beat by 5 years. A friend of mine from VA told me that she's gonna put me in for sainthood cuz I married the Col.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 10:44 PM

lol

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/08/09 11:38 PM

When the end of the world comes, there's no doubt me and Don Cardi will be knocking on your, Mig!

Speak for yourself my friend! You won't catch me eating squirrel! Mine as well eat rat! Same family. sick

I've eaten alligator and snake, but a squirrel is a rodent. Disgusting!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 12:21 AM

Squirrel tastes just like turkey. Don't knock it till you try it. Like I said before I won't go hungry.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 12:56 AM

It's a rodent for GOD's sake! How in the world anyone can justify eating a rodent, outside of desperately trying to survive, is beyond me!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 01:37 AM

Give me a squirrel over a slimy snake any day.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 01:47 AM

Give me a squirrel over a slimy snake any day.

Click to reveal..

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 02:06 AM

lol
I've eaten a snake

Click to reveal..

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 02:10 AM

lol

I have to admit, I didn't like snake. But the Fried Gator Bites that I ate were pretty good!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 10:38 AM

How did a request for gravy-making tips turn into snakes and squirrels and something about weeds?? confused

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 11:45 AM

See what happens when Italians marry and procreate with hillbillies (like my mother!)?!?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 11:47 AM

They make you an offer you can't understand. tongue

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 02:50 PM

See what happens when Italians marry and procreate with hillbillies (like my mother!)?!?

Sounds like good people to me.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 02:51 PM

lol

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

SC, you made me spit out some diet soda ALL over my computer.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/09/09 11:37 PM

How did a request for gravy-making tips turn into snakes and squirrels and something about weeds?? confused

It's called an "Italian Wannabe Hillbilly Invasion."

lol

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/10/09 12:43 AM

who's an Italian Wannabe ?

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/10/09 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: SC

That has to be one of the best lines ever posted on this Board.

lol clap

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/10/09 12:50 PM

Squirrels, snakes and spaghetti sauce all in one thread? No, no no. eek "You don't pull on Superman's Cape; you don't spit into the wind; you don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger",,, and you don't mess around with Italian sauce/gravy (to some). lol

TIS

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/10/09 11:25 PM

Squirrels, snakes and spaghetti sauce all in one thread? No, no no. eek "You don't pull on Superman's Cape; you don't spit into the wind; you don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger",,, and you don't mess around with Italian sauce/gravy (to some). lol

TIS

That's It! Our Godmother has spoken!

(you're absolutely right TIS, those kinds of hillbilly dishes should NEVER be spoken about in the same sentence as Italian food! it's an infamia!)

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/10/09 11:43 PM

Why not? To me IMHO it's the best of both worlds.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/10/09 11:45 PM

Some worlds shouldn't collide, Miggie lol.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/11/09 12:13 AM

That hurts.
Posted By: bogey

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/11/09 04:09 PM

You've never heard nor will you ever hear it reffered to anything but MEATS IN THE GRAVY!

smile

Actually I've never even heard of the phrase "Meats in the gravy" soooo, that whole argument means nothing to me lol

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/11/09 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Some worlds shouldn't collide, Miggie lol.

Ooooh! I'm gonna tell your lady that you said that! tongue

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/13/09 01:00 PM

I've seen a couple of recipes for spaghetti sauce/gravy that included things like nutmeg, brown sugar and a few canned beets. Not all in the same recipe but the reasoning behind the nutmeg and brown sugar was to add sweetness and the beets were added to increase the red color appearance of the sauce/gravy. This got me thinking what other "nontraditional" ingredients fellow bb'ers add to their sauce/gravy recipes? I am curious to know what the ingredient is and why it is added. I will add a couple of tablespoons of whole milk about a half an hour before serving to take out any left over tomato acid still lingering. Any other secret ingredients/tips to share?
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/20/09 04:43 PM

Re: how do u make ur gravy?

Hmmm...Difficult, not impossible.

First I would catch an ur, slaughter it, remove the giblets...

Sorry folks - I just couldn't resist. blush

Signor V.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/20/09 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Re: how do u make ur gravy?

Hmmm...Difficult, not impossible.

First I would catch an ur, slaughter it, remove the giblets...

Sorry folks - I just couldn't resist. blush

Signor V.

And feed it to Ralph.

Good to see you back my friend!

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/20/09 05:00 PM

Hey, DC!

Decided to grab a little computer time at my local library and check in on the BB.

In a few moments, it'll be back to the great (wet) outdoors to do a little grocery shopping and plan tonight's dinner - but that's fodder for another thread.

No ur gravy, though, but thoughts of carbonara have been dancing through my head - along with chicken curry.

Decisions, decisions...

(One day I'll have to photograph Ralph and post it. Actually, I recently found out that a good friend of mine created the "original" Ralph for The Sopranos!)

Signor V.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/20/09 06:58 PM

Vitelli, is that really you? eek Nice to see you back. Hope you're well.

Now, will you kindly tell these people that it is "sauce" and NOT gravy? lol

TIS

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/20/09 07:12 PM

Vitelli, is that really you? eek Nice to see you back. Hope you're well.

Now, will you kindly tell these people that it is "sauce" and NOT gravy? lol

TIS

Now what in the world would he know about sauce or gravy? Except maybe for Brisket gravy or apple sauce for Latkes.

lol wink

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/20/09 07:16 PM

Ha ha!! lol I know he likes to cook Italian food and assume he knows the "corrrect" terminology. tongue wink But, let's not even suggest Brisket gravy on noodles. eek

TIS

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/20/09 07:23 PM

But, let's not even suggest Brisket gravy on noodles. eek
TIS

Actually many jewish delicatessans make a dish called Hungarian Goulash. And guess what? It's a dish that consists of chunks of meat, usually flank steak, with brown gravy poured over.....you called it! NOODLES! It's a brown gravy goulash variation that many delicatessans serve. Delicious!

One of my favorite deli dishes.

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/20/09 07:31 PM

Actually, that doesn't sound bad. wink

TIS

Re: how do u make ur gravy? - 06/22/09 08:15 PM

I know he likes to cook Italian food and assume he knows the "corrrect" terminology.

Me? Correct?? Perish the thought!!

To tell you the truth, when I was growing up, it was always "sauce." I had Italian friends in my building, but never heard the word "gravy" from them or their mothers, that I can recall.

But, growing up in Brooklyn, I'm sure the term existed - I guess just not in my building.

Signor V.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET