Home

c'mon....things you liked?

Posted By: Zasa

c'mon....things you liked? - 12/17/04 12:47 AM

I know that the book isn't exactly popular around these parts (casts look at DSC) but their had to be some aspects of the novel that you appreciated. Be warned, there will be spoilers in this thread.

I liked Laughing Sal's death scene where they find him in the catacombs.

I liked the whole Shea storyline, and Johnny blowing up the helipad when he found out that the Pres wasn't visiting (very Sinatra).

I liked the allusion to a future assassination and who would be responsible.

And overall I liked the arc of the story. I thought that it was a bit stifled because of the time period Winegardner insisted it be in, but he worked well with what he had. Fredo being gay wasn't that big of an insult to me as a fan(I mean, c'mon, he got a pretty big kick out of the Cuban Superman). Tom's story was good, I liked how he kind of devolved into this lameduck of a person who finally took out his agressions on Don Russo.

The biggest things that I took an issue with was the absence of Pentangeli and Cicci (Pentangeli was mentioned ONCE- and only vaguely referred to as "Frankie Pants") and Clemenza's death. I would have like the Rosato Bros./Clemenza situation explored more.

Overall I like the novel more than I disliked it, and if another sequel were to be written then I'd welcome Winegardner.

...there I said it :p
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 12/17/04 01:19 AM

Oh Zasa, you, my friend, need help. :p
Things I liked:
-The end of the book, althought it should have come 429 pages sooner
-The Kennedy storyline, but he minced that up to the point where I hated it
-The fact that the sane members of the board agree with me :p

Good topic(being serious here)because there are one or two things I'm sure everyone found mildly entertaining.

BTW-By your logic, that makes Geary fruity as well, and I'm afraid of what I might do if Winegardener is evewr approached to do another GF sequel
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 12/17/04 12:05 PM

THE COVER!!!!

Don Cardi
Posted By: DonGenco

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 01/16/05 07:42 AM

I can't think on many-correction-any parts of the book that i liked except the part where Michael is conducting the made ceremony. The part where he is telling everyone about the Family's saint. However, I will refuse to like it if it isn't true. If he just made it all up, then I will hate the book even more. However, if it is true, how that dude avenged the cruelties towards the people of Corleone just like Vito did in vebgence for his family towards Cicci, then that is the one kind of good part in the book.

oh-and I'll admit, I did like how he incorporated other minor characters from the first book (i.e. Joe Zaluchi, Vincent Forlenza...).
Posted By: TheSicilian123

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/06/05 02:19 PM

Tessio geting killed. The way he talked really didnt seem like the quite Tessio Puzo made, but I geuss about to get killed can make anyone speck like that.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/06/05 02:46 PM

Some parts of Book VI: 1920-1945... Michael's childhood was pretty interesting.

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/06/05 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b]THE COVER!!!!

Don Cardi [/b]
C'mon DC. Even the cover sucked...
Posted By: TheSicilian123

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/06/05 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b] [b]THE COVER!!!!

Don Cardi [/b]
C'mon DC. Even the cover sucked... [/b][/quote]Yeah they should have atless put the puppit hands somewhere on the thing
Posted By: belle

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/07/05 02:46 AM

Things I liked about Godfather Returns:
The fact that I got it as a gift from my boyfriend and did not have to spend actual money for it and the beautiful glow of the bonfire that I built right after I was done with the book.

Just kiddin only Nazis burn books but this one was nearly enough to push me to it.
By the way the so called author whose name I wont mention here owes me two hours of my young life that I'll never get back.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/07/05 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSicilian123:
[quote]Originally posted by Don_Andrew:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b] [b]THE COVER!!!!

Don Cardi [/b]
C'mon DC. Even the cover sucked... [/b][/quote]Yeah they should have atless put the puppit hands somewhere on the thing [/b][/quote]They would'nt have put the puppet hands on,as it has something to with the copyright laws of the original book
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/07/05 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonGenco:
However, I will refuse to like it if it isn't true. If he just made it all up, then I will hate the book even more.
Well, of course some of it's going to be made up. Winegardner decided, he had an interest in Puzo's story, so he decided to take some of it, add, and eventually, make a story of his own using characters based on that of Puzo's novel. Instead of making it more, fact-based, I think Winegardner was more focused on going his own way and getting a story going (though it did stink).

I would have to say, my favorite part would have to be the last few pages, and the section about Michael's childhood. It interested me to some extent. I don't think I'll read another book based on The Godfather if it hasn't come from Mario Puzo. He was truly an amazing person. He could come up with a great idea, and put it on paper, such as the Corleones. If another author comes out with a book based on la cosa nostra, but not on The Godfather, I would be more willing to read it. The Godfather was a classic, there's no beating it, so leave great things as they are.
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/07/05 02:36 PM

I liked the Tessio murder, and the parts about Michael's war experiences. That's it. Like 10 pages out of 430.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/07/05 02:40 PM

I liked taking it to a used book store and getting a couple of bucks back. It helped me feel that I had not wasted the total price, and it has left more space on my bookshelves for something more worthy.

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/07/05 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
I liked taking it to a used book store and getting a couple of bucks back. It helped me feel that I had not wasted the total price, and it has left more space on my bookshelves for something more worthy.
Good for you, dontomasso.
Posted By: Moscarelli

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/18/05 07:26 AM

Well I didn't care for much of it, but my little brother swears up and down that it is by far the most durable coloring book he has ever had, though, he protests, it could have used a few more pictures.

Seriously, though, I did enjoy some of the story that didn't have a lot to do with any of the characters from the original. I also really enjoyed the Johnny Fontaine's sub-story too. Other than that-it sucked...
Posted By: Sammy the Bull

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 06/27/05 02:49 AM

I like the fact that Winegardner has not written another Godfather pseudobook.

I like the fact that his "book" has a two-star review at Amazon.

I like the fact that he probably (hopefully?) will never get such a contract again.

As for the "book" itself, I liked the Godfather logo on the cover. Oh, and I "like" the fact that the hack's name is obscured, while Mario Puzo's one is prominently displayed in huge, bright letters.
Posted By: Don of Dons

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 07/07/05 01:55 PM

i like the fact --

that the first post in this thread said there would be spoilers

and stupid me kept reading -- now i cant wait.

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 07/11/05 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sammy the Bull:
...while Mario Puzo's one is prominently displayed in huge, bright letters.
I'll add that to my pile of dis-likes. It's a shame that Mario's name had to be even affiliated with this turd. But this is the buisness we choose.
Posted By: Ameer

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 07/11/05 10:54 PM

Things I liked:
1. The fact that it wasn't longer than it was.
2. The fact that Fredo is mad even dumber that he is in the movies, since it's rather entertaining.
I hope he never gets another contract like this, and I ask myself constantly, how'd he get it in the first place;bribe the publisher?
Posted By: Mignon

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 08/10/05 11:33 PM

I finally finished it after 8 months of owning it. And what I liked was:

1. How Clemenza cried after Tessio died

2. How Sonny's daughter murdered her husband.

3. That's about it.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 08/11/05 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
How Sonny's daughter murdered her husband.
The subplot that led up to the murder was good, with a nice surprise twist, I thought.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 08/11/05 07:12 AM

I liked it that the library in the next town from us had a book sale, so I was able to donate this piece of crap and never have to see it again.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 08/11/05 02:42 PM

That's funny Turnbull
Posted By: Joe Batters

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 08/11/05 03:18 PM

Winegardner smells like choad and Lumberger Cheese..........Seriously I met him.....and I think it rubbed off on the book?
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 08/15/05 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
I liked it that the library in the next town from us had a book sale, so I was able to donate this piece of crap and never have to see it again.
Turnbull I actually got 30 cents for it at a place that buys used books. After deducting for gasoline I may have made a dime.
Posted By: Joeybats

Re: c'mon....things you liked? - 09/26/05 02:11 PM

I'm glad I waited for this book to come out in paperback. That price I can deal with. My biggest issue with the book is the pacing and non-ending of the book. It reeked of a "part 1" mentality.
On the good side I liked the fleshing out of the characters of Sonny's kids. Although every time Fran's little boy "Sonny" came into the picture I imagined the kid who came to school on the "short bus" if you know what I mean.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET