Home

the BIG question maybe spoilers

Posted By: billy mac

the BIG question maybe spoilers - 12/30/04 10:56 PM

For me GFR is nothing more than fun fan-fiction, the type I myself might write (tho not as well).

I remember reading that it was intended to be a sequel to the original novel. I also remember thinking that if that was the case, the author could go anywhere with the story, as he woulnd't be bound by what happened in the movies.

It seems that he was bound at least by GF2. He briefly details Fredo's murder and mentions Hyman Roth etc...

Here's my question; If one hadn't seen any of the movies, but only read the books, wouldn't there be a whole lot of confusion?

Wouldn't we demand details of Kay's leaving, Fredo's betrayal, Roth's plots and so forth?

It seems to be an incomplete book without the movies.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: the BIG question maybe spoilers - 12/31/04 03:22 AM

I wouldnt go so far as to call it fanfiction, as any fan could have done a better job. In that same line, I think if you didnt see the movies you would be very confused, as most of us here, who can quote all 3 movies line for line were confused.

In any event,welcome to the boards.
Posted By: DonGenco

Re: the BIG question maybe spoilers - 01/16/05 07:36 AM

I think he was just trying to write the book as a sequel to The Godfather without contradicting the movies. He just depended too much on the movies for him to get inspiration. But yet, he still does things that do not go in coordination with the book. Like Vito's mother's death. And also, Francesca married off to some other WASP, not a billy van asdale. You can only see this though in a deleted scene for GFII.
Posted By: goombah

Re: the BIG question maybe spoilers - 01/30/05 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonGenco:
And also, Francesca married off to some other WASP, not a billy van asdale. You can only see this though in a deleted scene for GFII.
I wondered the same thing - what happened to Gardner Shaw? As much I didn't like 99% of the Francesca/Kathy storyline, the ending was a surprise to me.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET