Home

Amici Italiani

Posted By: olivant

Amici Italiani - 12/22/07 04:02 PM

Those of you who are Italian got to enjoy Italian Christmas cookies of all description. I remember going to my Aunt Lidia's house around Christmas where she cooked herself evey type of cookie under the sun. But I can't remember what they're called. Maybe you can. Even those of you who are not paisan may have enjoyed them also. Help me remember.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 01:41 AM

I for one remember my grandmother making what we knew as Pizzelles, which were very very thin cookies with powdered sugar on them.

We still make what's known a Strufolis.

And of course there are the Italian Bow Tie cookies.

Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 01:47 AM

Gosh, my grandmother use to make so many different kinds of cookies. I'm sorry to say I don't remember the names of them. One that my sister still makes is 3 different colors, frosted and usually candied sprinkles. \:\)

Always at weddings, we'd have a few trays of these cookies. It was a must at any Italian wedding. I remember ones that were seeded on top and a few had the anise flavor,and one vanilla flavored that always had a cherry on top.

DC, a couple people at work bring pizelles to work every Christmas. I love them. I'm thinking perhaps different Italian families have different selections of sweets, because I don't remember either of my grandparents, nor my mother making pizelles, but I really like them. \:\)

TIS
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 01:51 AM

My daughter and her father's side of her family make the Bow Tie cookies every year. I helped a couple times. Of course, my only contribution is sprinkling the sugar on them. They're a pain in the rear to make. The oil has to be so hot, and you can't keep them in the oil too long or they'll break. It takes about 4 hours to make them, and about 4 minutes to eat them all.

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Beth E

They're a pain in the rear to make. The oil has to be so hot, and you can't keep them in the oil too long or they'll break.

They are similar to the way that you roll Gnocchis. Perhaps if you had a bastard cousin to make them with, you'd enjoy making them. \:p

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 02:15 AM

I remember pizelles the most. My parents used to send me a bunch they made when I was overseas. All the ones you guys mentioned I remember too.
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

They're a pain in the rear to make. The oil has to be so hot, and you can't keep them in the oil too long or they'll break.

They are similar to the way that you roll Gnocchis. Perhaps if you had a bastard cousin to make them with, you'd enjoy making them. \:p

Some of my cousins are bastards, but not in a good way. \:\)
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 02:27 AM

Some of my cousins are bastards, but not in a good way. \:\)

Yea, they don't make bastard cousins like they use to anymore do they?

TIS

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 03:28 AM

Ladies, this thread is about Christmas cookies!
Posted By: SC

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 04:06 AM

I am so craving a glass of milk for the above.

My friend's grandmother used to make home-made cookies at Christmas. I don't know what they were called but they were roughly the size of ping pong balls and had ricotta cheese and lemon. Delicious stuff!

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 04:10 AM

Madonne! Si buono!

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: SC

My friend's grandmother used to make home-made cookies at Christmas. I don't know what they were called but they were roughly the size of ping pong balls and had ricotta cheese and lemon. Delicious stuff!

Did they look like these SC :

Posted By: SC

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 06:24 AM

Thats them!! They had a sweet icing! What are they called?

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/24/07 01:58 PM

Biscotti di Ricotta
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/26/07 03:43 PM

Biscotti di Ricotta

My mother in law makes them along with Pepper Cookies. They look similar in shape and size but they are made with chocolate dough and I guess pepper. They do have a little bite. They go good with beer. Sorry no picture.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/26/07 07:40 PM

My grandmother used to make cookies like those, but no ricotta. Just lemon, and that sweet glaze on them. and they were like knots. Those were my favorite.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Amici Italiani - 12/27/07 03:08 PM

My mother-in-law would bake a ton of cookies around Christmas that she would give out to customers at her restaurant. Thety included the ricotta cheese cookies, which I like, and brown spice cookies and anise flavored cookies that I don't care for. My favorites were cookies filled with apricot or dates.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET