Home

*Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler*

Posted By: Don Vanchenzo

*Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* - 12/18/04 06:23 AM

Spoiler Alert

I just started the book and here's my take:

1. The introduction of Geraci is done fairly well; however, he is forced down the reader's throat immediately. Ironically, I find this to be the similar manner that FFC forced Frank Pentangeli down us in GFII. I would have preferred a more gradual acquaintance.

2. Tessio's hit was well done vis a vis the methods followed. It is totally plausible.

3. I do not believe Winegardner came anywhere close to the mark regarding the portrayal of Tessio himself. Example being the vulgarity used by Sally at the time immediately prior to his execution. Both the novel and the movies portrayed Tessio as a tough, old school capo who did not share Clemenza's flare for colorful language. Rather than having Tessio staring at the ground, I would have thought Tessio would have been head up to survey the situation. He was dead, he knew it. As Mike said, Tessio was the smarter capo.

4. I imagine Tessio watching his death unfold in an almost objective way -- "Who will do it? Neri could have killed me right away with the other guys. Why are they waiting? Is Mike gonna make Pete do it? Is that Mike's revenge for Pete's mistake with Paulie Gatto? Surely not. He must want someone to make his bones. But who? Oh, wait, who just came in? Mother Mary it's Geraci! That's clever. It's a real test. Mike must have big things in mind for him."

5. Neri would never have put more than one bullet in the gun. Geraci was a friend of Tessio's (Geraci was wearing the watch Sally had given him for graduation when Geraci killed him) and who could tell if Geraci would have tried something. Neri was way too careful to do something so stupid.

6. Winegardner did not tie Geraci into Sally well enough given that Geraci was one of the guys used by Clemenza and Pauli Gatto to attack the thugs that violated Amerigo's daughter. They were known as truck-drivers in the novel so perhaps Geraci drove truck for Tessio and was on loan to Clemenza for the attack; but, that goes unstated. The implication is that Tessio took care of Bonesara's request and that is simply not accurate per the novel or the movie.

7. Tessio would definately speak of something being just business, definately speak italian; however, he would never say "youse". He was not Brooklin born and his dialogue in the movie and the novel was never peppered in Flatbush-eese.

8. Dodgers/Phillies game - enough's been said about that.

9. Geraci's conversation with Michael had convincing dialogue that I could hear Pacino speak. Problem is that Michael would never have called him - Vito warned Michael about using the phone. It should have been Tom and it would have been Tom.

10. Chapter 2 was very believable with Connie snuggling little Michael, Kay with her parents with the kids and Momma Corleone looking for a priest in Sin City (this really is played off the novel)

My overall take on the first 2 Chapters: C-

Any thoughts?
Posted By: JustMe

Re: *Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* - 12/18/04 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vanchenzo:
3. I do not believe Winegardner came anywhere close to the mark regarding the portrayal of Tessio himself. Example being the vulgarity used by Sally at the time immediately prior to his execution.
4. I imagine Tessio watching his death unfold in an almost objective way ...
5. Neri would never have put more than one bullet in the gun. .
7. Tessio would definately speak of something being just business, definately speak italian; however, he would never say "youse".

Any thoughts?
Very interesting points!
I agree with them. I read only 1 chapter that is in the net, I don't know anything about 2. My thoughts about 1 are here.
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: *Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* - 12/20/04 10:22 PM

I agree with most of what you said. It does start out as a fairly decent novel. Be warned,your analsis as you go deeper in the book will become longer and longer with things that should never be.
Good Luck
Posted By: JustMe

Re: *Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* - 12/24/04 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
It does start out as a fairly decent novel. Be warned,your analsis as you go deeper in the book will become longer and longer with things that should never be.
Yes, that's a great problem. I have it always with GF3
But there are pretty much impossibilities in the 1 chapter also :rolleyes: .
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: *Spoiler* Analysis - Book I, Chapters 1 & 2 *Spoiler* - 01/19/06 01:52 AM

Over in the GF Trilogy Thread a new member named Frank White asked about Tessio, his death and The Godfather Returns. So I have revived this topic for him.

Don Cardi
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET