Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 05/16/06 01:56 AM

Good

Bad
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 05/16/06 03:43 PM

I have a hunch how this poll may go..... :rolleyes:
Posted By: OZUPOIRAM

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 05/30/06 07:52 PM

I know, I just wanted to prove to a friend of mine who said it was good just how bad it really was.
Posted By: Mr.MojoRisin

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 05/30/06 11:52 PM

It's pretty bad.
Posted By: Mr. Bobby Fontaine

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 06/01/06 03:26 PM

I'm sorry fellas, but I've read this one twice; it's the closest thing to Puzo we could get! Look back at The Godfather (the novel): all that stuff with the size of Lucy's pudenda, and the death of Fanucci (Sonny witnessed that)...it's a very different tone than the movies, in my opinion. And I like what this guy has done with the characters...we all knew there was SOMETHIN' wrong with Fredo, now we know what it was...it answers all kinds of questions for me, and Hell...I really LIKED THE BOOK. I waited for the paperback, too, so you know I wasn't too overly gassed for "any and every" product that came down the pike. Really, gimme a list...what the fuck was wrong with The Godfather Returns?!
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 06/01/06 09:57 PM

Well, seeing as a list of all the "bad things" about The Godfather Returns would take up too much space, I thought I'd make a list of all the things I liked about it. I'll try to be fair:
Posted By: waynethegame

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 06/01/06 10:32 PM

Quote:
what the fuck was wrong with The Godfather Returns?!
The most important thing wrong with it is because that sonofabitch Winegardner took liberty to chane things that were ESTABLISHED ALREADY BY THE MOVIES. The details and such I can forgive (aside from his lame-ass Geraci character that he tried to hype up as being a badass), but changing canon? Bullshit.
Posted By: Mr. Bobby Fontaine

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 06/05/06 03:12 PM

Okay, okay...agree to disagree then?

'Cause (and I'm just talking BOOKS here) I'm quite satisfied with the tone and style; I think they mirror what Puzo accomplished and intended in his novel. Change canon? What?
From a literary standpoint, it's wonderful to have these characters back, doing what they do. I dug this book the most, guys, I honestly did...and I'm inclined to believe that nothing but a fourth film installment will satisfy you, the Godfather Movie Crowd. Selah.
Posted By: finsnasty84

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 10/28/06 01:32 PM

i didnt mind it. I got it for 7.99 at CVS. I enjoyed it.
Posted By: Brwne Byte

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 10/29/06 09:36 PM

I liked it
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 11/01/06 02:46 PM

I never really thought Puzo was a great writer anyways, and the original book didn't wow me as something comparable to a Hemingway or a Dickens by any means.

So, if we're using that standard, Winegardner did a good job of trying to write like Puzo. Whether that's a compliment or not is arguable. However, The Godfather Returns is a mediocre book at best, especially since some of the ideas (most notably Fredo being gay) pretty much relegate the hardcover edition to being a dusty doorstop rather than a place on the bookshelf.
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 12/19/06 02:00 PM

This was one of the worst books I've ever read. Partly because it was based on something so great -- the original novel and the films -- but even as a stand alone book, I still think it's a piece of sh!t.
Posted By: manicmontana

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 02/12/07 12:11 AM

i just read it the other day..im a big fan of the godfather saga..but not a HUGE one like the rest of you guys ...but ive read all the books and this one just didnt do it for me...i cant quite put my finger on it though...oh well not everything puzo touches is gold..i guess...laters
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 02/12/07 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: manicmontana
i just read it the other day..im a big fan of the godfather saga..but not a HUGE one like the rest of you guys ...but ive read all the books and this one just didnt do it for me...i cant quite put my finger on it though...oh well not everything puzo touches is gold..i guess...laters

Did you read the book jacket, Manic ? Mario Puzo didn't write the book, Mark Winegardner did. Mario Puzo has been dead for almost 8 years.
Posted By: manicmontana

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 02/12/07 03:58 AM

shit..well thats embarassing..didnt even notice...i shoudeve though...thanks for picking up on my mistake pizzaboy..im less naive now.lol
Posted By: Buttmunker

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 04/01/07 04:59 PM

Mario Puzo's "The Godfather Returns" was a disaster.

Just kidding...about the author part. It was horrible, how stupid to change established facts! I stopped after a quarter of the way.

"The Godfather" novel was a very excellent read (even the parts about Johnny Fontaine once you got into it), but even Puzo couldn't follow it up successfully. The book "The Sicilian" had a small portion about Michael in Sicily during his exile, but even Puzo couldn't keep the timeline or facts right (I forget exactly what, but I recognized that Puzo was getting stuff wrong).
Posted By: ibarramedia

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 06/27/07 06:24 AM

I'm not sure how i feel about this.....
Posted By: HamptonHitMan

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 06/28/07 01:27 PM

I generally like all mob, mafia, Godfather (fantasy or fiction) books. I thought the subjects and stories behind the stories in this were boring and lacked significance to the overall Godfather story. In my opinion this book sucked!

I don't know what other books Mark Winegardner wrote but, based on "The Godfather Returns" I'll never read them.

I really liked Puzo's "The Sicilian" and "The Last Don" BTW.

Rick
Posted By: jpierre

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 07/16/07 04:58 PM

I am half-way through the book, The Godfather Returns. And so far, I think all bonafide Godfather fans should get together and file a class action law suit against Winegardner, and Random House, for hiring him.

The book is horrible. The only reason I'm sticking it out is because I've already invested so much time into reading it (I'm up to chapter 15). Winegardner is not a good writer. His style is boring and innefectual. He wastes his time detailing things of little significance, which hampers his storytelling. His grammer is poor. His character development is tedious. So far, I am not finding this book entertaining at all.

Random House should have commissioned Carol Gino, Mario Puzo's widow, close confidant and writing companion to write this book. Carol Gino is an exceptional author, and was the one who finished Mario Puzo's manuscript, The Family, pursuant to Puzo's death.

I, myself, am an author. And from one author to another, Winegardner, you are way out of your league.

Now, with the publication of The Godfather's Revenge, it's obvious that Random House does not care about Mario Puzo's memory or the legend that he created. Like all big publishers, they are just out to make a quick buck, by any means neccessary. Godfather Returns is sacrilege, and I can assure you that I won't be reading "Revenge" any time soon.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 07/16/07 05:09 PM

Welcome JPierre.

Posted By: JMDII

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 08/17/07 01:38 AM

This book is S***. I bet that Puzo is rolling over in his grave due to this pile of s***. The story is s*** and this guy can't write worth a f***. He should sleep with the fishes.
Posted By: SC

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 08/17/07 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: JMDII
This book is S***. I bet that Puzo is rolling over in his grave due to this pile of s***. The story is s*** and this guy can't write worth a f***. He should sleep with the fishes.

Aw c'mon, tell us what you really think... don't hold back!

Welcome to the boards, JMDII
Posted By: JMDII

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 08/17/07 01:55 AM

LOL-thanks. I just love Puzo's work so much and I think that these new novels are such a disgrace.
Posted By: SC

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 08/17/07 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: JMDII
I just love Puzo's work so much and I think that these new novels are such a disgrace.

You have a lot of company here that agrees with you.
Posted By: CrazyJoey

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 08/20/07 06:19 PM

I read "Godfather's Revenge" and it was so boring I threw it out half way through...along with the bottle of vino it took to get that far.

Can anyone explain who Mark Winegartner is in relation to Puzo? How did he come about writing sequels to The Godfather?

Thanks.
Posted By: FatherMcKenzie

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 12/20/07 09:54 PM

Good. Not as good as the original classic, but still a very good novel.

Parts of it, like the original, are boring, especially with respect to the stories about Francesca and Johnny Fontaine, but believe me, you'll respect Francesca by the end.

The ending is action packed, Francesca kicks ass and Hagen kicks major ass, and and you'll run out to buy Revenge like I did. Winegardner is a worthy author for the job, although I would have preferred an Italian or Sicilian to do the honor lol

If you're a true Godfather fan, you gotta read it to get the down low on how the family and the other families evolve in the time not covered by Puzo's novels. You just gotta.
Posted By: FatherMcKenzie

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 12/20/07 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Buttmunker
It was horrible, how stupid to change established facts! I stopped after a quarter of the way.

Please explain. I found nothing inconsistent with Puzo's original work, instead surprisingly respectful of original novel canon.
Posted By: Capo_Clemenza

Re: Godfather Returns: Good, or bad? - 05/01/14 08:12 AM

They should have left the Godfather saga alone. Same thing with The Watch Men. How can you get other guys to write novels/books that the other guy did? The Godfather already explained everything so it was no need to try and make up new stories. Especially having Fredo found out to be gay when in fact Fredo's was a big womanizer meaning he loved pu$$y. That's just as bad as killing off Tom Hagen and sending Michael a dead baby Alligator with Hagen's wallet in its mouth. Clearly taking from "sleeping with the fishes". Horrible books. Just as bad as Godfather 3 the movie.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET