Home

Actual "Serving" Sizes

Posted By: dontomasso

Actual "Serving" Sizes - 10/02/07 04:39 PM

If you look at any food product in the nutrition section, they tell you how many servings are in the package, and how many calories there are per serving. If you look at a regular box or cellophane bag of pasta, for example there are something like 8 or 9 "servings" per package. Does anyone actually eat the perscribed servings?
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Actual "Serving" Sizes - 10/02/07 05:04 PM

That's becoming more and more of a joke! I think they do that so they can say how few calories or little fat there is "per serving"... too bad it takes 4+ "servings" to actually make a meal out of it.
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Actual "Serving" Sizes - 10/02/07 05:59 PM

A friend of mine was a nutrionist for the former General Foods company. Her job was to figure out the calories, fat, etc. per serving. She was told to keep working on the number of servings so that the items could be considered "low fat" or even "fat free" under the FDA regulations.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Actual "Serving" Sizes - 10/02/07 06:33 PM

I never read the serving size. I read the % Daily Value for a 2000 calorie per day measure. I guess that is assuming one serving probably, then what I read is of little value. I'll make sure I read the serving size as well now on.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Actual "Serving" Sizes - 10/03/07 01:06 AM

I thought the serving size on pasta was 1 cup. Yea, right!!! I think of a serving more as 4 cups (or 5) \:p A cup is barely enough to wet your beak. \:D A mere appetizer.

TIS
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET