Home

I Can't Stand...

Posted By: Longneck

I Can't Stand... - 09/09/07 06:39 PM

No, I'm not drunk...

I can't stand seafood, ricotta cheese, liver. Basically if it smells bad I can't eat it. I can eat lasagna with some ricotta cheese but not too much. Canollis are out only because of the ricotta.

What about you?
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/09/07 06:46 PM

Longneck,

I'm sure you're not alone. Many people don't like or are allergic to seafood, and liver is well.. self explanatory. I think it's totally understandable why you wouldn't like that.

Same with the ricotta. It is heavy and rich and you either like it or not. Me, I love it. \:\) Don't know if it's because I was brought up having on-hand for the most part or not.

As far as the canoli goes, I make those usually during the Christmas holiday season. I have two sons-in-laws and neither like the ricotta. So.....I americanized a little for them and simply filled the shell with pudding (vanilla, banana, chocolate, or whatever). Granted, not quite the same, but they loved it and I am glad that I could please them and they didn't feel left out.

As for the lasagna I simply put the provolone and mozzarella in for them.

TIS
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/09/07 07:00 PM

I'll try anything, within reason, once. I find it's especially important if you're a guest of someone from another culture. You really might be offending them more than you know by not trying something that they worked on all day for you.

The exception, of course, would be Fear Factor-Anthony Bourdain stuff, like bugs, worms and the still beating heart of a snake.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/09/07 09:18 PM

Yeah, I'll try most anything within reason.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Longneck

Canollis are out only because of the ricotta.

There are other kinds of canolli stuffings. Try finding ones with chocolate mousse stuffing.

I love ricotta!

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 02:08 AM

Not a big fan of chocolate either...I can eat it, but I don't love it.
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I'll try anything, within reason, once...The exception, of course, would be Fear Factor-Anthony Bourdain stuff, like bugs, worms and the still beating heart of a snake.

Agreed. But, Bourdain has nothing on Andrew Zimmern and his show Bizarre Foods (it ain't called that for nothin') on The Travel Channel.

But, for me, the one food that will always come to mind as something I absolutely can't stand - and just like Plaw, even the smell of it is sickening to me - is, now and forever:

LIVER.

Doesn't matter what animal it comes from.

Doesn't matter how it's prepared.

Doesn't matter if the fate of the free world rests on my scarfing down a plate of the stuff.

Liver is my enemy.

Signor V.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I'll try anything, within reason, once...The exception, of course, would be Fear Factor-Anthony Bourdain stuff, like bugs, worms and the still beating heart of a snake.

Agreed. But, Bourdain has nothing on Andrew Zimmern and his show Bizarre Foods (it ain't called that for nothin') on The Travel Channel.

But, for me, the one food that will always come to mind as something I absolutely can't stand - and just like Plaw, even the smell of it is sickening to me - is, now and forever:

LIVER.

Doesn't matter what animal it comes from.

Doesn't matter how it's prepared.

Doesn't matter if the fate of the free world rests on my scarfing down a plate of the stuff.

Liver is my enemy.

Signor V.

So, what you're saying is, you don't like liver?

TIS
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 04:46 AM

If seafood smells bad then it's not fresh seafood. And unfortunately most of the country doesn't get fresh seafood.
Posted By: SC

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 06:50 AM

I knew this blind guy who once walked in front of a fish market. He said, "Hello, ladies".
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 06:55 AM

That's pretty bad \:p
Posted By: Beth E

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
I knew this blind guy who once walked in front of a fish market. He said, "Hello, ladies".

But it'll taste like chicken.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Beth E

But it'll taste like chicken.

Is that why it smelled fowl?

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 10:12 AM

SC, you should be ashamed! \:o

But I concede; you win. You definitely out"rank" me. \:p

Back on topic:

I can't stand
LIVER-FLAVORED CIGARS.

I also can't stand the fact that I can't make the font any larger than 17pt.

Signor V.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 10:16 AM

I dunno, SV, if I lived a block away from Adelman's, I'd be there every other day getting a chopped liver on rye. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 10:42 AM

Bastardo! \:D

A little over a year ago, when I had My Dinner With Plawrence at Adelman's Deli, he just stared in amazement at the three frankfurters and huge white meat turkey on rye (with several helpings from their salad bar) I ordered. He couldn't believe it when I said afterwards that I forgot to order their chicken soup with matzoh balls!

But, no liver. Ever.

See if you remember this - I can still recall it after forty years, word for word, from MAD magazine:

(Sung to the tune of "Moon River")

Chopped liver...onions on the side
My social life has dried...from you.

My friends shun me...they outrun me
The smell of your breath is slow death, sad but true.

Your odor's...twice as bad as beer
And people who drink beer agree.

I know that your smell will not end
Always I'll offend
My halitosis friend
Chopped liver...and me!

Signor V.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 10:58 AM

Too much "Mad" magazine at age 10... that explains a lot!!

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Longneck
Not a big fan of chocolate either...I can eat it, but I don't love it.

Then in that case, leave the cannolis and take the gun.

;\)
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 12:04 PM

I don't think liver is food. It's primarily used to punish children or threaten them into eating green vegtables.

I can eat almost anything; a few exceptions - raw onions don't agree with me. Cheese (especially ricotta) and cake don't belong in the same food.

As a kid I ate tunafish sandwiches with blueberry jelly. Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are particularly delicious. Beer and chocalate chip cookies are good too.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Cheese (especially ricotta) and cake don't belong in the same food.

As a kid I ate tunafish sandwiches with blueberry jelly.

;\)
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 05:42 PM

CAT .... "the new white meat."

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 06:12 PM

Designer pizza.

Fucking California weirdos.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 06:25 PM

Mayonnaise is repulsive. Absolutely repulsive. I refuse to even touch the jar.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 06:30 PM

Beets. They taste like dirt

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: XDCX
Mayonnaise is repulsive. Absolutely repulsive. I refuse to even touch the jar.

What?? \:o Fries w/ mayo is better than ketchup! \:p (Guess I should mention that in the other thread \:D )
Posted By: XDCX

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 10:36 PM

My sister dips her fries in mayonnaise. I just don't understand it. It's just terrible, nasty tasting stuff.

Seriously, I'd rather go on Fear Factor and eat pig balls than have mayonnaise.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 10:56 PM

Liver, kale, lima beans, beets, pig's feet; charcoaled pit beef. If I had the choice to eat just one of these or get executed I'd load the gun myself.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/10/07 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: XDCX
My sister dips her fries in mayonnaise. I just don't understand it. It's just terrible, nasty tasting stuff.

Seriously, I'd rather go on Fear Factor and eat pig balls than have mayonnaise.

I have a cousin who puts mayo on corn on the cob. When I see her do that I just wanna puke. \:x

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/11/07 01:00 AM

I like mayo. I don't like to dip my fries in it, but know people who do. I like it on a cold roast beef sandwich and of course in potato salad. \:\)

When I was a little kid, I remember that would be my afternoon snack. I'd go in the house and ask my mom for a slice of bread with mayo. She thought it was kind of odd, and I don't know what the appeal is/was but I liked it. \:D

TIS
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/11/07 02:54 PM

I love mayo on my sandwiches. Really good bread (hero or club roll), bologna (must be Boars Head), swiss, lettuce and mayo. Or chicken salad and swiss on toast with mayo.

Mayo on FRIES?? YUK!!

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/11/07 02:56 PM

They eat mayo on fries in Belgium...its not bad.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/11/07 05:48 PM

Can't say "YUK!!" without trying it first... ;\)

I used to get a giggle out my friends by popping (chewing on) coffee creamers in my mouth -- or better, squeezing a tube of mayo (or mustard) in my mouth \:D

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 12:12 AM

I have a sort of love-hate relationship with eggs.

I will eat them when they are cooked into or added to certain dishes. In fact, often times I actually like them. I use them in pasta carbonara, an amazingly incredible Italian cold tuna sauce (I may post that recipe), pasta dough, some types of salads (using sliced hard-boiled eggs), fried rice, and general baking (if and when required).

However, I can't stand eggs that are scrambled (that includes omelettes, but strangely enough, not fried rice), poached, soft boiled, over easy (or pan-fried in general), raw (as a hangover remedy) or thrown at me in any way.

Don't care for egg salad or scrambled egg whites, either.

Signor V.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:16 AM

I too can't eat mayonnaise or ricotta cheese. I also no longer like mushrooms.

I can eat liver fried in bacon. As a kid, my grandmother, who is now 93 and has been smoking like a fiend since she was in her early 20s, used to make liver dumplings saturated in butter and sprinkled with salt. I couldn't stop eating that.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
As a kid, my grandmother, who is now 93 and has been smoking like a fiend since she was in her early 20s, used to make liver dumplings saturated in butter and sprinkled with salt.

Don't tell her now but all that stuff will shorten her life.

93!! God bless her!

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:21 AM

Liver dumplings?? I LOVE liver, and I don't know if I could eat that. Were they really good?

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:28 AM

I can't stand pickles.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Mignon
I can't stand pickles.

I LOVE sour garlic pickles (slightly soft). They go perfect with a pastrami on rye.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:36 AM

I like half-sour pickles, but they have to be crunchy.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:41 AM

My son likes to eat those huge kosher dills then he likes to breath in my face. \:x My son is weird he likes to drink the pickle juice. \:x

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:42 AM

I don't eat pickles that often. When I do, I like sweet and dill. I don't like pickles (or relish)on my burger, but don't mind them on the side. \:\)

TIS

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:44 AM

My son is weird he likes to drink the pickle juice.

I used to like to do that, too.

Then I discovered scotch!

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I don't like pickles (or relish)on my burger, but don't mind them on the side.

Hamburger toppings! Now THAT'S a topic for discussion!

Gimme a thin slice of Bermuda onion OR an onion ring and I'll be happy.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:51 AM

Yea onion rings on a burger. Delish

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:53 AM

I hate going to a diner and ordering a hamburger only to find them bring me a plate with lettuce and tomatoes on it (for the hamburger). If I wanted a damned salad I'd order one!!

The tomato and lettuce immediately go onto the table (or the floor if I'm in a disagreeable mood).

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:53 AM

Definintely a large onion on the burger! My ideal burger is simply cheese (swiss or provolone but I like most any cheese), a little bit of catsup, not too soggy though, and mushrooms would top it off for me. \:\) On the side a salad with bleu cheese dressing and a cup of coffee.

TIS

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 02:56 AM

and mushrooms would top it off for me.

You can take the girl out of California, but you can't take California out of the girl.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 03:01 AM

and mushrooms would top it off for me.

You can take the girl out of California, but you can't take California out of the girl.

I'm laughing. I've been in a silly mood all day. Only, why am I laughing? They don't have mushrooms on burgers on the East Coast or what???

TIS

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 03:04 AM

They don't have mushrooms on burgers on the East Coast or what???

Sure they do. Its listed on our menus as a California Burger. \:p

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 03:04 AM

Another thing I don't like is mushrooms.

SC, You make me laugh

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 03:05 AM

SC, You make me laugh

You saw me naked??? \:o

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 03:13 AM

They don't have mushrooms on burgers on the East Coast or what???

Sure they do. Its listed on our menus as a California Burger. \:p

Ha ha!! Really? Maybe they are here too. I never noticed. I guess you're right, you can't take the California out of the girl!!! ;\)

TIS

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 03:16 AM

I'm kiddin' ya, TIS.

Why is it we eat a part of an animal on a bun and then try to rationalize we hafta make it "healthy" by adding all sorts of things from the garden (tomato, lettuce, onion, mushroom. etc.)?

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 01:14 PM

cheese (swiss or provolone but I like most any cheese) and mushrooms

TIS

Don't listen to them TIS. This east coaster likes a good Mushroom/Swiss burger every once in a while.

Why is it we eat a part of an animal on a bun and then try to rationalize we hafta make it "healthy" by adding all sorts of things from the garden (tomato, lettuce, onion, mushroom. etc.)?

Hello? Is this Spumoni Gardens? Yes....Can I get a delivery please?...Ok.....I'd like a large Sicilian pie and a bottle of diet pepsi.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 04:05 PM

Mushrooms and olives are another thing to put on my "Can't stand" list. My daughter's grandmother would make the best lasagna, but she put mushrooms in it. Even if you try to pick them out, you still have that mushroom taste.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 04:06 PM

I'm sitting here at work like a good little girl eating my chicken and rice soup. All this talk of hamburgers has me craving for something I can sink my teeth into, not just slurp.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/12/07 05:39 PM

There is only one kind of mushroom I can stand. I don't know the name of them. I don't like olives either. Pickles have to be crunchy.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/13/07 12:30 AM

SC, You make me laugh

You saw me naked??? \:o

Was that you?

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/13/07 11:41 AM

I was reminded yesterday of another food I can't stand...cranberry sauce. What exactly type of food is that anyway? Looks like something Barney the dinosaur would spit out.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/14/07 10:55 AM

I've never liked cranberry sauce either. Every Thanksgiving, cans of the stuff would go flying off the shelves, and usually straight onto the dinner tables of all my relatives.

Whether the "regular" type, or the jellied version, I just couldn't stand the taste of it.

Then, around 2004, Signora V. said we should try to make it from scratch. So, I bought fresh cranberries, she found a recipe she liked, and we started cooking.

Well, I thought it was even worse than the stuff from a can. I think it made me look something like Sylvester the cat after Elmer Fudd put alum in his milk. Way too tart (among other things) for me. She said that this was the way it should taste, and she was quite happy. So, I guess it wasn't a total loss.

For the record, I also strongly dislike the taste of cranberry juice. I do know, however, that the juice has medicinal benefits.

Signor V.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/14/07 11:39 AM

For the record, I also strongly dislike the taste of cranberry juice.

Signor V.

That's because you've never had it with vodka! ;\)

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/14/07 04:12 PM

My mother makes her own cranberry sauce every Thanksgiving. I'm with you, SV. Homemade or canned, the stuff does NOT appeal to me. Since I usually host Thanksgiving, I often forget to even buy it, since we won't eat it. Then my mother-in-law started bringing her own can, and I got the hint.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/15/07 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
For the record, I also strongly dislike the taste of cranberry juice.

Signor V.

That's because you've never had it with vodka! ;\)

That's a natural diuretic. I know because my wife used to drink it during her period.

What is it, your period?

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/15/07 10:09 PM

I never liked cranberry juice either. When I was first married that was my husband's constant drink.

I could live without cranberries on Thanksgiving, but usually still have it because it's traditional, \:\/ and my family only eats very little of it. I do make this great jello though with both strawberries and cranberries in it and everyone seems to like that. But juice alone, or even the berry itself...nope!!!As a matter of fact the only juices I really like are orange and tomato.

TIS

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/15/07 10:25 PM

I like cranberry juice. Also apple cranberry juice, grape cranberry juice. But I don't eat cranberry sauce.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/16/07 05:22 AM

Cranberry juice has been acknowledged by doctors to have beneficial effects for people who suffer from chronic (or recurring) bladder inflammation.

Around 25 years ago, my ex-girlfriend had these problems and was always drinking cranberry juice. I'm not sure if this is something that affects women primarily, but the juice definitely helps.

Signor V.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/16/07 05:04 PM

Yes, it does, SV. It has something to do with balancing the Ph.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/16/07 05:23 PM

Cranberry juice is supposed to be helpful for many things, but the problem is those Ocean Spray "cocktails" are only 10% juice.... you're better off taking a supplement...

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/16/07 09:43 PM

Damn, I use a quote from the Departed and no one notices.

Re: I Can't Stand... - 09/17/07 06:22 PM

You know what I can't stand?

When I go to the supermarket to do my food shopping, and there are fat people using those motorized shopping carts out of laziness. It makes me crazy. They're honking at me, blocking me from getting what I need, then I see them out in the parking lot and they're moving around better than I do.

I know it's the food thread, but it's almost related.

Fat bastards. \:p
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET